• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I've been playing with the Overdose recently and I don't know if its a trick of the mind of real but I do notice and enjoy the speed boost.

I've been tricking myself all this time since I never actually had the Overdose out, yet I felt I was slowly getting faster as I built up uber.

Generally I either have the medigun out, or the ubersaw. I'll give Overdose another shot since now I know how to use it properly. But damn, I hate it not being a passive buff.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sgt.Pepper said:
Jackfrost and clud were awesome partners. Holy shit Sciz, can you give me some tips for Heavy? Because wow.
Play when no good spies or snipers are on.
Hohohohoho

Really it comes down to not dying and killing constantly.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hazaro said:

A sound strategy.

Also fyi everybody, when the server population is low, you actually make the game far less interesting for everyone by playing heavy.

sixghost

Obsessed said:
I've been tricking myself all this time since I never actually had the Overdose out, yet I felt I was slowly getting faster as I built up uber.

Generally I either have the medigun out, or the ubersaw. I'll give Overdose another shot since now I know how to use it properly. But damn, I hate it not being a passive buff.
Oh the speed boost only applies when the overdose is out? I've definitely been fooling myself for the last month then.

Also, I never realized how amazing demos with Loch 'n Load and Chargin' Targe were for killing sentries. I had a Level 3 in the side hallway on Dustbowl, he turns the corner, charges while shooting the sentry, and he kills the thing and me almost instantly. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen in TF2.

Borgnine said:
A sound strategy.

Also fyi everybody, when the server population is low, you actually make the game far less interesting for everyone by playing heavy.

This x1000. Nothing is worse than joining the server with 8 people and then one asshole on the other team goes Heavy. Especially if it is Barnblitz KOTH.

sixghost said:
Oh the speed boost only applies when the overdose is out? I've definitely been fooling myself for the last month then.

Yep. Yeef confirmed this with a short gif on the last page. IMO the buff is nothing to write home about. I think they should either buff the speed increase, or let it be a passive buff.

Yeef

Obsessed said:
Yep. Yeef confirmed this with a short gif on the last page. IMO the buff is nothing to write home about. I think they should either buff the speed increase, or let it be a passive buff.
I think it's fine as it is. The buff isn't huge, but the downside is also negligible. Losing 1 damage per hit is hardly a big penalty.

Clydefrog

Borgnine said:
A sound strategy.

But people who play heavy are usually stupid. It's pretty easy to dominate them within a couple minutes.

Blizzard

Banned
Obsessed said:
This x1000. Nothing is worse than joining the server with 8 people and then one asshole on the other team goes Heavy. Especially if it is Barnblitz KOTH.
Normally I mess around with one of the classes that should be removed from the game (scout) or one of the silly classes (huntsman sniper) in small teams. But then with like 10 people someone will go heavy medic combo on KOTH harvest so I have to go heavy myself in a futile attempt to win (won't work, lose anyway, rage).

It's also horrible when there are small teams and anyone is planting baby sentries, or being stickybomb demoman, or being a good soldier.

Borgnine

Clydefrog said:
But people who play heavy are usually stupid. It's pretty easy to dominate them within a couple minutes.

Well, if you're a sniper. Which is also annoying on a low population server. Also, you're annoying, all the time.

Also the heavy usually has a medic and is on the cart, so he has like 1700 health. That's like 15 whips to kill, this is too much to ask of one man.

XD

I needed to kill shit after all this 3ds news so I joined whichever friends were playing(which i rarely do) ...ended up with Artist and Pepper on a valve server and needless to say they got destroyed (couldnt even leave spawn)....good times

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If I am on defense on a low popultion sever, being a heavy is almost required, otherwise you have 3 scouts caping everything nearly instently.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
If I am on defense on a low popultion sever, being a heavy is almost required, otherwise you have 3 scouts caping everything nearly instently.
Mini sentries would actually help combat this as well, but mini sentries are irritating (much like scouts).

Sciz

Sgt.Pepper said:
Holy shit Sciz, can you give me some tips for Heavy? Because wow.
Hazaro said:
This, in all honesty. Heavy isn't a complicated class, it's just very good at taking advantage of the general wisdom of knowing when to push up and when to hold back and where to flank from. Having a medic buddy around against a BLU team that doesn't have their act together results in totals like that.

