• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DEATH™

Just a question, with all these decapre backlash stuff happening right now...

What became the difference between this and TTT2 char reveals? (TTT2 chars were accepted as awesome beautiful additions while Decapre...)

AAK

This witch hunt from the FGC is completely unjustified IMO. They aren't clones at all. Decapre has a completely new and distinct moveset and playstyle. Just because it didn't fall into people's expectations of having a character like Ryu's mom or Hakkan's wife the internet is throwing a hissyfit.

This is actually MUCH better than Namco's efforts with Miharu/SlimBob/Forest/Tiger/Sebastian/Unknown. Cammy-Decapre is much more like Jin-Devil Jin

DEATH™;104741505 said:
Just a question, with all these decapre backlash stuff happening right now...

What became the difference between this and TTT2 char reveals? (TTT2 chars were accepted as awesome beautiful additions while Decapre...)

Eh, there's lots of reasons. Months of hype, it only being ONE character, and that character being a visual copy of one of the most hated characters in the game at the moment. Just the usual salty people that invest too much into things. Like all of the people that want Shin in Tekken.

DEATH™

This witch hunt from the FGC is completely unjustified IMO. They aren't clones at all. Decapre has a completely new and distinct moveset and playstyle. Just because it didn't fall into people's expectations of having a character like Ryu's mom or Hakkan's wife the internet is throwing a hissyfit.

This is actually MUCH better than Namco's efforts with Miharu/SlimBob/Forest/Tiger/Sebastian/Unknown. Cammy-Decapre is much more like Jin-Devil Jin

The thing though is... They made them along with Kuni, Michelle, AO, and Angel...

Eh, there's lots of reasons. Months of hype, it only being ONE character, and that character being a visual copy of one of the most hated characters in the game at the moment. Just the usual salty people that invest too much into things. Like all of the people that want Shin in Tekken.

Come to think of it, them hyping Decapre up made people expect high, Especially when people wanted Karin and Mika lol. While we don't expect Kuni to come back since Harada is so firm to it, we viewed her reveal as such blessing... If they just didn't hype her hard, they might receive decapre as a nice addition...

Come to think of it the second time, the problem is SF marketing team toying with te emotions of the fans. Looig atTTT2, somefans just want their chars to be in the game. People wanted Kuni, AO, Michelle, Miharu, Forest, Alex and P Jack at least. Even if they are clones or not, people are happy that the chars are there. I mean, if Mika just ended up reusing Zangief assets, it would still be accepted good because that was the people wanted...

• People got all the Tekken (near) clones for free with the initial release of TTT2 with no hype involved. This is on top of getting tag mode, Jinpachi, Jun, Ogre, Kuni, Dr. B, and all new stages.
  • People are getting Decapre by buying a fourth version of SF4 after months of mystery and hype involved. Most of the new things from USF4 are ported over from SFxT
I don't think the hate is warranted (in fact, as a SCV player I would love to get additional developer support year after year), but the situations are not the same. TTT2 was the best fighting game release of the generation.

Doomshine

Capcom's fault for hyping it up in the first place, if she had been revealed along with the other characters the backlash would've been nowhere near as big.

...and like other people have mentioned, the Tag 2 characters were free. Elisa in Revolution would be a better comparison and even she was free.

I don't think the situations are the same. Plus just look at the pure volume you listed. namco did WAY more than Capcom in this regard. There were so many "clone-ish" characters for the TTT2 home release. Plus they didn't hype just 1 of them for months.

I think if capcom didn't hype for months for no reason, and people hate cammy and more dive kick/mix up characters. The hate would had been less I think.

I wish namco did a new character clone dump for SC5 update, hehe. :(

Xevren

After Final Round I really want to learn Heihachi some more, watching people play him was awesome. Time to start some electric practice...or just do ff2 online a bunch.

Sayah

As mentioned, Namco didn't really hype up the TTT2 console characters months in advance. From what I remember, they just released the trailers to show off the characters. There was no "Look forward to this date or that event for new info." And everyone was expecting the console version to not have as much as it ended up having so there's that also. I mean, we could have easily just had an arcade port with no other real additions outside of maybe Fight Lab since console versions need that SP component. But Kunimitsu, Angel, Michelle, Dr. B.........those all came up as a huge surprise.

