• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution |OT| You can now really #BUFFLARS

kick51

Banned
Downloaded for the novelty factor. Seems pretty cool for what it is, although there's really no reason to touch it if you have Tag 2.

Different mechanics. No bound, for starters.

TTT2 is obviously better right now, but I can appreciate the tension in T:R matches. Feels like running out of quarters!

Same, nothing to help casuals at all. You want a F2P FG? Pick up DOA

but then I'd have to play DOA

Oh hey, fighting game wars again. this was fun last time. Keep pimping your favorite fighters guys.

Honestly, one of the reasons I think I'll keep playing this is the lack of bound. I don't even actually dislike bound that much, it just feels good to play a Tekken game without it again. It's probably just nostalgia taking over though. Still, it obviously is not a replacement for TT2, but it's a decent enough distraction.

.la1n

I am enjoying it and I like the new character models, the outline looks nice imo. Only thing I would have done differently is at least allowed offline arcade mode play, and allow playing it as much as you want. It's honestly not the greatest F2P model and not one I see turning profit for them, maybe next time.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
It's alright. But, the limited play is awful and you're better off playing Tag 2. Lili's new face is great though <3

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also this is probably a Tekken x Street Street Fighter beta. So the additions of "supers" and whatever the hell vigor is supposed to be is cool.

If that's the case Namco's return game for that cross-over is going to be pretty bad. It seems like no thought went into the combat for the supers here. At least Street vs had some thought put into it and it showed in regards to Tekken's characters transitioning to 2D combat pretty nicely (and they even translated the limb system with L/M P/K being left/right limbs!).

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Blame PSN, not TR. I think it's cause of PSHome offering a free month of PS+ lol

It can't be PSN. Home stutters all the time no matter the E3 rush or not. I'm still connected to PSN and Namco constantly disconnects me. It's gotta be on Namco's end.

Blame PSN, not TR. I think it's cause of PSHome offering a free month of PS+ lol

Wait, what? They're giving away a month of PS+ on home? Why?

On topic, a lot of people online are falling for really dumb things. I can't tell you how many matches I've won just running up to my opponent and doing the invincible attack. I guess they start panicking or something cuz they always try to throw out a move which obviously doesn't hit. I've still run into plenty of decent players though, I'm just shocked how many people are falling for such a dumb tactic.

SirCrush

Hmm...I enjoyed the F2P model they introduced.

...and it's not pay to win. I'd call it play to win...as in the more you play (and win) the more you get to play and the better your stats can get. Not sure how this will play out in the long run; I haven't tested it enough to see just how important the stat upgrades are. But so far I think it's a great F2P approach. Clearly I am in the minority.

It can't be PSN. Home stutters all the time no matter the E3 rush or not. I'm still connected to PSN and Namco constantly disconnects me. It's gotta be on Namco's end.

People playing Mass Effect 3 on my friends list have been saying they've been having issues too, so I don't think it's isolated to Namco.

DEATH™;62841686 said:
Jun's gonna suck in this game, same with Nina, Anna, Xiaoharu and to some extent, Julia and Michelle... Invincible moves will kill aggressive and setup style chars...

Not to mention, Okizeme is dead, Jim.

Hitting people while moving on the ground no longer floats them (roll back, forward etc). Its all as if you hit them on the side laying down - pushed back.

This isn't game breaking but will definately change how some chars play.

AAK

You can't win tickets by winning a player match right? Probably a really stupid question I know.

Yes you can.

The okizeme change absolutely murders a big portion of characters like Steve and Julia who rely on SO many setups to float their opponent. And without bound or TA, I have no clue how it's even possible to land Julia's burning hammer except for getting lucky and catching a hopkick.

DEATH™

Yes you can.

The okizeme change absolutely murders a big portion of characters like Steve and Julia who rely on SO many setups to float their opponent. And without bound or TA, I have no clue how it's even possible to land Julia's burning hammer except for getting lucky and catching a hopkick.

Which is pretty stupid competitively speaking... even if they rework the characters, the game itself turns into a shell of itself if this becomes the game's future... They took away the things that made Tekken challenging and fun.

P.S. you can try doing jab iSW like kings but its pretty worthless for julia/michelle...

Not to mention, Okizeme is dead, Jim.

Hitting people while moving on the ground no longer floats them (roll back, forward etc). Its all as if you hit them on the side laying down - pushed back.

This isn't game breaking but will definately change how some chars play.

It's GAMEBREAKING in a way that people can backroll without worrying about getting hurt, which makes oki a non factor in the game. See how braindead that would be?

This game is designed for casuals and tekken veterans who flawedly think T3/DR was the best game ever...

DEATH™;62855296 said:
Which is pretty stupid competitively speaking... even if they rework the characters, the game itself turns into a shell of itself if this becomes the game's future... They took away the things that made Tekken challenging and fun.

P.S. you can try doing jab iSW like kings but its pretty worthless for julia/michelle...

