• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway - Review Thread

CHC

Something about all these reviews just makes me want to be 10 years old again and to get this game and a brand new Vita on Christmas. Being an adult buying day one digital is cool and all, don't get me wrong, but Tearaway brings out all the excitement of like a new Lego set or something....

There are going to be some $150 Vitas next week for Black Friday (ebay, and I think Amazon will match?). Good time to pick up Tearaway. :p

Takao

Banned
I can't find this on the NA store anywhere. All I see is this with no option to buy:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...away/cid=UP9000-PCSA00099_00-TEARAWAYPARENTPR

Anyone have any ideas?

SCEA doesn't do digital preorders for Vita games.

Is it possible to still buy OLED Vitas? Might have to get one soon to play this.

LCD Vitas have only been released in Asia.

Do we knoe the size of the game?

I wanna go "Card" on this one but it will be so expensive here in Brazil that I might just buy the digital version over PSn and save a lot of cash.

1.3GB for Europe. 976MB for North America.

billsmugs

I'm getting the retail version for Tearaway, but those sizes remind me how much I wish you could choose the languages you want when you download Vita games. With the high price of the memory cards it's annoying knowing that hundreds of megabytes are being used up by audio in languages you don't need.

TheExodu5

Banned
Despite the review scores, every piece of media I see about this game makes it seem extremely boring, gimmicky, and shallow. Is there a video out there that might change my mind?

CompC

Wow, I was kinda excited for this, but now I'm really excited. I'll pick up a copy when I go get 3D World and A Link Between Worlds!

ttocs

I thought this game didn't come out until Friday? Amazon.com has an option to have it delivered tomorrow for $3.99 with Prime.

Siddiqui

Despite the review scores, every piece of media I see about this game makes it seem extremely boring, gimmicky, and shallow. Is there a video out there that might change my mind?

The review scores are great but forum hype might make it look like it's doing a little better than it really is - 86.3% on gamerankings [compared to 91.3 for Link Between Worlds and 94.65 for 3D World.] Sounds like it's about a 6 hour game and if you've seen the media and read the reviews but it still doesn't seem to suit your taste you probably won't like it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stupid sony only make trailers focused on fingers from the ground or faces on the sun, but if you search a little on youtube you should be able to find more realistic gameplay videos.

The review scores are great but forum hype might make it look like it's doing a little better than it really is - 86.3% on gamerankings [compared to 91.3 for Link Between Worlds and 94.65 for 3D World.] Sounds like it's about a 6 hour game and if you've seen the media and read the reviews but it still doesn't seem to suit your taste you probably won't like it.
I wonder why you are saying it's not as good using gamerankings instead of the overused metacritic(that has a little better average) and comparing its score to nintendo games :p

Anyway that average is the result's of the 6 score of the stupid joystiq review(there's a riot in the comments) and a pair of 7 scores that lowers the average, all the other 42(over 46!) reviews have a score of 8 or higher, there are even some 10.

At this point people should already know that often vita games get lower scores than deserved or unfair reviews(soul sacrifice was the worst offender imo). Joystiq apart Tearaway seems to getting fair reviews, i hope this becomes the rule, not the exception.

Sotha_Sil

If I ever get a Vita, I'll probably get this. More importantly, it shows me that MediaMolecule still has "it", even if this was made by just a small MM team. I'm excited to see their PS4 project.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

what even is gamerankings?

pretty suspect post lol

Jonboy

Folks with Vitas need to support this game. I fear it will get slaughtered by the onslaught of new games/systems. I definitely plan on picking it up.

Media Molecule Finds a Way!
p0QHO.gif

zroid

Banned

lol, just for the sake of argument I'll take the gameranking score seriously, because 86% looks damn good to me. and there's plenty of hype for Zelda and Mario on this forum -- probably more than for Tearaway -- so I think there's enough hype to go around for all three games, and they're each getting as much as they deserve based on the great scores they're receiving.

i simply have NO time to play this at ALL before at least another year or so (horrible backlog of AAA titles and gems to play through) but i will buy it regardless just to support these types of games for the Vita or in general!

Siddiqui

I wonder why you are saying it's not as good using gamerankings instead of the overused metacritic(that has a little better average) and comparing its score to nintendo games :p.

