• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

how bad is the image retention on lg oled tv's?

It's noticeable after static images sit for a minute but quickly disappears. I don't find it to be a problem at all in normal gaming and movie viewing. Any burn-in complaints I've seen come from open-box items that were used as floor models. I'd stay away from those.

Holy shit yall

Horizon ZD looks incredible on PS4P on the C7.

I played the whole thing in March before I got the new set and thought it looked great but the checkerboarding + hdr just looks incredible.

Good things to come for death stranding I would assume

Holy shit yall

Horizon ZD looks incredible on PS4P on the C7.

I played the whole thing in March before I got the new set and thought it looked great but the checkerboarding + hdr just looks incredible.

Good things to come for death stranding I would assume
It's incredible in 4K and HDR.

Pasedo

Quantum dot LCDs are standard fare for the last couple of years or so. This is just a marketing move by Samsung.

But isnt everything marketing? Theres a group of people out there who tell you Oled is better most likely influenced by Oled manufacturers. When it comes down to it side by side both screens look absolutely beautiful. Personally i still prefer the detail and vibrancy of Samsung screens over a slight edge of contrast from Oled but it all comes down to whose marketing you believe.

Maybe if you're uninformed.
Marketing plays no role when I buy a TV, only test results by well respected sites and impressions by known users.

III-V

But isnt everything marketing? Theres a group of people out there who tell you Oled is better most likely influenced by Oled manufacturers. When it comes down to it side by side both screens look absolutely beautiful. Personally i still prefer the detail and vibrancy of Samsung screens over a slight edge of contrast from Oled but it all comes down to whose marketing you believe.

Yes, marketing plays the spin, but there is actual technology behind this.

Mrbob

There are scientific tests being done on these TVs now. Marketing is only one aspect. Objectively the Sony X930E and X940E are better tvs than the Samsung Q7F/Q9F line, so Samsung doesn't even offer the best in the premium LCD market (Without considering the Z9D). Heck even the X900e has better black uniformity and local dimming than the Samsung Q7F/Q9F, and it's like 1000 to 1500 cheaper. We haven't even reached the comparisons with the OLED tvs yet either which are another step above.

There are good reasons to get a LCD TV. OLED is still expensive, and LCDs are still really good tvs with arguably the two tvs with the best bang for buck being LCD (TCL P607 and Sony X900e). However the Samsung Q7F./Q9F are priced to go up against the top end, not mid tier. Outside of wanting peak brightness, I see the Samsung 2017 TV line as a hard sell. Seems like there is a better option than Samsung at every price level. Which is a far cry from last year when the KS8000/9000 were considered at the top of every list. You can buy a 2017 Samsung TV and be happy, they are still good TVs. But there are legitimate reasons people aren't as enthused with Samsungs 2017 line and it isn't because of marketing.

It would be marketing if it wasn't true, but OLED tvs are far and away the best looking tvs right now. Not up for debate.

Kambing

As long as YOU prefer the look of the Samsung, everything else is irrelevant right? Get the one you prefer. Having said that, what I'd like to share with you is that displays are made to adhere to standards. This standard is called video standard compliance. Everything that a display outputs can be measured and valued. How dark it is, light output, what shade of red, green, blue, the input lag etc. When a legitimate outlet reviews a TV, they use empirical evidence to judge it against a defined standard.

Why is this important in video/tv? Because if colors aren't standardized, people don't get to consume content as the creator intended. Without standards in color, how can people be sure that the shade of red they are seeing on screen is the red intended by the director? This applies to a myriad of aspects in the display.

Point being is that the OLED's excel at displaying content as defined in the video standard compliance. So much so that when I had mine calibrated, the calibrator shard with me a lot of post houses are using OLED's for master/client display. But again, this is all irrelevant if you don't prefer a picture that adheres to a set standard. Not a good or bad thing, you should really get the one you like... but hopefully this explains why OLED's are more than just marketing

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but do you guys think this is burn-in on my C6?

Hozqq3s.jpg

slNpCyM.jpg

I bought it as a display from Best Buy and, even though I checked to make sure there wasn't any, I obviously completely missed this. It's really only apparent on certain colors (red and green mostly), but I'm finding it really distracting during certain scenes now.

I've tried running the Clear Noise function three times now, but I can't really tell that it has helped any. I got a solid deal on the tv, but I'm worried I may just have to take it back. Any suggestions of other things I could try?

