• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ted 2' dogged by claims of racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
because the movie is not about the plight of race/sexuality in the US but a comedy taking the mick out of it.

Exactly. He's mocking their plight—which is not inherently bad or racist... but it does beg the question: is he laughing with them or at them? Quite a few reviewers argue: at them.

Slayven

And nobody saw it.

It's far more likely that we're going to run out of people who understand comedy, racial relations, and society well enough to make something that makes us laugh at something we know to be actually wrong than dumb easy joke comedies going away. We should probably be more worried about that then whether or not Ted 2 will be any good.

Fresh of the Boat and Blackish are doing well, I think things are actually looking up as we get more diversity behind the camera. That is the main thing getting diversity behind the camera.

You know what's funny ... We would have never gotten the new Cosmos without Seth. He approached Neil deGrasse Tyson about it, convinced Fox to do it, produced it, etc.

Yeah, and he's got about 50 other similar Hail Marys, Our Fathers, and Acts of Contrition left to go before his penance is served.

sensui-tomo

I like the humor, but i can understand why others could/would be offended by it.
Seth Mcfarland probably believes this quote to the letter.
i-think-its-the-duty-of-the-comedian-to-find-out-where-the-line-is-drawn-and-cross-it-deliberately-quote-1.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

Of course they know Family Guy. How does Family Guy being fucking terrible absolve Ted 2 from also being fucking terrible?

I highly recommend reading Wesley Morris' review of it on Grantland.

https://grantland.com/features/dumber-than-your-average-bear/

I'm going to post this again because grant land.
http://grantland.com/features/dumber-than-your-average-bear/

It takes about 10 seconds for the funniest moment in Ted 2 to become the worst. Mind you, “worst” in a movie like this — one from Seth MacFarlane, whose sense of humor generally bodes about as well for moviegoers as a dorsal fin does for swimmers — doubles as a badge of honor. The movie’s opening title sequence is a musical number in which Ted — that magical teddy bear first brought to insult-comic life by MacFarlane in 2012 — and dancers in formalwear frolic around a skyscraping wedding cake. It’s like something out of Mel Brooks but utterly sincere. The bear slides along a piano keyboard and leaps along the male dancers’ top hats. The leaping feels right for MacFarlane and Ted 2. He won’t be happy until he has danced on your head.

Anyway, that moment. It’s at a fertility clinic. For this sequel, Ted has wed his girlfriend, Tami-Lynn McCafferty (Jessica Barth), and after that wedding cake sequence, the movie flashes forward a year to a life of shouting matches in their Boston apartment. Their fellow supermarket cashier, Joy (Cocoa Brown), senses discord and crassly suggests a baby. But Ted is anatomically ill-equipped to create one — or to provide adequate sexual pleasure, as Tami-Lynn might add in a Boston accent that has traveled the I-95 corridor from Queens. After some fruitless digressions, Ted asks his dim, luckless, nominally human best friend, John (Mark Wahlberg), to donate his sperm, which leads to the clinic, where John is childishly eager to show Ted his load in a room piled high with the canistered donations of other men.

One giant rack of apparently unfastened containers falls on John, leaving him soaking and screaming on the floor. Ted laughs. So do we, because watching Walhberg degrade himself this emphatically is funny. It’s one of the few times in any movie that an emotion really surfaces on his face, and that the emotion is disgust somehow makes it funnier. Someone from the clinic comes in alarmed, but says not to worry. John’s only been doused with the unusable sperm of men with sickle cell. There’s no explanation of sickle cell’s being a blood disease that potentially affects the health of about 100,000 Americans, most of whom are African American. There’s just Ted, connecting the dots enough to say, through his laughter, that John shouldn’t feel bad. “You see that? You’re covered in rejected black guys’ sperm,” he says. “You’re like a Kardashian!”

Yeah, I'm going to avoid this and both of their movies for now on and I'm going to implicate Walhberg in this, as well. If not for Two Guns, I would really be ready to throw him in the bushes.

Mesoian

Fresh of the Boat and Blackish are doing well, I think things are actually looking up as we get more diversity behind the camera. That is the main thing getting diversity behind the camera.

To be fair, those are sitcoms. People watch that stuff because it's there. We don't even have the boondocks anymore, that show is more about anime fights that challenging the status quo and the racist aspects of modern society with comedy now.

