• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

I'm glad I can finally say that the weird crashing and freezing issues with my 65B6 are gone after the repair service replaced the main board.

However one thing I will definitely be paying attention to, unfortunately is retention. It's a bit ridiculous how soon retention appears on it. I can't have the Xbox dashboard or even a settings menu displayed for two minutes and I will already see the retention. It's gone very quickly however and that's good but Jesus, I never had this with the EC9300.

I'm definitely gonna take it easy with HUD heavy games. Lately I've only been playing Metro Last Light Redux and that game barely has a HUD but plenty of games do and I hope it will be OK.

Bustanen

Fellow PS4 owners...this isn't what the dual theme is supposed to look like right? That blue above the the wave is supposed to be fairly uniform no?
Looks like Dirty Screen Effect.
However one thing I will definitely be paying attention to, unfortunately is retention. It's a bit ridiculous how soon retention appears on it. I can't have the Xbox dashboard or even a settings menu displayed for two minutes and I will already see the retention. It's gone very quickly however and that's good but Jesus, I never had this with the EC9300.

I'm definitely gonna take it easy with HUD heavy games. Lately I've only been playing Metro Last Light Redux and that game barely has a HUD but plenty of games do and I hope it will be OK.
I guess this is the result of panel lottery? Haven't seen any retention at all on my 55B6.

Kyoufu

Yeah that's not normal at all. I've played all sorts of HUD heavy games in the last 12 months with no noticeable retention.

If you're getting retention after 2 minutes (?!) then something is wrong with the panel.

I've had the E6 sitting on my desktop for a couple of hours and even that wasn't enough to do anything.

tokkun

Yeah that's not normal at all. I've played all sorts of HUD heavy games in the last 12 months with no noticeable retention.

If you're getting retention after 2 minutes (?!) then something is wrong with the panel.

I've had the E6 sitting on my desktop for a couple of hours and even that wasn't enough to do anything.

What he is describing seems consistent with what I've seen from professional reviews that tested image retention. You can look at Rtings video review, which shows image retention after a few minutes even when using the anti-retention settings.

schlynch

So I think I'm going to order the Sony KD-55XE9005/X900E.... around 1.600€

Any objections or tips? Better/cheaper alternatives with the same quality? Experience with this model?

Looks like Dirty Screen Effect.

I guess this is the result of panel lottery? Haven't seen any retention at all on my 55B6.

Well I'll definitely be on the lookout for this then. My friend who has a 55C6 also has this problem.

Just now I had the Xbox dashboard on for maybe two minutes and I could see a faint shape of the boxes of the dashboard when I opened up Edge browser and looked at the blue part. It's gone very very quickly, but still.

Kyoufu

What he is describing seems consistent with what I've seen from professional reviews that tested image retention. You can look at Rtings video review, which shows image retention after a few minutes even when using the anti-retention settings.

I find this very hard to believe. Got a link?

If you said hours, sure, but minutes? What.

I just had lunch with Elite: Dangerous running on the E6 with a still image (mission board, lots of text and HUD everywhere) for like the past hour.

tokkun

I find this very hard to believe. Got a link?

If you said hours, sure, but minutes? What.

I just had lunch with Elite: Dangerous running on the E6 with a still image (mission board, lots of text and HUD everywhere) for like the past hour.

From the C7 review, which they said had less image retention than the 6-series:

https://youtu.be/zYk9qg3rd_c?t=2m51s

It's less common to notice IR on OLED than on plasma due to the fact that it does not show up on black screens when the pixels are turned off. IR is easiest to see on solid-color images that aren't too bright, and black screens are by far the most frequent solid-color image to display (e.g. loading screens, switching inputs) so that is where you often see it with plasma.

A lot of people on AVSForum say they can see IR from the Netflix app's loading screen, and that is only up for a matter of seconds. It's probably because you go from a high-contrast red & white logo to a UI that has a lot of flat grey elements.

Ushay

So I think I'm going to order the Sony KD-55XE9005/X900E.... around 1.600€

Any objections or tips? Better/cheaper alternatives with the same quality? Experience with this model?

I'm going for the 49 Inch variant. Impressions are very good for its price range.

