• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Proven

wartime1020 said:
Well the auto balance system is solely about numbers on each team, doesn't have to do with the "even"-ness of the teams.
There are some problems with this... it doesn't take into account how many people may be carrying the team. You'd need to see where the starkest point difference on the scoreboard is. It also doesn't account for how you may be getting points. You could be doing well as Heavy because your team has extra Medic support, or as Engy or Sniper because you're on defense and have better sightlines.

Yeef said:
Being able to stop any class from any distance isn't reasonable. Only a fool would think otherwise!

I was fine with it, but perhaps it's because my Medic and Pyro play taught me to stay out of open spaces thanks to Heavies and Snipers.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, is it safe to say the Diamondback is more or less a worse version of the Ambassador? On most servers you just aren't going to sap that many buildings in one life, and both guns have the -15% damage modifier. At least with the Ambassador you can force crits with headshots, and have a pseudo random crit chance if your aim is poor.

It could be turned into a really useful gun if you got crits simply for placed sappers (Place sapper on Sentry and Dispenser, shoot engineer dead) or if Valve reworked the mechanic to allow you to store crit hits between lives, and use them only when you want (Though you would need an additional alt fire key).

Drkirby said:
So, is it safe to say the Diamondback is more or less a worse version of the Ambassador? On most servers you just aren't going to sap that many buildings in one life, and both guns have the -15% damage modifier. At least with the Ambassador you can force crits with headshots, and have a pseudo random crit chance if your aim is poor.

It could be turned into a useful gun if you got crits simply for placed sappers, or if Valve reworked the mechanic to allow you to store crit hits between lives, and use them only when you want (Though you would need an additional alt fire key).

My god... Spys would wreck the Valve servers even more.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Obsessed said:
My god... Spys would wreck the Valve servers even more.
It would turn into THE anti-engineer gun, to make it complement the anti-sniper gun. It would only be good for taking out engineer nests, but it would be godly at it. You could quickly sap everything, and shoot the sentry dead super quick with your 3 to 4 crits. Or shoot the engi who is trying to fix it.

Drkirby said:
It would turn into THE anti-engineer gun, to make it complement the anti-sniper gun. It would only be good for taking out engineer nests, but it would be godly at it. You could quickly sap everything, and shoot the sentry dead super quick with your 3 to 4 crits. Or shoot the engi who is trying to fix it.

How is Ambassador any better than the Enforcer at taking down a sniper? Two shots in both cases, right?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Obsessed said:
How is Ambassador any better than the Enforcer at taking down a sniper? Two shots in both cases, right?
From point blank, yes. From Medium range, the Enforcer will take three shots, while the Ambassador will still only take two (If you land the headshot, which shouldn't be hard on a scoped sniper)

Also, you are more or less required to use the Dead Ringer with the Enforcer, which means you would have to decloak even farther away then with just the Ambassador. With the normal watch, you can decloak at medium range, line up the shot during decloak, get the head shot, then finish him off with the second shot.

With the Ambassador, you can also take down a sniper at a range that has lost a bit of health in just one hit (Being down to 100 health just takes a bit of stray fire from a heavy, or the splash damage from a rocket or pipe), while the Enforcer can't get a guarantee a 1 hit kill till he has 70 health left, and then you still have to be point blank. You also have to think, a sniper who is down to 70 health is more likely to go and try and get a health pack then one down to 100 health.

Enforcer is great fun though with the Dead Ringer, the draw back is just non-existent.

If you're not using the Dead Ringer you're just not doing it right. ;)

Too used to the Fez set. I need to actually learn how to play Spy for realz/

(._.)

Banned
Dr. Pangloss said:
Also agreed. At least the pyro has to switch weapons now. I will only go heavy if my team seems to be stuck, and we need someone to push forward. Or if the other team is rocking three of them. I really hate that. Worse than engineers who are at least stationary.
Valve put a lot of time tweaking pyro's weapons. He used to be a w+m1 class but now he actually takes some skill to preform certain tasks.

Heavy now just sort of ruins the game. GRU will get you anywhere. Bring a sandvich to replenish health lost from the GRU and you're set. The brass beast is the definition of easy and the tomi is just annoying to listen to fire.

Heavy = n00b class that ruins servers.

GAF server should have a one per team limit imo

Sciz

(._.) said:
The brass beast is the definition of easy
The brass beast is a horrible, terrible weapon that ruins your offensive potential and will get you killed incredibly fast if you try to use it against anyone halfway competent. There's a reason why the daily GAF awards for it look like this instead of this.

Proven

It's because the power increase becomes less useful at longer ranges, and the fact that people run to the Dead Ringer with it, that's made me feel the Enforcer is not that overpowered. Now that I've adjusted my volume settings for my laptop, I hear them coming. And the fact that I'm playing less Medic means I'm generally outdamaging them. At point blank range, a shotgun does 90 DMV afterall. More if you're a Scout. Valve has attempted to balance via metagaming.