Mrbob

Your best option might be to contact LG to get that uniformity issue fixed under warranty.

Otherwise I'd take it back.

dsk1210

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but do you guys think this is burn-in on my C6?

Hozqq3s.jpg

slNpCyM.jpg

I bought it as a display from Best Buy and, even though I checked to make sure there wasn't any, I obviously completely missed this. It's really only apparent on certain colors (red and green mostly), but I'm finding it really distracting during certain scenes now.

I've tried running the Clear Noise function three times now, but I can't really tell that it has helped any. I got a solid deal on the tv, but I'm worried I may just have to take it back. Any suggestions of other things I could try?

Can see the LG logo on the red and the green is just a mess, never a good idea to buy a display oled as they are usually run on torch mode with a limited display change.

That needs replaced dude.

I'm about to go purchase a new TV thanks to the Best Buy laptop trade in promotion. Has Vizio had anymore problems with the PS4 HDCP issue? I remember reading that Vizio and LG TVs we're having issues with it, but fixed via firmware updates.

So far, my choices have narrowed to Sony, Samsung, or Vizio from 43-49 inches.

J-Rzez

When people say their room is bright, I think they overestimate how bright it is. You need a lot of ambient light to impact. I have two bay windows, one to the left, and one directly on the other wall from the tv,and my A1E has no issues what so ever. Maybe if they had skylights, lamps on during the day, and floor to ceiling windows sure.

There is a reason why Samsung's aren't considered by enthusiasts for a high level tv this year, aka QLED. They are vastly overpriced for what you get.

I still stand that if you can't afford a OLED, then just get a 900E. If you need a 75" then buy a 900E or especially 940E.

When is the value electronics shootout this year?

EDIT: July 12th... Not far off huh?

Theonik

Any light will significantly affect TV performance as well as any source in the room for reflections including brightly coloured clothes on viewers. You need to compensate for the room either way but that's not why the LCDs are at an advantage in HDR. Simply put you need to get really bright to resolve high detail in specular highlights.

dsk1210

Any light will significantly affect TV performance as well as any source in the room for reflections including brightly coloured clothes on viewers. You need to compensate for the room either way but that's not why the LCDs are at an advantage in HDR. Simply put you need to get really bright to resolve high detail in specular highlights.

That's cool for one person in a sweet spot, try a few people spread out at different angles with any LCD.

Theonik

That's cool for one person in a sweet spot, try a few people spread out at different angles with any LCD.
The LG OLED has pretty bad viewing angles as well thanks to the WRGB pixel arrangement though not necessarily as bad as a VA LCD panel, though it's off angle viewing problems are more noticeable.

You shouldn't be using a TV off-angle anyway. Having said that Samsung's QLED is much worse than other LCDs thanks to their new subpixel arrangement.

BumRush

The LG OLED has pretty bad viewing angles as well thanks to the WRGB pixel arrangement though not necessarily as bad as a VA LCD panel, though it's off angle viewing problems are more noticeable.

You shouldn't be using a TV off-angle anyway. Having said that Samsung's QLED is much worse than other LCDs thanks to their new subpixel arrangement.

Big, wide viewing rooms usually equate to mandatory off angle for some. It's an incredibly important factor to a lot of folks (myself included)

Theonik

Big, wide viewing rooms usually equate to mandatory off angle for some. It's an incredibly important factor to a lot of folks (myself included)
I understand that and it's quite important.
But no television at the moment delivers adequate viewing in those conditions. LG OLED likes to change to blue off angle which can be incredibly distracting. My only real suggestion is to keep that thought in mind when choosing the correct size TV for your room and its placement as well as adjust your seating accordingly, it might seem annoying but it's the only solution for off-screen viewing.

dsk1210

Oled has fantastic off angle viewing, i can go almost 90 degrees off angle and it only a slight tint of yellow on white.

Pasedo

Thanks guys. Awesome responses. Ok so im actually in market for a TV and ill admit i liked Samsungs QLed screens vs what i was seeing on oled screens. Guess i was looking for more validation that if i went for qled id be making the right choice although ive heard about the supremacy of oled panels. Samsung manufacturer there own stuff surely theres some technical magic going on with their qled screens that makes me believe its a better picture. In technical terms does anyone know what they are and how it compares to oled?