Kyoufu

From the C7 review, which they said had less image retention than the 6-series:

https://youtu.be/zYk9qg3rd_c?t=2m51s

It's less common to notice IR on OLED than on plasma due to the fact that it does not show up on black screens when the pixels are turned off. IR is easiest to see on solid-color images that aren't too bright, and black screens are by far the most frequent solid-color image to display (e.g. loading screens, switching inputs) so that is where you often see it with plasma.

A lot of people on AVSForum say they can see IR from the Netflix app's loading screen, and that is only up for a matter of seconds. It's probably because you go from a high-contrast red & white logo to a UI that has a lot of flat grey elements.

Interesting. Yeah I've seen some IR after loading up Netflix, especially after watching CNN for a while with that CNN logo on all the time, but yeah, it goes in seconds, but that's the only time I ever notice any IR is with a black, grey or white screen shift. Does anyone actually notice IR during normal content?

Norse

Is there a break-in period for OLED displays? Back in the day they recommended 300 hrs of break-in viewing on plasmas. Just leave the TV on while asleep. Preferably on a channel without static images or scoreboards.

Interesting. Yeah I've seen some IR after loading up Netflix, especially after watching CNN for a while with that CNN logo on all the time, but yeah, it goes in seconds, but that's the only time I ever notice any IR is with a black, grey or white screen shift. Does anyone actually notice IR during normal content?

I have YouTube on for barely two minutes and the boxes are clearly visible as retention. Way too clear for my liking. I haven't really tested it with games yet but I definitely soon will.

Is there a break-in period for OLED displays? Back in the day they recommended 300 hrs of break-in viewing on plasmas. Just leave the TV on while asleep. Preferably on a channel without static images or scoreboards.

Yeah I wonder about that too. Hopefully it gets better after those hours. I don't get it why it's happening. Never had it with the EC9300.

Dave_6

This may not exactly apply to this thread but it is pretty big for the UHD market. Looks like Disney is finally going to release UHD discs starting with GotG 2:
34873927534_9b28755408_o.png

Dolby Atmos seems to be confirmed and I imagine Dolby Vision will be used on all their releases too.

Courtesy of this thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=293790

Wiped89

This may not exactly apply to this thread but it is pretty big for the UHD market. Looks like Disney is finally going to release UHD discs starting with GotG 2:

Dolby Atmos seems to be confirmed and I imagine Dolby Vision will be used on all their releases too.

And now the choice is made that much harder. Marvel is one of the last big players releasing great 3D blurays. I actually prefer 3D to 4K on my OLED.

If there was an ultimate bluray with 3D + 4K, that would be killer.

Stiler

When is the best time to purchase a new tv? I'm fairly patient so I'm willing to wait. I'm interested in the Samsung MU8000. Is there a way to track tvs and wait for a sale?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVH9T2D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Black Friday and after Christmas are usually when tv prices drop.

As far as tracking prices, I would suggest using slickdeals and adding an alert for the tv model, might even snag a deal before Black Friday if you're lucky.

J-Rzez

When is the best time to purchase a new tv? I'm fairly patient so I'm willing to wait. I'm interested in the Samsung MU8000. Is there a way to track tvs and wait for a sale?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVH9T2D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Typically end of Nov (black Friday week) and you should look at a Sony 900E instead.

Disney releasing 4k/UHD? Day one? And not announced 2-6 months later than regular edition to nail that double or triple dip into consumer wallets? Ill believe it when I see it.

defusal

Thinking of picking up a 49" KS9000 (KS9500 in the US) as its on offer. Wouldn't normally go for a curved TV but the standard ones have already gone. From what I have been reading Samsung 2016 models are still regarded as higher than 2017 models and this model was not originally recommended as it was way more than the KS7000 (KS8000 in US). Now though the KS7000 is completely gone and this is now selling at the same price that was.

Does anyone have any experience with this TV?

Oh hell yes! Great news, please be real and officially confirmed soon.
Will definitely pick that up immediately.