Blizzard said:
It's also horrible when there are small teams and anyone is planting baby sentries
But they're so much fun!

Proven

Blizzard said:
Normally I mess around with one of the classes that should be removed from the game (scout) or one of the silly classes (huntsman sniper) in small teams. But then with like 10 people someone will go heavy medic combo on KOTH harvest so I have to go heavy myself in a futile attempt to win (won't work, lose anyway, rage).

It's also horrible when there are small teams and anyone is planting baby sentries, or being stickybomb demoman, or being a good soldier.
Honestly, all this sounds like is if you play a powerful class at an above average level, you make things unfun for others. You think huntsman sniper is fun for me?

At this point I've resigned myself to the fact that if I think of TF2 in strategy terms, then it's a game where the fun comes from having the right balance of teams. A Heavy has a large advantage against say, a Pyro in the same way a Tank has an advantage against Infantry or how a Queen is more powerful than a Knight. Adding a Heavy on one side can be just as unbalancing to the other side as adding a Medic.

And at the end of the day, Heavies, Soldiers, Medics... most of the classes are fun to play with, to have running around with you and watching your back while you watch theirs, pushing through the map and killing fools. Some people may not find them always as fun to play as, especially in cases of Heavies and Medics, but you will always be happy to see them on your team and supporting you.

Steamrolls can happen thanks to bad players, but I find they usually happen thanks to lack of adequate team balance (4 Spies? really?), lack of awareness and/or communication (insert Kuro rage post here), or just simply being inexperienced enough with a map or class to not know where you should be or what you should be doing (which is why I always hold off at calling new maps bad. many of them always grow on you given enough time and knowledge of where to push and how to hold).

Yeef

The main problem with heavies, for me at least, isn't just that they're overpowered (I think demomen are pretty overpowered too), it's that I find them boring both playing as and against. There's nothing interesting about fighting a heavy. It's basically hope their tracking is bad o retreat. With most other classes there are ups and downs to the battle. Paying attention to positioning, possible retreat routes, how many shots they have loaded, etc. Most of that doesn't apply when fighting a heavy.

As for new maps, the main problem with new maps is that a big part of playing well in TF2 is knowing the map. Knowing where the pickups and flank routes are as well as the skill jumps. It's especially true for engineers who need to know where to set up to maximize their effectiveness.

Proven

Yeef said:
The main problem with heavies, for me at least, isn't just that they're overpowered (I think demomen are pretty overpowered too), it's that I find them boring both playing as and against. There's nothing interesting about fighting a heavy. It's basically hope their tracking is bad o retreat. With most other classes there are ups and downs to the battle. Paying attention to positioning, possible retreat routes, how many shots they have loaded, etc. Most of that doesn't apply when fighting a heavy.

As for new maps, the main problem with new maps is that a big part of playing well in TF2 is knowing the map. Knowing where the pickups and flank routes are as well as the skill jumps. It's especially true for engineers who need to know where to set up to maximize their effectiveness.
Yeef, your argument against the Heavy sounds exactly like my argument against the Sniper. Except people manage to have fun playing as them, while teammates don't always appreciate them.

Yeef

Proven said:
Yeef, your argument against the Heavy sounds exactly like my argument against the Sniper. Except people manage to have fun playing as them, while teammates don't always appreciate them.
A good sniper at super long range is no fun to play against, but if you can manage to get in close to them it becomes much more interesting. The problem is that Sniper is really the only long range class. All of the other classes excel at mid to close range, which is also where the heavy excels.

I think it'd be interesting if they gave the heavy a non-minigun primary. Something that still qualifies as a 'heavy weapon' but plays differently. Similar to the way they have the sniper a bow.

Borgnine

Grimm Fandango said:
Hoping I get a spray as me being Pyro one day...

Pyros are difficult to find because the mask makes it hard for them to suck penis. Also the full body flame retardant suit makes it hard to access the anus. A lot of the pyro stuff out there has the pyro as a woman, with her vagina being penetrated. You guys really seem to respond more to men though so I'll search around. Also you're a full body flame retardant.