Lima

You know what had amazing viewing angles? Plasmas. Still bitter the technology couldn't be improved further without huge increases to power consumption.

Theonik

Oled has fantastic off angle viewing, i can go almost 90 degrees off angle and it only a slight tint of yellow on white.
Somehow I think we have different definitions of 'fantastic' if it means to you that coloured tints to the display fit the bill.

You know what had amazing viewing angles? Plasmas. Still bitter the technology couldn't be improved further without huge increases to power consumption.
I mean, RGB OLED can hit comparable viewing angles, but were too expensive to make in larger sizes while still having usable brightness/panel life.
Plasmas also get much better motion than either LCDs or OLEDs but I never could get over the dithering on these sets. Panasonic's sets especially.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
So I got my LG C6 today and my Xbox One S refuses to work in HDR mode. If HDMI Ultra Deep Colour is off everything runs ok but the 4k diagnostics on the Xbox returns a bunch of crosses.

Switch it on and the crosses all go green, and the Xbox runs fine until I try to play some HDR content - any HDR content. A blu ray, forza horizon 3, an Amazon video labelled 4k. I can't even open netflix to sign in. My screen goes blank then my tv complains that it's lost signal. I can still hear my Xbox is operating via my headset and either have to power off my Xbox to go back home or change hdmi port to one that has Ultra Deep Colour disabled.

It's probably a faulty Xbox but anyone got any tips on how I can be sure my tv is ok?

e90Mark

So I got my LG C6 today and my Xbox One S refuses to work in HDR mode. If HDMI Ultra Deep Colour is off everything runs ok but the 4k diagnostics on the Xbox returns a bunch of crosses.

Switch it on and the crosses all go green, and the Xbox runs fine until I try to play some HDR content - any HDR content. A blu ray, forza horizon 3, an Amazon video labelled 4k. I can't even open netflix to sign in.

It's probably a faulty Xbox but anyone got any tips on how I can be sure my tv is ok?

What's going wrong? Did you try doing a hard restart on the xbox?

Theonik

Theonik, rtings says the 7 best TVs for off angle viewing are all OLEDs. What am I missing?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle
Notice the score weighting then examine how all WRGB OLED panels experience colour shift at about 30 degrees which rtings weighs significantly lower in their scores. Having said that this is all an exercise in compromise. The ZD9 for instance explicitly chooses to sacrifice viewing angles for a better experience on the sweetspot. (one major disadvantage to its backlight system)

BumRush

I don't even have an OLED or an LED, I have a plasma. But from friends and family sets that I have seen OLED's off angle viewing is significantly better. Maybe it's me, but it's a pretty glaring difference.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
What's going wrong? Did you try doing a hard restart on the xbox?

Yeah tried that, no joy.

My screen goes blank then my tv complains that it's lost signal. I can still hear my Xbox is operating via my headset and either have to power off my Xbox to go back home or change hdmi port to one that has Ultra Deep Colour disabled.

Non HDR content works fine like 1080p video and non-HDR games.

Lima

Yeah tried that, no joy.

My screen goes blank then my tv complains that it's lost signal. I can still hear my Xbox is operating via my headset and either have to power off my Xbox to go back home or change hdmi port to one that has Ultra Deep Colour disabled.

Non HDR content works fine like 1080p video and non-HDR games.

Im assuming you tried a different hdmi cable already.

KevinG

What's been your favorite UHD thus far (visually)?
I only own a few, and I think I've been most impressed with Logan.

(I own Arrival, Fantastic Beasts, Logan, La La Land)

Wish my digital copies would redeem as UHD.

Have a bunch saved up waiting for these studios to catch up. Anyone know if Lego Batman redeems as UHD in Vudu yet? (I already have access to that spreadsheet going around, but not sure how frequently it's updated).

ApharmdX

Banned

Plasma TVs are awesome. They have amazing viewing angles. They also have far-better uniformity to either LCD or OLED. And they handle motion far better than LCD or OLED. If we had 4K plasmas today they would very likely be in the reference display discussion along with OLED.

The technology was gone too soon IMO. I got an LG OLED65B7 this spring, which is a really good display, but in some ways my Panasonic plasma produces a more-pleasing image. I'll hang on to plasma as a bedroom TV as long as I can :)

Just as an aside, there is still no LCD TV on the market in 2017 that has matched the black level performance of the 2009 Pioneer Kuros or the 2012-2013 Panasonic plasmas. That's crazy.