Mrbob

Whether that image is real or fake, GoTG2 has been rumored to be the first Disney 4K UHD movie for awhile because James Gunn has been pushing for 4K UHD release:

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/james-gunn-wants-guardians-galaxy-2-4k-release-video

More importantly from that thread, there are rumors of future Disney 4k UHD releases:

pottyaboutpotter1 blu ray forum said:
According to rumours Disney's UHD releases for the rest of 2017 are;
Beauty and the Beast, Cars 3, Doctor Strange, Moana, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Kyoufu

I have YouTube on for barely two minutes and the boxes are clearly visible as retention. Way too clear for my liking. I haven't really tested it with games yet but I definitely soon will.

Yeah I wonder about that too. Hopefully it gets better after those hours. I don't get it why it's happening. Never had it with the EC9300.

Weird, mate. Very weird. From my own personal experience with the E6, these panels shouldn't have noticeable retention after only a couple of minutes and I doubt it's a panel lottery thing. Never heard of a panel lottery for IR x_x

e90Mark

Whether that image is real or fake, GoTG2 has been rumored to be the first Disney 4K UHD movie for awhile because James Gunn has been pushing for 4K UHD release:

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/james-gunn-wants-guardians-galaxy-2-4k-release-video

More importantly from that thread, there are rumors of future Disney 4k UHD releases:

I almost kind of hope it's not true, cause I'd have to rebuy 4 of those for UHD. I'm a big Disney fan, unfortunately. Good and bad news for me.

Mrbob

So is the firmware upgrade for the C7 safe? I read some things about screwing up HDR on the pc input with the firmware update but I run everything via hdmi to my receiver and then to HDMI one on my TV.

Madness

Thinking of picking up a 49" KS9000 (KS9500 in the US) as its on offer. Wouldn't normally go for a curved TV but the standard ones have already gone. From what I have been reading Samsung 2016 models are still regarded as higher than 2017 models and this model was not originally recommended as it was way more than the KS7000 (KS8000 in US). Now though the KS7000 is completely gone and this is now selling at the same price that was.

Does anyone have any experience with this TV?

Slightly better than the KS8000 especially build quality. I would say that the curved, you risk worse blacks or gray uniformity, so as soon as you get it, look for any irregularities. Panel lottery is alreasy big with VA LCD/LED but even more so with curved screens (non-OLED). But yeah, it is a much better television than almost all 2017 samsung televisions.

MrJames

And now the choice is made that much harder. Marvel is one of the last big players releasing great 3D blurays. I actually prefer 3D to 4K on my OLED.

If there was an ultimate bluray with 3D + 4K, that would be killer.

Best Buy Canada had a few different versions up for pre-order a few weeks ago. They were quickly removed but one was a 3D + 4K steelbook. We should know next Tuesday.

Ok so my girlfriends set on the 65" LG C7. Its 3200$ at bestbuy. I really didn't want to spend that much on a new TV. But we spent almost 3K 6 years ago on the TV we have right now and it was worth the price.

How's this TV for gaming? How's HDR on this set? Is image retention that bad? I'm about to bite the bullet on this bad boy but is there any other set at this price range that is better?

Ok so my girlfriends set on the 65" LG C7. Its 3200$ at bestbuy. I really didn't want to spend that much on a new TV. But we spent almost 3K 6 years ago on the TV we have right now and it was worth the price.

How's this TV for gaming? How's HDR on this set? Is image retention that bad? I'm about to bite the bullet on this bad boy but is there any other set at this price range that is better?

Heavenly for gaming. Or TV. Or movies. Or just looking at hanging on your wall. It's an amazing set.

Haven't tried much HDR gaming on it yet so can't speak to that. I've put about 30 hours into Far Cry 4 (finally got a gpu that can run it at 4k @ 60!) and haven't noticed any retention.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Heavenly for gaming. Or TV. Or movies. Or just looking at hanging on your wall. It's an amazing set.

Haven't tried much HDR gaming on it yet so can't speak to that. I've put about 30 hours into Far Cry 4 (finally got a gpu that can run it at 4k @ 60!) and haven't noticed any retention.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Ya just seems like if I'm gonna move into 4K and have a set for the next 5 years. I might as well get into the OLED game.

Haint

Being you're talking about 6+ year investment, someone has to point out there is a significantly new HDMI spec coming supposedly next year with some very important features. Namely Dynamic HDR10 (upgrades HDR10 to feature parity with Dolby Vision), 120Hz 4K support, and a variable refresh rate gaming mode (i.e. Freesync/Gsync). What is unknown is how many of these features (if any) next year's C8 will actually include, it's a gamble.

