• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Acerac

Banned
Obsessed said:
At first I thought it was a girl. Then we discovered it was a young boy... in middle school.

He lost a tooth mid match. He had a Pony avatar. I asked him which pony he thought was hotter and he actually gave an answer that wasn't "neither."
Wow, there are male pony fans that young? Boggles the mind. ;)

Acerac said:
Wow, there are male pony fans that young? Boggles the mind. ;)

"Which pony do you find hotter, Rainbowdash or Belle-Eve?"

"Who is Belle-Eve?"

"Ok fine. Which pony do you find hotter, Rainbowdash or Fluttershy?"

"Rainbowdash!"

WHY WAS THE ANSWER NOT "NEITHER ONE IS HOT."

Yeef

The Jank is starting to irritate me to the point of me not enjoying the game. Things must be done...

Forkball said:
SORRY THEY CAN'T BE THRILLING FIRST PERSON VIEW ONLY SHORT FILMS D'ART WHAT A GRASP OF MISE-EN-SCENE YOU HAVE MARTIN SCORSEYEEF
Either learn how to use timescale or use fixed camera positions. Because your ability to follow the action with your mouse is nonexistent!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I must have missed something after I got mad no one picked soldier buff banner with me on Hoodoo because that is the best strat ever and you all suck.

Also Demo > Heavy

Acerac

Banned
Guys, there is a problem with JankyGAF and custom maps; they're obviously not being picked enough. As is, when a custom map is picked everyone leaves because they're so overwhelmed with how awesome the selection is. We need to eliminate all stock maps from this server and only play custom maps from now on.

Perhaps we could keep Degroot Keep.

Obsessed said:
WHY WAS THE ANSWER NOT "NEITHER ONE IS HOT."
I'd guess because he was young enough that he was still losing baby teeth and therefore the nature of your question flew over his head?

Thunder Mountain first map was ...ugh..

It seem there was no Medic on the team, so I had to switch to Medic and of course it would take 2 Medics on a team to be efficient.

Then when we went to defend, we started off with 3 spies, and this spy was making a crack about multiplying Spies by 3 to get 9 and I was like what the hell you talking about. I was the only Medic that time as well and the team got steamrolled just the same.

Yeef

I don't understand how people can not like hightower. EVERY class works well on it. On the other hand, maps like hoodoo, gold rush and dustbowl heavily favor the spammy classes.

Grimm Fandango said:
I can't take all of the credit... but I can take most of it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69uRBUyGgQ
Valve really needs to give the demoknight a different icon. i spent most of that match not playing demo wondering why neither of our 2 demos were taking out sentries. Turns out they were both demoknights. So i go demo and manage to kill a bunch of sentries, but it is too late and we lose.

commissar said:
I feel like I should play heavy more often >:D
Why would you want to make the game boring? The only thing worse playing payload and seeing two or more heavies on the cart is playing payload and seeing 2 or more heavies on the cart, with two medics in tow. I wonder if there's a plugin out there that keeps the cart from acting as a dispenser...

Yeef said:
I don't understand how people can not like hightower. EVERY class works well on it. On the other hand, maps like hoodoo, gold rush and dustbowl heavily favor the spammy classes.
I like the map itself well enough (lots of places to airblast people!) but it always seems like every game on it takes 800 years.

I need to stop trying to get the mac version of TF2 to run well. It never does, and when I go back to windows I find that it messes up my mouse settings. It's not meant to be.

Maybe I should practice playing Demoman. It just basically hang back and use sticky launcher on defense, detonate if anyone gets close to stickies?

Yeef

masterofcoin said:
I like the map itself well enough (lots of places to airblast people!) but it always seems like every game on it takes 800 years.

I need to stop trying to get the mac version of TF2 to run well. It never does, and when I go back to windows I find that it messes up my mouse settings. It's not meant to be.
Only because the GAF server is disorganized :p

With teamwork it's actually pretty easy to get past the two little humps. For the hill, A good uber can hold the other team back while a few people push the cart.

