• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

RoboRy

Neo Member
ok, maybe you all can help me with a decision:

I have about $650 bucks. Looking to get a new TV.

It seems the good stuff is a bit out of my range, should I instead go for a gaming projector?

The Optoma GT1080 seems pretty great.

Unless there is a large (55in or larger) TV within my price range that would give me that much more of a better picture quality?

(I love me some good crisp gaming, but I'm obviously ok sacrificing a little for the screen size the projector affords me).

TLZ

Banned
In the UHD section.

Also welcome to one of the worst apps/interfaces.

I can't find that section on my C6 :/ Is it possible because I'm in Australia? And year I agree the UI isn't the best at all.

Try The Grand Tour. 4K and HDR. The picture is insane. Looks 3 dimensional.

Yes I watched that as well but it doesn't show 4k nor hdr anywhere..

Midas

Installed my brand new 55B6 a few hours ago. The blacks, they're just black. Amazing. Need to find the best settings for it, I guess I can find them in this thread some where. :)

Kyoufu

I can't find that section on my C6 :/ Is it possible because I'm in Australia? And year I agree the UI isn't the best at all.

Yes I watched that as well but it doesn't show 4k nor hdr anywhere..

That might be it yeah. Some regions only recently got UHD content.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Haha please don't. You looking to buy a house?

Thanks!

Few years back I was mid escrow on a house, got laid off the day that the bank decided to reneg on our pre-approved loan. That was only the tip of the iceberg. Spent the last few years putting my life back together. Still not back to the level I was before the fall.

BumRush

Few years back I was mid escrow on a house, got laid off the day that the bank decided to reneg on our pre-approved loan. That was only the tip of the iceberg. Spent the last few years putting my life back together. Still not back to the level I was before the fall.

Sorry to hear that. Hope things keep heading up for you.

NYR

Have we heard any updates on 2017 OLED pricing since CES?
The W7 65 inch is listed at $7999 on the LG website.

I would assume it will go down $1000 each tier but just a guess. I could easily see them price the B. C and E at the same price of $4999 since the only diff is styling.

G7 - $6999
E7 - $5999
C7 - $4999
B7 - $3999

J-Rzez

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 65 B7 MSRP drops for this year, or day one is $2999-3499. These sets are about due for a price drop, especially now with yet another model in the line, none are curved, and with direct competition in OLED from Sony which I assume will be in the $4000-$4500 range.

NYR

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 65 B7 MSRP drops for this year, or day one is $2999-3499. These sets are about due for a price drop, especially now with yet another model in the line, none are curved, and with direct competition in OLED from Sony which I assume will be in the $4000-$4500 range.
Sony isn't getting in the game to sharpen their pencil. The supply is from LG, they are not going to get into a pricing battle against a supplier they need and can't beat unless they sell at a massive loss.

Don't be surprised if there is already a deal in place with price points or at the other end of the spectrum, LG sold them the displays at a price where they can't compete.

J-Rzez

Sony isn't getting in the game to sharpen their pencil. The supply is from LG, they are not going to get into a pricing battle against a supplier they need and can't beat unless they sell at a massive loss.

Don't be surprised if there is already a deal in place with price points or at the other end of the spectrum, LG sold them the displays at a price where they can't compete.

They still position the Z9D as their flagship. No way they're going to put the A1E at or above that. It will be cheaper, which the Z9 ranges $5000-5500. That's why I think the A1E is going to be in the $4000-4500 range.

I have kind of a weird question. Don't know if thats the right thread for it.
I am looking for a small, relatively portable projector for less than 300€.
I don't care if it supports native 1080p, I mainly want to watch movies and play some Switch on the road with friends.
We have a cabin in the woods where we are a couple of time a year, and there is electricity but no internet. It would be great if we could just project Mario Kart 8 to a wall there and play.

It has to have:
-Batterie powered, ideally it can be charged via USB so I can extend the run time with a big ass powerbank.
-Needs to be able to play movies from USB stick.
-Console can be hooked up to it.
-Should be pretty portable.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

tokkun

They still position the Z9D as their flagship. No way they're going to put the A1E at or above that. It will be cheaper, which the Z9 ranges $5000-5500. That's why I think the A1E is going to be in the $4000-4500 range.

I don't think they will treat it as part of the same hierarchy with the Z9D. I think they will treat it as some sort of concept design, and it will be appropriately expensive. Pricing it at $4000 for 65" would put it in line with the cheapest of LG's OLEDs, and that seems unlikely.

Melon Husk

I have kind of a weird question. Don't know if thats the right thread for it.
I am looking for a small, relatively portable projector for less than 300€.
I don't care if it supports native 1080p, I mainly want to watch movies and play some Switch on the road with friends.
We have a cabin in the woods where we are a couple of time a year, and there is electricity but no internet. It would be great if we could just project Mario Kart 8 to a wall there and play.