It's noticeable after static images sit for a minute but quickly disappears. I don't find it to be a problem at all in normal gaming and movie viewing. Any burn-in complaints I've seen come from open-box items that were used as floor models. I'd stay away from those.

I have an open box/floor model E6P and haven't noticed any burn in or IR, and my PC gets the most use by far (I leave static images on all the time).

Switch it on and the crosses all go green, and the Xbox runs fine until I try to play some HDR content - any HDR content. A blu ray, forza horizon 3, an Amazon video labelled 4k. I can't even open netflix to sign in. My screen goes blank then my tv complains that it's lost signal. I can still hear my Xbox is operating via my headset and either have to power off my Xbox to go back home or change hdmi port to one that has Ultra Deep Colour disabled.

Did you enable UHD on the HDMI port...?

Matticers

Does anyone know about how often the 65" LG OLEDs go on sale? Well, on sale below their usual "sale" price. Like right now the C6 is about $3,000. The C7 is about $3,300 and the E6 is around $4,000 I believe. Those are the main three that I'm interested in and the E6 fits what I'm looking for most but it's also probably more than I want to spend. I guess I'm curious if the C6 or C7 ever drop to the mid 2000 range. I know there are a few companies on ebay that sell them at that price but that's kind of iffy to me. I'd probably rather go through an actual store.

vpance

Just as an aside, there is still no LCD TV on the market in 2017 that has matched the black level performance of the 2009 Pioneer Kuros or the 2012-2013 Panasonic plasmas. That's crazy.

Local dimming LCDs can completely turn off zones to black at basically unmeasurable levels, so how is that true?

As an owner of a Kuro and 2012 Panny, I can say that good local dimming VA LCDs have them beat overall. At worst, the best LCDs now have blacks on par with the last of the average model plasmas. In reality, they are hanging with OLEDs in certain conditions because they can basically achieve pure black by shutting off LEDs. Also, the excellent anti reflective films we're seeing on TVs these days vastly increase the effective black level under normal lighting situations.

J-Rzez

Does OLED shift off angle? Yes.
Is it still vastly superior to any LED on the market? Yes, not up for debate.

In an ideal theater room, yes, you should be in that sweet spot. But not everyone has that luxury. That said, most enthusiasts will still pick the OLED for its other merits. Unless you only care about super bright parts of HDR movies, and I mean super bright details. That is the only thing LED has going for it.

After owning an OLED for over a month now... I honestly have to say that it looks great, but would I have spent twice as much or more for it than I did my Samsung JU71000, which I thought, and still think, looks great? Fuck no. Honestly the biggest pros for me are the fact that it's bigger by 10 inches and that it actually displays HDR correctly. I think a lot of the people here that have one tend to put it on a pedestal... and rightfully so, as it is the best technology out there are the moment, but is it head and shoulders above every single LED on the market? No. Not even compared to TVs a fraction of the price.

Ultimately it is a luxury item. It's like a Benz. Yes, the Hyundai is gonna get you to the same price, probably in the same amount of time... but you ass is going to feel slightly better knowing you got there in better fashion. It's real technology, compiled by a placebo effect that makes you justify that much higher expense, and most people really are going to give a damn. But we're nerds, every single one of us here... so it does matter. Just not as much as you think it does. Buy what you can afford and be happy with it. Do your due diligence, but don't fret over it if you can't get one for a reasonable price. It's really not as big of a deal as a lot of people here make it out to be.

Local dimming LCDs can completely turn off zones to black at basically unmeasurable levels, so how is that true?

As an owner of a Kuro and 2012 Panny, I can say that good local dimming VA LCDs have them beat overall. At worst, the best LCDs now have blacks on par with the last of the average model plasmas. In reality, they are hanging with OLEDs in certain conditions because they can basically achieve pure black by shutting off LEDs. Also, the excellent anti reflective films we're seeing on TVs these days vastly increase the effective black level under normal lighting situations.

They've been able to do that for a decade...I had the 81F from Samsung when it released. Then I got a Kuro and said, wow, those fake '0' blacks were sure a neat parlor trick. Obviously the comparison isn't as stark today but it still applies to some degree. Saying local dimming is equal to oled in 'certain conditions' is basically saying, "don't ever turn out the lights"

Top Bottom