For the tower, a couple of people locking down the two upper spawns and/or protecting an engineer so he can build on the center tower will usually give you the time you need to get the cart to the top.

Cloudius12 said:
Maybe I should practice playing Demoman. It just basically hang back and use sticky launcher on defense, detonate if anyone gets close to stickies?
if you'r eusing the resistance, then yes. Generally, though, you want to use the normal sticky launcher and use it like a rocket launcher with more control. Detonate stickies in mid air or underneath your opponent's feet. it both denies them escape and can be used to juggle them.

Cloudius12 said:

If you want it to be, or you can rush to the front lines, either way can get great results. just be sure to switch back and forth between stickies and GL. Once you get comfortable with the GL for close immediate threats, the class is amazingly powerful.

Yeef said:
The Jank is starting to irritate me to the point of me not enjoying the game. Things must be done...

Perhaps we could try a night of no mods or plugins
and no custom maps
and see if that clears up some jank?

Blizzard

Banned
The things I don't like about hoodoo are no time limit, possible 40-minute games, no time limit, and also no time limit. And carts that don't move themselves when the time limit runs out, thus leading to no time limit.

And hoodoo has more maps, and more variety than hightower. If you spend 40 minutes running around on 3 different maps on hoodoo, they're different. Attack and defense are different on each map.

On hightower, both teams are the same, on both sides, for both rounds, and the map is like a big square where you stay in the same general area the entire time, aside from initial cart pushing.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
The things I don't like about hoodoo are no time limit, possible 40-minute games, no time limit, and also no time limit. And carts that don't move themselves when the time limit runs out, thus leading to no time limit.

And hoodoo has more maps, and more variety than hightower. If you spend 40 minutes running around on 3 different maps on hoodoo, they're different. Attack and defense are different on each map.

On hightower, both teams are the same, on both sides, for both rounds, and the map is like a big square where you stay in the same general area the entire time, aside from initial cart pushing.
Freudian slip!

And we all know, even Hoodoo doesn't like Hoodoo. That's why it will sometimes just push the cart itself on the last map to hurry up and get it over with.

Anyway, having multiple maps doesn't matter when they're all just tiny boxes with 24 players squeezed into them. Hoodoo (and a few mother maps) feel like they were designed for 16 players, not 24. With Hightower the different areas and approaches play differently, and because everyone can spread out and has room to breathe you get much more interesting encounters. I'd rather play a 5 hours High Tower match than a half hour Hoodoo match.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was just practicing Demoman in offline mode just to get used to the class. I didn't know I could detonate stickies while using the GL. Most of the time when I was actually playing Demoman, I had sticky launcher equipped just to shoot and explode if I had any close encounter.

Yeef said:
The fact that you say this only proves to me that you are no longer a member of the Scout Brotherhood! >:O

I only play Soldier and hang out up in the rafters on Nucleus because I'm tired of playing on that map. Being useless and spamming the point with the Mangler is fun.

Yeef

ArtistDude88 said:
I only play Soldier and hang out up in the rafters on Nucleus because I'm tired of playing on that map. Being useless and spamming the point with the Mangler is fun.
I'd agree that we play that map a lot more frequently than we did before the Uber Update. It seems like we play it every night at this point. Still, it's a great map for scouts. Since you don't play Scout anymore, I guess you don't care about that!

Also, SgtPepper tried to do your mangler nonsense on Nucleus tonight and I got so many headshots on him. Silly Pepper.

Sciz

Hightower could probably use another angle overlooking the hills to attack defending sentries from, but it is otherwise sublime.

KotH is probably my favorite mode, especially nucleus. I can just patrol the hallway as a Demoknight and take out random people that cross my path, especially on the side that does not have the balcony. So much metal and health pick ups to heal me =).

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Freudian slip!

And we all know, even Hoodoo doesn't like Hoodoo. That's why it will sometimes just push the cart itself on the last map to hurry up and get it over with.