It's GAMEBREAKING in a way that people can backroll without worrying about getting hurt, which makes oki a non factor in the game. See how braindead that would be?

This game is designed for casuals and tekken veterans who flawedly think T3/DR was the best game ever...

Which is fine with me. We didn't need a......... TTT2-2? lol

Now people have a choice. Which is great IMO.

For free, I can't really complain. The game feels good and for some reason, I don't really mind the lack of bound. It's nto going to replace TTT2 for a lot of people, but it is still fun. Not sure how I feel about invincible moves yet since I never really particularly cared for them in TTT2 since it seems like the Williams sisters do not have any and my moves sometimes gets crushed. Ok, do you have to wait an hour for more tickets to unlock so continue playing if you do not want to buy coins? Online is one thing, but even arcade mode is locked unless I pay? Not sure if that is a good idea since it limits playtime. Oh well, I'm still having fun with it and trying to learn some new characters since my mains are nowhere to be found.

Lumine

Gave it a quick try and blasted through arcade mode. It's pretty much what I expected when they announced the game and I don't like it. Some quick impressions:

- Invincible/super moves do not belong in Tekken
- RPG stats and filling bars to make your character stronger belongs even less in Tekken
- Only 8 characters to choose from, none of them my mains and I couldn't tell how to unlock more
- I fought Heihachi and True Ogre, so I guess they are in there
- Game looks suprisingly pretty. It's pretty much TTT2 and all of its assets, but it looks slightly cleaner and thus sharper. Something TTT2 (and T6) defenitly needed.
- Soundtrack doesn't sound good, but haven't heard much
- Coin model does not seem to be the best F2P model they could've gone with. I would think you would want to promote/support people playing, not demotivate them
- No fucking local multiplayer/versus? Seriously? That's where Tekken shines!
- Hopefully this is just a test to see what they'll do with the next Tekken. So hopefully this test fails. :p
- I'll be sticking with TTT2 for now, which is actually great.
- Anyone who is still on the fence about TTT2: give this game a try. See it as a stripped down demo and if you like it, pick up TTT2 to play the real thing. You can find it for less than 20 probably these days so the value is insane compared to this coin crap business.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
the loading of initializing, downloading data, connecting turned me off

It's always on that's why. :/

I gotta get 1million gold and 10,000 gift points and then login 10 days then I have all the trophies. So uh... thanks for that Namco?

SkylineRKR

Graphics are quite good, music is utter shit. Its very bare bones ofcourse, but I miss a practice mode the most. Not having this plus the winner stays loser pays model makes this only for hardcore tbh.

I like that bound is gone, but some movement and special effects looks and feels awkward. I played a batch of online games and the netcode was really amazing here. But whats with those retarded invincibility strikes that push through combos?

All in all I hope the next Tekken is not going into this direction. I do like the easier movement and the loss of bound, but all the rest of the changes I don't like at all.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I downloaded this yesterday, and since Asuka has been my main since 5, I'll give it a shot.

F2P Tekken, F2P Dead or Alive, I can get behind that!

SirCrush

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but Heihachi IS a playable character. May wanna add him to the original post.

Do you get tickets for winning Arcade matches offline?

I don't think so, but I'm actually not 100% sure. It says if you use a ticket to play arcade mode you get special prizes but I don't know what those prizes are. It could be a extra ticket I guess. You do get a free ticket the first time you complete it by using a coin though.

rvy

Banned
I dig the OST. Not sure I dig the gameplay, I've been on a T6/TTT2 binge for a while. Then again it's free so I have no business complaining on a good game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Played a few online matches. Its pretty fun. No bounce system I take it and the moves have that brush effect like SFIV.

You can get Arcade coins (2 max) to play Arcade Battle. Replenish every 60 min. Haven't tried arcade mode yet.

Battle coins, premium tickets and coins. So far so good. Its free Tekken.

The almost cell shaded feel makes me think this TvsSF ideas. Tag 2 is great, but I like the T3 feel. Too bad they couldn't get Jin back to his Mishima style.

No bounce, combos are regular Tag/T3 combos, and you get Kazuya to play as. Satisfied my Tekken mood for now. The EWGF looks kind of like a big whoosh.

I just unlocked a new character: Bryan Fury. That's a good character. At least it wasn't someone I don't use anymore like Eddy or something. :)

My latest awarded item: 5 Victories Bonus Premium Tickets Received: 1 I don't know what all these things do.

Edit: Jeez after a while I need more tickets? I got one premium ticket for winning 5 matches. So I can play more I guess. Save it for a rainy day.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Haven't played a Tekken game since Tekken Tag. Felt like Tekken.

Having you accept TOS was weird. Was I just being dumb or was there a quick way to scroll through it and accept? lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Haven't played a Tekken game since Tekken Tag. Felt like Tekken.

Having you accept TOS was weird. Was I just being dumb or was there a quick way to scroll through it and accept? lol

I noticed that too. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom and accept it (read all the way).

Top Bottom