• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Numb

V4f4Q8t.gif

King has some cool combos
People love that one combo tho and do nothing else

I had a thought that perhaps there is too much pressure put on America to beat people.

Who's putting the pressure on us? It might be self-inflicted pressure, I'm not entirely sure. I mean we're a prideful bunch so it makes sense.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that maybe Americans just aren't good as a whole.

Where did this come from? Late night thinking which is the regime for me.

I think it's fine to lose to JDCR, I mean, it's OK.

Why you questioning basic competitive concepts lol. We want to win, that's it.

Part of it is the culture. We have a more casual approach (generally as westerners I think).

Casual in how serious we take the game. Whether or not we even CARE about improving. Sure there's the tiny tiny .00001% of the fanbase that is tourney-minded, but as mentioned before, that group only levels up when faced with better players, and when 99.9999% of the community is casual, who is there to challenge them?

Had this problem as a glaring example back in the TTT1/T4 days in my community. The guys would meet up on average once a week (arcade or someone's house, depending), just to goof around and play. Get drunk, eat junk food, shoot the breeze. But as soon as I mentioned "Hey, let's start going to tourneys to get better", they scattered like roaches when the lights come on. Out of about 8-9 regulars, only 2 or 3 would be interested in seriously competing to get better. They just didn't want it that bad.

Plus, many just had other life commitments. Jobs, School (the biggest one), etc. And many were only here for university. Not to mention Austin is a party town, so there's a million distractions any time of the day. As soon as they graduated, they were off somewhere else. So, we didn't even have a consistent group.

If you really love the game, and are THAT committed, you have to go where the competition is. I've heard a number of cases over the years that dedicated players would move cross country to be closer to competitive active scenes. And you could see the progress and improvement.

I guess it's a bit different in a country like S. Korea where they don't have to travel nearly as far to find such competition. Again, this is all just one piece of the puzzle, AFAIK.

Part of it is the culture. We have a more casual approach (generally as westerners I think).

Casual in how serious we take the game. Whether or not we even CARE about improving. Sure there's the tiny tiny .00001% of the fanbase that is tourney-minded, but as mentioned before, that group only levels up when faced with better players, and when 99.9999% of the community is casual, who is there to challenge them?

Had this problem as a glaring example back in the TTT1/T4 days in my community. The guys would meet up on average once a week (arcade or someone's house, depending), just to goof around and play. Get drunk, eat junk food, shoot the breeze. But as soon as I mentioned "Hey, let's start going to tourneys to get better", they scattered like roaches when the lights come on. Out of about 8-9 regulars, only 2 or 3 would be interested in seriously competing to get better. They just didn't want it that bad.

Plus, many just had other life commitments. Jobs, School (the biggest one), etc. And many were only here for university. Not to mention Austin is a party town, so there's a million distractions any time of the day. As soon as they graduated, they were off somewhere else. So, we didn't even have a consistent group.

If you really love the game, and are THAT committed, you have to go where the competition is. I've heard a number of cases over the years that dedicated players would move cross country to be closer to competitive active scenes. And you could see the progress and improvement.

I guess it's a bit different in a country like S. Korea where they don't have to travel nearly as far to find such competition. Again, this is all just one piece of the puzzle, AFAIK.

Pretty much.

sasuke_91

It's the oldest "masked" super hero trope ever ^^

He has been absent in T3 and there's a pretty big time gap between T2 and T4, so I guess you could expect people to not recognize him even if he just changed his hair color and wore sunglasses.
In T7 it's probably just the outfit because people liked it and won't be relevant for the story. At least I think so.

Side note: Guess Jin can't handle the STANK?

Good to know. Poison breath beats RA.

I finally managed to pull off a CH df+2 into PEWGF in an actual match. Granted it was Offline in a match against my brother, but still a huge accomplishment for me.
https://youtu.be/eTifArK-nLM

sasuke_91

Stop reranking Bout.

Smurfing :/

Why not play at your actual rank?

Come on, guys. It's not like he's reranking at a regular basis. Seeing how far you can get without losing or if you can reach your main account's rank again if you tried are legit reasons for reranking once in my opinion. It's the people who rerank regularly who become a problem.

Just the regular shit he threw at you that is punishable or duckable.

He starts the round with SS+3,3 and uses the move quite often (second hit is duckable)
He regularly throws LFS 3,4 at you when he's in left flamingo (second hit is duckable)
He uses RFS b+3 quite often when he's in right flamingo stance (launch punishable)
1,1,3,3 is h,h,l,h. You generally test the waters with 1,1,3 to see if your opponent blocks/low parries. He abused it when he noticed you weren't doing anything.

