• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Trading |OT|

Rickenslacker said:
Should've insisted on Steam trading. Don't know what the item limit on that is, but it's more than 8 at least.

I didn't know about it. My computer's a shitbox and TF2 is the only PC game I play, and I just got back into it a week and a half ago.

Gav47

My Feverish pursuit of an El Jefe has left me with a Hero's Tail and a Killers Kabuto for trade. I can offer the tail and the Kabuto for a normal version of the El Jefe or the two hats + two keys for the Genuine version.

My BP

Conceptor

Thagomizer said:
Traded the above unusual, guy said that he would give me 9 refs + hat of my choice. As soon as the first trade went through, he backed out and blocked me on steam. Yes, I'm aware of how stupid that is and that the game itself warns you not to do honor rules trades.

Oh well, lesson learned, and all I lost was an in-game item.

Aw man.. :(.

Just for future ref, you can (as mentioned earlier) trade tf2 items through the Steam interface. Also, I think I'd go ahead and PM the steam ID of the person you traded with to Cuban Legend, as he can probably forward it to whomever runs/updates that Steam/TF2 scammer blacklist a lot of the popular trading websites use.

Goon Boon

Banned
Traded the above unusual, guy said that he would give me 9 refs + hat of my choice. As soon as the first trade went through, he backed out and blocked me on steam. Yes, I'm aware of how stupid that is and that the game itself warns you not to do honor rules trades.

I'd contact steam support. The 9 refined + hat was probably worth a twentieth of what the unusual was worth, even if the whole trade went through. Maybe they can undo the trade or something.

(._.)

Banned
Thagomizer said:

damn dude smh. that unusal would have probably fetched at least $100+ in USD. Could be worth twice that depending on where things go. you could probably report him to steamrep and get him flagged as a scammer. He probably already is flagged though.

OP needs to be updated for tf2 noobs. Should say something in big bold text like if they unbox an unusual they should ask for help trading it in here before doing anything. You can sometimes cash out for a good bit of money. There are a ton of tf2 scammers.

Goon Boon said:
I'd contact steam support. The 9 refined + hat was probably worth a twentieth of what the unusual was worth, even if the whole trade went through. Maybe they can undo the trade or something.
they wont do a thing.

Thagomizer said:

Now this really pisses me off. Not only was that asshole ripping you off (it is worth way much more than what he said) but then he scammed it by not finishing the trade. This website will show the guy that took it (once it updates), then there could be some way we could report it (either to Valve or SteamRep). Not sure if Valve does anything though :(

http://www.tf2items.com/item/476591540

Goon Boon

Banned
(._.) said:
damn dude smh. that unusal would have probably fetched at least $100+ in USD. Could be worth twice that depending on where things go. you could probably report him to steamrep and get him flagged as a scammer. He probably already is flagged though.

OP needs to be updated for tf2 noobs. Should say something in big bold text like if they unbox an unusual they should ask for help trading it in here before doing anything. You can sometimes cash out for a good bit of money. There are a ton of tf2 scammers.

they wont do a thing.
Well he probably won't get the hat back, yeah. But if it's some obvious scam or previous scammer, they may take action against them.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003

Anyways, do you have a link to the scammer's steam profile? (ID is changable, so check the url for the profile). I'll see if I can get him put on a blacklist or something.

Goon Boon said:
Well he probably won't get the hat back, yeah. But if it's some obvious scam or previous scammer, they may take action against them.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003

Anyways, do you have a link to the scammer's steam profile? (ID is changable, so check the url for the profile). I'll see if I can get him put on a blacklist or something.

THis is him.

I'm really annoyed with myself now. I was intending to sell it for real money ( I don't really give a shit about in game items by themselves, to be honest,) but I traded it with him because he said that it wasn't a popular hat and worth $10 at most.

Goddamn, P.T. Barnum would have a field day with me :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, not only does he already get the hat for like 1/10th of its value, he doesn't even hold up the full trade. What an ass.

