• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

TheBoss1

It's all trade offs in that case and his reasoning for using these less than ideal settings was to show a 'worse case scenario' of sorts where correct tonemapping is important But you can see how none of the three sets actually displays these images correctly. Sony's approach of clipping above the peak and tracking the EOTF curve accurately is actually more typical of mastering monitors than TVs where this is the desired behaviour.

Sony actually chooses something closer to the LG approach on the ZD9 though Sony's justification there is they wanted the ZD9 to be a 'consumer version' studios can use to understand how a TV might tonemap content that is mapped to a TV.

It also is important to note here that peak brightness does indeed matter and all of these displays lose detail in some way or look inaccurate. For LG it's expanding dynamic range on the low end to keep distinct steps on the higher levels hence why it is dimmer.

This is a great explanation. In the video in my previous post, you can see the Sony handling above black details a lot better than the LG which is crushing those same details.

Yeah just seen the vid and while Sony is more "accurate" but it's like a pick your poison kind of deal. Think I'd rather go with a darkened image since it's easier to recover midtones through other settings.

BTW for LG they have the Active HDR (turn on DC low) and it raises the APL but keeps the highlights. I assume he didn't activate that in the vid. I'm guessing the LG would close the distance with the Panny with it on.

DV is the big fix. Sony seems to be an outlier among the rest though.

That is true, DV should come equipped on all OLED's as standard. I was transfixed on HDR10.

vpance

Yeah, Mad Max being one, and this is where LCD's have the same trouble that OLED's have up to 1000.

Current Samsung and Pannys handle it well I think. At least for the KS and Qs. It's not by coincidence that both aren't supporting DV. I guess they figure they don't need it as much.

Current Samsung and Pannys handle it well I think. At least for the KS and Qs. It's not by coincidence that both aren't supporting DV. I guess they figure they don't need it as much.

I think the upper end KS range tone map 4000 nits, the DX I'm not so sure, but can't complain with what I've seen anyway, Mad Max looks great in the storm.

Just seen Dredd 4K Blu is out in a couple of weeks.... :)

J-Rzez

So all that video proves is you're buying the oled that suits your tastes best, lol. I looked long and hard at the A1E and E7, ended up with the A1E obviously. Some may prefer the LG. No Panny here in the states very unfortunately.

Sony was great with their firmware updates. The issues I questioned them via email I got a tech response to and they said "I think you'll enjoy the first major update." Cool. Can't wait. Love it so far. Big jump from my EF9500.

So all that video proves is you're buying the oled that suits your tastes best, lol. I looked long and hard at the A1E and E7, ended up with the A1E obviously. Some may prefer the LG. No Panny here in the states very unfortunately.

Sony was great with their firmware updates. The issues I questioned them via email I got a tech response to and they said "I think you'll enjoy the first major update." Cool. Can't wait. Love it so far. Big jump from my EF9500.

Referring to DV you think?

I think the upper end KS range tone map 4000 nits, the DX I'm not so sure, but can't complain with what I've seen anyway, Mad Max looks great in the storm.

Just seen Dredd 4K Blu is out in a couple of weeks.... :)

Most of those nits are for cloud detail and some highlights. I've never heard that Samsung and Panasonic displays can properly tone map up to 4000 nits without some artifacting.

San Andreas is pretty high on the nits as well.

J-Rzez

Referring to DV you think?

That was mentioned in the email, but I also mentioned ghosting outside of Clearness mode, and noise at certain times which they acknowledged. Plus optimization of their already best in class gradient control. I thought it was the best already, its one of the main reasons I went with it because I despise seeing bands in sky scenes and of the sort. And for others, they were "looking into input lag."

Just got my TV. It's so beautiful but I'm overwhelmed. I have enabled HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, set my desktop to 4K 12 bpc YCBrCr422, Output Dynamic Range is locked to limited though with no ability to change it. My 25 ' HDMI Cables did not work with those settings, my Monoprice 20' Certified cable does and I have a 25' Monoprice Certified cable ordered to test.

I downloaded some demo 4k HDR videos and they do look stunning.

I have no idea how to calibrate a TV so I guess I'll have to have it done professionally. I don't even know where to look for that service.

One great option with this TV is that it supports 1080p 120hz input. I could see myself using that in some games.

III-V

Just got my TV. It's so beautiful but I'm overwhelmed. I have enabled HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, set my desktop to 4K 12 bpc YCBrCr422, Output Dynamic Range is locked to limited though with no ability to change it. My 25 ' HDMI Cables did not work with those settings, my Monoprice 20' Certified cable does and I have a 25' Monoprice Certified cable ordered to test.

