• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

Clydefrog said:
show me proof. keep daydreaming
I just got got another hat. Hatless sniper. I've seriously gotten about 7 or 8 hats in the last week or so.

UnluckyKate said:
You CAN reflect sentry's rockets as a Pyro ? Never been able to: either I die to fast from machine guns fire, or the timing is just off because rockets are so fast
What you want to do is edge the sentry's range. So you step in range for a split-second for it shoot the rockets, then you step out of range immediately. Reflect and try to hit the engineer with them. If you do it should be an instant kill. Depending on sentry placement, it's fairly hard to do though. Most of the time I've been able to do it successful has been on harvest when engineers build right outside of their spawn door. You can edge the top of the roof.

vermadas said:
I love how well administered the server is. Lots of scrambling to avoid team stacking. The medics on GAF are fantastic also. So many times on pubs the medics seem like they're tethered to a heavy. The medics on GAF are great at spreading the love <3
The server auto-scrambles based on all-time ranking. I just set it up recently and I think it's been working pretty well at balancing the teams. It used to be, though, that the teams would get stacked pretty often. Not purposely, it'd just end up that way.

I like how in Couples Therapy Part 2 you can clearly see a DR spy fake death and decloak... and it appears the Medic AND Demoman both were looking right at him. And yet both of you ignored it and he almost stabbed you.

edit:

Holy shit. I just found out The Overdose isn't a passive buff. You need to have the weapon out to get the speedboost. Fuck that shit. I should go back to the regular Syringe Gun.

Yeef

Obsessed said:
I like how in Couples Therapy Part 2 you can clearly see a DR spy fake death and decloak... and it appears the Medic AND Demoman both were looking right at him. And yet both of you ignored it and he almost stabbed you.
I think you misread the video. That's not him decloaking, just changing his disguise. In replays you can see everything a spy does even when they're cloaked.

Yeef said:
I think you misread the video. That's not him decloaking, just changing his disguise. In replays you can see everything a spy does even when they're cloaked.

Oh. My bad then.

Also I went ingame to test. It feels like The Overdose buff is passive. I don't notice any speedup when I have it out. Is the wiki wrong, or am I wrong?

Yeef

Obsessed said:
Oh. My bad then.

Also I went ingame to test. It feels like The Overdose buff is passive. I don't notice any speedup when I have it out. Is the wiki wrong, or am I wrong?
You're wrong. Medic is naturally faster than all other classes except Scout. The speed boost isn't too noticeable, but it is there. That's why it's got such a minor downside. The upside isn't that big a deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMzBxlciMs&hd=1

Yeef said:
You're wrong. Medic is naturally faster than all other classes except Scout. The speed boost isn't too noticeable, but it is there. That's why it's got such a minor downside. The upside isn't that big a deal.

Wow. And all this time I thought I was getting a little bit faster as my uber built up with my medigun out.

I guess I'll go back to the old syringe gun.

(._.)

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
You CAN reflect sentry's rockets as a Pyro ? Never been able to: either I die to fast from machine guns fire, or the timing is just off because rockets are so fast
You can reflect arrows also fyi

UnluckyKate said:

I love love love doing this and killing someone or the sentry with it. You can get just out of max range, trigger the sentry to shoot at you, then walk back out of range. That way the sentry doesn't slap your shit full of bullets and the rockets will still be coming your way for the air blast :)

I've found it strangely difficult to do on GAF, probably because of jank, but I do it on Valve servers all the time, lol.

Edit:
Clydefrog said:
You have no idea how much I rage when a reflected arrow kills me
I would of killed you with one last night on that oil field map or w/e if you didn't die a split second sooner from something else LOL

ArtistDude88 said:
Edit:

I would of killed you with one last night on that oil field map or w/e if you didn't die a split second sooner from something else LOL
Nah, that was me. Some other Sniper killed me with the Machina.

I find very hard to deflect stuff on the GAF server. I do it way better in other servers though. I dunno, sometimes a rocket seems close enough to deflect, but it doesn't do crap and I still get hit.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
I find very hard to deflect stuff on the GAF server. I do it way better in other servers though. I dunno, sometimes a rocket seems close enough to deflect, but it doesn't do crap and I still get hit.
Airblasts and Projectiles aren't lag compensated, so the timing is entirely ping-dependent.

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
That would explain a lot, my ping is shitastic.
My ping is usually fine, but I always find the GAF server stuttery and almost impossible to airblast things on.

Of course I may not be able to airblast stuff elsewhere either, and the real reason is that I'm a 75-year-old man with bad reflexes, but I try not to admit that.

My ping is usually fine, but TF2 always starts this Auto disconnect in 20..19.. screen every time I'm in perfect position to take down a heavy. Always. (Where the game pretty much pauses until it connects again and I am dead. It's why I'm always going on about comcast.)

