• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

It's rated at 21 ms, which is pretty damn good. There's a couple tvs with lower latency, but I can't see too many people having an issue with this set for gaming responsiveness. A huge improvement over last year's sets.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

so I have a old LEG LED TV, maybe 4 years old, probably the lag is around 21ms, and I have not noticed any issues, so I guess that TV should be ok for me.

Pastry

Banned
Okay so I guess I need some help as I am ignorant about a lot. I'm looking for an upgrade from my 42" 1080p to a 4K tv and TCL P607 55" caught my eye because for its price it seems to be well regarded. I would be willing to spend a bit more if it means I am future proofing myself as I will have this tv for 5-6 years. The Sony 900e 55" looks good but if I wanted to get the 65" that is a bit too expensive for me.

Is there a 65" that sits around $1000-$1200 that is considered good? Is the Sony really $600 better than the TCL?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Can anyone give me where I can find things like "comprehensive list of must own/reference 4k blu rays" that'll save me effort in terms of trawling reviews individually?

Is there a 65" that sits around $1000-$1200 that is considered good? Is the Sony really $600 better than the TCL?

I was just about to post the same question. Surely there must be some advantages to going with the Sony in this case? They both seem to have FALD(maybe the Sony has more zones?) TCL looks like it might actually have better input lag? The Sony is in the low 30s though...is that ok for gaming?

TheBoss1

Okay so I guess I need some help as I am ignorant about a lot. I'm looking for an upgrade from my 42" 1080p to a 4K tv and TCL P607 55" caught my eye because for its price it seems to be well regarded. I would be willing to spend a bit more if it means I am future proofing myself as I will have this tv for 5-6 years. The Sony 900e 55" looks good but if I wanted to get the 65" that is a bit too expensive for me.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

I was just about to post the same question. Surely there must be some advantages to going with the Sony in this case? They both seem to have FALD(maybe the Sony has more zones?) TCL looks like it might actually have better input lag? The Sony is in the low 30s though...is that ok for gaming?

The TCL is great value compared to the Sony but if you have the budget for the X900E then get it. It gets somewhat brighter, motion is better and you can use the local dimming feature in game mode, which you can't with the TCL. It defeats the purpose of having a FALD display if you can't use the very same feature to game with. The TCL has a terrifically low input lag in game mode at around 15 ms compared to the Sony at 31 ms though.

I believe the TCL has more zones but Sony has better local dimming according to RTINGS. As I said above, you can't use the local dimming in game mode on the TCL which sucks.

The input lag on the Sony should be fine unless you come from gaming on a PC monitor.

Pastry

Banned
The TCL is great value compared to the Sony but if you have the budget for the X900E then get it. It gets somewhat brighter, motion is better and you can use the local dimming feature in game mode, which you can't with the TCL. It defeats the purpose of having a FALD display if you can't use the very same feature to game with. The TCL has a terrifically low input lag in game mode at around 15 ms compared to the Sony at 31 ms though.

I know nothing about input lag, would 31 ms be noticeable in something like Battlefield 1?

I know nothing about input lag, would 31 ms be noticeable in something like Battlefield 1?

Doubtful, unless you're used to playing with sub 15 ms input lag on a good monitor (again, doubtful since you say you're not familiar with input lag in general). I have the 2016 LG B6 and it has 28 ms which is practically unnoticeable and I play a lot of competitive fps. Over 40 and I can feel significant but not detrimental delay

I believe the TCL has more zones but Sony has better local dimming according to RTINGS. As I said above, you can't use the local dimming in game mode on the TCL which sucks.

The input lag on the Sony should be fine unless you come from gaming on a PC monitor.

Oh, that is good to know. I'm not in the market for a TV right now, but might jump on one during Black Friday. If I can fit it into my budget, I will probably try for the Sony X900e. Input lag is important to me, but I can live with 30ms.

Now the other question, is how does the Sony X850e compare to the TCL and the X900e.