When we start getting feature length comedies directed and starring black people that don't check out at "GURL GET MAH WEEVE!" or having a black man in drag and a fatsuit, i'll rest a little easier.

Briarios

Yeah, and he's got about 50 other similar Hail Marys, Our Fathers, and Acts of Contrition left to go before his penance is served.

He's got no need for contrition. He did it because he loves science & Tyson. You think someone needs to serve a penance because they write something you don't like? Hubris run amok, man ...

Jag

Maybe this is why they lose the case and take a road trip to Manhattan to convince an actual civil rights lawyer to take up their cause. He’s played by Morgan Freeman, whose participation suggests a customized script in which references to black semen and black penises have been redacted. It’s strange enough that Freeman would endorse MacFarlane’s bankrupt evocations of justice and equality by loaning the movie his movie-god status — but a film like this demonstrates the hollowness at the core of that omnipotence: He’s basically doing butler work for the bear.

See I don't get this. The white chick is a shitty lawyer, so they go to NYC to hire Freeman as a hot shot city lawyer, but somehow he's still the butler??

The black characters are all movie-servant class — Dennis Haysbert might be a doctor, Ron Canada might be a judge, but it’s in the same way that Morgan Freeman’s a lawyer.
Honestly I think this is reaching. There is tons of crap to give the movie for being low brow and insulting to a range of people and races, but I'm not sure that casting black people as doctors, lawyers and judges counts as racist somehow.

Replicant

It stars a guy who once beat up an old Chinese guy and never once apologized nor expressed remorse for his behaviour.

Oh, he's a homophobe too but that's not a surprise either since most racist usually also turns out to be homophobic and sexist.

Mesoian

Of course they know Family Guy. How does Family Guy being fucking terrible absolve Ted 2 from also being fucking terrible?

It's not about absolution, it's about consistency in being terrible.

It's like when someone writes an article about Dane Cook being awful and confrontational at a show , your first response shouldn't be, "my god, what a terrible show he had that night, to the point where he was snapping at the audience and being a prick? I sure hope his next show will be better and more entertaining," it should be, "of course he was. He's Dane Cook, this happens all the time, don't buy tickets to see Dane Cook."

No one going into see Ted 2 should be remotely surprised at the level of crassness the movie is going to dish up. You know what you're talking into simply by the directors body of work.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
See I don't get this. The white chick is a shitty lawyer, so they go to NYC to hire Freeman as a hot shot city lawyer, but somehow he's still the butler??
"He’s played by Morgan Freeman, whose participation suggests a customized script in which references to black semen and black penises have been redacted." is also kind of ridiculous. It's not like Morgan Freeman is the most selective actor when it comes to his roles.

kirblar

I'm going to post this again because grant land.
http://grantland.com/features/dumber-than-your-average-bear/

Yeah, I'm going to avoid this and both of their movies for now on and I'm going to implicate Walhberg in this, as well. If not for Two Guns, I would really be ready to throw him in the bushes.
But in that fertility clinic, he has aimed some of that sense of inadequacy at a multiracial family with diverse sexualities that, unthinkably, through its very public existence, has come to represent revolutionary love, compassion, and social imagination.
The writer is missing the frame of reference for that joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhS2q7IHQM (The movie looks like complete shit, but this joke isn't aimed at black people.)

Jinkies

It's extremely surface-level humor that is intended to be offensive and, at times, malicious. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I'm not a fan of it. I really love American Dad, however, which has a similar punchiness to it (granted, Seth does not write for it, as far as I'm aware).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Peoe seem to hate this. I gotta see it now!
It's extremely surface-level humor that is intended to be offensive and, at times, malicious. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I'm not a fan of it. I really love American Dad, however, which has a similar punchiness to it (granted, Seth does not write for it, as far as I'm aware).

When he left the show, AD went through some sort of Renaissance and hit some amazing marks for a Fox animated comedy. It was a good time. Although I haven't really watched it since it made the switch to TBS.

ATF487

The issue it sounds like is that it is trying to address the plight of racial discrimination due to the very nature of the premise (Ted is considered not to be a person, thus losing all his rights and freedoms associated with being a human, and sets out to fight for his rights) and simply bungles it with ugly humor that undermines the social value it's trying to instill.

I understand that bit, but there's a difference between saying that it doesn't really hold together as a worthwhile premise due to the ill fitting humor and lack of tact, and saying that it offends me because the talking bear wasn't an appropriate avatar for the experience of being a minority in the US.