I really wonder if they'll ever nerf the Enforcer... or rather, make it actually have a negative aspect when paired with Dead Ringer.

Valve Server is fucking ridiculous as usual. I cloaked as a Sniper. and the person I was cloaked as saw me and shot me. I had the DR armed so I faked death, and then I see them scope up and get into the sniping position. And then I decloak less than a foot away and they just stand there oblivious.

I wish I could get away with that stuff on the GAF server.

It is actually annoying to watch Metaphorically, because I swear, when I follow someone in a hall they ALWAYS turn around. Or if I try to take an alt route I ALWAYS bump into a fucking Pyro.

Yeef

We're going to release an optional (for servers) TF2 update in a little while. This is just a heads-up that it's coming.

-Eric
Supposedly this update will allow servers to run replays and SourceTV at the same time, so whenever it hits maybe I'll try enabling SourceTV and see how that goes.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
I always seem to miss a bunch of bullets when playing Heavy. Where can I get those magic bullets that hit through walls? D=
You're probably shooting from too far away. I see so many heavies shooting from long range. I was playing a game of upward a couple days ago and a heavy was shooting from the final point at a bunch of enemies at the corner and he was backing up further (toward the wall) as he was shooting.

Generally you want to shoot people at around the same distance as the 2fort bridge and closer.

Also, on the GAF server you should probably check your choke with netgraph. If you have more than like 5 choke you're going to want to lead your shots.

Zel3

Yeef said:
The server auto-scrambles based on all-time ranking. I just set it up recently and I think it's been working pretty well at balancing the teams. It used to be, though, that the teams would get stacked pretty often. Not purposely, it'd just end up that way.

That's so cool.

I got 3 awards from playing yesterday night.

Galactic Hero (11 sandviches eaten)
Galactic Hero (26 cart pushes)
Galactic Hero (36 gamers gibbed)

Can't wait to hop on later tonight. :)

Tenck

I havent had a hat drop in all my time in TF2. I got a hat from a Halloween event, but that was because I played in a special event :/

Sciz

Yeef said:
You're probably shooting from too far away. I see so many heavies shooting from long range.
It has its uses. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis, but you can still put out enough damage at range to screw up snipers and pick off badly injured targets. Plus every once in a while you get a stream of crits, which will kill anyone, anywhere.

Zel3

Tenck said:
I havent had a hat drop in all my time in TF2. I got a hat from a Halloween event, but that was because I played in a special event :/

I know a guy who's played a total of 14 hours and got a Team Captain hat. *sigh*

TheBez

Tenck said:
How many hours have you played? I have over 450 hours with no hat!

Valygar

Hi TF2-GAF! I have this game since I bought the orange box 3 years ago, I have played several times for weeks so I'm not a bad player :p (Not a good one, too)

I like to play with almost all classes, except the spy (too complicated, I tend to do nothing or backstab a lot of people), and the sniper. I would like to play with the sniper, but the bow is a bit lame (you depend a lot on luck) and I can't shoot properly with the sniper rifle.

I don't know what's wrong with my aim. I've always thought I aimed pretty well, and for instance, I'm the best sharpshooter of my friends in Killing Floor. But when I play with my friend in TF2, I'm the worst sniper. Any advice? I have non-acceleration settings with my mouse, and it's a pretty good one (a logitech g9x).

I will try to connect to any of the gaf servers, but I always see them empty :mad:

Valygar said:
Hi TF2-GAF! I have this game since I bought the orange box 3 years ago, I have played several times for weeks so I'm not a bad player :p (Not a good one, too)

I like to play with almost all classes, except the spy (too complicated, I tend to do nothing or backstab a lot of people), and the sniper. I would like to play with the sniper, but the bow is a bit lame (you depend a lot on luck) and I can't shoot properly with the sniper rifle.

I don't know what's wrong with my aim. I've always thought I aimed pretty well, and for instance, I'm the best sharpshooter of my friends in Killing Floor. But when I play with my friend in TF2, I'm the worst sniper. Any advice? I have non-acceleration settings with my mouse, and it's a pretty good one (a logitech g9x).

I will try to connect to any of the gaf servers, but I always see them empty :mad:

7pm EST ppl start showing (just a few we usually goof off with melee) 8pm its packed and usually gotta wait a few minutes to get in

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Sciz (385 mini sentries built)

Sweet merciful crap.

Something must be wrong with the mini sentries destroyed award. It says I won it last night with 9, but I blew up way the hell more than that. I even got a "on the bright side" pop-up saying I almost broke my buildings destroyed record with like 20. Sciz was dropping them shits all around the ledge above the mid-point on 5Gorge.

