• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Alt-tabbed while the server loads lalalalalala

Tenck

Thanks to the people who sharpened my knife with your backs.

Boney, I think you deserve the most thanks!

EA82EC47FA39E89CB5F581AFF86EEB4F98DBA946

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Grimm Fandango said:
You guys really want me, QUEEN OF THORNS, sixghost and other amazing Pyro players to shit on you even more?

Fine by me! ;)
YOU'RE Queen of Thorns?

Protip: Switch to shotgun at medium range.

sixghost said:
We should be able to throw our axetinguisher.

Interesting. So like you could either use your Axtinguisher for melee purposes or chuck it at someone for the same effect. Throwing it would require a recharge like for the Sandman. Or you would need to go back to a resupply locker like for the Razorback.

I dig it.

Kuro Madoushi said:
YOU'RE Queen of Thorns?

Protip: Switch to shotgun at medium range.
I totally do! At least most of the time. I need to stop relying on switching weapons with my scroll wheel though, I'm always fiddling around with it as people fill my face in with lead.

Tenck

masterofcoin said:
I totally do! At least most of the time. I need to stop relying on switching weapons with my scroll wheel though, I'm always fiddling around with it as people fill my face in with lead.

Why not use 'Q' to do it?

Yeef

masterofcoin said:
I just can't get into the habit of using the keyboard to do things. It's something I need to work on.
I imagine you using an on-screen keyboard to type all of your posts now.

Proven

Grimm Fandango said:
You guys really want me, QUEEN OF THORNS, sixghost and other amazing Pyro players to shit on you even more?

Fine by me! ;)
I'm offended that I'm not on the top of that list.

Seriously though, the Pyro could use buffs but I feel he's mostly fine right now. He's decent at 1 on 1 flanks and makes a better support to a push than a Scout when not flanking. The Degreaser set magically brought back my shotgun aim after its two year hiatus, and crit flares never get old.

And I find it kinda funny that after all these years, the Backburner is technically the best flamethrower in my eyes. Sometimes the fast weapon switch of the Degreaser seems unnecessary, but I suppose that's because I prefer flaming and flaring to death instead of shotguns and axtinguishes.

Although right now my favorite way to kill Spies is with random crit Homewrecker hits.

masterofcoin said:
I just can't get into the habit of using the keyboard to do things. It's something I need to work on.
I'm the same way. I hate using the keyboard in a lot of PC games outside of moving, jumping, and push to talk. I have to have crouch on Shift or Z, autoreload was a god send, and I don't even like reaching for the number keys.

So, I use the mousewheel. Mousewheel up for weapon 1, Mousewheel down for weapon 2, Mousewheel click for weapon 3. It's slower to click than to scroll, so if you rely on axtinguishing more I'd switch Mousewheel down for weapon 3. Weapon 4 and 5 are kept on extra mouse buttons.

Actually, after this I'll probably change weapon 5 to mousewheel click, and put weapon 3 and 4 on the extra mouse buttons. Should make me overall faster...

Acerac

Banned
speculawyer said:
Where is jank server? It be dead.
It crashed between almost every match tonight. That didn't last long before everyone gave up.

That new server can't come soon enough.

Yeef

Proven said:
I'm offended that I'm not on the top of that list.

Seriously though, the Pyro could use buffs but I feel he's mostly fine right now. He's decent at 1 on 1 flanks and makes a better support to a push than a Scout when not flanking. The Degreaser set magically brought back my shotgun aim after its two year hiatus, and crit flares never get old.
With unlocks I think he's mostly fine as well. Vanilla Pyro, on the other hand, is significantly weaker. The default flamethrower needs some sort of buff. The mechanics of flames in general also needs some tweaking. The visual particles need to match the actual particles, for one thing. That shouldn't be hard to do. The flame particles should also be faster, with a shorter lifespan compared to how they are now. Flames also need to not have falloff when critting. They're the only weapon in the game that does that.

As far as unlocks go, the melee weapons need to be better balanced with one another. Right now, the axstinguisher reigns supreme in most cases, with the other weapons being relegated to niches and novelties. I also think they need to double the jump height of the detonator and get rid of the crit bug.

