• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

NYR

KCnCqI

Metfanant

Okay great thank you. Do you feel that the Sony 900e will keep me relatively future proofed for 5-6 years? I understand how quick tv tech changes but all things considered. If that's the case then I'll probably spend the extra money to get the 65".

IMO, HDMI 2.1 is the elephant in the room in regards to future proofing right now, not any of the other specs...

In terms of just picture quality or performance, there are many TV's...from the new TCLs, to the Vizio M and P series, all the way up to the cutting edge OLED's that will offer you awesome PQ that will still look GREAT 6-7 years from now...

While OBVIOUSLY, the ridiculous resolutions that are part of the 2.1 spec are just that...ridiculous...and there will be no content, or consumer panels using those resolutions for years...the fact that HDMI 2.1 opens up such an incredible mount of bandwidth...I am very interested to see what 2018 sets may have in store for us...

I've been rocking a 67" Samsung 1080p LED DLP since just before Samsung discontinued their DLP production...so I know what it's like to keep a set for a LONG time...I've been very close to pulling the trigger on the 65" P series a few times now, but I think at this point I can wait until we see what the 2018 sets are bringing to the table...

J-Rzez

Have a question about the emphasis on LCD brightness and HDR.

I do the majority of my moviewatching at night with the lights off and I happen to hate really bright LCDs in such a setting. I turn the backlight down significantly. If this is the case then should I really worry about the amount of NITS an HDR set has? Would I be better off with OLED.

OLED, easily.

J-Rzez

Do we know if current OLED TVs will hold up after a few years of use in comparison to LCD?

People running the OG 1080p models sets are running fine, let alone ones manufactured from the EG9600 to present. My EF9500 is still running flawless for my friend that bought it.

Do we know if current OLED TVs will hold up after a few years of use in comparison to LCD?

People running the OG 1080p models sets are running fine, let alone ones manufactured from the EG9600 to present. My EF9500 is still running flawless for my friend that bought it.

Yup. Buddy has a 9500. Runs great.

That is so embarrassing holy shit.

Just watched the video. Amazing. Drop your tv for more nits. Incredible.

torontoml

I understand Dolby Vision is a new HDR technology with an extremely limited amount of content and actual sources right now. How long or will it become more prevalent.

Madness

Rtings finally posted their video regarding Q7F's low brightness and how to fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s

Edit: so the issue is that the way the TV is transported during shipping might affect the light plates, reducings its effectiveness.

Edit 2: so you slam the TV to fix it FUCKING LOL Samsung

What a surprise. More quality control issues from Samsung. Just horrendous. They are all marketing and hype at this point. If I didn't get my KS8000 at such a good price, I would have just done either LG OLED or Sony flagship LED etc. You would think after exploding phones and back panels melting off, they would ensure proper qc. Slam your $1500 dollar tv a few times hard to get better nit brightness, just insane. Rtings shouldn't have done that demo. You really risk ruining the panel and motherboard like that. But you know a lot of people with this model will do exactly that even if they stated you could void your warranty.

Mrbob

Samsung wanted 60% of the premium hdtv market share this year too. I don't think that is happening with their tv issues alongside oled dropping in price.

I would not be shocked if they lost market share this year.

JG5253

Pacific Rim, The Revenant, Mad Max, Logan, Planet Earth 2 and The Martian would be a good start.

*Edit* Honorable mentions to Hacksaw Ridge and Billy Lynn also.
I see John wick chapter 2 and X-men Apocalypse in this list too.. Blu-ray.com is a good place

JarrodL

Looking at buying LG OLED 55" C7, a bit worried about the static image retention reports.

Any current owners here, how big of a problem is this going to be if I intend to use it as a PC monitor among other things (with the desktop and windows taskbar displayed for prolonged periods, etc.)?

Looking at buying LG OLED 55" C7, a bit worried about the static image retention reports.

Any current owners here, how big of a problem is this going to be if I intend to use it as a PC monitor among other things (with the desktop and windows taskbar displayed for prolonged periods, etc.)?

I run the pixel refresher after I'm done using the tv with my pc and clears everything up every time. Can't speak for other people though.

65C7 here.

Have only had mine for a month, but I play probably 85% PC, 15% PS4. I play lots of overwatch and I probably have tenish hours into the new diablo ex pac (tons of static HUD elements).

I have yet to see any image retention at all. Tbf, I'm in games 90% of the time, not really leaving it on the static desktop. But I also had burn in on my plasma of the overwatch HUD. None so far on the C7

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Is there anything recommended vs a 55-60inch Visio M Series? Any better bang for your buck, or something a bit more expensive that will deliver much more?

Its for my mom so it won't be under a ton of scrutiny. Just a good image and features for the old lady.

65C7 here.

Have only had mine for a month, but I play probably 85% PC, 15% PS4. I play lots of overwatch and I probably have tenish hours into the new diablo ex pac (tons of static HUD elements).

I have yet to see any image retention at all. Tbf, I'm in games 90% of the time, not really leaving it on the static desktop. But I also had burn in on my plasma of the overwatch HUD. None so far on the C7

My previous TV was a 2008 Panasonic plasma, and that definitely showed image retention (not burn in), so I feel like I know what to look for. I've had nothing with OLED after about a year testing out 3 different models.

I mean, the vita is an oled screen, right? And so is my note 5. If OLED was bad tech then those would have suffered from it as well...no?

Mrbob

Is there anything recommended vs a 55-60inch Visio M Series? Any better bang for your buck, or something a bit more expensive that will deliver much more?

Its for my mom so it won't be under a ton of scrutiny. Just a good image and features for the old lady.
The Sony X700D if all she is mostly using it for TV watching.

zeeaykay

I've been reading on the AVS Forum (which is a dangerous place to go if you don't want to be aware of your tv's flaws) about the ABL on the C7 negatively affecting gaming. Then again the thread someone created here the other day was lauding their C7 for gaming. I'm thinking about taking the plunge later this year, was just curious if any other C7 owners have impressions or experience to add regarding game mode performance.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anything I can do with my OLED C6 to help with over saturated color in game mode?

So I hadn't really noticed this issue before as the I don't game too much anymore on the TV, and what I was playing recently was games that were very dark and, had naturally muted colors. That was fine.

However, I started to play Crash Bandicoot and it just seems like the colors are too over-saturated in Game Mode compared to the Expert Dark Room.
I do realize that one Color Gamut option is different in this mode and can't be changed, but the difference is almost too much.

Theonik

Anything I can do with my OLED C6 to help with over saturated color in game mode?

So I hadn't really noticed this issue before as the I don't game too much anymore on the TV, and what I was playing recently was games that were very dark and, had naturally muted colors. That was fine.

However, I started to play Crash Bandicoot and it just seems like the colors are too over-saturated in Game Mode compared to the Expert Dark Room.
I do realize that one Color Gamut option is different in this mode and can't be changed, but the difference is almost too much.
Sadly LG disables part of their CMS functionality for game mode for both the X6 and X7 sets. X7 sets have the option to get similar latency on PC mode though which does allow you to get accurate colours. This doesn't appear to be on the horizon to fix.

The reason that's bad is the LG's WRGB displays have incorrect colours natively so need to adjust colours in the CMS to get accurate display. Colours also tend to drift depending on how bright the image is getting as well.

Alright dudes and dudettes

Who's using an AVR with HDMI with their X6 or X7 LG OLEDs? Any issues at all related to AVRs?

I'm likely picking up an Anthem AVM 60 this weekend and have my fingers crossed for minimal issues.... It should be good for 4:4:4 support and most everything else you'd want in 2017, with the exception being Dolby Vision support (which I believe is supposed to be coming in firmware at some point...)

Wondering if anyone has any unique issues I haven't thought through...

Yup. Biggest annoyance with the 2016 and 2017 OLED models for me. I still game in Game Mode even with the Wide gamut option locked, but knock down the Color setting from 50 to 45. It helps a bit and I'd rather have the lower input lag than correct colors. There is a petition for this that barely anyone has signed, so maybe posting it here will help it gain some interest.

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electro...-color-gamut-in-sdr-game-mode-on-lg-oled-tv-s

Alright dudes and dudettes

Who's using an AVR with HDMI with their X6 or X7 LG OLEDs? Any issues at all related to AVRs?

I'm likely picking up an Anthem AVM 60 this weekend and have my fingers crossed for minimal issues.... It should be good for 4:4:4 support and most everything else you'd want in 2017, with the exception being Dolby Vision support (which I believe is supposed to be coming in firmware at some point...)

Wondering if anyone has any unique issues I haven't thought through...

I'm using a much cheaper receiver (Onkyo TX-NR555), but haven't had any issues so far. The LG 2016 OLEDs don't support Dolby Atmos over ARC, so you may want to go with a 2017 model if that's a deal-breaker.

Hey look... another petition opportunity!

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-dolby-atmos-and-dd-over-hdmi-arc-for-2016-lg-oled-tv

Yup. Biggest annoyance with the 2016 and 2017 OLED models for me. I still game in Game Mode even with the Wide gamut option locked, but knock down the Color setting from 50 to 45. It helps a bit and I'd rather have the lower input lag than correct colors. There is a petition for this that barely anyone has signed, so maybe posting it here will help it gain some interest.

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electro...-color-gamut-in-sdr-game-mode-on-lg-oled-tv-s

I'm using a much cheaper receiver (Onkyo TX-NR555), but haven't had any issues so far. The LG 2016 OLEDs don't support Dolby Atmos over ARC, so you may want to go with a 2017 model if that's a deal-breaker.

Hey look... another petition opportunity!

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-dolby-atmos-and-dd-over-hdmi-arc-for-2016-lg-oled-tv

Actually already have a C7, so I should be good on the TV side.

My previous TV was a 2008 Panasonic plasma, and that definitely showed image retention (not burn in), so I feel like I know what to look for. I've had nothing with OLED after about a year testing out 3 different models.

I mean, the vita is an oled screen, right? And so is my note 5. If OLED was bad tech then those would have suffered from it as well...no?

Ditto, I think my Panny plasma was a 2010.

I've bee playing a LOT of overwatch at night (3-4 hrs) and our Analogue NT for NES games and it seems fine so far. Far less retention than the plasma so far.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should get a 4K set. In a weird place where I can afford one (thanks GameStop!), but unsure if I should pull the trigger or wait for better deals around the holidays or maybe even longer. I've got a Pro now (thanks again, GameStop), and my 65" Vizio D series looks amazing paired with it. Not to mention, I can't afford a true HDR monitor bigger than 55", and I've gotten so used to 65", getting something smaller than that seems odd. So maybe I play the waiting game.

Shame, I found the 55" KS8000 for about $900, seems like a good deal. Decisions…

Sadly LG disables part of their CMS functionality for game mode for both the X6 and X7 sets. X7 sets have the option to get similar latency on PC mode though which does allow you to get accurate colours. This doesn't appear to be on the horizon to fix.

The reason that's bad is the LG's WRGB displays have incorrect colours natively so need to adjust colours in the CMS to get accurate display. Colours also tend to drift depending on how bright the image is getting as well.

Is there any downside to using PC mode? I seem to remember there being one mentioned but am not sure.

Kambing

If you have a 2017 LG OLED, for SDR content there is zero benefit to using input 'Game' and or using 'Game' for picture mode. The way to go is label the input PC, and use either ISF Expert 1/2. You are not locked to wide color gamut, have the ability to actually calibrate the display and still get that kick ass 21 ms of input lag.

EDIT: How could I forget about getting full chroma support as well...

Rtings finally posted their video regarding Q7F's low brightness and how to fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s

Edit: so the issue is that the way the TV is transported during shipping might affect the light plates, reducings its effectiveness.

Edit 2: so you slam the TV to fix it FUCKING LOL Samsung

If SNL tried to do a skit about this they would not be able to match these guys! LOL

Also, who knew that TV reviews can be so funny!!! :)

JB1981

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should get a 4K set. In a weird place where I can afford one (thanks GameStop!), but unsure if I should pull the trigger or wait for better deals around the holidays or maybe even longer. I've got a Pro now (thanks again, GameStop), and my 65" Vizio D series looks amazing paired with it. Not to mention, I can't afford a true HDR monitor bigger than 55", and I've gotten so used to 65", getting something smaller than that seems odd. So maybe I play the waiting game.

Shame, I found the 55" KS8000 for about $900, seems like a good deal. Decisions…

Can I ask where?

If you have a 2017 LG OLED, for SDR content there is zero benefit to using input 'Game' and or using 'Game' for picture mode. The way to go is label the input PC, and use either ISF Expert 1/2. You are not locked to wide color gamut, have the ability to actually calibrate the display and still get that kick ass 21 ms of input lag.

But you lose the ability to turn on 24hz judder free playback

zeeaykay

I just found out my Yamaha A-660 receiver which I bought a few months ago doesn't support Dolby Vision. I'm somewhat confused by this ARC concept but as I understand it connecting the Xbox one x directly to the t.v. (C7) via ARC is fine it even desirable? And I'll be able to control the receiver volume with my t.v. remote?

Pastry

Banned
I've made up my mind that I'll be getting the Sony x900e this weekend. I'm pretty fucking stoked since right now I have a budget 1080p tv that I got 5 years ago. Next weekend I'll trade my PS4 in for a PS4 pro.

I just found out my Yamaha A-660 receiver which I bought a few months ago doesn't support Dolby Vision. I'm somewhat confused by this ARC concept but as I understand it connecting the Xbox one x directly to the t.v. (C7) via ARC is fine it even desirable? And I'll be able to control the receiver volume with my t.v. remote?

Yup, you'll be fine.

Only thing you'd be potentially missing is ATMOS, which the One S supports, but I don't suppose you have two or four ceiling speakers you were planning to use for that?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I just tried this out and it actually didn't take effect until I changed the icon to the PC icon too (shown here):
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

I've made up my mind that I'll be getting the Sony x900e this weekend. I'm pretty fucking stoked since right now I have a budget 1080p tv that I got 5 years ago. Next weekend I'll trade my PS4 in for a PS4 pro.

Awesome man. I am getting close to doing the very same thing. The TCL sounds pretty nice, but I think I will end up going for the x900e.

Check in again with impressions!

Macaco84

Question for anyone with a sony xe90. What is your hdmi video range setting for hdr games/movies. Mine defaults to "limited" when playing hdr games on the ps4 pro. Is this correct? Although I swear the blacks are deeper on this setting with hdr content compared with the "full" setting...

All my ps4 display output settings are set to auto.

Top Bottom