Sciz

Yeef said:
I think it'd be interesting if they gave the heavy a non-minigun primary. Something that still qualifies as a 'heavy weapon' but plays differently. Similar to the way they have the sniper a bow.
I'd be happy to get an alternative minigun that wasn't completely worthless (heavy protip: the alternative miniguns are all completely worthless). Though something completely different would be fun too. I wonder if Serious Sam's cannon as a SS3 preorder bonus is too much to hope for.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Borgnine said:
Pyros are difficult to find because the mask makes it hard for them to suck penis. Also the full body flame retardant suit makes it hard to access the anus. A lot of the pyro stuff out there has the pyro as a woman, with her vagina being penetrated. You guys really seem to respond more to men though so I'll search around. Also you're a full body flame retardant.

2hg79zojpgkjph.gif

Borgnine said:
:-o

Proven

Yeef said:
A good sniper at super long range is no fun to play against, but if you can manage to get in close to them it becomes much more interesting. The problem is that Sniper is really the only long range class. All of the other classes excel at mid to close range, which is also where the heavy excels.

Honestly, I kinda expected that for the set the Heavy got during the Uber update. The Spy's set is made to make him rely more on the gun than the knife, so I hoped that the Heavy's set would help him focus more on the shotgun. Ah well.

Borgnine said:

lol

So that's why you always get a hard-on when you spank me with the Disciplinary Action!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
lol

So that's why you always get a hard-on when you spank me with the Disciplinary Action!
Wtf?! He spanks me all the time! You mean it really wasn't to give me a speed boost?!? D:

Soooooo violated...

Borgnine said:

There's truth to this in a way.

There is the general belief that Pyro is a female under the mask. And then there is the fact that Pyro is always hidden beneath a suit. As a result there is very very little art (or requests for art) of Pyro on TF2Chan.

The most common pairings (and thus characters drawn) are Medic/Heavy and Spy/Sniper.

Proven

Obsessed said:
There's truth to this in a way.

There is the general belief that Pyro is a female under the mask. And then there is the fact that Pyro is always hidden beneath a suit. As a result there is very very little art (or requests for art) of Pyro on TF2Chan.

The most common pairings (and thus characters drawn) are Medic/Heavy and Spy/Sniper.
I guess I should be thankful that the WAR update didn't start a huge rush of Soldier/Demoman or Scout/Paulineorsomething pairings.

Bakphoon

Borgnine said:

And i thought only *youknowwhatimeanifyoulookatmyavatar*-fans were considered creepy o_O

(no, I do not want to start a flame war)

Blizzard

Banned
Bakphoon said:
And i thought only *youknowwhatimeanifyoulookatmyavatar*-fans were considered creepy o_O

(no, I do not want to start a flame war)
Son, Borgnine INVENTED creepy. I usually just ignore it -- someone (Borgnine?) used to play some song about a kid getting raped by his grandfather or something, and that's like the only time I would mute people for offensive content. Homoerotic fanart is one thing, child abuse jokes are another.

Blizzard said:
It's also horrible when there are small teams and anyone is planting baby sentries

This really grinds my gears. Especially since I'm usually one of the first people on the server because I send a majority of the announcements, and the server is 90% of the time on Harvest when the night starts. We'll all be goofing around, having fun meleeing or something, then some ass starts plopping mini sentries when it's still 4v4.

It is also my belief that sentries suck all the fun out of KOTH maps.

Obsessed said:

No shit? I could have sworn I was moving faster without it being out. Like out pacing other classes that should have been moving near the same speed. Crazy.

Meh. Mini sentries die incredibly quickly, and there's generally not enough time on KOTH to play turtle engie. They're just distractions/annoyances. They only get kills if the enemy doesn't have enough situational awareness to look for threats other than GET ON THE POINT!!!

HeadlessRoland said:
No shit? I could have sworn I was moving faster without it being out. Like out pacing other classes that should have been moving near the same speed. Crazy.

Yep. Our minds were fucking with us.

Medic does have a slight advantage against most classes anyway. 107% speed.

Top Bottom