• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, that tutorial was pretty bad. Like one of the worst fighting game tutorials I've played. Throwing you to the wolves with a time limit while throwing crap at you with a bare minimum of knowing what you're doing. Nice. :/

Then tried to play online against a "beginner" that wasn't really a beginner and styled all over me despite their profile saying they only played 7 matches online so far. Three times.

Gave up on that, went to see the World Federation Site to see if it was as detailed as OP makes it out to be. Wanted a Namco ID, NOPE'd that. Did a search on my ID and while it shows it on the site it isn't detailed. Guess it's more detailed for Namco ID people, but screw registering another account just to see detailed stats.

I'm not too terribly impressed with this. :/

TheWriter

Wow, that tutorial was pretty bad. Like one of the worst fighting game tutorials I've played. Throwing you to the wolves with a time limit while throwing crap at you with a bare minimum of knowing what you're doing. Nice. :/

I don't know which tutorial you mean. The Combot scenario? Because in that you can learn any basics you should learn for this game and it even starts very slow. If you didn't mean that, try it. It's fun, you can assign some of the moves you think look cool to the Combot and then learn step by step basic maneuvering. Also, the last Combot level is absolutely beautiful and so so dumb.

And people online are surprisingly good. Some go online with their alternative accounts just to rank up again which of course goes very fast if you can Tag Assault like a pro from Beginner level onwards. I wouldn't recommend going near online until you know some launchers, one juggle at least and quick pokes with one character.

WTF Tekken is not that bad, but not too useful either, unless you join a team that already exists because getting your own team up in levels is so slow, solo. You're not missing too much.

Manbig

Then tried to play online against a "beginner" that wasn't really a beginner and styled all over me despite their profile saying they only played 7 matches online so far. Three times.

Gave up on that, went to see the World Federation Site to see if it was as detailed as OP makes it out to be. Wanted a Namco ID, NOPE'd that. Did a search on my ID and while it shows it on the site it isn't detailed. Guess it's more detailed for Namco ID people, but screw registering another account just to see detailed stats.

If you click on a specific match on the bottom, that's where the more detailed breakdown of the matches are.

TheSeks

I don't know which tutorial you mean. The Combot scenario? Because in that you can learn any basics you should learn for this game and it even starts very slow. If you didn't mean that, try it. It's fun, you can assign some of the moves you think look cool to the Combot and then learn step by step basic maneuvering. Also, the last Combot level is absolutely beautiful and so so dumb.

I mean exactly that.

"MOVE THROUGH THIS MINEFIELD TO SHOW US YOU KNOW HOW TO MOVE YOUR CHARACTER!"

"Okay, I can do th--"

"WHILE WE THROW SHIT AT YOU AND HAVEN'T TAUGHT YOU HOW TO BLOCK IT!"

---

"NOW JUGGLE LAUNCH->BOUND->TAG ASSAULT!"

"Okay, I can probably do that, a little too advanced to be taking in all at once, bu--"

"WHILE WE TIME YOU! GET MOVING BITCH!"

Manbig said:
If you click on a specific match on the bottom, that's where the more detailed breakdown of the matches are.

That match breakdown isn't anything more than "this dude styled all over you because he used an alt account to lure newbies in to stomp and did 200+ more damage than you and you only got maybe 3 low-blows in and then got stomped while they moved around like a jet engine."

5eUCpEX.png

Seriously, how is that "detailed" enough to help new players besides "oh, he did more damage and did more tag assaults than you?" Maybe I expected input breakdowns, move damage properties, etc. from the site and that isn't what it is supposed to be. That's fine, but "detailed" stats isn't really too detailed.

Doomshine said:
Just say Juggleken and be done with it...

Juggleken time!

(Honestly, it seems Soul Calibur of either Namco titles seems more approachable than Juggle Tag or even Juggle Solo)

TheWriter

TheSeks, yes, TTT2 is a bit hard to get into, I know that feeling. It's also not fun to be juggled for half a life bar for 10 seconds, but if you're the one pulling it off, it's very rewarding. We can also do some sparring in 1vs1 matches if you're in Europe. I'm only good with Alisa and each time I'm tagging to another character my quality takes a nosedive, but I'm learning slowly.