I always prefer gamerankings. You can use metacritic though, scores are almost the same. I used Zelda and Mario because I've seen them mentioned several times in this thread. The three games are coming out on the same day in North America and are getting great reviews.

Anyway that average is the result's of the 6 score of the stupid joystiq review(there's a riot in the comments) and a pair of 7 scores that lowers the average, all the other 42(over 46!) reviews have a score of 8 or higher, there are even some 10.

Yes a lot of sites have given it a score of 8/10 or 4/5. That lowers the average and helps cancel the 10/10s. Tons of games get controvertial reviews, I never said otherwise. For example destructoids recent 6.5/10 review for Link Between Worlds was a major outlier and the only score below 8 so far [of 23 reviews on gamerankings and 42 reviews on metacritic]. No 7s. For 3D World only has 3 scores below 9 on metacritic [of 44 reviews], only one score below 9 on gamerankings [of 27 reviews] - almost all are 9s and 10s.

At this point people should already know that often vita games get lower scores than deserved or unfair reviews(soul sacrifice was the worst offender imo). Joystiq apart Tearaway seems to getting fair reviews, i hope this becomes the rule, not the exception.

As I said the game is getting great review scores. I don't know if the reviews are fair, I haven't played the game and I never said otherwise. I was only responding to TheExodus5.

Siddiqui

what even is gamerankings?

pretty suspect post lol

Gamerankings is a review aggregate site like metacritic. It has been around for a while. I notice Wikipedia pages for games always seem to cite it along with metacritic when judging a games reception.

lol, just for the sake of argument I'll take the gameranking score seriously, because 86% looks damn good to me. and there's plenty of hype for Zelda and Mario on this forum -- probably more than for Tearaway -- so I think there's enough hype to go around for all three games, and they're each getting as much as they deserve based on the great scores they're receiving.

I never said the reviews were bad, I said they were great. But there are better reviewed games on even the vita itself. If this is a system seller it is not the first on the Vita based on reviews.

Amir0x

Banned
I am pretty excited about this game because some trusted GAFers cannot stop gushing over this. Nice to see the media seems to like it, but I can't put much value in them anymore. Still, I hope it at least means it might sell a few more copies

Not only do they release this in the worst possible week, but they don't even release it on Tuesday like normal, they instead hold off until Friday which is then not only the same week but the same damn day as Mario and Zelda? what

Amir0x

Banned
Not only do they release this in the worst possible week, but they don't even release it on Tuesday like normal, they instead hold off until Friday which is then not only the same week but the same damn day as Mario and Zelda? what

AND the same damn day as Xbox One

Vita games really are doomed to torturous failure lol

J-Man

On top of that, it's at the retailers now. It was on display at a Walmart near me, but when I tried to purchase it, the register said they could not sell it to me. The employee said he'd be removing it from the store floor. It's not like there is some big advertising campaign with the date, they should have just released it on Tuesday.

Stoof

3D World and Zelda are already assaulting my wallet Friday, going to have to resist grabbing a Vita too. Great reviews so far though!

UberTag

Folks with Vitas need to support this game. I fear it will get slaughtered by the onslaught of new games/systems. I definitely plan on picking it up.
I did my part.
Not only am I buying this game on Friday, I also sold my boss on buying this game for his 4-year-old daughter.
Plus, he contributed $50 to my PS4 purchase last week by taking my old 32GB memory card off my hands.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
While I planned on going retail for this, I have that $20 credit from Sony, so I'm going to use it on this and pick it up digitally. I probably won't do it day one, though. Maybe next week.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, reviews are cool too. I don't pay much attention to them, but it is interesting when a game gets universal praise or universal disdain. Media Molecule is an insanely talented developer, so I'm not surprised their new game is enjoyable.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
While I planned on going retail for this, I have that $20 credit from Sony, so I'm going to use it on this and pick it up digitally. I probably won't do it day one, though. Maybe next week.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, reviews are cool too. I don't pay much attention to them, but it is interesting when a game gets universal praise or universal disdain. Media Molecule is an insanely talented developer, so I'm not surprised their new game is enjoyable.

if you pick it up digitally the first few days you get the bonus pre order stuff: ost, 2 psn avatars, vita wall paper, lbp dlc, and a skin for the in game ridable pig (lol)

Top Bottom