I downloaded some demo 4k HDR videos and they do look stunning.

I have no idea how to calibrate a TV so I guess I'll have to have it done professionally. I don't even know where to look for that service.

One great option with this TV is that it supports 1080p 120hz input. I could see myself using that in some games.

I always recommend DIY

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226328947&postcount=130

SOLDIER

Anyone here manage to successfully connect an OLED to their PC and use it as a second monitor?

I've been having all sorts of problems with my display, and it seems to be too niche a problem for people to help in threads.

What are usually the important factors? The type of HDMI cable? Duplicate vs Extend? The resolution?

It was the first thing I did and I'm not having any issues except the first HDMI cable wasn't able to handle the 4K 60 Hz HDR signal but the second cable was fine.

I'm usually using my TV or my monitor separately but duplicate and extend both work when I try it.

I second that.

Being able to DIY whenever you want to your preference is huge. Plus you learn a lot about displays in general their functions, manufactures tendencies, etc. Investing in a C6 or eyeOne and CalMAN or Chromapure is well worth it. Hell you an even use HCFR.

I have been calibrating now for about 10 years and it's the best investment I have ever made because all teh equipment I have purchased, and upgraded, software, etc. Has paid for itself as I have done some paid calibrations.

SOLDIER

It was the first thing I did and I'm not having any issues except the first HDMI cable wasn't able to handle the 4K 60 Hz HDR signal but the second cable was fine.

I'm usually using my TV or my monitor separately but duplicate and extend both work when I try it.

Am I better off keeping the resolution for both displays the same?

My PC will recognize the OLED's resolution and switch to it accordingly, but perhaps my graphics card (Geforce GTX 970) isn't able to handle it, even though I don't use that 4K resolution for any games.

I'm looking to upgrade to 4K but I'm keeping the size small for my "battlestation".
PC, PS4 Pro and Scorpio in the fall.

I only want something about 27" (size of my current 1080p monitor). Is this the best thread, or, since I'm looking for a 4K monitor, would I get better recommendations in the PC hardware thread?

My PC will recognize the OLED's resolution and switch to it accordingly, but perhaps my graphics card (Geforce GTX 970) isn't able to handle it, even though I don't use that 4K resolution for any games.

How long is the HDMI cable?

65" 4k LG OLED or 65" 4k Samsung LED!!

Gahh, I can't figure out what to do... I'm willing to drop up to 3k on a set. But it has to be worth it and going from Plasma to OLED/LED has me worried.

Lucentto

Banned
65" 4k LG OLED or 65" 4k Samsung LED!!

Gahh, I can't figure out what to do... I'm willing to drop up to 3k on a set. But it has to be worth it and going from Plasma to OLED/LED has me worried.

If you're coming from Plasma. OLED is pretty much the only thing that will truly impress you.

I still game and watch videos on my 2008 Kuro every single fucking day and it still looks amazing.

If it weren't for 3 to 4 frames of lag I would for a few more years.

Has online street price dropped at all on the 2017 LG OLED sets? I know price talk is banned at AVS but it isn't here.

Madness

If you're coming from Plasma. OLED is pretty much the only thing that will truly impress you.

This is absolute horseshit. Rename the thread already to just OLED OT: Nothing else matters. I had a 55" ST50 from 2012 in my living room. I now have a 65" edge lit KS8000, know what? I am FUCKING blown away when I watch 4K or HDR content on it. Which is the goal of a 4K television. Yes the black levels are worse, it is an edge lit LED versus the vaunted Plasma which inky blacks. Viewing angle is worse, etc. But it is irrelevant because I have calibrated accurately and now have a picture quality that impresses me daily.

To say you need OLED to be impressed coming off Plasma is just flat out wrong. Especially when the goal is 4K, HDR, price etc. It becomes apples and oranges when you view Planet Earth 2 and Mad Max in 4K HDR or view 4K content. My plasma is now downstairs in the den. Would have sold it if I wasn't lazy and now just have a 65" KS8000 and a 43" X800D. I might go OLED in 2019 once HDMI 2.1 well adopted, DV becomes more a standard, or I will see how the top end FALD sets are doing. I don't limit myself like a fanboy to one technology, one brand, etc.

