• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

TheWriter

What does a character like Lingharu even do in this game? Poking and changing stances like a madwoman only to get kicked three times by Bruce and losing 50 % of life or having ten different characters with shoulder rams that are like instant and take off 20 % per hit? Get lost, Feng.
I don't even care about frames or that stuff because it doesn't matter online anyway. Lili seems to be so unsafe but can just do her cartwheels all day and I can't reach her with Xiaoyus tiny arms.
Jesus, I should just use Hwoarang and do those bullshit kicks all day. I'm suffering for nothing.
Can't even have a nice player lobby without stupid Brawler-rank clowns coming in and ruining the party with their Bryans and Bruces or Kings and their hopkicks.
50 characters and I only ever see maybe 10 of them, all with the same tactics, and I fall for every one of them with Lingharu.
Yes, I scrub, yes, I mad.
Wretched online.

Yes, the irony of that rant coming from an Alisa player is not lost on me.

Doomshine

I'm no Ling player but you want to frustrate your opponent and make them throw out moves like that, i.e. punishable moves and kill them for it. Most shoulders, including Feng's, are launch punishable.

It sounds incredibly obvious, I know, but I don't really know what else to say. Know when to not press buttons, I guess.

What does a character like Lingharu even do in this game? Poking and changing stances like a madwoman only to get kicked three times by Bruce and losing 50 % of life or having ten different characters with shoulder rams that are like instant and take off 20 % per hit? Get lost, Feng.
I don't even care about frames or that stuff because it doesn't matter online anyway. Lili seems to be so unsafe but can just do her cartwheels all day and I can't reach her with Xiaoyus tiny arms.
Jesus, I should just use Hwoarang and do those bullshit kicks all day. I'm suffering for nothing.
Can't even have a nice player lobby without stupid Brawler-rank clowns coming in and ruining the party with their Bryans and Bruces or Kings and their hopkicks.
50 characters and I only ever see maybe 10 of them, all with the same tactics, and I fall for every one of them with Lingharu.
Wretched online.

Most online matches are good enough that frames matter to a certain extent. I think you just need to be a little more patient. Try not to freak out after being hit by a Bryan d/f+3 or Bruce CD+4.

My Bob bias is showing.
Haha, your Bob was driving me crazy in our last matches.

Fuck that character.

DEATH™

Kunimitsu/Michelle. That's who I decided on for starters.

Just some tips for Michelle...

1. Use her shotgun (d~df+1) and elbow (ff+1). They are good pokes. Shotgun spin to mad axes are too good.

2. Michelle f3~1 is really good, very good way of closing in aside from fff+1.

3. Use your crouching mixups.

4. As kevin said, MASH HARDER. LOL

Dereck

DEATH™;72498076 said:

1. Use her shotgun (d~df+1) and elbow (ff+1). They are good pokes. Shotgun spin to mad axes are too good.

Why do have all of these tips for different characters but only play with one?

Thanks for the tips! I'm going through the command list right and finishing up the sample combos. Then I'll work on movement, and then setups, to online. Complete opposite to what I did in starting out in SSFIV for Ibooki :eek:

DEATH™

Why do have all of these tips for different characters but only play with one?

Correction, TWO...

tumblr_mlw0fiftST1rn7ol7o1_1280.jpg

Besides the fact that Kings are too much fun to play, for my playstyle I need to look out for character BnB tools to punish. I am already having trouble executing punishers on the right time so why screw it up?

Thanks for the tips! I'm going through the command list right and finishing up the sample combos. Then I'll work on movement, and then setups, to online. Complete opposite to what I did in starting out in SSFIV for Ibooki :eek:

Yeah, aside from shotgun, elbow and Mad Axes, use Bow and Arrow (FC df4, 3) along with WS 2, 2 for some nasty 50/50s when crouching. And keep being aggressive! Julia/Michelle are pretty aggressive chars so don't worry too much on punishment unless they are obviously launch punishable. Sometimes I'll even prefer you to just punish everything that's less than -15 with jabs just to keep the pressure on.

Dereck

DEATH™;72500301 said:
Correction, TWO...

Besides the fact that Kings are too much fun to play, for my playstyle I need to look out for character BnB tools to punish. I am already having trouble executing punishers on the right time so why screw it up?

Yeah, aside from shotgun, elbow and Mad Axes, use Bow and Arrow (FC df4, 3) along with WS 2, 2 for some nasty 50/50s when crouching. And keep being aggressive! Julia/Michelle are pretty aggressive chars so don't worry too much on punishment unless they are obviously launch punishable. Sometimes I'll even prefer you to just punish everything that's less than -15 with jabs just to keep the pressure on.
Dude you could easily learn another character given your knowledge of them.

Wretched online.

You need to use a lot of stance cancels with Lings. If you're getting shouldered every time they see you go into a stance, you might be able to cancel and block in time to punish. Most characters have moves or strings that can transition into stances. These are good because you can mix up all the different options to confuse people. Once you've conditioned someone to stop pressing buttons, you can start doing all the stance shenanigans because they'll be hesitant.

Just don't be too predictable. I don't know much about your characters but that's just my general advice for using stances.

Aris is the Tekken Pope confirmed by the YouTube gods.

And according to that rage video, Runitblack is the Tekken Lucifer. Sounds about right.

RIB is like that one guy on the (whatever) show that never gets any respect. lol

EDIT -- just watched this weeks WNF. Very happy to see S.A.M. get 2nd with Yoshi team. Filling in for JFJ I take it? No idea what happened pre-finals. Oh well, will be interesting to see what Rickstah has to say at the next ATP.

DEATH™;72498076 said:

Just wanted to thank you for this as well. I hate how I can't do shotgun spins in a combo but I'll keep trying. Linking the second shotgun after the first is killing me, haha.

LowParry

Wretched online.

Soooooooooooooooo what's the problem you're having with Xioayu? And no, don't play Miharu and Xioayu together. It's silly and not fun.

Deps

Any helpful hints/guides on throw breaks? Definitely something I really need to improve on.

In TTT2 practice vs Ganryu, when you break his throws you switch sides. Aside from that its just about becoming aware of the arms and stopping yourself from guess breaking. Never guess when breaking throws or it will be a lot harder to learn.

Noodalls throw break trainer is also really good for practicing throw breaks http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4470436#post4470436

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't do these Tag Assaults worth a damn which is weird since the Prologue demo gave them out like candy on one button press. :/

Manbig

I can't do these Tag Assaults worth a damn which is weird since the Prologue demo gave them out like candy on one button press. :/

If you hold down the tag button when doing them, you still get a free built in one for the character. I encourage you to hit up training mode and explore the unique options with them, because that's one of the most interesting parts of this game.

DEATH™

Just wanted to thank you for this as well. I hate how I can't do shotgun spins in a combo but I'll keep trying. Linking the second shotgun after the first is killing me, haha.

Try doing shotgun spins on a standing opponent first. What guitar training taught me is muscle memory is key. So don't focus on doing it on juggles first (where you are worrying about dropping it) and instead get the rhythm and practice doing the move until your muscles can do it unconciously for you.

Any helpful hints/guides on throw breaks? Definitely something I really need to improve on.

Don't look only at the arms, but at the hips/torso too. One break throws don't make the character shift their body, while two break throws twist their hips. 1+2 breaks instead lunge their torso forward.

I'm currently practicing them right now but I'm still crap online. TV lag + interweb lag = throwbreak dummy. Which is bad since I use Kings and it makes me guilty at times to throw lol.

Just like manny said. Plus go hit the fight lab last stage. If you can S the boss, tag assaults are a piece of cake...

TheWriter

Soooooooooooooooo what's the problem you're having with Xioayu? And no, don't play Miharu and Xioayu together. It's silly and not fun.

Why is it silly and for whom is it not fun? If it's not fun for my opponents, then I will keep using them together. Also, I can use two characters while practically learning only one, which is good for a start.

I'm just having problems finding a rhythm with them. Other characters just pressure or turtle or go by raw power, while my girls stumble with their puny damage and I see them flailing their arms around and go into stances from which I can't block. Then SHOULDER TACKLE from Paul or Feng and I'm suddenly at a massive disadvantage.
It's my fault, I know.

I think I will rethink my current strategy. Instead of focusing on winning I will turtle and evade and punish. No matter how many times I'm going to lose, I will just focus on defense now and poke or throw or safe launch my enemies until I have a rock solid defense. I run into way too much silly attacks. By turtling I can also wear down the patience of my opponents, which will leave them as open as I currently am.
Genius!

DEATH™

Why is it silly and for whom is it not fun? If it's not fun for my opponents, then I will keep using them together. Also, I can use two characters while practically learning only one, which is good for a start.

I'm just having problems finding a rhythm with them. Other characters just pressure or turtle or go by raw power, while my girls stumble with their puny damage and I see them flailing their arms around and go into stances from which I can't block. Then SHOULDER TACKLE from Paul or Feng and I'm suddenly at a massive disadvantage.
It's my fault, I know.

I think I will rethink my current strategy. Instead of focusing on winning I will turtle and evade and punish. No matter how many times I'm going to lose, I will just focus on defense now and poke or throw or safe launch my enemies until I have a rock solid defense. I run into way too much silly attacks. By turtling I can also wear down the patience of my opponents, which will leave them as open as I currently am.
Genius!

Yep defense is key, because everyone in this game can hit.

Just be careful though that don't be a full turtler. Gotta balance solid defense, pressure, and partying hard lol. I realized at times that there is a time for everything and its up to me to recognize that and adapt.

Ahhh, Ricksteeeeeezy killed it at WNF.

I just found it out tonight at AtP live. I'm like "lol he won"?

Dereck

DEATH™;72932691 said:
I just found it out tonight at AtP live. I'm like "lol he won"?
lol

Aris shits on Rickstah a lot involving WNF, but you can tell it's friendly as opposed to Runitwhite hate.

TheSeks

If you hold down the tag button when doing them, you still get a free built in one for the character. I encourage you to hit up training mode and explore the unique options with them, because that's one of the most interesting parts of this game.

No, I mean setting them up. The demo had a one button press where you ground-bounced them into it easily. Here you have to launch, bound, and then assault which seems wayyyy too much work for me to trigger it.

Sayah

No, I mean setting them up. The demo had a one button press where you ground-bounced them into it easily. Here you have to launch, bound, and then assault which seems wayyyy too much work for me to trigger it.

Start off with easy combos, then work on the harder ones as you learn.

You were using Hwoarang, right?

Try b+X, u/f+circle, triangle, then b+triangle. Then press the tag button.
And you have a tag assault.

Everyone still has a universal one-hit tag assault with 1+2+5. It's not the best option in a real match in most cases though. And you can certainly bind LP+RP+Tag to one button.

DEATH™;72916581 said:
Try doing shotgun spins on a standing opponent first. What guitar training taught me is muscle memory is key. So don't focus on doing it on juggles first (where you are worrying about dropping it) and instead get the rhythm and practice doing the move until your muscles can do it unconciously for you.

Actually, it's funny. I can perform the move on the ground perfectly. It's just the juggling combo where my execution slips up. It's starting to improve, though.

I like that there's another Yoshi player contending at WNF. They said he's been going alot, but only reached top 8 recently.

Might be due to smaller turnout or key player missing, who knows. Wish we still had an active local scene in Austin...

TheSeks

Everyone still has a universal one-hit tag assault with 1+2+5. It's not the best option in a real match in most cases though. And you can certainly bind LP+RP+Tag to one button.

Eh, if that gives the trophy for doing it, great.

I have chosen to start out with Kazuya and Devil Jin (they are the only chars where I know their strategies and moves) but I lose about 50% of the time. What should I do?

EDIT: I seem to get wrecked whenever I can't keep the pressure up.

DEATH™

I have chosen to start out with Kazuya and Devil Jin (they are the only chars where I know their strategies and moves) but I lose about 50% of the time. What should I do?

Focus on your movement. Usually, the goal with the Mishimas is to whiff punish so yeah. Pressure with the mishimas (especially with kazuya) can only get you so far...

What's some good advice to escape King/A.King chain throws?

Duck, move away etc. I'm serious.

Breaking multithrows is a total losing game. 33/33/33 or 50/50 chance of breaking and even if you break it, there's nothing for the king player to lose. Just try not to get caught, and at least observe what multithrow strings your opponents prefer.

Winning half the time means you're doing well, dude. There are tournament level players who barely have a 60% online. Just keep playing and you'll gradually improve.

Top Bottom