But people are going to want a nerf anyway, and I'm never against Spy nerfs. Especially when they involve the Dead Ringer.

Edit:
If they want to make a speed heavy class, which would be fun, they should just have the Tomislav give -50 or -100 health. Pair it with the GRU and the Sandvich or Chocolate (complete with the Choco having a second or two decrease in it's taunt eating time, along with making it throwable for a small health pack) and we'd have a party.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sciz said:
The brass beast is a horrible, terrible weapon that ruins your offensive potential and will get you killed incredibly fast if you try to use it against anyone halfway competent. There's a reason why the daily GAF awards for it look like this instead of this.
Real men use the Iron Curtain:
http://tf2.gafserver.com/hlstats.php?mode=dailyawardinfo&award=140&game=tf

I will pull out the brass beast if I am having a lot of problems with heavies, and snipers/spies are ineffective, but it is a gun that isn't used to often.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dreams-Visions said:
/me is bitter I don't have any awards anymore. I'm gonna have to get on that.
You have some still. Your normal awards don't clear, and you have one global one still:

http://tf2.gafserver.com/hlstats.php?mode=playerawards&player=84

w_scout_sword.png

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So Yeef is there anyway to see all time stats for weapon kills, or is it always just going to be the last 30 days? Also, seems strange that for a team-based game and all the yelling we do about getting on points and carts, wins and losses aren't tracked.

Cyrillus

I asked this in the "I need a new PC!" thread in Gaming, but didn't get a response so I figured I'd ask here.

I just installed a 64GB SSD, and I have Steam installed on another drive. I'm looking to move TF2 to the SSD, but the tool everyone recommends, SteamTool, doesn't allow me to move TF2. I can make a junction manually, but I'm not sure if the "Team Fortress 2" folder is all I need to move, or if there are other directories/files I should move as well?

There are still too many vanilla awards! We need to fix this.

I'll get started. "Penetration Award." Psh - BORING. How about "And The Medic You Rode In On!" Awarded to the player with the most "violent penetrations."

Or how about this: "Shotgun Heavy" --> "You're Doing It Wrong." Awarded for "kills the hard way."

See? That was easy. And I'm not even that creative. Who's next?

Sianos

I'd be prefectly fine with a two Heavy cap on the server, as Heavies are really boring to fight.

All Heavy does is hold down mouse 1 and track his crosshair over you. Occaisionally he'll restore all his health if he kills you, and if he dies he runs Pyro speed back to the battlefield and then drops a medium health pack at will.

Conversely, fighting Heavies is just as linear. Their two main weaknesses (they have left) is player sentience and teamwork. Pretty much every Heavy "counter" relies on him being completely unaware, which doesn't work when playing with smart people (i.e. the GAF server), and while requiring teamwork to take down one person isn't terrible, if you have five of those people spamming at once it is.

Heavy's not OP, just annoying when there is a large number of them w+m1ing wth fast spinnup speed, fast running speed, and the ability to restore 150 hp at any time.

NSQuote said:
Pretty much every Heavy "counter" relies on him being completely unaware
eh...a Heavy @ medium to long range is a dead Heavy. The majority of classes beat a heavy freely beyond close range. The rest put up a good fucking fight. I'd damn near take a Doc + Blutslauger over a Heavy in a medium-ish fight. lol

Blizzard

Banned
NSQuote said:
I'd be prefectly fine with a two Heavy cap on the server, as Heavies are really boring to fight.

All Heavy does is hold down mouse 1 and track his crosshair over you. Occaisionally he'll restore all his health if he kills you, and if he dies he runs Pyro speed back to the battlefield and then drops a medium health pack at will.

Conversely, fighting Heavies is just as linear. Their two main weaknesses (they have left) is player sentience and teamwork. Pretty much every Heavy "counter" relies on him being completely unaware, which doesn't work when playing with smart people (i.e. the GAF server), and while requiring teamwork to take down one person isn't terrible, if you have five of those people spamming at once it is.

Heavy's not OP, just annoying when there is a large number of them w+m1ing wth fast spinnup speed, fast running speed, and the ability to restore 150 hp at any time.
If we do this, can I have a 1-2 scout limit, a 1-engineer limit, and a 1-demo limit? I really don't like fighting those classes. :p No one can argue that scouts and demos are annoying, so if we're limiting classes based on annoyance let's roll!

I have long argued for a 1-engineer limit on CTF maps, anyway. In fact, it might be best to go with a 1-per-class limit, and make 3 people per each team sit out. It'll be like ye olde arena!