Hopefully the next big patch will bring Meet the Pyro and he'll get a bunch of tweaks and some new toys.

Sciz

Three refined gets you any random hat out of the entire pool of craftable hats. Four and a token gets you a class specific hat.

Tenck

http://i.imgur.com/e1hdc.jpg
I bet you guys could never tell which is my favorite class.

Spy is becoming so much easier to play on the Gaf server. Maybe it's because you guys are not as paranoid when Metaphorically is on.

Edit:
That new server can't come soon enough.

I'll pitch in anyways I can. Can't be through Paypal though, too much of a hassle to resolve my issues with them.

Sciz said:
Three refined gets you any random hat out of the entire pool of craftable hats. Four and a token gets you a class specific hat.

Oh. But the Beak isn't a hat. It is a misc item.

Tenck: Why do you use the CND? It just seems so... useless 99% of the time.

Yeef

Sciz said:
Three refined or two hats gets you any random hat out of the entire pool of craftable hats. Four and a token gets you a random class specific hat.
This.

Using 3 refined or 2 hats you have a 1/200ish chance of getting a blighted beak.

Using 4 refined and a medic token you have a 1/16 or so chance.

Obsessed said:
Crafting doesn't follow the rules of equipping. When it comes to crafting misc. items count as hats, sticky launchers and shields count as primaries and grenade launchers and revolvers count as secondaries.

Proven

Obsessed said:

If hell froze over and I started playing Spy, the CnD would be my go to watch. It's better than people think, but because of its ability people are way too complacent with it.

I need to get out of this editing habit.
Yeef said:
With unlocks I think he's mostly fine as well. Vanilla Pyro, on the other hand, is significantly weaker. The default flamethrower needs some sort of buff. The mechanics of flames in general also needs some tweaking. The visual particles need to match the actual particles, for one thing. That shouldn't be hard to do. The flame particles should also be faster, with a shorter lifespan compared to how they are now. Flames also need to not have falloff when critting. They're the only weapon in the game that does that.

As far as unlocks go, the melee weapons need to be better balanced with one another. Right now, the axstinguisher reigns supreme in most cases, with the other weapons being relegated to niches and novelties. I also think they need to double the jump height of the detonator and get rid of the crit bug.

Hopefully the next big patch will bring Meet the Pyro and he'll get a bunch of tweaks and some new toys.
I'm fine with the flame particles right now, but I think it's the main reason why I tend to win so many Pyro on Pyro duels. You have to lead them, yes, but when you're hitting someone, they'll continually make a specific burning sound. When facing another Pyro, they'll continually look like they're catching on fire if you're doing it right. (Random fact: Pyros technically do catch on fire, but they don't stay on fire and take afterburn. So if you hit them with an Axetinguisher during a "flare up", you'll crit them. Even the small instant of fire that comes from getting hit by a flaregun will count).

The melee weapon problem is a problem with just about every class at this point.

As for the Detonator, I don't think it needs its height doubled, but maybe 25% or 50% more would help. Right now, most of the shortcuts you can take with it you can only make with a hair's breadth, and it wastes a good chunk of health if you miss and have to try again.

Tenck

Obsessed said:

I try to make real good use of it whenever I can. The downside to using CnD over DR is that I can't escape as easily once caught. But when I do escape I try to capitalize on that.

I also suck a lot with the DR. Thought I've had terrific games with it, the bad ones outweigh the good ones.

1B4FCCEE17106E6AFFC0D076E966759448272367

If I showed you my replays, you'd probably die of boredom. I like to sit in one spot a lot. Or when I move I crouch and just stalk the enemy.

Yeef

Proven said:
If hell froze over and I started playing Spy, the CnD would be my go to watch. It's better than people think, but because of its ability people are way too complacent with it.
The Dead Ringer is easily the most powerful watch. That said, I generally prefer the Timepiece unless I'm using the Kunai or the Saharan Spy set.