So if you're only decent with one character we can do a few solo matches. Also, don't go to Ranked. There you will only suffer. I do as well.

Sayah

Which characters are you looking to use?

This may seem complicated at first. But keep playing. Don't drop this game because it will be worth it once you learn how to play properly.

TheSeks

Which characters are you looking to use?

I've just been button mashing playing Hwoarang and like whatever other character I feel like facerolling with offline these past few days since playing online is obviously a fools errand. Dunno why I redeemed the online pass outside of a curiosity to see if it was used since I got the game used. Besides, player matches are all 1 bar connections for me anytime I attempt to custom match and World Tournament mode or whatever the world mode is is dead. And I refuse to play ranked in any fighter, ever.

LowParry

I've just been button mashing playing Hwoarang and like whatever other character I feel like facerolling with offline these past few days since playing online is obviously a fools errand. Dunno why I redeemed the online pass outside of a curiosity to see if it was used since I got the game used. Besides, player matches are all 1 bar connections for me anytime I attempt to custom match and World Tournament mode or whatever the world mode is is dead. And I refuse to play ranked in any fighter, ever.

Player mode is all you need since it provides a connection filter. If you want to try some start characters, I'd start with Paul/Asuka/Lili/Law to get a good general feel of the game. Hell, Jinpachi works pretty well with beginners however I think his movement is a little different than other characters. But play who you think fits your style and just play play play play. :D

TheSeks

I didn't see a custom filter for connections in the player match filters. Just voice-chat off, same area (none found), all (1 bars with a rare unicorn connection of 4 which is said tournament player playing an alt).

Same with P4U and other fighters: Anything online is 1 bar city to where I basically just give up on playing them.

GrayFoxPL

I didn't see a custom filter for connections in the player match filters. Just voice-chat off, same area (none found), all (1 bars with a rare unicorn connection of 4 which is said tournament player playing an alt).

Same with P4U and other fighters: Anything online is 1 bar city to where I basically just give up on playing them.

Quick player and ranked match filters connections.

Set up your ps connection settings properly to avoid 1 bars. Maybe you're on NAT 3.

I avoid world arena, nothing connects right there for me. On quick player or ranked I wait 10 seconds for each fight.

TheSeks

Can't be my NAT. I went from -3 to -2 and GT5's stupid code-filter join-room thing works when it didn't on 3. So it can't be that...

GrayFoxPL

Can't be my NAT. I went from -3 to -2 and GT5's stupid code-filter join-room thing works when it didn't on 3. So it can't be that...

If you put in static ip, sub mask, gateway and both DNS the thing that can change network behavior is MTU, changing to 1492 lets you connect to most games. For me SCV online didn't work without mtu on 1492.

Soodanim

I was playing online with a friend and I realised I only really play the Mishima family. Kazuya, Angel, Jinpachi, and the occasional Heihachi or Lars (forgotten most his moves though). I want to learn some new people, but there are so many to choose from so I would like some suggestions if you would be so kind, TekkenGAF. I'm already leaning towards Kunimitsu after picking her randomly and liking whatever I pulled off.

GrayFoxPL

I was playing online with a friend and I realised I only really play the Mishima family. Kazuya, Angel, Jinpachi, and the occasional Heihachi or Lars (forgotten most his moves though). I want to learn some new people, but there are so many to choose from so I would like some suggestions if you would be so kind, TekkenGAF. I'm already leaning towards Kunimitsu after picking her randomly and liking whatever I pulled off.

Depends on what type of characters you like. Also building a good team can be pretty erm "not obvious", often putting 2 characters you like the most doesn't give the best effect.

Doomshine

Seriously, how is that "detailed" enough to help new players besides "oh, he did more damage and did more tag assaults than you?" Maybe I expected input breakdowns, move damage properties, etc. from the site and that isn't what it is supposed to be. That's fine, but "detailed" stats isn't really too detailed.