After Final Round I really want to learn Heihachi some more, watching people play him was awesome. Time to start some electric practice...or just do ff2 online a bunch.

I mentioned this earlier but electrics become A LOT easier if you assign right punch (RP) to the L1 button.

Manbig

While you should learn electrics eventually, they are not a necessity for Heihachi like they are for Kaz. Hei is just a strong character all around. People complain about his lack of a "proper" WS launcher, but that WS1 into deathfist combo hurts like a mofo!

Ghazi

People are tired of Cammy, introducing something that is extremely Cammy like didn't resonate well with the remaining community.

They also hyped the reveal up a ridiculous amount, and said that very few people guessed it when many people guessed Decapre.

It's as simple as that.

Based on last two events(SCR & FR), Tekken should at least be reconsidered back in the lineup for EVO.
I thought I heard Markman talking about that, and that he is trying to pull strings and nudge elbows, at least for a tourney on the side. I'm hoping he can push for something more official now.

AZUMIKE

Markman, your work in highlighting Tekken (via commentaries, streaming Global Tourney, hype factor) is appreciated. Tag 2 is a phenomenal game, and it'll be interesting to see where Tag 2 (not to mention the entire Tekken Franchise) will go from here. Thanks.

Heihachi is arguably one of the best characters if not the best. Like Death said, though, EWFGs aren't as important with Heihachi for a beginner as he has so many other useful tools that make him very versatile. Keep in mind however, a Mishima without the electricity is still a lesser Mishima than what is possible. You just wont get wrecked as hard with Heihachi if you can't do EWGFs than you would with Kaz.

m0t0k1

While I won't lie and say I'm a beginner in fighting games, I'm in no way an expert. I like to enjoy them and never use guides/videos to learn the ultimate combo.

Would gladly grow my friend list a little bit with some fellow gaffer. Add me if you want, my NNID is zsidane

Ok i am going to add you tonight. I am kinda the same way i play fighting games with friends but never go deep into the mechanics of the game. So i am also kind of a beginner. We all have jobs and stuff so no time to learn it all but still great fun.

sasuke_91

I think now I really got the timing for EWGF. I even managed to do that double-EWGF combo with Kaz + Hei which deals some nice damage (95 dmg without wall). I don't know if I can do it Online, too, but I'll try someday :p

@Terareflection: I can play boutdown with no lag, anyone else from USA is a problem, though. Let's hope it'll work anyway^^

Oh and Kadey, you got a friend request from me, too, if that's okay :p

AAK

In case someone missed it, this guy has been doing awesome illustrations of the Tag 2 cast: https://twitter.com/bloodysamoan

Speaking of art, there is this one insanely good artwork of Lili looking into the mirror that just recently got commissioned to JophieIS:

jophielseliza_amp_lilida_by_jophiels-d7amegb.jpg

I said wow.

GrayFoxPL

Just got to thinking that they really nerfed Changs in this game.

I wish.

1 is enough, but 2?

I was thinking getting clones wasn't very good idea. Triple capos, double lees, double changs, double lings, double lilis, double laws, double bears, double animals, double kazamas, double jacks, double fucking bobs. Look at this long ass list. From perspective it's pretty bad.

Love Violet, but I'd be more then willing to lose him if it meant not having to plow through 100000s of double Bobs or Laws online. (Btw RIP really needs to learn characters)

I truly believe in TxSF this year. I know in my guts Harada will announce it before half of this year. I need that 1 on 1 feeling back with solid small roster of characters.

DEATH™

I wish.

1 is enough, but 2?

I was thinking getting clones wasn't very good idea. Triple capos, double lees, double changs, double lings, double lilis, double laws, double bears, double animals, double kazamas, double jacks, double fucking bobs. Look at this long ass list. From perspective it's pretty bad.

Love Violet, but I'd be more then willing to lose him if it meant not having to plow through 100000s of double Bobs or Laws online. (Btw RIP really needs to learn characters)

I truly believe in TxSF this year. I know in my guts Harada will announce it before half of this year. I need that 1 on 1 feeling back with solid small roster of characters.

It helps noobs man... Besides, everyone started to be clones then evolved into something different... I can think of few additions to Michelle to be played differently from Julia in the future...

Also, I am a fan of big roster... so sorry :p.

As long as each characters give something gameplay wise and aesthetics wise, I'm good...

Top Bottom