• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

ArtistDude88 said:
Phssss. I don't use DR, 'cause I'm awesome!
I generally only use the DR when I'm using the Kunai, big earner or Fez set. Otherwise I prefer the timepiece.

That said, for the last few days I've been trying to play only using item sets, so the means I have to use the DR. Also, the engineer has no sets, so i just call the Gunslinger, Justice Wrangler combo a set ;(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
divisionbyzorro said:
Okay. So let's say that I'm playing Soldier, and I spot someone on my team acting weird. I shoot them with a rocket, and it turns out to be Metaphorically/ArtistDude/RandomJerkface using the Dead Ringer. At this point, I really don't know what to do.

• I could try to chase him down, but the nature of the cloak is going to make that insanely difficult. If I succeed, that's great, but he's still forced me to engage him for at least 6.5 seconds, and it'll take me another 6.5 seconds to get back to the action, so it's still not a total loss for him.
  • If I try to chase him down and don't find him, at best I've wasted time for nothing. At worst, he's stalking me and will take me down the moment my back is turned.
  • Or he could be a failspy, uncloaks poorly, and gets taken down easy. But that doesn't generally happen on the GAF server.
  • So what I usually try to do is announce it to my team, grab the nearest ammo pack, and move on - ever vigilant and listening for the uncloak. But he still partially wins because now I'm paranoid; I'm checking my back, I'm moving slower, and generally being less effective. And it seems that I end up getting backstabbed anyway.

Ugh. In the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, DR sucks. I totally get why you guys complain about it so much.

1. Run to nearest metal/health -> He has to decloak some time. It's not a 'net loss' when you figure he can backstab 3 people or more AND sap teles causing more time loss.
2. Do your best and at least call him out -> If you notice my rage, it was cause people were doing literally NOTHING (sorry chesskid1). So long as someone is at least actively checking, it'll make his job harder.
3. There's a very clear distinction between DR and regular cloak -> I tab quickly to see if I got him and tab again to see if his name has popped up to at least warn myself he's out there
4. You're not taking enough looks back -> Again, you need to realize that handling a spy helps the entire team out. You don't do it? Well, the medic gets it or the engie gets it and YOU may have saved time, but realistically your team had a net loss.

This would be different if it were comp play. I'd say don't worry about it and just keep checking back, but for PUG play, just be more 'aware' and make the effort.

e.g. Today. I was healing a heavy on the cart, and kept taking quick looks back (medics don't need to be facing their patient). He, for whatever reason, cloaks RIGHT BEHIND the heavy and the heavy dies, but at least I stab Metaphorically for good.

Once you've mastered the basics, the next step is to work on positioning. Comp players have fantastic positioning. There's one dude, Zate, that can massacre the other team if he has a pocket on him. The ONLY way to kill him is backstab or snipe. When those two are your only options, you're fucked.

When I'm really paying attention, my back is to the wall, I listen for any cloaking sounds, I position so that I have a clear view of my patient and can escape if he dies or if someone comes from behind.

As a medic, you don't really need to see your pocket's activities. I don't care if he's destroying the other team; I'm focused on positioning, dodging, looking for suspicious activity, and knifing spies.

I think tonight Meta only got me when I gave up and was playing sniper. But when I was medic, I managed to dominate him. I REALLY tried to make it hard for him to stab me without me seeing it.

So, what I learned today is:
Code:
- Very few know how to destroy a sentry.
- Don't turn around most of the time
- Don't help their Engineers (THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF 2/3 SPIES AND AN UBER THEMSELVES RIGH)
- Pyros don't airblast DR spies into a corner so the assholes meet their death.
- People on RED run from the cart.
- You guys are making me Kuro V2, and I'm a scrub level player holyshit.

Zel3

My first time on the Neogaf server was fun. The skill level was much higher than I expected, but I had a good time, might jump back in and see if I can do better this time. My name was Galactic Hero. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Was that really the first time you played on our server?

Had to kick some kid on Upward, since he just trolling us, floating around as a demoman using the Civilian glitch. Did nothing else, gave him about 5 minutes to actually do anything, but nope.

Yeef

AcciDante said:
If you're on my team and playing demoknight, I don't like you >:[
I really wish they'd give Demoknights a different icon on the scoreboard. I'll often avoid switching to demo to take out a sentry nest when i see we have one. Then five minutes later I'm watching on dead cam and it turns out it's a demoknight.

Zel3

Drkirby said:
Was that really the first time you played on our server?

Had to kick some kid on Upward, since he just trolling us, floating around as a demoman using the Civilian glitch. Did nothing else, gave him about 5 minutes to actually do anything, but nope.

Yeah. I usually just hang out in the trade thread but today I decided to jump in. :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
Code:
- Don't turn around most of the time
- Don't help their Engineers (THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF 2/3 SPIES AND AN UBER THEMSELVES RIGH)
- Pyros don't airblast DR spies into a corner so the assholes meet their death.
- People on RED run from the cart.
- You guys are making me Kuro V2, and I'm a scrub level player holyshit.

Vintage rage? Genuine rage? Unusual rage? Strange rage? Unique rage? Self-made rage? Community rage? Valve rage? Normal rage?

I hope you remember this when others are harping on me for harping on others... >:D

Sgt.Pepper said:
Code:

These two go hand-in-hand. If you don't realize how easy it really is to take down a sentry nest, then you don't realize how much your friendly engineer actually needs your help.

Hazaro said:
It's cool I kill sentries without trying.
Tell that to the people when we played Thundermountain. I was on the winning team, but really BLU owns Orellio a lot since he was the one that destroy my sentry, too bad it was way too late.

Yeef

A single unattended sentry is generally easy to take out with any class. A single sentry that is being repaired is easy pickings for either of the explosive classes as well as the spy. A pyro can take it out as well if it's in a bad position or if he can manage to reflect the rockets in such a way that they kill the engineer.

Two or more sentries that cover each other's weak spots are a pain in the ass without an uber.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Clydefrog said:
How often does Kuro change his steam name? 5 times a day?
I'm the only one on the server that has the GG tag.

adamjensendealwithit.gif

Cornburrito/Conbrio/Obsessed...what the heck you talking about?

If you're referring to Sgt. Pepper, he meant that an engie can't handle 2/3 spies himself along with an ubercharge destroying his nest.

I HAVE been ubered as an engie, though I have the wrench and crit the shit out of everyone.

I have yet to see an engie using his weapon to destroy stickies yet. However, depending on the situation, I often explode them before they land anyways
a) it damages and panics the engie and possibly kill him if it's a crit
b) it forces him to try to fix his building instead fighting
c) it'll damage others in the surrounding area

Kuro Madoushi said:
Cornburrito/Conbrio/Obsessed...what the heck you talking about?

If you're referring to Sgt. Pepper, he meant that an engie can't handle 2/3 spies himself along with an ubercharge destroying his nest.

Ah, ok.

I thought he meant ubering the engy while his sentry was being attacked. Which would prevent him from dying so he could keep whacking it.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
I have yet to see an engie using his weapon to destroy stickies yet.
Shooting stickies is mostly useless. Stick launcher shoots slightly faster than the shotgun and has 2 extra shots per clip. I honestly can't think of a situation where it'd be useful unless you're going for that achievement.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Clydefrog said:
How often does Kuro change his steam name? 50 times a day?
Fixed.

Yeef said:
Shooting stickies is mostly useless. Stick launcher shoots slightly faster than the shotgun and has 2 extra shots per clip. I honestly can't think of a situation where it'd be useful unless you're going for that achievement.
This is the entire purpose of the Short Circuit. It costs 35 metal, but it will get rid of them all. It is a defensive weapon.

Can't do anything about Heavies though.

With proper timing and a well placed dispenser, you should be able to fend off a few solders and Demomen, though you are very open to spies.

And doesn't the Short Circuit serves for that purpose? It seems to have a very wide range too (from the videos I've seen anyway, still don't have it).

Yeef

Yeah. Short Circuit shoots even more slowly than the shotgun, but, like the wrangler, it has a bit of aim assist. It can also destroy multiple projectiles at once.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
Yeah. Short Circuit shoots even more slowly than the shotgun, but, like the wrangler, it has a bit of aim assist. It can also destroy multiple projectiles at once.
A bit of aim assist? It homes in on any target in range, you don't have to aim it a lick.

Like I said, timing. If he is tossing pipes, short out each one. If it is stickies, do it every other (When the second one is in the air and you can hit it).

Takes a lot of good timing, and you are going need to dispense to keep up the offense. You are more or less better of with a single Engineer having Short Circuit duty, while the other one tries to repair the buildings and has a wrangler to take care of people able to shoot the stuff from a range.

I hope Valve still introduces the Heavy Minigun that can shoot down projectiles. Would have to have a sizable damage nerf, but it should be a great counter to Demo's and Soilders (Hopefully would also take down arrows and flares)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
I was referring to Short Circuit...I don't keep up with all these new fangled weapon names.

I still have yet to see anyone protect their nest using it though.

3vdV6.jpg

you are already dead reference here

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kuro Madoushi said:
I was referring to Short Circuit...I don't keep up with all these new fangled weapon names.