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
If we do this, can I have a 1-2 scout limit, a 1-engineer limit, and a 1-demo limit? I really don't like fighting those classes. :p No one can argue that scouts and demos are annoying, so if we're limiting classes based on annoyance let's roll!

I have long argued for a 1-engineer limit on CTF maps, anyway. In fact, it might be best to go with a 1-per-class limit, and make 3 people per each team sit out. It'll be like ye olde arena!
While agree with your premise of limiting all annoying classes, I don't think you're going far enough, we need to ban all of these classes! Also, you forgot spies and snipers in your limit list. They are both very annoying.

In fact, even that might not be strict enough. We should just ban every class but soldiers. That will be the most fun.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
divisionbyzorro said:
There are still too many vanilla awards! We need to fix this.

I'll get started. "Penetration Award." Psh - BORING. How about "And The Medic You Rode In On!" Awarded to the player with the most "violent penetrations."

Or how about this: "Shotgun Heavy" --> "You're Doing It Wrong." Awarded for "kills the hard way."

See? That was easy. And I'm not even that creative. Who's next?

Yeah we won't be doing that. I already had to go through all the awards and change a lot of them to standard names instead of the terrible default puns they had. I can't have my good name sullied with inferior wordplays. Feel free to make suggestions though, if it's good it'll just show up one day!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
NSQuote said:

Learn to play better? Ditto for blizzard; though I agree about limiting engie on ctf maps.

Clydefrog

Cyrillus said:
I asked this in the "I need a new PC!" thread in Gaming, but didn't get a response so I figured I'd ask here.

I just installed a 64GB SSD, and I have Steam installed on another drive. I'm looking to move TF2 to the SSD, but the tool everyone recommends, SteamTool, doesn't allow me to move TF2. I can make a junction manually, but I'm not sure if the "Team Fortress 2" folder is all I need to move, or if there are other directories/files I should move as well?

This man has been patient; he has asked kindly in two threads now with no response. I demand someone answer this man!

Yeef

wartime1020 said:
Well the auto balance system is solely about numbers on each team, doesn't have to do with the "even"-ness of the teams.
This is correct. Scramble is based on stats, auto-balance is about teams having an equal number of players.

The auto-balance ignores:
  • Top 3 players on each team
  • Fully-charged medics
  • Engineers with buildings
  • Anyone who's touched the cart / defended the point /grabbed the intel / etc. in the last 25 seconds.
It will normally wait for someone to die, however, if the teams are imbalanced by 3 or more players or for more than 20 seconds it'll just kill someone and force-switch them.

Drkirby said:

It could be turned into a really useful gun if you got crits simply for placed sappers (Place sapper on Sentry and Dispenser, shoot engineer dead) or if Valve reworked the mechanic to allow you to store crit hits between lives, and use them only when you want (Though you would need an additional alt fire key).
I think the most obvious buff for the Diamondback is to make it more like the Frontier justice. Give it 2 crits for a destroyed building via sapper and 1 crit for a destroyed sapper or sapper assist. Reduce its clip-size to 3 or 4 and remove the damage bonus. Maybe increase the reload time a bit.

With these stats it'd still take the same number of shots to kill all the classes with crits, but punishes you for missing both with and without crits.

Borgnine said:
So Yeef is there anyway to see all time stats for weapon kills, or is it always just going to be the last 30 days? Also, seems strange that for a team-based game and all the yelling we do about getting on points and carts, wins and losses aren't tracked.
The main list shoudl be all-time, but the individual weapon pages are the last 30 days.

It does track wins, but I don't think it tracks loses. I'll look into it when I get home from work.

Somethings up with my TF2. I join my regular servers where I normally have 14-30 Ping and suddenly it sky rockets to 600 where by I can't move or it's unplayable. I've restarted TF2 several times and tried different servers but keeps happening, any ideas why?

Sianos

Kuro Madoushi said:
Learn to play better? Ditto for blizzard; though I agree about limiting engie on ctf maps.
It's not so much that they are hard to defeat, they all just play exactly the same and are tedious and linear to fight in large numbers (in my opinion, at least). It's not a balance idea, just an idea to increase variety and add more fun (in my opinion).

Just another random thought.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
This is correct. Scramble is based on stats, auto-balance is about teams having an equal number of players.

The auto-balance ignores:
  • Top 3 players on each team
  • Fully-charged medics
  • Engineers with buildings
  • Anyone who's touched the cart / defended the point /grabbed the intel / etc. in the last 25 seconds.
It will normally wait for someone to die, however, if the teams are imbalanced by 3 or more players or for more than 20 seconds it'll just kill someone and force-switch them.