I suppose I just find the idea of the Ted movies to be so stupid and absurd that I don't expect much from them, especially not to be successful at making serious social commentary. I think the Grantland article overthought a lot of it.

I like the humor, but i can understand why others could/would be offended by it.
Seth Mcfarland probably believes this quote to the letter.

I love comedy and I feel like comedians should say whatever the fuck they want. But Seth McFarlane isn't trying to find the line to make any biting social statement or anything like that. He's just a fucking hack who relies on decades-old stereotypes to get cheap laughs when he doesn't know what to write in a scene.

I'm less offended by the shit he puts on the screen than the lack of effort that went into it.

stilgar

Is this movie funny? Y/N

Do the "over the line" jokes serve a purpose apart from "it's funny because he's fat" or "She loves burrito because she's Hispanic, and also fat"? Because this way of making comedies (in the Adam Sandler way) is offensive for real.

Generally speaking though, I won't be a good friend with someone who gets offended by a joke.

Agreed on all points.

This. Enough with the fake outrage America.

Fake outrage America? Please, go on and reveal your true thoughts, I want to hear about what else you think people are overreacting to since racism/sexism/transphobia isn't a big deal. Jokes are supposed to be funny and Seth hasn't been for a decade, now he relies more and more on shock 'humor' that mainly appeals to preteens.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm not so much offended by the content of his humor so much as the quality and redundancy of it.
He's the McDonalds of comedy.

I don't understand why people are expecting or wanting better from him. His whole career is appealing to the layman. All the best to him, he's done with it so far.

Kain

Problem with Seth is he has shown no growth as writer or comedian. See 6 eps of Family Guy and you have seen the guy's whole range, twice. Who ever took over on American Dad is a genius though

Yeeeeep. AD is way funnier than FG at this point.

FG had some really brilliant moments in the first seasons then it became The Simpsons (although I tolerate FG much more than TS).

Anyway, people seem to not understand what comedy and humor is. Their loss.

Is this movie funny? Y/N

Do the "over the line" jokes serve a purpose apart from "it's funny because he's fat" or "She loves burrito because she's Hispanic, and also fat"? Because this way of making comedies (in the Adam Sandler way) is offensive for real.

Generally speaking though, I'm not a friend with someone who gets offended by a joke.

I found it hysterical, although the funniest moments were the ones that weren't trying to push the envelope.

Slayven

FG had some really brilliant moments in the first seasons then it became The Simpsons (although I tolerate FG much more than TS).

Steve breaking out in R&B kills me every time.

Acorn

Family Guy is dreck. I stopped watching long before the dog ate the little child's feces. So I have no doubt Ted 2 is more of the same, only somehow less.

But the furor makes me wonder how a movie like Blazing Saddles, which was legitimately funny, would fare today.

Would it be shouted down?
Yes. But you can't just take something from the 70s and transport it to now.

KalBalboa

Banned
Seth is a pretty trashy entertainer. He knows the safest ways to make money.

Don't be confused when people criticize him and his material.

sensui-tomo

Offensive humor is his shtick, there is no line.

Yeah there is. It's not hard to see either.

Time to quote my post from this same page.

Also I love dark humor so I'm probably biased... hell I laugh at stupid sounds and almost for no particular reason. Doesn't mean I cant laugh at offensive behavior... Its why the phrase "I'm going to hell for laughing at this" came about, I feel bad about what i'm laughing at, I dont know why i'm laughing at it, but I am. Doesn't mean i agree with the joke either.

stilgar

I found it hysterical, although the funniest moments were the ones that weren't trying to push the envelope.

Well, thanks! This is the kind of criticism I wanna read, more than a general "it's offensive", which to me doesn't have any kind of impact if I don't know whether the actual jokes work or not.

Acorn

American Dad picked a better "wacky" character gimmick. Stewies "evil child" gimmick died after the original run, but Roger can be riffed off forever with his disguise gimmick.

Mariolee

I think this is most likely blown out of proportion, but on the other hand it's also very easy to criticize someone complaining when the subject matter at hand isn't making a mockery of something you hold personal as well.

bryehn

I just realized I own Ted, but never watched it. Also the humor described sounds like your typical Family Guy humor.

TED was one of the better things he's done IMO, the humour works in the movie's context (it's a stoner comedy). Not particularly interested in Ted 2 after A Million Ways though, that was legit cacadoodoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom