• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ted 2' dogged by claims of racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnby

Is it called "fake outrage" because there were more people outraged about outrage than there was outrage?

No, its when people complain for the sake of complaing.

Other examples, Josh Whedon's Twitter incident and the more recent "robot apartheid" outrage.(lmao)

Klossen

Banned
Bad jokes aren't offensive. They're bad jokes. Someone will always find a reason to find offense in a joke if one wants to. That is what a joke is. It ridicules. It trivializes. It defies norms. I'm not saying that every comedian needs to be vulgar and edgy, only that your approach to humor is wrong if you can't let go of your own ego and pride.

railGUN

Banned
I'm not sure how it's being dogged by these claims, is it doing bad in the box office?

Welcome to Outrage Watch, HitFix's (almost) daily rundown of entertainment-related kerfuffles. Not anxious enough already? Get your fix of righteous indignation below, and stay posted for outrage updates throughout the week.

Also, Outrage Watch? lol.

Ridley327

I'm not sure how it's being dogged by these claims, is it doing bad in the box office?

Estimates are putting it well under what the first film did in its first weekend. I don't know if that can be chalked up to any outrage or there not being any lightning to capture this time around (the first film made serious bank worldwide), but it's not looking to be the breakout hit that the original was.

When I there were a lot of empty seats comparef to the first filn that was absolutely packed.

Probably the best scene in that movie.

Like I was saying earlier, the movie was very hit and miss. But I dont feel like it was just some pure display of racist, homophobic, sexist with zero merit. I jusy think a lot of the funniest parts didn't use any of those issues. Think that says more of what the writers could achieve if they challenged themselves.

Estimates are putting it well under what the first film did in its first weekend. I don't know if that can be chalked up to any outrage or there not being any lightning to capture this time around (the first film made serious bank worldwide), but it's not looking to be the breakout hit that the original was.

It's doing really well for a hard R comedy but there is no way it'll do what the first movie did. That thing broke records.

gosox333

I know in my heart that Seth's been using animation for the past 20 or so years as an advertisement for his singing voice.

kirblar

I have just not seen marketing for this film at all.

Cartman86

Banned
It is amazing how irellevent Ricky Gervais and Seth MacFarlane have become over the past 3-4 years. I don't know if it's just me, but there is a feeling of desperation around anything they do. Even among their early supporters. Gervais and MacFarlane's thoughts on religion for example were great for a Bush era America, but then we noticed they were ass holes. Or at least many of us grew up and realized we don't have to support a person just because we agree with them on some issues. I don't know it's the changing times or what. I got the same vibe from Kickass 2 and Sin City 2. Things that weren't aware of a blisteringly fast changing of attitudes.

It is amazing how irellevent Ricky Gervais and Seth MacFarlane have become over the past 3-4 years. I don't know if it's just me, but there is a feeling of desperation around anything they do. Even among their early supporters. Gervais and MacFarlane's thoughts on religion for example were great for a Bush era America, but then we noticed they were ass holes. Or at least many of us grew up and realized we don't have to support a person just because we agree with them on some issues.
Yep. Times have changed, and they haven't. Ricky was a loud atheist voice back when that issue mattered in America, but like Dawkins, we eventually saw through him and saw all the hate he's got for all sorts of things.

ITT: People commenting on a movie they haven't seen, due to an opinion of someone else. You don't even know if you agree with them. Are you people serious?

Think about that... reactions to reactions to a movie they haven't seen. You're as lazy as the writing you didn't hesitate to comment on.

Annnnnnd BINGO!!

Racist? Can't be....not when the main star served time in prison for kicking the shit out of two Vietnamese guys just for being Asian.

Oh wait.

KaiserBecks

It's a movie about a Teddy Bear who drinks alcohol and smokes weed. What exactly did you expect? In this day and age, being offended almost seems to be some kind of absurd hobby for some people.

Any criticism about the race and gender angles taken by contemporary comedy = 'fake outrage' or 'outrage culture.'

If comedians are allowed to say whatever the fuck they want, then so are critics. Those braying about how unnecessary and high-volume the supposed 'outrage culture' is around things they like are lobbing from the glassiest of houses.

If you don't like a comedian - then go ahead and be a critic. Everyone is a critic more than ever with the internet. However, I'm a little tired of whiny liberals using morality as their primary criteria in determining an act's worth, then organizing witch hunts to shut people down.

I don't know any celebrities personally, but I doubt Trevor Noah, Seth MacFarlane, and Louis C.K. are bigots and deserve the blogs, twitter, and televised controversy surrounding their particular brand of comedy. Constantly going public about how offensive controversial comedy subjects can be is really no different than suburban moms calling Bart Simpson a bad influence and writing to TV stations to have The Simpsons pulled.

A good video as well regarding Don Imus's racist comments from great, late comedian Patrice O'Neal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW01Cn_qzj0

Miss Patrice. Watch this for another great Fox News bit.

It's a movie about a Teddy Bear who drinks alcohol and smokes weed. What exactly did you expect? In this day and age, being offended almost seems to be some kind of absurd hobby for some people.
Literally all that's happened is some movie critics have criticized the movie for being racist and sexist. What are you talking about?

When a piece of work attempts to be offensive, it's going to offend people. So why get upset that the expected reaction has happened? Why not engage the criticism intellectually? Instead it's like you wish the criticism was never made, which would just nullify the point of having made the thing in the first place.

If you don't like a comedian - then go ahead and be a critic. Everyone is a critic more than ever with the internet. However, I'm a little tired of whiny liberals using morality as their primary criteria in determining an act's worth, then organizing witch hunts to shut people down.

Is this happening?

No.

Physician, heal thyself.

andthebeatgoeson

Shit, I should be a comedian. Shitty or a legend I can say whatever I want and be completely freed of all consequences.
Well, there is one important factor that won't shield you away from criticism.

It's the same reason you won't get a show nor be allowed to be mediocre and still get your film funded.

Velcro Fly

I always imagined the criticisms in the OP were the point of the movie. Not saying it's right. Just saying it isn't really an accident.

Acorn

Well, there is one important factor that won't shield you away from criticism.

It's the same reason you won't get a show nor be allowed to be mediocre and still get your film funded.
You can't be mediocre and get your film funded? Adam Sandler and Tyler Perry greatest of all time?

Shady859

"'Ted 2' dogged by claims of racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia"

Sounds fun! We are going to see it tonight the first one was pretty good.

Gekko87

This reminds me a lot of the Luke Smith Destiny situation. It seems like people here never bothered to get to "moral of the story" parts in family guy. Yes they made harsh transgender jokes for most of the episode but Quagmire's dad eventually poured his heart out telling his son why he made his decision and they both made peace. They even did an episode on how black people get treated in "baby got black".

All from the newer episodes people seem quick to hate. Trust me I know the writing is not for everybody but to call him a "Morning Zoo FM-Douchebag" seems a little much to me. I respect him mostly for the history he has with animation. I would his stuff over any new SNL episode any day.

KaiserBecks

Literally all that's happened is some movie critics have criticized the movie for being racist and sexist. What are you talking about?

When a piece of work attempts to be offensive, it's going to offend people. So why get upset that the expected reaction has happened? Why not engage the criticism intellectually? Instead it's like you wish the criticism was never made, which would just nullify the point of having made the thing in the first place.

What's happened is some movie critics have criticized it and people are joining them based on what they've heard. I don't care for Ted 2 because I didn't like the first one and the sequel is only being made because Ted was a surprise hit.
However, engaging the criticism is only going to help the movie. I'm not upset at all, I think the irony here is actually hilarious. It's not attempting to be offensive. It's attempting to make money by being offensive.
So yeah, if people didn't bother, nobody would make this crap. Which is certainly the better alternative. Unless one prefers to being offended for the sake of whatever.

Sianos

Quoting my own personal heuristic for offensive jokes from a similar thread:

"here is my personal rule of thumb for offensive jokes

if the punchline of your joke is that an offensive situation or caricature is inherently funny, then you do not have a joke. i.e. an asian joke where the punchline is "lol asians have slanty eyes", a black joke where the punchline is "lol black people and their saggy pants", a joke about women where the punchline is "lol she got raped". you are not making a joke here, you are repeating a stereotype or hurtful situation as if it is inherently funny. this is mere regurgitation, the equivalent of comedic vomit

however, you can use offensive caricatures and situations in a joke to parody absurdity or make a larger point. for instance, key and peele have a skit about slavery where two black slaves up for auction who talked of how they refuse to be owned and will rebel so hard go on to become upset when they are passed up for what appear to be physically weaker slaves and insult the other slaves who were sold. the auctioneer acts haughtily apalled that they would say such rude things and then end the auction early. the two unsold slaves then take the fact that they were not sold as an insult and try to make sales pitches about themselves, finally resigning to "well i didn't want to be sold anyways". despite this skit being about an inherently offensive topic and having the potential to be taken the wrong way by shitty people to mean "lol look at these uppity blacks being mean to each other while the civilized white man disciplines them", this skit is funny because it subverts expectations and parodies an absurd situation. actual thought went into its construction, and it was funny before i explained it

basically, an offensive caricature or situation should not be treated as inherently funny, but can be used to construct a joke that is funny."