I think the most obvious buff for the Diamondback is to make it more like the Frontier justice. Give it 2 crits for a destroyed building via sapper and 1 crit for a destroyed sapper or sapper assist. Reduce its clip-size to 3 or 4 and remove the damage bonus. Maybe increase the reload time a bit.

With these stats it'd still take the same number of shots to kill all the classes with crits, but punishes you for missing both with and without crits.

The main list shoudl be all-time, but the individual weapon pages are the last 30 days.

It does track wins, but I don't think it tracks loses. I'll look into it when I get home from work.
LIES!

I've often been on one or all three of those situations and still get switched. Admit you have a 'make kuro lose' plugin! :mad:

Sourtreats said:
Somethings up with my TF2. I join my regular servers where I normally have 14-30 Ping and suddenly it sky rockets to 600 where by I can't move or it's unplayable. I've restarted TF2 several times and tried different servers but keeps happening, any ideas why?

Any problems you noticed with your modem/router/network card? Can you try other online multiplayer games? Maybe some kind of overheating problem.

corn_fest

Sourtreats said:
Have you checked your rate settings? Type "rate" into console.
I only say this because TF2 randomly decreased my rate by a power of 10 twice.

Acerac

Banned
NSQuote said:
It's not so much that they are hard to defeat, they all just play exactly the same and are boring and linear to fight in large numbers (in my opinion, at least). It's not a balance idea, just an idea to increase variety and add more fun (in my opinion).

Just another random thought.
It'd make playing a medic much less fun. Demos and soldiers (yes, even skilled ones) like to shoot off to where I can't follow them when they get ubered. Pyros will often be trapped after an uber which means we both die almost instantly afterwards. Spies, engies, scouts, and snipers tend to be crappy uber targets. Ubering another medic? Forget about it. This leaves heavies as my go to class to uber, all other things being even. They're also great for helping to build charges when you find one on low health.

We can also beat heavies 1v1 from a distance if we're using the blutsauger (which, granted, I do not) so they're not quite as threatening to us as they may be to others.

Don't forget about us medics in your hunt for heavy blood. :)

Not sure if my mic is crap quality, or if people sometimes have trouble hearing me because of my tendency to mumble and inability to describe physical locations.

What say you Jack Frost?

Obsessed said:
Not sure if my mic is crap quality, or if people sometimes have trouble hearing me because of my tendency to mumble and inability to describe physical locations.

What say you Jack Frost?

well if you mumble its you...i can understand you most the time though

JackFrost said:
well if you mumble its you...i can understand you most the time though

I'm not sure when I am mumbling, I just know that I mumble sometimes because people have pointed that out to me.

I really need to get better at describing physical locations though.

"Ugh... there's a Heavy in the window."

*notices there are two places on the map where "windows" are*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:

You meant the damage nerf, right? Diamondback does 15% less damage.

Oh, the worst thing is when you are trying to quickly tell someone there is a spy. "Uh, hey scout, there is a spy behind you. Yeah, you, randomkid1- oh, never mind, you are already dead"

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Oh, the worst thing is when you are trying to quickly tell someone there is a spy. "Uh, hey scout, there is a spy behind you. Yeah, you, randomkid1- oh, never mind, you are already dead"
Yeah the voice delay makes that even worse.

Recently I had one very minor victory. I was being useless as a defense spy on barnblitz, and I stabbed some attacking engineer outside (I think I was using your eternal reward). Someone ran by and was like, hey EngineerNameWhatever, there's a spy on your stuff...WAIT YOU ARE THE SPY

Sianos

You guys all have great points, and considering the fact that the GAF sever rarely has over 3 heavies anyway, it probably would just be a redundant restriction. Suggestion rescinded. :p

However, in most of the matches I've played this week not on GAF, midway through people get the bright idea of Heavy zerg rushing/zerg defending the cart, and then never switch back to regular play. I'm not kidding, sometimes there'd be 7-8 heavies on each team just w+m1ing each other. Wish I saved some replays, when some 5v5 Heavy duels started it was pretty funny.

All my favorite servers are empty or full so I'm moving down to the middle level ones, but still. :\

newb question regarding item drops:

so i was told that the drops get reset every wednesday night (midnight) so i was expecting to get some items today. Unfortunatly I have been playing all day today without a drop. is that normal?

Sianos

KingOfKong said:
newb question regarding item drops:

so i was told that the drops get reset every wednesday night (midnight) so i was expecting to get some items today. Unfortunatly I have been playing all day today without a drop. is that normal?
You could've been disconnected from the item server, which happens from time to time.

Forkball said:

There's a video reference for this, I believe! I just looked for it and the user who had it deleted their account.

Sniper: "Awwwwllright! The Engineer is a cake!"
Engy: "Nope, I'm pie!"
Heavy: "Sniper iz stooped, stooped, stooped!"

Top Bottom