Mrbob

Heavenly for gaming. Or TV. Or movies. Or just looking at hanging on your wall. It's an amazing set.

Haven't tried much HDR gaming on it yet so can't speak to that. I've put about 30 hours into Far Cry 4 (finally got a gpu that can run it at 4k @ 60!) and haven't noticed any retention.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

This C7 is a monster of a tv. It excels at everything. Try out Nex Machina on Steam if you want to test a low cost HDR Pc game. I haven't had any image retention problems either.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I showed my wife the LG Wallpaper display, and even she couldn't help but admit that it was kind of incredible.

No way in the world could I even convince her we should drop $8K on a TV - especially cause she knows I'll spend just as much on sound. But if that 65" drops to sub $4,000 in the next year, it very well might be my next TV.

Can anyone give me where I can find things like "comprehensive list of must own/reference 4k blu rays" that'll save me effort in terms of trawling reviews individually?

Not sure on a total list, but number 1 should probably be Planet Earth 2, from everything I've read

This C7 is a monster of a tv. It excels at everything. Try out Nex Machina on Steam if you want to test a low cost HDR Pc game. I haven't had any image retention problems either.

I tried this on my C7 last night. Is there no setting anywhere in the game menu for HDR? I booted it up, for the first time since the update, and it just defaulted to HDR. Colors looked a bit more relaxed than I was expecting also (though I do have HDR10 set to "Cinema Home"). It didn't seem like there was a toggle anywhere in the menu?

Pastry

Banned

Okay great thank you. Do you feel that the Sony 900e will keep me relatively future proofed for 5-6 years? I understand how quick tv tech changes but all things considered. If that's the case then I'll probably spend the extra money to get the 65".

Theonik

Okay great thank you. Do you feel that the Sony 900e will keep me relatively future proofed for 5-6 years? I understand how quick tv tech changes but all things considered. If that's the case then I'll probably spend the extra money to get the 65".
I would say that's not really the case. Just spend as much money as you're comfortable to replace the set often. Having said that. You'll enjoy the better quality of the set today as you would tomorrow! P.S. X93E is much better still. Noticeably so!

Jimx26

Pacific Rim, The Revenant, Mad Max, Logan, Planet Earth 2 and The Martian would be a good start.

*Edit* Honorable mentions to Hacksaw Ridge and Billy Lynn also.

Mrbob

I tried this on my C7 last night. Is there no setting anywhere in the game menu for HDR? I booted it up, for the first time since the update, and it just defaulted to HDR. Colors looked a bit more relaxed than I was expecting also (though I do have HDR10 set to "Cinema Home"). It didn't seem like there was a toggle anywhere in the menu?

Yeah the game just auto detects and turns on HDR. Haven't tried it yet in cinema home. Though I use Cinema Home for movies. I run my games through the game modes.

It's the only game I've played so far that doesn't like custom resolution with Nvidia GPU scaling to 4K. I ran my 3200 X 1800 custom resolution and the game wouldn't scale, only show the number of pixels on screen, so like 25% of the perimeter was dark. For some reason though 1080P scales nicely to 4K and I get a full screen with Nex Machina. Wonder if this is an HDMI issue. I haven't had any problems with other games scaling from 1800P to 4K though.

Yeah the game just auto detects and turns on HDR. Haven't tried it yet in cinema home. Though I use Cinema Home for movies. I run my games through the game modes.

It's the only game I've played so far that doesn't like custom resolution with Nvidia GPU scaling to 4K. I ran my 3200 X 1800 custom resolution and the game wouldn't scale, only show the number of pixels on screen, so like 25% of the perimeter was dark. For some reason though 1080P scales nicely to 4K and I get a full screen with Nex Machina.

Same same

I tried at 3200x1800 and got the exact same result; borders. So it must not like some arbitrary resolutions for some reason. Good to know it's game specific and not my setup. Was that a problem before? I swear it ran in 1800 fullscreen before no problem...

good to know on HDR. Weird that there isn't a toggle or something.

Mrbob

Even 2560 X 1440 only shows the number of pixels on screen and that looks tiny lol. I don't know what it was before but the only resolution that scales full screen for me is 1080P (Besides native 4k). I can't hit 60FPS locked at 4K with everything turned on but even then 1080P scaling looks fine. It's a top down shooter with voxels so not like you are up close.

Not only is the screen smaller on a custom resolution, but the colors look muted as well. Maybe that's why it looked weird to you.

Even 2560 X 1440 only shows the number of pixels on screen and that looks tiny lol. I don't know what it was before but the only resolution that scales full screen for me is 1080P (Besides native 4k). I can't hit 60FPS locked at 4K with everything turned on but even then 1080P scaling looks fine. It's a top down shooter with voxels so not like you are up close.

Not only is the screen smaller on a custom resolution, but the colors look muted as well. Maybe that's why it looked weird to you.

Ahhhhhh, okay that makes sense. I was wondering why 1800p looked like ass also, but i played for maybe 30-45 mins last week (before the HDR update) so when i fired it up yesterday, it flipped on HDR, and I was like "whoa, this looks way assy" and maybe that's part of the issue.

fwiw i'm running 1080FE and can't lock 4K60 either with everything cranked. It hitches a bit here and there.

I'll have to fire it up again and see if I can tell the color diffs between 1800p and 2160p.

I cannot wait for A) better standards across PC for HDR and B) the next set up of NV cards that will hopefully get us closer to 4K on a single card.

Kudo

Do you think LG B6 would be a good choice of TV for me?
I don't really watch movies, only use of the TV would be anime (720p and 1080p) and gaming consoles (Switch and PS4 Pro). I thought the OLED would be nice for anime regardless of that it isn't 4K content, but the colours would really shine on the TV.
Any opinions on this?

JB1981

Have a question about the emphasis on LCD brightness and HDR.

I do the majority of my moviewatching at night with the lights off and I happen to hate really bright LCDs in such a setting. I turn the backlight down significantly. If this is the case then should I really worry about the amount of NITS an HDR set has? Would I be better off with OLED.

Chopini

Neo Member
Do you think LG B6 would be a good choice of TV for me?
I don't really watch movies, only use of the TV would be anime (720p and 1080p) and gaming consoles (Switch and PS4 Pro). I thought the OLED would be nice for anime regardless of that it isn't 4K content, but the colours would really shine on the TV.
Any opinions on this?

I'm really not sure since I only use my B6 for about 2 weeks. For me, B6 make anime look dim due to ABL. Anime is usually fills the screen with bright color and not to mention 16:9 fullscreen. I somehow think my old plasma is better for anime because ABL is lesser. I have no problem with game or movie but anime did not look good to me. Maybe other gaffers can help you more with anime experience.

I returned my set solely due to tint problem and that is also why I wait for 2017 oled instead.

I do the majority of my moviewatching at night with the lights off and I happen to hate really bright LCDs in such a setting. I turn the backlight down significantly. If this is the case then should I really worry about the amount of NITS an HDR set has? Would I be better off with OLED.

I'm in your boat and just bought a C7. The other benefit is due to the way OLEDs work, esp if you watch a lot at night, you get significantly better blacks and near-black detail.

Coming from owning a plasma (which was never as bright as LCD/LED), that was a big deal for me.

Mrbob

From what I've read LG redesigned ABL for 2017 OLED models and I haven't seen it kick in yet. Either that or didn't notice it. I don't have any anime to test for my C7. I have a friend who has some anime on Blu Ray I could test but not sure what to look for.

If you want peak brightness get a LCD. It'll be brighter but not have the contrast of OLED.

I'd go with OLED in the situation watching movies with the lights off. Watching in a room with lights off is a benefit for OLED.

Kudo

From what I've read LG redesigned ABL for 2017 OLED models and I haven't seen it kick in yet. Either that or didn't notice it. I don't have any anime to test for my C7. I have a friend who has some anime on Blu Ray I could test but not sure what to look for.

If you want peak brightness get a LCD. It'll be brighter but not have the contrast of OLED.

I'd go with OLED in the situation watching movies wit the lights off. Watching in a room with lights off is a benefit for OLED.

I always watch everything with lights off and have dimming curtains too.
Shame the 2017 models are so much more expensive, 1999€ here for 55".

I'd go with OLED in the situation watching movies wit the lights off.

Yeah, I believe all of the main 2017 OLEDs (LG, Sony, Panasonic) all have better handling of ABL than last year's models, same with just-above-black performance.
The new OLEDs look plenty bright to me, though to be fair they're probably brighter than most of TVs I've had for years lol. Plus the effect of having brights next to real blacks I think is especially cool with HDR to me despite the lower peak brightness. But yeah obviously you can get brighter rated LCDs and cost is a factor.

Bright (and of course dark) animated content looked really good on the A1E I've been eyeing so the 2017 LG should be great too.

Yeah, that sounds very OLED friendly.

nashman

Maybe the first post should should just be stickied

Get a B7/C7 if you can afford it. If u can't get a 900e. If can't afford that get a TCL.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Pacific Rim, The Revenant, Mad Max, Logan, Planet Earth 2 and The Martian would be a good start.

*Edit* Honorable mentions to Hacksaw Ridge and Billy Lynn also.

Thanks man, some good tips! Are there any gaf threads dedicated to rating or discussing these?

Kudo

Another choice if OLED isn't the best choice for anime would be Samsung KS8000/9000, it's bit cheaper and good reviews.
I think there was another thread for it here but anyone here have opinion?

Another choice if OLED isn't the best choice for anime would be Samsung KS8000/9000, it's bit cheaper and good reviews.

Also great sets. Probably last year's best "budget/mid tier" set. If you find one, get on it though. The KS8000 has already been replaced by the MU8000 (not as good) so if you see KS8000s at this point, they are clearence and likely not many left.

E: Also, not much diff between the 8 and 9 from my understanding

Theonik

Sony Z9D, Panasonic DX 902, Sony X94E, Panasonic EZ1002, Sony A1E, Sony X93E.
In that order tbh. Don't consider anything bellow that threshold.

Sir Pant

http://realorfake4k.com/list/

Good website to consider 4k movie purchases against. I've bought a few over the past week sand have been doing A/B comparisons to their blu-ray counterparts using my old blu ray player and my new UHD player. Notable UHD discs that I felt had major improvements based on 4k resolution and HDR were X-men: Apocalypse, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The LEGO movie.

Planet Earth II (I don't own the blu-ray also for an A/B comparison) looks GODLY on my LG 55c6p. I'm looking to buy Pacific Rim UHD still for comparison.

Chinbo37

So I'm thinking about getting a new tv and was looking at a 4k hdr model.

The only thing is that I have the following things hooked up to my current tv in my living room;

- ps4
- Wii u
- Wii w homebrew
- htpc

All of this runs through a denon x3300w.

My home theater pc is a fanless pc i built myself with a low tdp i7 4th gen.

Realistically I get the most use out of the pc. We constantly watch YouTube, movies that I rip myself from DVD or blu ray, or other internet based sources like Netflix, vimeo etc.

From my research it seems that none of my sources are hdr enabled. It seems that pc motherboards are just now starting to integrate hdr. My fanless pc doesn't have a gpu and I don't plan on adding one.

If I ever play pc games on the htpc it is through steam streaming from my gaming pc.

So just to confirm none of those sources can take advantage of hdr and realistically I would need a stand alone uhd blu ray player or similar?

Chopini

Neo Member

If you watch everything with lights off, I think OLED is a must. Nothing beats that absolute blackness. I'm still holding out until 2017 is more affordable which should not be later than this Black Friday.

Stiler

Off the top of my head,
Planet Earth 2
Hacksaw Ridge
Trolls
Despicable Me 2
John Wick 2
The Revenant
Logan
Lego Batman (Dolby Vision and HDR is supposed to be amazing on this)
La La Land
Everest
Mad Max Fury Road

A good place to help you find more:
forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203

If you can afford it OLEDs offer the best picture out there. They offer the best blacks since the led's can turn off completely and thus give you true blacks.

HDR is about contrast, not only about how "bright" and object can get but rather the difference between a dark object and brighter object, while OLED's might not get as bright as the best lcd's, likewise the lcd's can't get as dark as an oled when it comes to blacks.

So if you prefer darker images then yes, OLED will blow you away because they offer true blacks.

I had a KS8000 for a few weeks but ended up returning it because of issues with flashlighting and things.

KS8000 was good for bright HDR content but it faltered in dark scenes/movies, the fact it's edge lit and the way dimming works on the set leads to giant "pillars" of light that the set shows when it has to display say, a bright object surrounded by dark colors , you get a very noticable light going down the entire screen that , to me at least, was really annoying and distracting.

That's why I've moved to only trying FALD or OLED and not touching edge lit lcd's going forward.

geordiemp

Its even worse in £ 2300 in UK.

Torn between waiting for b7 to come down or get a b6

Nospaceinmyname

Neo Member

Some good sites were mentioned already (i.e realorfake4k.com, blu-ray.com ), but I also recommend checking out SpareChange/BrassTax on Youtube. They are usually on the money when it comes to quality of 4K transfers.

Lot's of good reviews for audio/video quality of 4K UHD Blu Ray's on their channels.

Some movies I recommend to show off your display :

Hacksaw Ridge
Life
Logan
Power Rangers (especially if you have a tv that can do Dolby Vision which this movie has)
John Wick 2
The Revenant
Despicable Me 1&2 (again if you have Dolby Vision, makes animation look incredible)
Planet Earth 2

defusal

Slightly better than the KS8000 especially build quality. I would say that the curved, you risk worse blacks or gray uniformity, so as soon as you get it, look for any irregularities. Panel lottery is alreasy big with VA LCD/LED but even more so with curved screens (non-OLED). But yeah, it is a much better television than almost all 2017 samsung televisions.

Thanks for your help decided to bite the bullet and give it a go as stock was starting to run low.

Spencaroo

Neo Member
Guys I posted before about getting the Sony Bravia A1E because I can get it at a heavy discount. The LG C7 is also on a discount currently which brings both units down to the same price. Which should I go for?!?

The Sony OLED unless you need the lower input lag of the C7.

I watch(ed) plenty of anime on both an E6 and a B7 and I have no complaints.
That's no surprise though since I use the cinema picture modes and am used to a dimmer picture.
Still undecided whether I'll settle with another E6 or a C7.

teiresias

The Sony OLED unless you need the lower input lag of the C7.

I watch(ed) plenty of anime on both an E6 and a B7 and I have no complaints.
That's no surprise though since I use the cinema picture modes and am used to a dimmer picture.
Still undecided whether I'll settle with another E6 or a C7.

I'm debating between the Sony and one of the LGs. My main concern is I think I prefer the way LG chose to tone map HDR that retains detail though it results in a darker picture whereas from what I've read Sony chose to blow out highlight details to have a brighter HDR picture (unless they've changed that with an update).

Lima

Rtings finally posted their video regarding Q7F's low brightness and how to fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s

Edit: so the issue is that the way the TV is transported during shipping might affect the light plates, reducings its effectiveness.

Edit 2: so you slam the TV to fix it FUCKING LOL Samsung

Aye lmao. This is fucking hilarious. One of the best videos about TVs ever made no doubt.

Samsung man. Let's just do it and be legends

Top Bottom