I'm not the best Hwoarang player, but it's stuff like that that I normally try to avoid using. He got all the way up to Vanquisher with that.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Come on, guys. It's not like he's reranking at a regular basis. Seeing how far you can get without losing or if you can reach your main account's rank again if you tried are legit reasons for reranking once in my opinion. It's the people who rerank regularly who become a problem.

I'm sure that's consoling to all the player he double perfected along the way.

I don't have anything AT ALL against Dereck, but for a lot of players, smurfing is just a pure ego stroke to beat players worse than they are, when they can't get their actual rank higher. Happens in every game where it's easy to make a new account.

I don't have anything AT ALL against Dereck, but for a lot of players, smurfing is just a pure ego stroke to beat players worse than they are, when they can't get their actual rank higher. Happens in every game where it's easy to make a new account.

b7cfeabb93924fdafecc5cc1c87f9b61.gif

sasuke_91

It doesn't have to be a new account. Happens also when you start playing new characters. Should there be just one rank for your whole account just because you would breeze your way through the lower ranks with new characters?
And no, I don't think that would be a good idea. I don't play my characters on the same level and I don't want to be forced to stay with my mains only. I'd probably create a new account for every character I play if that were the case.

Spuck-uk

Banned
It doesn't have to be a new account. Happens also when you start playing new characters. Should there be just one rank for your whole account just because you would breeze your way through the lower ranks with new characters?
And no, I don't think that would be a good idea. I don't play my characters on the same level and I don't want to be forced to stay with my mains only. I'd probably create a new account for every character I play if that were the case.

Honestly, in Tekken, where so much of the skill is system knowledge and transferable skills, yes.

Nobody is forcing you to make a new account, you just don't want to take losses while learning new characters, and that's on you and your ego.

sasuke_91

Honestly, in Tekken, where so much of the skill is system knowledge and transferable skills, yes.

Nobody is forcing you to make a new account, you just don't want to take losses while learning new characters, and that's on you and your ego.

If I want to see how far I can get with my new characters? I have to.
If I want to play with people on my level? I have to.
My Jin or Kazuya are nowhere near the level of my Steve, Hwoarang or even Ling. I don't think I should play them on the same rank as the others.

People give too many damns about the ranking system in general. It's been more than 4 years since TTT2 releases and people are complaining about 1 guy in this thread creating an alt-account in a "you're part of the problem!" fashion.

Spuck-uk

Banned
You're aware there's a new game coming out in June, right?

This is the best time to point out it's an ongoing problem.

If you want to see how 'far you can get' with your new characters, play them on your main account, you'll drop ranks at first and then pick bakc up, and yknow what? You'll learn better and faster than you would beating up blue ranks.

sasuke_91

You're aware there's a new game coming out in June, right?

This is the best time to point out it's an ongoing problem.

Well... we will breeze through the lower ranks in T7 and double perfect some poor souls on our way there.
My point is that the problem has become so bad BECAUSE the game is so old and it won't be like that in T7. At least for the first year or the first 2 years.
I started playing TTT2 a year after it came out and didn't notice that "problem" at all. I was stuck in the light blue ranks though, so that could be the reason. As soon as I hit higher greens/yellows half a year/a year later though? Every second match was a smurf.

I still think people shouldn't be called out for reranking once.

If you want to see how 'far you can get' with your new characters, play them on your main account, you'll drop ranks at first and then pick bakc up, and yknow what? You'll learn better and faster than you would beating up blue ranks.

I get where you're coming from, but I disagree. That's a different topic though.

Dereck

He starts the round with SS+3,3 and uses the move quite often (second hit is duckable)
He regularly throws LFS 3,4 at you when he's in left flamingo (second hit is duckable)
He uses RFS b+3 quite often when he's in right flamingo stance (launch punishable)
1,1,3,3 is h,h,l,h. You generally test the waters with 1,1,3 to see if your opponent blocks/low parries. He abused it when he noticed you weren't doing anything.

I'm not the best Hwoarang player, but it's stuff like that that I normally try to avoid using. He got all the way up to Vanquisher with that.
It's harder to dicipher all of this just through text, I'll have a look at it later on in Practice mode.

GrayFoxPL

If I want to see how far I can get with my new characters? I have to.
If I want to play with people on my level? I have to.
My Jin or Kazuya are nowhere near the level of my Steve, Hwoarang or even Ling. I don't think I should play them on the same rank as the others.

People give too many damns about the ranking system in general. It's been more than 4 years since TTT2 releases and people are complaining about 1 guy in this thread creating an alt-account in a "you're part of the problem!" fashion.

You start ranking fresh with different characters and that's fair. Bryan and Bob are not new characters for Bout. How all those noobs he steam rolled multiple times feel? There's no good reason for reranking and it ruins the fun for noobs who want to fight players on their level. It's like a kickboxing pro would go to highschool competition and beat all the kids to prove something.

Numb

Found a cheap PC version on CDkeys
Got it
Probably still would get PS4 version too
Says preorder on CDkeys. Was expecting to get the Steam code right away

Should there be just one rank for your whole account just because you would breeze your way through the lower ranks with new characters?

Yes. That's how a lot of other fighting games do it, and i think it's a better system overall.

You can still use player matches to train your subs if you don't yet feel confident with them. Being forced to beat up new/obviously worse players just because you're not using your current main is a stupid system.

I've thought that Tekken should adopt a sliding scale for ranks. Something like, if you reach yellow ranks, your entire roster's minimum rank jumps from Beginner to 1st dan, orange to light blues, red to greens, etc. If you have the skills to get to red ranks, surely by now you have enough basic Tekken fundamentals to start your "new" rankings at green ranks. This would help alleviate the lower level struggles.

Wouldn't stop smurf accounts, but not much you can do about that without changing things on a system/account level.

sasuke_91

You start ranking fresh with different characters and that's fair. Bryan and Bob are not new characters for Bout. How all those noobs he steam rolled multiple times feel? There's no good reason for reranking and it ruins the fun for noobs who want to fight players on their level. It's like a kickboxing pro would go to highschool competition and beat all the kids to prove something.

Yes. That's how a lot of other fighting games do it, and i think it's a better system overall.

You can still use player matches to train your subs if you don't yet feel confident with them. Being forced to beat up new/obviously worse players just because you're not using your current main is a stupid system.

I know where you guys are coming from and I also somewhat agree with Spuck and some of the earlier arguments. The thing is, I can also see the appeal of hitting that reset button and starting fresh at Beginner. It's not about boosting your ego or feeling good about steamrolling noobs. It's to see if the jump in ranks you perceived as extremely hard and stressing is still the same for you.
I thought about reranking every now and then. I haven't done it though.

I've thought that Tekken should adopt a sliding scale for ranks. Something like, if you reach yellow ranks, your entire roster's minimum rank jumps from Beginner to 1st dan, orange to light blues, red to greens, etc. If you have the skills to get to red ranks, surely by now you have enough basic Tekken fundamentals to start your "new" rankings at green ranks. This would help alleviate the lower level struggles.

Wouldn't stop smurf accounts, but not much you can do about that without changing things on a system/account level.

That's a pretty clever system. I can get behind that.

Found a cheap PC version on CDkeys
Got it
Probably still would get PS4 version too
Says preorder on CDkeys. Was expecting to get the Steam code right away

Not "probably". It's "definitely". Unless you want to escape your inevitable beatdown by me :)

GrayFoxPL

I know where you guys are coming from and I also somewhat agree with Spuck and some of the earlier arguments. The thing is, I can also see the appeal of hitting that reset button and starting fresh at Beginner. It's not about boosting your ego or feeling good about steamrolling noobs. It's to see if the jump in ranks you perceived as extremely hard and stressing is still the same for you.
I thought about reranking every now and then. I haven't done it though.

Oh it's tempting. doesn't mean it's right by any means. You will still cheat those players that honestly would think you're on their level when you're not. You wanna know if you're better now then when you started at 1 kyu and learnt by losing? I can answer you that: you are and yes you'd get huge win streak, and yes, you won't stress out until you hit your real rank and end up in the same place you earned honestly. Let's not kid ourselves it's all about ego boosting.

Most of us learned how to seriously play Tekken at Tag2. When I played my first 10.000 matches, online wasn't filled with rerankers like it is now. Shame because those noobs that play today deserve the chance we had, to play people on the same level, same boat, not to struggle against trolling rerankers. If they walk away from Tekken, I wouldn't blame them.

AllenShrz

T7 FR has something like that.

Ive seen green ranks with only 2 to 9 wins.

Playing SFV made me realize that general ranking is wack.

Top Bottom