I still have yet to see anyone protect their nest using it though.
I did it once, upon which I started laughing maniacally at the demoman who could not kill it, then, seconds later, a scout capped the point, since I put the sentry in a bad spot and was to busy maniacally laughing to notice.

Tenck

Was fun following Yeef as his pocket medic tonight. Medic is a fun class, and I should help out my team more by switching to Medic.

With the absurd ping spikes I get on that server, I'd say Medic will be my most useful class.

What would an alternate shotgun specifically for removing stickies require? More firing speed? Faster reload time? More bullets per shot? More bullets per clip? Slight auto-aim? More damage against stickies? (I realize stickies die in 1 hit anyway, but just the stat being listed on the weapon might get more people to use it that way)

Yeef

Got another hat drop...

German Gonzila. my personal favorite medic hat, but I already have one, so this one's just an extra.

I'm beginning to think that Valve has adjusted the hat drop rate so that accounts with no hats and/or newer accounts get a higher hat drop rate. All these hats that I'm getting are on idle accounts and I just trade them to my main right away. They never even actually hit the idle backpacks thanks to Steam Trade Beta.

Also, a boatload of replays:

Everyone's a Loser!

Whoreoleo's Lament

S*M*A*S*H

Alley Oop

Harvestin'

Couples Therapy
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Chesskid1

Banned
yeah i just found my 2nd hat in like 3 days. weird, cause i've heard it takes months to get a hat drop. to be fair, i dont think i found any hats before them since i started playing (when it went f2p). it feels like things drop faster, but idk if its just cause it says drops in chat now.

ol geezer and now a furious fukkiashama or whatever. pretty nice, but i'm still missing a few weapons that are pretty much a must for a few classes. oh well, maybe i'll stop being lazy and learn how crafting works soon.

Chesskid1 said:
yeah i just found my 2nd hat in like 3 days. weird, cause i've heard it takes months to get a hat drop. to be fair, i dont think i found any hats before them since i started playing (when it went f2p). it feels like things drop faster, but idk if its just cause it says drops in chat now.

ol geezer and now a furious fukkiashama or whatever. pretty nice, but i'm still missing a few weapons that are pretty much a must for a few classes. oh well, maybe i'll stop being lazy and learn how crafting works soon.
Crafting is really straight forward in this game. You have blueprints and they tell you what you need. But right now you shouldn't be crafting since you could probably get them for less than the required materials. Check tf2tp.com and search for the weapons you want.

cooljeanius said:
What would an alternate shotgun specifically for removing stickies require? More firing speed? Faster reload time? More bullets per shot? More bullets per clip? Slight auto-aim? More damage against stickies? (I realize stickies die in 1 hit anyway, but just the stat being listed on the weapon might get more people to use it that way)

Fast weapon switch. By the time you notice that stickies are landing near your build, even if you switch to the shotgun or pistol immediately, by the time it will let you start firing, it's probably too late.

But Engineer anti-Sticky weapons are pretty pointless anyway, your best bet is to jump away from your stuff, maybe you can save a building if it's far enough away from the bombs and you can grab it fast enough, but even that's rare.

It almost needs to be something like a weapon that does an AOE burst on Right-Click that destroys Stickies and Pipes, but it disables your Sentry for several seconds afterward. Or maybe it removes your ability to pick up buildings with Right-Click, but that'd be a miserable trade-off.

Bakphoon

Drkirby said:
I have been pretty sure for months now that with the F2P update, valve increased the hat drop rate.

LIES! ALL LIES!

Haven got any hat drop since early july :( And i have 2 premium accounts.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kulock said:
Fast weapon switch. By the time you notice that stickies are landing near your build, even if you switch to the shotgun or pistol immediately, by the time it will let you start firing, it's probably too late.

But Engineer anti-Sticky weapons are pretty pointless anyway, your best bet is to jump away from your stuff, maybe you can save a building if it's far enough away from the bombs and you can grab it fast enough, but even that's rare.

It almost needs to be something like a weapon that does an AOE burst on Right-Click that destroys Stickies and Pipes, but it disables your Sentry for several seconds afterward. Or maybe it removes your ability to pick up buildings with Right-Click, but that'd be a miserable trade-off.
So, is the Short Circuit, which does an AOE burst on activation that destroys all nearby Stickies, Pipes, and Rockets, not good enough?

Avocado

Is it really true, that your drop rate resets every thursday, and that you only get a certain amount of drops every 7 days, and that if you get all of those drops you no longer get anymore before thursday?

Because I've played for at least 5 hours the last two days, and I haven't gotten a single drop :(

vanty

Avocado said:
Is it really true, that your drop rate resets every thursday, and that you only get a certain amount of drops every 7 days, and that if you get all of those drops you no longer get anymore before thursday?

Because I've played for at least 5 hours the last two days, and I haven't gotten a single drop :(
Something like that yeah.

Anyway I just found the geisha hat for medic. Only my third random drop hat, first was pyro rubber glove and second was engineer ear protectors. So now if anyone wants my medic night-vision goggles I'll trade them for a good pyro, scout or heavy hat. They're vintage as well if anyone actually cares about that.

divisionbyzorro said:
Or just go Gunslinger Engie.

It's the only way I like to play Engineer anyway these days. I just don't have the necessary zen-like quality to play a true engineer; losing your stuff and having to rebuild it again just frustrates the hell out of me and I cease having fun.

And, lets face it, who likes not having fun?

There are only 2 maps that I actually enjoy going Engy, but you have to move fast. But if done right, and if I get a buddy with me, I can rack some some serious kills.

You all probably know this, but I'll share anyway as it can be fun.
1. In Goldrush, if you can get a level 3 sentry looking at the closed gate, lvl2+ dispencer and your tele in the room up the stairs, as soon as they take the first point, the gate opens and the sentry constantly unleashes. If you got a heavy with you, they will never get through, nor will they concentrate on the cart. I've racked up something like 40 to 50 kills to 1 sentry and even then you can go back a little, quickly make another sentry for luck before bailing out. You'll get your crits with your Frontier Justice too.

In order to the get the sentry up there, you need to create a lvl 3, put it under the bridge facing the wall with the hole, rocket jump, destroy it and build it again after putting down your tele. Depending on how quick they are moving the cart, depends on the time you have.

2. In Badwater, before the 2nd point, there is a roof (above the open room) you can rocket jump to and get a sentry up there near the edge. you need more team work as demo's can chuck a few grenades from the opposite side behind the roof block. If it goes well, they got no chance of getting the cart to the 2nd point.

Both give me plenty of lols especially when you getting notthing but DING! DING! DING!'s and the Dominating sounds!

Drkirby said:
So, is the Short Circuit, which does an AOE burst on activation that destroys all nearby Stickies, Pipes, and Rockets, not good enough?

Probably not? If it's going to be a serious counter to stickies, it has to be accessible no matter which weapon you have out, or you have to be able to get to it and fire fast. By the time you realize your stuff is being stickied and switch to the Short Circuit, the Demo's probably already hitting the detonator.

To be honest, maybe I haven't messed with the Short Circuit as much as I should have. Still, having it out means you can't be repairing, upgrading, or helping another Engineer's buildings, nor can you effectively Spy Check (unless they keep the Dead Ringer on 24/7). If you have any chance of using it, you have to be sitting there with it out all the time. Maybe that's a fair trade-off, I should probably mess with it more the more I look at it.

Yeef said:
A single unattended sentry is generally easy to take out with any class. A single sentry that is being repaired is easy pickings for either of the explosive classes as well as the spy. A pyro can take it out as well if it's in a bad position or if he can manage to reflect the rockets in such a way that they kill the engineer.

Two or more sentries that cover each other's weak spots are a pain in the ass without an uber.

So what's better: two engineers with the Southern Hospitality or one engineer and a Homewrecker pyro?

You CAN reflect sentry's rockets as a Pyro ? Never been able to: either I die to fast from machine guns fire, or the timing is just off because rockets are so fast

UnluckyKate said:
You CAN reflect sentry's rockets as a Pyro ? Never been able to: either I die to fast from machine guns fire, or the timing is just off because rockets are so fast
yes...but without a medic you wont win (the bullets will kill you)

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
First off, I'd like to publicly thank AcciDante for the sniper rifle. Thanks!

And some asshat hunted me down last night and kept trying to get me to trade my reggaelator. So I was like, make me an offer. And he was like, um, uh, how about $50. I was like, *close*. What is the worth of a brand new never before seen unusual hat?

sixghost

JackFrost said:
yes...but without a medic you wont win (the bullets will kill you)
If you have a corner to work with you can pop in and out of the sentry's vision and you can get it to shoot the rockets without taking much damage at all.

It's fairly hard to do it right though.

vermadas

Zel3 said:
My first time on the Neogaf server was fun. The skill level was much higher than I expected, but I had a good time, might jump back in and see if I can do better this time. My name was Galactic Hero. :)

Yeah, I've been hitting up the GAF server for the first time this past week or so. The skill level is definitely quite high. I do well with the pyro on other servers but on GAF I get destroyed fairly often. I can still do okay as soldier though.

I love how well administered the server is. Lots of scrambling to avoid team stacking. The medics on GAF are fantastic also. So many times on pubs the medics seem like they're tethered to a heavy. The medics on GAF are great at spreading the love <3

Top Bottom