Oh and that's another thing, stupid Kirby nominated stupid 5Gorge and then left. Once everyone reminded me what the admin command was I hacked the mainframes and changed the map.

Yeef

An optional update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)

- Added an additional diagnostic message when a player is dropped from a server due to Steam authentication failure

- Added "startmovie" support for resolutions above 2048x2048

- Fixed a client crash caused by running "startmovie" with the h264 codec without having QuickTime installed

- Fixed a client crash related to rendering replays

Team Fortress 2

- Reorganized the tabs in the Mann Co. Store into Bundles, Guns, Hats, Misc, Tools, and Maps to make it easier to find specific items

- Added a new Hot Items tab to the Mann Co. Store to show real-time popularity of items in the Mannconomy

- The Diamondback now correctly gets guaranteed crits if an Engineer changes class while their buildings are sapped

- Fixed a bug that would cause the Gunslinger to draw a normal Engineer hand first-person sometimes when wielding other weapons

- Fixed a server crash related to bots

- Fixed a client crash related to breakables/gibs

- Added item sets to the GetSchema WebAPI

- Updated the Spiral Sallet to be equippable by all classes

Jason

Borgnine said:
Sweet merciful crap.

Something must be wrong with the mini sentries destroyed award. It says I won it last night with 9, but I blew up way the hell more than that. I even got a "on the bright side" pop-up saying I almost broke my buildings destroyed record with like 20. Sciz was dropping them shits all around the ledge above the mid-point on 5Gorge.

Oh and that's another thing, stupid Kirby nominated stupid 5Gorge and then left. Once everyone reminded me what the admin command was I hacked the mainframes and changed the map.
I'll look into it. Probably another error in the coding. both sentries and mini-sentries seem kind of low for the destruction awards.

Didn't see this posted:

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)
Added an additional diagnostic message when a player is dropped from a server due to Steam authentication failure
Added "startmovie" support for resolutions above 2048x2048
Fixed a client crash caused by running "startmovie" with the h264 codec without having QuickTime installed
Fixed a client crash related to rendering replays Yay

Team Fortress 2
Reorganized the tabs in the Mann Co. Store into Bundles, Guns, Hats, Misc, Tools, and Maps to make it easier to find specific items
Added a new Hot Items tab to the Mann Co. Store to show real-time popularity of items in the Mannconomy
The Diamondback now correctly gets guaranteed crits if an Engineer changes class while their buildings are sapped
Fixed a bug that would cause the Gunslinger to draw a normal Engineer hand first-person sometimes when wielding other weapons
Fixed a server crash related to bots
Fixed a client crash related to breakables/gibs
Added item sets to the GetSchema WebAPI
Updated the Spiral Sallet to be equippable by all classes

Edit: Goddamnit Yeef!

Steam Trading: Out of Beta and available to everyone!
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=6202

At any rate, as of today Steam Trading is officially out of beta, in the Steamworks SDK, and available to everyone. Two new games will now have tradable in-game items: Spiral Knights, the cooperative adventure from Three Rings and Sega, and our own Portal 2. And remember, this is just the beginning. We can't wait to see what our fellow gamers and developers are going to come up with to move Steam Trading forward.

To celebrate, items are on sale in the Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, and Spiral Knights in-game stores.

divisionbyzorro said:
Huzzah! Demoknights can wear an appropriate hat!
Demoman needs a good Eyelander resin badly.

A broadsword design that looks like someone gave a damn about it. Perhaps encrusted with jewels on the hilt and on the handle? Perhaps with a design on the blade itself.

Just feels like it's time.

Smithy C

I can't get TF2 to launch from Steam. Every time I try, Steam freezes and I have to alt-ctrl-del out of it. Happens with other games too. This seems... Problematic.

DarkKyo

Someone on Facepunch is working on this:

dullahan5.png

So fucking good. Like seriously. Even if it doesn't get in it's totally replacing the Eyelander skin on my computer.

Yeef

Re: Mini-sentry stats

It looks like the game just isn't logging mini-sentry kills properly all the time. The last time it logged a mini sentry kill was on Lakeside last night which was pretty early in the night. It seems to log the builds fine.

TF2 doesn't normally differentiate between regular sentries and minis (a plugin called Superlogs does that), so I thought it was possible it was awarding regular sentry kills for killing minis. After searching the database though on maps where only minis were built there were no regular sentry destructions.

I'm guessing the problem lies with superlogs. I'm pretty sure I have the latest version, but I'll reinstall it just to be sure. I'll also set the game to reload the plugin on map change, just in case something is going sour somehow.if that doesn't work I'll have to get in touch with the guy who wrote the plugin.

Top Bottom