• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution |OT| You can now really #BUFFLARS

Everyone is Law online! Something seems a bit jagged about the fight animations compared to TTT2, especially for the KO moves. Is it me or do the graphics seem a bit more orange than usual? It plays more like a demo than a full game with the amount of limitations. Maybe they could have charged 5-10€ for a local multiplayer add-on or something, instead of pay to play now.

Haven't played a Tekken game since Tekken Tag. Felt like Tekken.

Having you accept TOS was weird. Was I just being dumb or was there a quick way to scroll through it and accept? lol

If you mash X it will jump through it quickly.

Everyone is Law online! Something seems a bit jagged about the fight animations compared to TTT2, especially for the KO moves. Is it me or do the graphics seem a bit more orange than usual?

The levels are all TTT2 stages that have an extra orange or blue filter across them. I find it hideous and overdone on most levels. Seems like they purposely cheapened the look of the game to retain the value and quality of TTT2. The music also reflects this IMO.

It plays more like a demo than a full game with the amount of limitations. Maybe they could have charged 5-10€ for a local multiplayer add-on or something, instead of pay to play now.

Namco has stated they will continue to provide content for the game, so maybe extra modes will be coming.

Pachimari

Wait, I came to think of something - can't people download Tekken 5: Dark Ressurrection anymore?

I remember downloading it for free closer to launch and then adding on the online component.

Wait, I came to think of something - can't people download Tekken 5: Dark Ressurrection anymore?

I remember downloading it for free closer to launch and then adding on the online component.

I think I still saw it on the store, but what does that have to do with anything?

kick51

Banned
Namco has stated they will continue to provide content for the game, so maybe extra modes will be coming.

Harada made it sound like they were gonna support it for the long haul.

It's pretty fun if you don't take it that seriously...which so many people in this thread are lol

It's just that then people could download that if they don't like the free-to-play model - options.

I have just completed Arcade once and really like what I'm seeing so far.

Why would they buy DR instead of just picking up TTT2 or T6 though? You can find both for pretty cheap now.

Doomshine

Pachimari

Why would they buy DR instead of just picking up TTT2 or T6 though? You can find both for pretty cheap now.
The point is, if people would like a free Tekken game but don't like the freemium model, they could try out T5DR which is also great.

Of course I have had both T6 and TTT2 and love them. And I really like what I have tried of Revolution so far.

Gave a try earlier, can't say I'm impressed at all.

Content wise it's just basically Tag 2 stripped down to the absolute barebones, not even a training mode to find out how to play any characters before you have to start wasting your limited coin supply. No customisation, no music options for stages, no selecting stages, no alternate outfits and it doesn't even seem like all the Tag 2 stages are present.

The method for unlocking characters is atrocious and the game doesn't even specifically tell you, aside from mentioning that you need Gift Points. From reading around it seems you unlock random new characters at set amounts of gift points, but those numbers are pretty damn high considering how few you get from the Arcade Battle and losses. It means if you don't like the starters and get unlucky with your unlocks, you could end up having to grind for ages with characters you don't like for a random chance of getting someone you want. Thank god luck was on my side and I got Alisa as the first unlock.

Can't even really understand who this product as aimed at either. The ticket system rewarding winners feels like they are aiming for the hardcore Tekken fans, but they are just going to stick to Tag 2 - whereas the newcomers are just going to end up frustrated that they can only play a few matches before being told to pay up.

The point is, if people would like a free Tekken game but don't like the freemium model, they could try out T5DR which is also great.

Of course I have had both T6 and TTT2 and love them. And I really like what I have tried of Revolution so far.

DR isn't free, it's still like $20 on the store last I saw it. Where/when did you see it for free?

I've been getting my ass kicked on Tekken ever since 5 :( I should practice more but I don't wanna, but I wanna be great at it, but yeah...

Not impressed by this release. Will play for the 100% on trophies and then delete it... Lili looks better than in TTT2 though?

NeonZ

I couldn't get a single online game going for some reason. I never had problems getting battles in Soulcalibur V, or even IV, but I had similar problems with Tekken 6's online mode.

Fraeon

DR isn't free, it's still like $20 on the store last I saw it. Where/when did you see it for free?

Not to mention the online in T5DR is ass. Just get Tag 2 if you want the real Tekken experience without bullshit distractions and limitations.

I do like the more simplified combo system but that's about it really.

Lili and Asuka have new faces.

Lili and Asuka now have identical faces sans the fact that Lili has makeup.

Pachimari

I think it were around the launch of PS3 that it were free? But I think the online add-on had a fee and then they might have bundled it into a single download for $20 as you say.

Also about faces, I like the ones in Revolution more.