This is absolute horseshit. Rename the thread already to just OLED OT: Nothing else matters. I had a 55" ST50 from 2012 in my living room. I now have a 65" edge lit KS8000, know what? I am FUCKING blown away when I watch 4K or HDR content on it. Which is the goal of a 4K television. Yes the black levels are worse, it is an edge lit LED versus the vaunted Plasma which inky blacks. Viewing angle is worse, etc. But it is irrelevant because I have calibrated accurately and now have a picture quality that impresses me daily.

To say you need OLED to be impressed coming off Plasma is just flat out wrong. Especially when the goal is 4K, HDR, price etc. It becomes apples and oranges when you view Planet Earth 2 and Mad Max in 4K HDR or view 4K content. My plasma is now downstairs in the den. Would have sold it if I wasn't lazy and now just have a 65" KS8000 and a 43" X800D. I might go OLED in 2019 once HDMI 2.1 well adopted, DV becomes more a standard, or I will see how the top end FALD sets are doing. I don't limit myself like a fanboy to one technology, one brand, etc.

I ignored it, really couldn't be doing with it again.......

simonski

I have a 970 connected at 4K to my C6. First HDMI cable I used couldn't handle 4K@60, swapped it over, no bother since.

So, are there any real benefits of choosing the LG B7 instead of the B6?
I like having the latest, but the price difference is too big to justify to purchase the B7 over the B6. Anyone with any knowledge about the differences between these sets? Heard earlier that the near black details were supposed to be better on the B7. Is that true?

SOLDIER

I have a 970 connected at 4K to my C6. First HDMI cable I used couldn't handle 4K@60, swapped it over, no bother since.

This is the HDMI cable I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8T8FC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It should be handling 4K no problem, right?

I also managed to disable HDR through the Nvidia control panel, which was forcing my E6 to only use HDR picture options. Should I also be using Nvidia's settings for controlling the color/brightness?

Also for the life of me I don't understand why my XB1 controller won't work with Kodi while it's displayed on my TV, but seems to work fine when displayed on my PC monitor.

tokkun

So, are there any real benefits of choosing the LG B7 instead of the B6?
I like having the latest, but the price difference is too big to justify to purchase the B7 over the B6. Anyone with any knowledge about the differences between these sets? Heard earlier that the near black details were supposed to be better on the B7. Is that true?

I think the main bullet points are:

- Better near-black handling
- Less aggressive brightness limiting in SDR mode
- Slightly reduce input lag in game mode, and it works with PC and ISF modes now, so you can get low log + 4:4:4 + reasonably well calibrated out-of-the-box
- Support for 1080p/120
- More neutral color on the anti-reflective coating

I think the main bullet points are:

- Better near-black handling
- Less aggressive brightness limiting in SDR mode
- Slightly reduce input lag in game mode, and it works with PC and ISF modes now, so you can get low log + 4:4:4 + reasonably well calibrated out-of-the-box
- Support for 1080p/120
- More neutral color on the anti-reflective coating

There was something about PC mode and input lag with HDR that I read but I can't remember where. Am I crazy?

So with PC mode 4:4:4, I'm only able to set color depth to 8bit in Nvidia control panel, which I guess is the limitation of HDMI bandwidth? I guess I can set it to 4:2:2 when consuming HDR content but keep it at 4:4:4 any other time.

Kambing

There was something about PC mode and input lag with HDR that I read but I can't remember where. Am I crazy?

Just that it is equally as low as other modes -- below 22ms.

One thing to note about the C7 or 2017 LG OLED, is that color gamut is screwed up in PC input mode. It defaults to wide (when in auto) and oversaturates color compared to non PC input mode. Has a strong blue and even stronger cyan push, at least on my set. Outside of PC mode the gamut tracking is really quite good. Not sure what the input lag is outside of PC input in ISF day/night though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I ignored it, really couldn't be doing with it again.......

OK. I stayed out of your discussion about a LCD TV that doesn't exist in the US, so I could not comment on, but I temporarily owned KS8000 and it's not even close about being in the same league as an OLED.

So although it's true that you might be impressed by 4K HDR content on that TV coming from plasma 90% of what you will watch/play will not be HDR. In the US your options are very limited and OLED is a clear choice.

hey guys,

So i currently have a LG EC9300, looking to upgrade to a B6 or C6.....

Now i recall that the C6 had received the patch for input lag, correct? But how is this for tbe B6 today? I'm from The Netherlands and it's possible that they still haven't given us the update. Or have they?

I am asking this because the B6 is around the 1600 euros now and the C6 around 1800. If everything is the same except for a slight curve, i will go for that B6.

The European firmware's are available online to download and you can install them manually via USB, so it doesn't matter whether the auto update function works in NL or not.
As for the input lag, with the latest FW it's abt. 28 for the B6V and 34 ms for the C6V/E6V.