So, was that hat really worth $300 or are you guys exaggerating? I'm taking a semester off to help my brother with a severe injury and really could have used that money :/

One things for sure is that I'm never trading a potentially valuable item without waiting for this thread's input ever again.

*bangs head on desk*

Unusuals are some of the highest valued items in the game, any of them worth more than any promo item I think. Did you just get really lucky with an uncrating? Sorry to hear about the scam.

Rickenslacker said:
Unusuals are some of the highest valued items in the game, any of them worth more than any promo item I think. Did you just get really lucky with an uncrating? Sorry to hear about the scam.

Yeah, it was my 5th or 6th crate (bought 4 keys, traded for others). How rare are these?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Thagomizer said:
THis is him.

I'm really annoyed with myself now. I was intending to sell it for real money ( I don't really give a shit about in game items by themselves, to be honest,) but I traded it with him because he said that it wasn't a popular hat and worth $10 at most.

Goddamn, P.T. Barnum would have a field day with me :(

why would you take the word of someone that wants your item? OMFG. So this is how people get so many unusual hats.

Thagomizer said:
Yeah, it was my 5th or 6th crate (bought 4 keys, traded for others). How rare are these?

Extremely rare. As the crate says... I've opened around 35 crates and have only received weapons, paint, and 1 taunt out of them.

You should definitely report that guy for scamming. Yes that hat is worth quite a bit of money. That really sucks.

Thagomizer said:
dude, I am sorry for what happened to you, I understand getting a good deal but that was a huge rip-off/scam.

You should have to us here and ask for advice, I believe that even the crappiest of unusuals could sell for at least 30 to 40$ yours could be sold for 150$ to 200$ maybe more. :(

let me ask you something, how did this individual contacted you? These scamers have an eye for naive/new people, I don't know how thwy do it.

Where you on a trade server? how did you advertise your unusual?

XeroSauce

Thagomizer said:
So, was that hat really worth $300 or are you guys exaggerating? I'm taking a semester off to help my brother with a severe injury and really could have used that money :/

One things for sure is that I'm never trading a potentially valuable item without waiting for this thread's input ever again.

*bangs head on desk*

Absolutly. Being a Demoman hat and being a very popular effect, you could ahve easily gotten $250+ for it.

We need to make a public declaration..

If you or your family or friends ever encounter an unusual, approach it with caution, and please refer to this thread to keep your sanity. Brought to you by the Board of TF2-GAF: I know the feel, bro

I was on a regular game and uncrated it. I left a few minutes after that ( I had been playing for the better part of the day and was planning on leaving after opening those crates anyway) and he contacted me immediately after. He was really pushy about it, too.

So many red flags, damn. It's a good thing I've never gotten e-mails from Nigerian princes.

Anyway, I sent in a report to Steam. Here's my report:

I am filing this to report a scammer within Team Fortress 2. Earlier today, I uncrated an Unusual Scotch Bonnet with Orbiting Fire, and was offered a trade by the user "Lenin Stalin Jr" (link at end of message). I was unaware of the value of this item, and was told by the scammer that he would offer 9 refined metals and a hat for it. I was hesitant and wanted to look up the value of the item, but was told that it was of minimal value. For whatever reason, Steam trade wasn't functioning- I couldn't see his invite, which, in hindsight, he probably never sent at all- so the trade was done in game. Before he could finish the trade with the last of what we agreed to, he backed out and blocked me on Steam. I later learned that his initial offer-which he cheated me out of- was itself a gross undervaluing of the item.

I am fully aware that I ignored multiple warnings within the software itself and failed to due diligent research into the value of the item. I take full responsibility for my mistake and that the item was not "stolen" or "hijacked"(this being the closest menu option); however, I wish that he be flagged as a scammer as he fully and knowingly took advantage of someone who was less than knowledgeable about the game.

http://tf2b.com/76561198039531758

This is the URL to his profile.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

-*my username*

Iadien said:
did you receive the 9 ref and a hat?

No, I got 8 ref. As I said, stupid, stupid n00by naivety loses me a few hundred dollars.