Also, the CND is terrible. It has a shorter cloak time than the normal watch AND can't refill from fallen weapons or ammo pickups. in the time it takes to sit and recharge it you could have gotten 50 backstabs with one of the other watches.

Proven said:

It has uses for sure, but the main problem is it encourages you to sit around in one spot and wait. Sitting around doing nothing is very unlikely to help the team. It is a great watch for CTF at the very least.

I wouldn't mind a slight buff to the CND where you can pick up ammo boxes/weapons for a lesser effect (similar to the Dead Ringer).

Tenck

Obsessed said:
It has uses for sure, but the main problem is it encourages you to sit around in one spot and wait. Sitting around doing nothing is very unlikely to help the team. It is a great watch for CTF at the very least.

I wouldn't mind a slight buff to the CND where you can pick up ammo boxes/weapons for a lesser effect (similar to the Dead Ringer).

But I'm always out on the battlefield helping my teammates out. The only reason I sit is because if I start decloaking everywhere I please, there's always someone behind me ready to pull the trigger and make me ragequit. I'm always looking at the scoreboard waiting to see how many people are dead. If there's a few, I'll carefully decloak and stab people. If there's a bunch of dead people, I'll stalk a bit far away so when they pass me they have to spawn and walk all they way back.

If it's annoying for my team, I'll gladly relearn the spy.

Edit: You can even see it in my screenshot. I'm up there with my team in points because I'm doing my job.

Proven

Obsessed said:

I don't think the CnD needs a buff. If I had to give it anything though, I'd give it a faster recharge rate. Or at least faster while its not being used.

Tenck

Proven said:
I don't think the CnD needs a buff. If I had to give it anything though, I'd give it a faster recharge rate. Or at least faster while its not being used.

I would kill for a boost in recharge rate while not moving. Would get me moving a lot faster.

Yeef

Tenck said:
I would kill for a boost in recharge rate while not moving. Would get me moving a lot faster.
If you crouch walk you get a longer cloak time, but crouch walking is like the most boring thing ever.

Sciz

The problem with buffing the CnD is that it wouldn't take much for it to completely supplant the invis watch. It fills its intended role as the stealth watch just fine. Mobility is the invis watch's niche.

Yeef

Just joined some random Valve server. Second stage of Thunder mountain was just beginning. Server was full. Setup time runs out and other than an ubered heavy-medic pair there was NO ONE from Red outside of the starting gate. Some Scottish Resistance demo had tons of stickies all over the cart. I shot them one by one, expecting an explosion, but there was none.

Long story short, I am MVP and finished my final soldier achievement (bomb squaddie). Maybe I'll troll around with Sniper and Scout on a Valve server to get the final sniper and scout achievements I'm missing.

Tenck

Yeef said:
If you crouch walk you get a longer cloak time, but crouch walking is like the most boring thing ever.

Yeah, I do it for the extended cloak time, but it's boring!

Just joined a server to try DR, was totally steamrolled.

Vanilla timepiece is best watch. If you know where all the metal drops are and the weapon drops from dead players, then you'll never decloak. Also when meet the Pyro comes out, I bet we won't be seeing any spies on the server for a while.

Acerac

Banned
Dr. Pangloss said:
Also when meet the Pyro comes out, I bet we won't be seeing any spies on the server for a while.
As long as that includes no Meta that's fine by me. I swear, every other spy I play against is obvious as hell after dealing with him. I kill them all as medic without issue. Then Meta comes along and facestabs me even if I've seen him and been shooting him with my syringe gun for the last 5 seconds.
Tenck said:
You'll see me with my strange ambassador for weeks.
Speaking of which, WTB strange enforcer. PST. :(

Tenck

Acerac said:
I wish. Perhaps once the next series of crates comes out.

Better get here fast. Hearing people want a nerf on it is music to my ears. Haven't used it too much though because I'm trying to level my ambassador.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
What the fuck is wrong with the locations in the stats page? Micronesia, Tarzania, American Saoma. lol

Sciz is from Iraq apparently.
It's a new initiative. It went live on the stats page a little early, but the agents have already been dispatched to move you to your new locations...

Top Bottom