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Nah, I'm just commenting on Seth MacFarlane. My comment has nothing to do with his latest movie, but his career in general. It's always played out as if someone decided to animate the hallucinations of your typical drive-time FM-radio morning show.

Most defenses of his shit sound like the sort of thing you'd hear about the FCC fining any other Stern wanna-be trying to get ratings in his local market. "C'mon! His name is Bubba the Love Sponge! How could you take that seriously at all? I mean, Weenie and the Butt, am I right? The Mustard Man live at Five is just going after everyone! When did America become so humorless? Like throwing sandwich meat at a stripper is 'degrading' or whatever. It's all in good fun, man!"
So you haven't watched the movi..got it...continue on with the ad hominems...
however if people/critics are easily offended by Seth MacFarlane's lame jokes then something is wrong with you.....literally...basically it's just arguing for the sake of arguing..jeezus

sensui-tomo

Related, the only time I've ever liked MacFarlane on any level was when he was on SNL. Dude's got a great voice and has so many great impersonations. I don't know why he wastes all of this on humor for 13-year-old boys.

Mad money, my friend, mad amounts of money, he found a way to make comedy make him lots of money. Would like to see him do broadway or something similar though( Acting, not writing) Dude does have a talent that i can respect, his voice is good.

kinggroin

Banned
We live in a very sensitive, very aware, very sympathetic, very PC world.

It's going to be tough for crass comedy to find acclaim without having to endure the gauntlet of criticism associated with the aforementioned societal qualities.

Kinsei

Banned
So you haven't watched the movi..got it...continue on with the ad hominems...
however if people/critics are easily offended by Seth MacFarlane's lame jokes then something is wrong with you.....literally...basically it's just arguing for the sake of arguing..jeezus

Good to know something is wrong with me. I didn't know you were the authority on whether or not something is hurtful.

We live in a very sensitive, very aware, very sympathetic, very PC world.

It's going to be tough for crass comedy to find acclaim without having to endure the gauntlet of criticism associated with the aforementioned societal qualities.

Larry David can pull off offensive jokes with delivery and humor and makes us laugh,

Seth McFarlane is just cheap and lazy

KaiserBecks

Larry David can pull off offensive jokes with delivery and humor and makes us laugh,

Seth McFarlane is just cheap and lazy

Larry David is able to pull this off because he created an alter ego (conveniently named Larry David) who is an asshole. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Of course they know Family Guy. How does Family Guy being fucking terrible absolve Ted 2 from also being fucking terrible?

I highly recommend reading Wesley Morris' review of it on Grantland.

https://grantland.com/features/dumber-than-your-average-bear/

"The movie turns Ted’s fight for personhood into its cause. For representation, they wind up with Amanda Seyfried as Samantha, an expensive attorney’s much cheaper niece, who dashes off some of the civil rights movement’s greatest legal hits to brush up on the case, all while getting stoned with her clients and surfing a John Hughes–style montage of high jinks. Maybe this is why they lose the case and take a road trip to Manhattan to convince an actual civil rights lawyer to take up their cause. He’s played by Morgan Freeman, whose participation suggests a customized script in which references to black semen and black penises have been redacted. It’s strange enough that Freeman would endorse MacFarlane’s bankrupt evocations of justice and equality by loaning the movie his movie-god status — but a film like this demonstrates the hollowness at the core of that omnipotence: He’s basically doing butler work for the bear."

Seth makes the movie god, Morgan Freeman, into just a plot device? Pathetic.

"It’s as if he doesn’t know women or black people — just white comedy writers who love to make fun of them."

heh

I don't get why Seth had to make Ted 2 so political, and completely misfire while being very lazy. He can't do political satire that hits up unlike say like Louis CK or Matt and Trey, so why even go there?

I'll be seeing it. I love "Un-political correctness" God we need george carlin back.

And I'm someone who supports every single human right. I've gone to gay pride parades and all that. There jokes people!

omg is this the new 'I have gay friends!' Just because you got drunk at a pride parade and maybe changed your profile pic to rainbow doesn't mean you can't have homophobic or transphobic tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom