• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™;73163701 said:
Focus on your movement. Usually, the goal with the Mishimas is to whiff punish so yeah. Pressure with the mishimas (especially with kazuya) can only get you so far...

Thanks. I guess by movement you mean the wavedashing and Korean backdashing. I can wavedash consistently, though not very fast, but I just can't seem to do the backdashing right during a match.

Dereck

I got a read on your attack rhythm.
ibvTy1rkXErJ8i.gif

DEATH™

Thanks. I guess by movement you mean the wavedashing and Korean backdashing. I can wavedash consistently, though not very fast, but I just can't seem to do the backdashing right during a match.

If you can wavedash consistently, you can korean backdash automatically. Just do your regular wavedash input backwards and you're good.

Sent using crappy PC at work

DEATH™;73195661 said:
If you can wavedash consistently, you can korean backdash automatically. Just do your regular wavedash input backwards and you're good.

Somehow there is a mental barrier that prevents me from doing that especially when the other player is up in my face.

DEATH™

Somehow there is a mental barrier that prevents me from doing that especially when the other player is up in my face.

Actually I would prefer you to not BDC when you are on someone's face. BDC is not safe in general (you can get hit out of it), so I would prefer you to sidestep/sidewalk when you are on point blank range being pressured. In my experience, I would prefer BDC when you're on a forward dash range/a bit farther than jab range.

DEATH™;73198311 said:
Actually I would prefer you to not BDC when you are on someone's face. BDC is not safe in general (you can get hit out of it), so I would prefer you to sidestep/sidewalk when you are on point blank range being pressured. In my experience, I would prefer BDC when you're on a forward dash range/a bit farther than jab range.

Makes sense. Is Kazuya's mist step a good option in point blank range? It seems to be considering if the opponent misses, you can either hellsweep or god fist.

Manbig

What's some good advice to escape King/A.King chain throws?

If they're catching you with the ones from the slow crouch dash or sidestep, then I believe that those are always 1+2 breaks for the intial grab. Just keep this in mind because the movement before they grab you makes them very obvious.

The chain grabs that come out of the spinning hop on the other hand are a 50/50 guess on the initial break. If you have a safe on block and semi quick jumping attack (like Dragunov's uf/+3), it's not a half bad option when you see King spin jumping towards you mindlessly, because those grabs don't grab you out of the air.

LowParry

Why is it silly and for whom is it not fun? If it's not fun for my opponents, then I will keep using them together. Also, I can use two characters while practically learning only one, which is good for a start.

I'm just having problems finding a rhythm with them. Other characters just pressure or turtle or go by raw power, while my girls stumble with their puny damage and I see them flailing their arms around and go into stances from which I can't block. Then SHOULDER TACKLE from Paul or Feng and I'm suddenly at a massive disadvantage.
It's my fault, I know.

I think I will rethink my current strategy. Instead of focusing on winning I will turtle and evade and punish. No matter how many times I'm going to lose, I will just focus on defense now and poke or throw or safe launch my enemies until I have a rock solid defense. I run into way too much silly attacks. By turtling I can also wear down the patience of my opponents, which will leave them as open as I currently am.
Genius!

Hey sorry for the late response. Reason behind I don't like the two together is there's no diversity in my play. It's just the same blah blah blah with the two. Now having just one paired with say Devil Jin or Kazuya, then I can put out more damage between the two. For practice I agree with you there, but at some point you're going to see that the two together just doesn't cut it.

As for strategy, I advise you start here:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2/Ling

If they're catching you with the ones from the slow crouch dash or sidestep, then I believe that those are always 1+2 breaks for the intial grab. Just keep this in mind because the movement before they grab you makes them very obvious.

The chain grabs that come out of the spinning hop on the other hand are a 50/50 guess on the initial break. If you have a safe on block and semi quick jumping attack (like Dragunov's uf/+3), it's not a half bad option when you see King spin jumping towards you mindlessly, because those grabs don't grab you out of the air.

awesome. For all the years I've played Tekken, throws have always been my bane, and I still suck at escapes even after practicing forever.

GrayFoxPL

awesome. For all the years I've played Tekken, throws have always been my bane, and I still suck at escapes even after practicing forever.

Easy. I just shout: "Hey! I escaped that!" - feels righteous.

In Revo they made escape window almost twice as long. Can't make excuses. (Of course I can!)

Manbig

If they really care about improving the online play for Tekken, then they should make the escape window in Revolution the standard. It's a arbitrary barrier to have such a tight break window on top of having to react to the hand animations. It's okay to have tiny break window for 2D fighters because it's only one break input that you have to worry about. That doesn't work out very well for 3D fighters though. I'm just not a fan of how tight it is in Tag 2.

Sayah

Throw breaking does need to be improved. I get mad annoyed when I get hit by a Law/Asuka/Jun/Jack grab or waning moon that can lead to juggle damage. Or they could just get rid of grabs that lead to juggle damage altogether. I'd be fine with that. Or for breaking the grab that leads to potential juggle damage, I should be able to punish the opponent somehow. They can literally function as launchers and the opponent goes free regardless of grab breaks.

Sayah

^
I sure did. :p

Anyways, Jinpachi/Alisa is pretty amazing team. From Jinpachi's d/f+2 and Alisa's tag assault, I can take 105 damage (no walls). That's quite high. Interested in developing this team further.

I just realized the only way I can win with Ganryu is if they duck after b+2,1. :lol

GGs boutdown. I hope I wasn't playing too annoying. Had to resort to cheap tactics and low spam when my combos kept dropping. Your Bob/Law pressure is very hard to deal with. Good stuff punishing all those raw tags too.

DEATH™

I hope you and AAK learned something from tonight's beatdown

That lesson was free. Next time I go straight raw

Hey what did you do? I wanna hear it lol.

@manbig that's tricky... I can say this without King bias that offline throwbreaking window is pretty sufficient. But for online, its harder (though possible). But then if you change the window online, you gotta do it offline too (coding stuff). So yeah.

Dereck

I just realized the only way I can win with Ganryu is if they duck after b+2,1. :lol

GGs boutdown. I hope I wasn't playing too annoying. Had to resort to cheap tactics and low spam when my combos kept dropping. Your Bob/Law pressure is very hard to deal with. Good stuff punishing all those raw tags too.
:)

I was messing around in practice mode with Jinpapi and Lars

No one on GAF plays with Lars, let's keep it that way bruh.
Oh no..

GrayFoxPL

My old router finally gave up, and I can't get the new one to work as good. When searching lobby's in eg Revo I saw all kinds of bars on old router in new one it only shows red bars.

I'm setting it up like the old one but no go, I only get normal bars by rank match. Fucking new routers. My old smc barricade isn't even produced anymore. Shit.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just got Xbox Gold again, so if anyone wants to play a few matches anytime I'm on, I'll be cool with that (my gametag is in the spreadsheet)

boutdown sending that smug smiley face every time I get bodied. >_>

Edit: oh man, PS3 just froze while searching for a match. Now it says the files may be corrupt. :/

what happend to the tekken coding gods?

the loading times in ttt2 are so horrible (hdd indicator isnt even blinking, maybe decompression/allocating?) .. you wait like 40~60 seconds from selecting a character to actually playing ... inacceptable
ssd made nearly no reduction

tekken 4 you waited like 8 seconds, that made it so enjoyable to play around

but ttt2 is frustrating

must have been a pain to beta test

online Play is even worse and the anger Level raises just by the loading times

next tekken (ps4), reduce loading times, dedicat a team ´just to reduce these damn loading time.. thank you and take my money

GrayFoxPL

The amazing load times got bad when they went multiplatform. PS1 PS2 hardware ftw!

But to be honest 4 characters in Tag 2 load faster then 2 in Tekken 6, so they're improving. Revolution loads decently too.

DEATH™

what happend to the tekken coding gods?

the loading times in ttt2 are so horrible (hdd indicator isnt even blinking, maybe decompression/allocating?) .. you wait like 40~60 seconds from selecting a character to actually playing ... inacceptable
ssd made nearly no reduction

tekken 4 you waited like 8 seconds, that made it so enjoyable to play around

but ttt2 is frustrating

must have been a pain to beta test

online Play is even worse and the anger Level raises just by the loading times

next tekken (ps4), reduce loading times, dedicat a team ´just to reduce these damn loading time.. thank you and take my money

Uhhh... u on xbox? You gotta intall the game on your hard drive...

GrayFoxPL

Coolest Bana Passport

Btw. It's sad we didn't get the same interface and "thingies" like arcade T6 and TTT2. There's even some kind of mini lottery with classic Namco games icons. And options like comments, name stuff.

Always jelly when watching those arcade vids.

DEATH™

Sorry AAK, playing with Famicom too...

And GGs Famicom... Darn I was sweating...

Miguel shoulder is too good... Safe and hard to sidestep... Why can't my shoulder be like that grrrrr...

And throwbreak training paying off a bit... Still not there but closer...

I think I'm done playing ranked. I've reached my frustration limit.

People play like jerks in ranked. I stick to player match where I can have fun and learn without the stress.

One day, when I'm good enough, I'll play ranked and laugh at all those desperate final round lows, throws and 10-hits.

solid mike

I just bought an arcade stick after playing from Tekken 3 up till now with a PS controller.

Any tips on doing diagonal inputs (uf, df, db, ub) for arcade sticks? They were simple to do with the dpad but the transition to stick is harder than I thought.

DEATH™

I just bought an arcade stick after playing from Tekken 3 up till now with a PS controller.

Any tips on doing diagonal inputs (uf, df, db, ub) for arcade sticks? They were simple to do with the dpad but the transition to stick is harder than I thought.

Just position your hand in one place consistently everytime you play. After that just play, play, play. You want your muscles to remember the diagonal inputs, so you always want your hand in the same place everytime to not get confused.

solid mike

DEATH™;73769263 said:
Just position your hand in one place consistently everytime you play. After that just play, play, play. You want your muscles to remember the diagonal inputs, so you always want your hand in the same place everytime to not get confused.

Thanks for the advice. I've noticed that even though my ewgf don't always connect, when I do perform a successful one, it's the just frame one. Is it really like this for sticks?

DEATH™

Thanks for the advice. I've noticed that even though my ewgf don't always connect, when I do perform a successful one, it's the just frame one. Is it really like this for sticks?

Not really... The good thing about sticks though is it's easier to input your button commands faster, which is what happens to you. The problem most people have though is the left hand, but it's something people can learn easily with practice and right technique.

DEATH™

GGs to AAK and Sayah...

1. My hands gave up in the end... I suddenly can't bdc...

2. I still suck at throwbreaking...

3. Darn I still didn't stand a chance despite you guys not using your mains...

4. Gotta punish right... I knew there are some punish that I could get a launch but b12 everything habit came in...

A lot of lessons learned... though deep inside I feel like more of a gatekeeper than an actually good player... I can live people breaking my throws since it gives me space when my left hand fails me, but I should be able to punish correctly and actually put up a good unpredictable offense and solid defense... I don't know where to start...

Sayah

DEATH™;73883383 said:
GGs to AAK and Sayah...

1. My hands gave up in the end... I suddenly can't bdc...

2. I still suck at throwbreaking...

3. Darn I still didn't stand a chance despite you guys not using your mains...

4. Gotta punish right... I knew there are some punish that I could get a launch but b12 everything habit came in...

A lot of lessons learned... though deep inside I feel like more of a gatekeeper than an actually good player... I can live people breaking my throws since it gives me space when my left hand fails me, but I should be able to punish correctly and actually put up a good unpredictable offense and solid defense... I don't know where to start...

GGs. I'm not good at throwbreaking either and if I happen to break a throw, I definitely got lucky.

You should be putting a lot more pressure with Armor King, though. Probably watch some Kayyal or other top player matches and adapt some strategies.

There are some key Armor King moves that I didn't see you using at all.

But you're definitely playing great. :)

DEATH™

GGs. I'm not good at throwbreaking either and if I happen to break a throw, I definitely got lucky.

You should be putting a lot more pressure with Armor King, though. Probably watch some Kayyal or other top player matches and adapt some strategies.

There are some key Armor King moves that I didn't see you using at all.

But you're definitely playing great. :)

Yeah... I rarely used df+1 as a poke, maybe because I backdash alot and just waiting to get that DU. I could also use other wallsplat moves aside f+2,1 too... I love to use running 3 before but I got punished alot before with it, and I know you guys got an eye for that lol. Sucks for AK only having ff+3 as a decent tracking move... and it's a high...

Also with King... There are alot of times I should use ffn+1+2...

I really need to stop playing on Ranked...

GGs though... I still gotta practice... (or buy an EVO monitor lol)

DEATH™;73887693 said:
Yeah... I rarely used df+1 as a poke, maybe because I backdash alot and just waiting to get that DU. I could also use other wallsplat moves aside f+2,1 too... I love to use running 3 before but I got punished alot before with it, and I know you guys got an eye for that lol. Sucks for AK only having ff+3 as a decent tracking move... and it's a high...

Also with King... There are alot of times I should use ffn+1+2...

I really need to stop playing on Ranked...

GGs though... I still gotta practice... (or buy an EVO monitor lol)

I find that with AK's ff3 and df1+2 being so slow and unreliable you have to utilize df1 and d4 to catch tracking depending on which direction they're going.

Top Bottom