It's a harsh lessons, but at least they didn't scam by trying to sell me faulty car parts or something. It's just a game.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
If you get your hat back I would be shocked, but hopefully the guy will at least get banned or the hat removed.

Iadien said:
If you get your hat back I would be shocked, but hopefully the guy will at least get banned or the hat removed.

I'm not going to get the hat back- their policy is very clear on that, and I fully understand and respect that policy- but I would like to see something happen to him.

Hopefully being polite in the e-mail will help, considering the volume of "OMG VALV U SUXX!!" they typically get

Thagomizer said:
Thanks, glad I haven't sent it yet!

If he wants to sell for cash, I am pretty sure he will advertize it on
www.sourceop.com keep an eye on the selling section of the forums
people on sourceop take this kind of things seriously and once he is labeled as a scamer
he is pretty much done, I don't know to what extend that would help you getting your hat back, if you can publicly call out that bastard that is something.

also search for your hat on:

www.tf2tp.com and www.tf2tradepost.com

Does Steam save chat logs? That web site you gave me requires chat logs and I closed out of them before the actual trading took place.

this whole thing is really making me look hopelessly inept

Thagomizer said:
Does Steam save chat logs? That web site you gave me requires chat logs and I closed out of them before the actual trading took place.

this whole thing is really making me look hopelessly inept

I don't think so, people usually take screenshots with the chat window opened during the transaction, but that's the main site when it comes to selling and promoting an unusual, so your chances of him advertising there are pretty big.

The Omega Man said:
I don't think so, people usually take screenshots with the chat window opened during the transaction, but that's the main site when it comes to selling and promoting an unusual, so your chances of him advertising there are pretty big.

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the help, everyone.

vehn

Thagomizer said:
I was on a regular game and uncrated it. I left a few minutes after that ( I had been playing for the better part of the day and was planning on leaving after opening those crates anyway) and he contacted me immediately after. He was really pushy about it, too.

You posted in this thread at 3:56 asking what the price was for that hat, meaning you must have been talking to him already given you got it and was talking to him within a few minutes. Why didn't you just wait for a response? You did the right thing by posting here, but I guess you just decided to rush it and not wait for a response.

Learn to be patient!

Iadien said:
to get Source OP to look into and acknowledge that it happened, you need definitive/conclusive proof/evidence.

1. sumbit chat logs along with screenshots of the chat window.

2. The next step if that isnt available would be to check the item's owner history (and the hat currently doesnt have a history registered yet)

IF these things were in place, then SourceOP mods would keep a close lookout for any such hat being traded, and they COULD POSSIBLY use their trusted middlemen status to get you your hat back.

vehn said:
You posted in this thread at 3:56 asking what the price was for that hat, meaning you must have been talking to him already given you got it and was talking to him within a few minutes. Why didn't you just wait for a response? You did the right thing by posting here, but I guess you just decided to rush it and not wait for a response.

Learn to be patient!

I assumed he was telling the truth and just decided to go with it anyway. I actually did wait for about half an hour, and when I got no response, did the trade.

I've learned my lesson, believe me.

Cuban Legend said:
to get Source OP to look into and acknowledge that it happened, you need definitive/conclusive proof/evidence.

1. sumbit chat logs along with screenshots of the chat window.

2. The next step if that isnt available would be to check the item's owner history (and the hat currently doesnt have a history registered yet)

IF these things were in place, then SourceOP mods would keep a close lookout for any such hat being traded, and they COULD POSSIBLY use their trusted middlemen status to get you your hat back.

As I said, I don't have the chat log, because I am teh n00b suckerz and so going to SourceOP for help really isn't available.

I'm more annoyed at myself than anything. I can't really get mad because, again, it's just a few hundred polygons and shaders in a video game, even if it was potentially worth a bundle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The_Technomancer said:
I could have sworn that I did like two weeks ago...

EDIT: Yeah, I had
Oh sorry, the link under TF2 Essentials subheading still links to the old one. Didn't even realize it was at the top of the post.

Top Bottom