Anyway, having multiple maps doesn't matter when they're all just tiny boxes with 24 players squeezed into them. Hoodoo (and a few mother maps) feel like they were designed for 16 players, not 24. With Hightower the different areas and approaches play differently, and because everyone can spread out and has room to breathe you get much more interesting encounters. I'd rather play a 5 hours High Tower match than a half hour Hoodoo match.
Yeah, I meant hightower. :(

I also like KOTH maps! Even nucleus is not bad.

Acerac said:
I'd guess because he was young enough that he was still losing baby teeth and therefore the nature of your question flew over his head?

Do middle school aged kids really not know what "hot" means in that context?

Acerac

Banned
Obsessed said:
Do middle school aged kids really not know what "hot" means in that context?
He was (apparently) still losing his baby teeth. I think we can excuse ignorance of those in that age group. ;)

Worse than that, he didn't know who Belle Eve was!

Acerac said:
He was (apparently) still losing his baby teeth. I think we can excuse ignorance of those in that age group. ;)

Worse than that, he didn't know who Belle Eve was!

I dunno. I was losing my baby teeth pretty late. Though I acknowledge I was an unusual case.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
There was a young boy on the server and I wasn't informed? Steam messages, people. Use them.

Also true story: I like all the maps.

Yeef said:
Also, SgtPepper tried to do your mangler nonsense on Nucleus tonight and I got so many headshots on him. Silly Pepper.
I should have kept quiet! I should point out that most of your headshots just pushed me out of the roof, and the fall killed me each time.

I went to a random server and I pulled it awesomely. There were people like "Where the fuck are those beams coming from?" They never looked up, and I was giggling like a little school girl.

Borgnine said:
There was a young boy on the server and I wasn't informed? Steam messages, people. Use them.

Also true story: I like all the maps.

I don't think you were online at the time. I'll be sure to alert you next time though.

Proven

Sciz said:
Hightower could probably use another angle overlooking the hills to attack defending sentries from, but it is otherwise sublime.
Hightower for me just needs an easier way to get to the opponents' sniper deck. Right now it's too annoying to attack snipers who stick up there as another class. Once up there, if they widened the window you could use that area to fire down at sentries in the hill room.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cloudius12 said:
Thanks for the tips guys. I was just practicing Demoman in offline mode just to get used to the class. I didn't know I could detonate stickies while using the GL. Most of the time when I was actually playing Demoman, I had sticky launcher equipped just to shoot and explode if I had any close encounter.
Train yourself to use the Grenade Launcher. Train train train. While the temptation to spam it for safety purposes or the cheap kill is very strong, your best bet is to retain those 4 beautiful cases of explosives for better occasions unless you are providing a retreat and want to annoy pursuers. The average Demoman stinks at short-range and the Grenade Launcher can be used to protect you for that.

Learn its arc, how high you need to aim depending on distance, how fast it travels, everything. There is nothing finer than killing a Soldier with an air nade after they think they are safe to be on rocket jumping on you, or hitting a Scout on the fly because he thinks he can float-jump over your stickies, or taking out a level 3 sentry gun with only 2 direct nades (tactic can be used on suicide runs if you aim well enough while strafing). Corridors and corners are your friends, while Engineers will hate you for taking out their setup without an Uber. Big open spaces are always fun but it is harder to nail the opposition directly unless the width of the map is no bigger than Dustbowl's stage 1, capture 1 area. Luckily you have the Stickybomb Launcher for anything larger.

The best ones are when a random nade crit pops out and hits a Medic who is standing amongst a few adversaries while exclusively overhealing a Heavy. Kabeem indeed.

Yeef

Proven said:
Hightower for me just needs an easier way to get to the opponents' sniper deck. Right now it's too annoying to attack snipers who stick up there as another class. Once up there, if they widened the window you could use that area to fire down at sentries in the hill room.
Getting up the center tower is pretty easy and just about any class can hassle the snipers in the sniper deck from there. During the final push though, actually getting into the deck does take a bit of effort for the less mobile classes. it's super easy with scout, sodlier and demoman though.

Top Bottom