Anyway, I'm (all of us probably are) on the bandwagon that anyone who wants a serious Tekken experience with lots of content should get TTT2.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really haven't liked a lot of their music since Tag. I think the theme for Revolution proved that that can change. I like its simple tone. Nice change for once.

Manbig

This game has really grown on me as a fun and dumb distraction. I hope they continue to add crazy and absurd mechanics to test in the future.

So uh....
There's a lot of Communication Errors when trying to play online, my connection seems fine. Is it Namco or PSN?
Honestly, I really like this. Lars 4 ever

I'm having more fun with this than I thought I would. The fact that my favourite characters aren't available is forcing me to experiment with new characters.
It feels a little simpler than TTT2 and not as juggle heavy (though this might just be because I've not faced anyone that good yet), which suits me.

So uh....
There's a lot of Communication Errors when trying to play online, my connection seems fine. Is it Namco or PSN?
Honestly, I really like this. Lars 4 ever

The connection errors are definitely on Namco, this is the only game that has been giving me trouble. Hopefully they get it sorted out because this game is a lot of fun IMO. Even if it is by no means a replacement for TT2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is a Tekken thread! You sir are in violation of video game code 14m3 section 455-F4HQ. Mentioning a shitty game in the thread of an awesome game.

Punishment?! DOA!

HERP DERP.

Meanwhile: What is the best way of getting gift points and gold? Playing online? Arcade? Because I don't see a big increase (even with the 2x right now) for either of them.

Doomshine

Aris is killing it on stream right now. This game is way too entertaining for no reason.

Aris has the right attitude for the game (there's a sentence I thought I would never say).

Just chill out and have fun, you can't take the game too seriously.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
As the first f2p fighting game out of the gate, this probably soured me on the idea forever. It feels like a stripped down fan hack of TTT2. They also sucked all the color out of the stages (I hope you like orange and teal).

GrayFoxPL

Paul has shitiest invincible in the game. I got hit out of it, thrown out in the middle of animation, everything, you name it. And it has no range.

Manbig

Paul has shitiest invincible in the game. I got hit out of it, thrown out in the middle of animation, everything, you name it. And it has no range.

It seems like it has a smaller window of invincibility. My guess is that happens because it's still a i12f move.

HERP DERP.

Meanwhile: What is the best way of getting gift points and gold? Playing online? Arcade? Because I don't see a big increase (even with the 2x right now) for either of them.

ONline give more money and more gift point unless and events is active ( none at the moment )

So i've played for 3 hours today .
It's not bad.. in fact it's a cool package considering that it's free .
If you're intrested in tekken but never have the time to try it's quite fine.
My online problem with the game is the lack of training mode i do enjoy the fact that you're playing against a bot while you're waiting for your opponent in "ranked"

For me it's a solid B+ ... Sure tekken tag has more content but even in a stripped version there is still plenty of thing to do and try ...and for some reason it's hard to let go if you still have some coins left.

NJShadow

Wow, this is really well done, I'm lovin' it! The music is great, the gameplay is solid, and the "replenishing of coins" adds that addictive "Candy Crush" element to the game.

Just beat arcade twice with Law, and played two online matched (one win, one draw). Very fun! (Did NOT expect this out of a free-to-play game).

Bleep

Invincible moves in tekken.

This game fucking sucks so bad.

Exactly how I feel. Even if you ignore the free to play trash, it is not good. I messed around with it for a little while and am probably going to delete it, I don't like this at all. I love Tekken, but there is no way I can support this.

HeelPower

Guys I think the OP needs to be updated.I just started today and played lars right from start.Also I don't which know moves are invincible ,but this game is way more fun than TTT2 for me.No bounds are welcome and no backroll catches are a nice changeAnd NO TAG mechanics (EUREKA!).Also this ticket , coin system makes for some really tight gameplay.You just get an urge to do well or you will lose your money.I think "virtual arcade" could be an amazing idea in the future.

What I don't understand though is which moves are invincible ? And I seem to able to counter them sometimes ?(implying invincibility requires some timing?)

Idk I amnot sure.

Manbig

oh thanks..So asuka's f+2 is NOT an invincible move (thank god) what does lars' db+4 glow indicate ?

It's still a crit move. It just has that extra effect because kazuya and Lars have premium move effects right now. That's why Kaz EWGF and d/f+2 look as crazy as they do.

Everyone has one invincible move. You can see the notation for them on the character selection screen. First move listed.

Should i even bother downloading this if i own Tekken Tag 2?

It's worth checking out. How much you actually play it is up to you though. It's not a replacement to TTT2 at all.

Loakum

Banned
glad I clicked on this thread. I downloaded it, but I haven't had time to play it. looks like I'll be deleting this imediately

Top Bottom