You can get that in the replays in game. A number (forget how many) of your latest matches are automatically recorded.

how the online on this game? i'm thinking of buying today for 20$ :)

Definitely worth $20. That's a steal. Overall, the online is good and admirably populated, especially considering how the game is somewhat old now. Lately, I have been having some connectivity issues, but generally the online runs very smooth. If you are a beginner, I would not recommend challenging online players until you properly learn some the basic fundamentals of the gameplay such as learning a few combos, basic tag assaults, blocking of course, learning several signature moves with your main characters and how to poke. If you stick with the game, it can be extremely rewarding and it can be addictive because it is filled with depth. You will need A LOT of patience though because there are so many near professional players online that can intimidate even good players. Start off with player matches. Once in a while you can run into a few average players. Ranked can be merciless though.

TheWriter

Man, I really need a secondary character who I can fight with. Angel disappoints me so. Also, her wings are becoming an eye sore, I can't even concentrate when playing as her. Feathers everywhere :(
Half of her launchers involve the EWGF too, and it's so hard to do in a frantic match.
Currently doing solo matches as Alisa, but I feel like I'm missing out on half the game. The other characters don't play as fun.
Xiaoyu is nice, but she is sooo hard. Honestly, like ungodly hard. I can't create a flow at all. I like her moves, but none of them work together with my play style.
I could try Lili, but she hates Alisa which is a disadvantage as well.
Maybe Lee? He goes well with her.
I think I'll try Dragunov for a bit. I wish there was a Robot-Dragunov.

DEATH™

Man, I really need a secondary character who I can fight with. Angel disappoints me so. Also, her wings are becoming an eye sore, I can't even concentrate when playing as her. Feathers everywhere :(
Half of her launchers involve the EWGF too, and it's so hard to do in a frantic match.
Currently doing solo matches as Alisa, but I feel like I'm missing out on half the game. The other characters don't play as fun.
Xiaoyu is nice, but she is sooo hard. Honestly, like ungodly hard. I can't create a flow at all. I like her moves, but none of them work together with my play style.

Trust me if I say STICK TO XIAOYU. AOP is annoyingly hard to hit. and Cali Roll is insanely good. Even for starters, use SS 4 (or SS 3 I think... that tracking low from SS...)

And netsu is good too...

EDIT SAYAH IM WATCHING YOU... BOP THOSE PEOPLE

LowParry

DEATH™;71833146 said:
Trust me if I say STICK TO XIAOYU. AOP is annoyingly hard to hit. and Cali Roll is insanely good. Even for starters, use SS 4 (or SS 3 I think... that tracking low from SS...)

And netsu is good too...

Don't forget her amazing tricks of cancels ;) SS+3 b,b or f, f, 2, 1, b,b (I don't even know if I even have that notation right. lol). And uf+3 is a great launcher. Xiaoyu just takes a lot of getting used to. You'll learn that her poke game can be quite fun to use and annoy other players to doing moves that are easily punishable. Then you can switch to Miharu, deck her out in schoolgirl fashion with her trusty sidekick bag, and take snap shots of your enemy foes with smiles and smiles! (Best throw in the game :D )

I wouldn't let Netsu love/hate influence your decision all that much. It is extremely minor.

Pachimari

Wait, a Facebook fan page writes, that Tekken 20th Anniversary is a game, is there anything to it? I'm more of the impression that it were just a basic logo to remind us, that it's soon the franchise's anniversary.

Sayah

DEATH™;71833146 said:

And netsu is good too...

I have to apologize and I feel very shitty because I wasn't there. Something came up for me that I didn't expect. Sounds like an excuse but I really couldn't be there. :(

I was a sub, though. I hope they didn't need me and I hope my non-presence didn't mess up the schedule.

TheSeks

If you put in static ip, sub mask, gateway and both DNS the thing that can change network behavior is MTU, changing to 1492 lets you connect to most games. For me SCV online didn't work without mtu on 1492.

That seemed to have some 1 bars turn 4 bars. But I can't be assed to join any of the online games right now. Don't want another repeat of faceroll: the musical.

DEATH™

I have to apologize and I feel very shitty because I wasn't there. Something came up for me that I didn't expect. Sounds like an excuse but I really couldn't be there. :(

I was a sub, though. I hope they didn't need me and I hope my non-presence didn't mess up the schedule.

They called you one time. I was trying to rep you there :(

P.S. just had a "why am I playing this game?" moment. Punishes not on point, movement not crisp, and stupid bad habits came back. Got demoted back to Grand Master, and might get demoted again... DO NOT PLAY AFTER A TIRING DAY AT WORK.

Ugh, I gave the SCA challenge another try, and ... nope. I appreciate the effort, but it's the most un-hype, un-exciting Tekken I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure what it needs to spice it up, but at this moment, it's like watching something on the Public Access channel, or some locally made used car commercial with some idiot with no teeth and a fist full of cash.

Then again, it may be the format. Online tourneys just aren't made for hype. Oh well.

BTW someone should tell Tunk to close the stream when he changes content. It goes from snorefest tekken into some SC or LoL mess without missing a beat. Ewww.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSXvATLmSU

Ha ha! I am terrible at this game. Had this game for a while. Just decided today I wanna get better at it. Need to work on my neutral game and combos. Just played online for a bit went like 1-9. I also need to get more a custom to the game mechanics. I kinda had fun getting bodied. Although I would like to give people more of a challenge. My memory becomes hazy in what I really wanna do, and I become a bit random. Gonna try to become more solid. My current team is Jun/Tiger. My two favorite characters. My name on WTF is Eternal_Flame_LW If anyone wants to see my terrible record lol.

Anyway who knows how long my interest will last, I'm pretty lazy.

Edit: Oh damn! Bodied by solo mokujin. Yeah I needs lots more practice.

Edit2: WTF doesn't update as fast as I thought it would.

GrayFoxPL

Ha ha! I am terrible at this game. Had this game for a while. Just decided today I wanna get better at it. Need to work on my neutral game and combos. Just played online for a bit went like 1-9. I also need to get more a custom to the game mechanics. I kinda had fun getting bodied. Although I would like to give people more of a challenge. My memory becomes hazy in what I really wanna do, and I become a bit random. Gonna try to become more solid. My current team is Jun/Tiger. My two favorite characters. My name on WTF is Eternal_Flame_LW If anyone wants to see my terrible record lol.

Don't worry. After 3314 online fights I'm just starting to get grasp of tag2.

I just picked this up from a friend and like it alot. I'm just practicing basic bnbs and movement right now. My team is Kunimitsu/????. Trying to find a second. I heard Paul is good for beginners.

TheSeks

Paul is pretty high damage in Time Attack. Finally lucked out on beating Unknown in that mode. Seems her and Jun get a massive boost in the AI juggle department from Arcade.

Xevren

That feeling where you know you're getting better is awesome in this. Been practicing for awhile but finally doing a lot better. Been playing Devil Jin/Steve and having a blast.

Also, after playing games with god awful netcode for so long it felt so nice online for this one.

Sayah

Paul is pretty high damage in Time Attack. Finally lucked out on beating Unknown in that mode. Seems her and Jun get a massive boost in the AI juggle department from Arcade.

DEATH FIST

WTF is sometimes fast/instant with updating and slow at other times. Though, more recently, it's just been slow.

There is online practice. If you need any help, I don't mind helping (on PSN).

That feeling where you know you're getting better is awesome in this. Been practicing for awhile but finally doing a lot better. Been playing Devil Jin/Steve and having a blast.

Also, after playing games with god awful netcode for so long it felt so nice online for this one.

Niiiiice.

I just picked this up from a friend and like it alot. I'm just practicing basic bnbs and movement right now. My team is Kunimitsu/????. Trying to find a second. I heard Paul is good for beginners.

Paul is pretty good.

If you need any combo ideas, I don't mind doing a video. Just say the team you are using.

Deps

Combo timing is pretty lenient in this game and there's a pretty big buffer window for punishes, don't need plinking/double tapping. The difficulty comes from changing your combo based on the angle you launch them or the stage positioning.

Top Bottom