OK. I stayed out of your discussion about a LCD TV that doesn't exist in the US, so I could not comment on, but I temporarily owned KS8000 and it's not even close about being in the same league as an OLED.

So although it's true that you might be impressed by 4K HDR content on that TV coming from plasma 90% of what you will watch/play will not be HDR. In the US your options are very limited and OLED is a clear choice.

The discussion about LCD being rubbish compared to Plasma was what started it all, and unfortunately it's all based on ignorance and its just following what everyone else says kind of mentality, when really they have no idea what certain types of TV can actually do. Just watch that Kuro demo for an SDR comparison.

Yes the DX doesn't exist in the US, but the Z9D does, the KS9800 does, as does the 940D/E, X90E also, to name a few.....and aside from maybe the X90E, they will look great with SDR and come fairly close to OLED, which in itself is impressive given the technology, and that's without talking HDR. Granted in the 55" category for a FALD it gets difficult, but it's all in the same price range is what im saying.

Even a good edge lit can do amazing stuff with SDR now, they employ some pretty sophisticated backlight guiding technology.

So saying you'll only be impressed by OLED coming from Plasma is bullshit quite honestly.

The discussion about LCD being rubbish compared to Plasma was what started it all, and unfortunately it's all based on ignorance and its just following what everyone else says kind of mentality, when really they have no idea what certain types of TV can actually do. Just watch that Kuro demo for an SDR comparison.

Yes the DX doesn't exist in the US, but the Z9D does, the KS9800 does, as does the 940D/E, X90E also, to name a few.....and aside from maybe the X90E, they will look great with SDR and come fairly close to OLED, which in itself is impressive given the technology, and that's without talking HDR. Granted in the 55" category for a FALD it gets difficult, but it's all in the same price range is what im saying.

Even a good edge lit can do amazing stuff with SDR now, they employ some pretty sophisticated backlight guiding technology.

So saying you'll only be impressed by OLED coming from Plasma is bullshit quite honestly.

All the options you listed are typically way more expensive than OLED (which is constantly on sale). And at best they have their own pros and cons. It's not like they are better in every single way. So although you are technically right, OLED being the best option for Plasma people is not as outlandish of assumption as you are making it out to be. The alternatives are few and expensive. (and that's even assuming that you looking at 65 inch options which most people are not)

tmdorsey

All the options you listed are typically way more expensive than OLED (which is constantly on sale). And at best they have their own pros and cons. It's not like they are better in every single way. So although you are technically right, OLED being the best option for Plasma people is not as outlandish of assumption as you are making it out to be. The alternatives are few and expensive. (and that's even assuming that you looking at 65 inch options which most people are not)

Only if you are talking about the 2016 models and even then aside from the Z9D and 940d/e (which are 75") the models he named can be found cheaper or in the same price range as the '16 OLEDs and definitely cheaper than '17 models.

Only if you are talking about the 2016 models and even then aside from the Z9D and 940d/e (which are 75") the models he named can be found cheaper or in the same price range as the '16 OLEDs and definitely cheaper than '17 models.

I got 2017 55 inch B7 for $1600 so I'm a bit biased. But Sony and Samsung options seem insanely expensive to me. Also I should have clarified that I was talking specifically about 55 inch TV. I haven't looked at 65 inch ones so I'm not really sure what's happening with those. Obviously they are even more expensive :)

The European firmware's are available online to download and you can install them manually via USB, so it doesn't matter whether the auto update function works in NL or not.
As for the input lag, with the latest FW it's abt. 28 for the B6V and 34 ms for the C6V/E6V.

Oh snap. Input lag on the B6 is actually a tad bit better? So basically except for no 3D (which i cant see anyway,lazy eye) and the slight curve there are no other differences, correct?

vpance

I got 2017 55 inch B7 for $1600 so I'm a bit biased. But Sony and Samsung options seem insanely expensive to me. Also I should have clarified that I was talking specifically about 55 inch TV. I haven't looked at 65 inch ones so I'm not really sure what's happening with those. Obviously they are even more expensive :)

That's a good price, congrats :)

65" OLED premium is too much. Not gonna pay extra for their bad manufacturing yields. For me that's where it made sense to buy one of those FALDs above, at least where I am. LG deals where so shite up here at the time.

And yeah, it's true that 90% of what most will watch now is SDR, but most of it is so poor quality and blurry anyways so no big loss :) HDR content will become common over the next 2 yrs.

Top Bottom