Ya just seems like if I'm gonna move into 4K and have a set for the next 5 years. I might as well get into the OLED game.

My TV path has been interesting.

In 2015 I got LG's EF9500 after they dropped in price. OLED picture quality was jaw dropping, but since I mostly play video games the input lag, at around 50ish ms, was killer. The image quality was unreal, but I never enjoyed playing games on it. So I got rid of it and went with Samsung's FALD JS9500. The input lag was great, at about 23 ms, but for some stupid reason Samsung LOVES curved sets and after about 2 months I got sick of having a bent tv. Plus, even though FALD is a great band aid for LCD's problems, once you get a taste of OLED's goodness it's impossible to go back. I went about 7 months without a TV waiting for LG's 2016 offerings, and when the E6 had an advertised input lag of 34 ms I bought back in. The input lag was better, and I was able to play a whole lot of Odin's Sphere, Uncharted, Horizon, and Zelda...but I when I wanted to play games with a mouse/keyboard, or anything on PC with Vsync on, it became noticeably laggy. So when this year's OLEDs came out with a blistering fast 21 ms input lag I sold off my E6 real quick and got a C7. I don't regret it for a second. The input lag is every so slightly noticeable, but the reality is that TVs don't really get much faster that this.

Summary: Once you've had an OLED you can't go back. It's a HUGE jump in quality compared to anything else on the market.

Fowler

My TV path has been interesting.

In 2015 I got LG's EF9500 after they dropped in price. OLED picture quality was jaw dropping, but since I mostly play video games the input lag, at around 50ish ms, was killer. The image quality was unreal, but I never enjoyed playing games on it. So I got rid of it and went with Samsung's FALD JS9500. The input lag was great, at about 23 ms, but for some stupid reason Samsung LOVES curved sets and after about 2 months I got sick of having a bent tv. Plus, even though FALD is a great band aid for LCD's problems, once you get a taste of OLED's goodness it's impossible to go back. I went about 7 months without a TV waiting for LG's 2016 offerings, and when the E6 had an advertised input lag of 34 ms I bought back in. The input lag was better, and I was able to play a whole lot of Odin's Sphere, Uncharted, Horizon, and Zelda...but I when I wanted to play games with a mouse/keyboard, or anything on PC with Vsync on, it became noticeably laggy. So when this year's OLEDs came out with a blistering fast 21 ms input lag I sold off my E6 real quick and got a C7. I don't regret it for a second. The input lag is every so slightly noticeable, but the reality is that TVs don't really get much faster that this.

Summary: Once you've had an OLED you can't go back. It's a HUGE jump in quality compared to anything else on the market.

Thanks for this. I just pulled the trigger on the Sony A1E yesterday, so now every thread about burn-in or screen warping or other problems is freaking me out, haha.

I get the TV on Saturday, super excited!!

Jigolo

There's been a few TVs with 15ms of input lag or less this year. More than I've ever seen in year for TVs in fact. LG had one of them and I hope they bring this to their flagships next year

Thanks for this. I just pulled the trigger on the Sony A1E yesterday, so now every thread about burn-in or screen warping or other problems is freaking me out, haha.

I get the TV on Saturday, super excited!!

Awesome! While I can't speak for that set as I've never seen it, I'm sure it's killer. The first thing I did when I got my OLED was go back through a bunch of my old PS4 games. It sounds absurd, but going from a traditional LCD/Plasma to an OLED is like a generational jump in graphics. It makes games, old and new, look so so so good.

That said, I have a question for C7 owners regarding HDR gaming. What settings are you using for games? I ask because I finally tried with this set and at first glance I'm pretty disappointed. I tried Ratchet and Clank, switching between HDR Game mode and Standard Game mode, and have to say that I find standard much more impressive. The colors are bright, vibrant...and in HDR everything becomes muted in comparison.

I'm assuming some setting is off perhaps?

so what is the verdict on LG OLED Tvs for gaming? have they fixed the input lag, or should I stay away from OLED?

Not to be a dick, and I know that jumping into a thread this long is a bit overwhelming, but try reading the last couple pages...or my posts on this very page. Those sets are being discussed right now.

Top Bottom