It has to have:
-Batterie powered, ideally it can be charged via USB so I can extend the run time with a big ass powerbank.
-Needs to be able to play movies from USB stick.
-Console can be hooked up to it.
-Should be pretty portable.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The selection is better in the US, but based on the research I've done I'd say get the iCodis G1/G5. This one's not perfect however, the 3000mAh battery won't last long. Then again it does have a 2A/5V micro-USB charger so a big battery bank might keep it running? No bluetooth but there's a headphone jack. 229€ on amazon.de, you can read reviews on uk & us amazon.

Midas

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what are you guys using to stream media from your computer to your tv? I tried Kodi on OS X yesterday and it's nice, the problem is that it keeps crashing for me.

ShutterMunster

Their supplier isn't LG Electronics, it's LG Displays. With that said, I don't imagine the Sony OLED will come in much cheaper than the LG OLED. The Sony tax is still real in the TV space.

Theonik

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what are you guys using to stream media from your computer to your tv? I tried Kodi on OS X yesterday and it's nice, the problem is that it keeps crashing for me.
I use the new Plex Media Player on an HTPC with a custom MPV config.

Their supplier isn't LG Electronics, it's LG Displays. With that said, I don't imagine the Sony OLED will come in much cheaper than the LG OLED. The Sony tax is still real in the TV space.
And right it should be. Their TVs are better so why should they be cheaper?

There's well known disfunction between LG's TV arm and their display manufacturing arm over the preference they give to some outside companies over LG itself. Maybe not this around but it's certainly not inconceivable that Sony becomes price competitive with them.

NYR

There's well known disfunction between LG's TV arm and their display manufacturing arm over the preference they give to some outside companies over LG itself. Maybe not this around but it's certainly not inconceivable that Sony becomes price competitive with them.

You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think the two business units don't talk to each other or don't all report to a shared executive team and would sell to a 3rd party for cheaper on their prime product. Basing it on rumors and fodder is reserved for the Internet. Sure, LCDs and low end stuff, fridge, sure, whatever. Their top line product? No chance, especially when yields are already so low out of the factory and there is an argument they barely have enough for themselves, even with a new factory coming online. There is a reason Sony is the only one getting LG to sell them their displays, no one else can swing the price.

Kyoufu

There is a reason Sony is the only one getting LG to sell them their displays, no one else can swing the price.

?

Panasonic, Philips, Loewe and probably others I've forgotten to mention are also getting their OLED panels from LG, not just Sony.

NYR

And right it should be. Their TVs are better so why should they be cheaper?
We know nothing about this new Sony OLED. No specs are out, no tests have been completed. Just because they are getting OLEDs does not automatically mean they will be "better". They fell behind big league in the world of LCDs, their TV division is a big loser right now, and surprise, it was because they were gong to 3rd parties to buy parts (sound familiar?):

Without the facility to produce its own LCD panels Sony found itself forced to buy in components from the likes of Samsung and Sharp. However, sourcing panels from third parties meant there was very little control over the main component of the product line and therefore picture quality. Buying in panels from other manufacturers also seriously impacted on costs and profitability just at the time when it needed to be really competitive to gain market share. High production costs and a strong Yen meant the company simply couldn't compete and in 2011 it saw a massive 24% drop in TV sales.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markspa...ness-in-bid-to-reconquer-market/#1eec132acbc7

They have zero experience in commercial OLED, just protoypes. We have to wait and see what they do or if they stumble again.

We know nothing about this new Sony OLED. No specs are out, no tests have been completed. Just because they are getting OLEDs does not automatically mean they will be "better". They fell behind big league in the world of LCDs, their TV division is a big loser right now, and surprise, it was because they were gong to 3rd parties to buy parts (sound familiar?):

They have zero experience in commercial OLED, just protoypes. We have to wait and see what they do or if they stumble again.

They fell behind big league in lcds? What am I reading??

I own an LG Oled and have been very happy with it but I'm naturally curious/eager to hear about the performance gains in motion and black level uniformity (the former a lot more certain than the latter) that a contender with the experience/tech Sony has can bring.

All major lcd manufacturers use third parties to some extent for panels. That has nothing to do with their struggles. Go educate yourself by reading avsforum.

ShutterMunster

You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think the two business units don't talk to each other or don't all report to a shared executive team and would sell to a 3rd party for cheaper on their prime product. Basing it on rumors and fodder is reserved for the Internet. Sure, LCDs and low end stuff, fridge, sure, whatever. Their top line product? No chance, especially when yields are already so low out of the factory and there is an argument they barely have enough for themselves, even with a new factory coming online. There is a reason Sony is the only one getting LG to sell them their displays, no one else can swing the price.

I've worked at enough massive corporations to know it's more likely that they're NOT coordinated and in tune with each other's plans than they are.

Sony is actually a perfect example of a corporation with very little integration and communication between divisions. Kaz has made great strides in that dept but it's still messy.

Chumpion

I have about $650 bucks. Looking to get a new TV.

It seems the good stuff is a bit out of my range, should I instead go for a gaming projector?

The Optoma GT1080 seems pretty great.

Unless there is a large (55in or larger) TV within my price range that would give me that much more of a better picture quality?

(I love me some good crisp gaming, but I'm obviously ok sacrificing a little for the screen size the projector affords me).

Mainly, it depends on your ambient light levels. In a dark room a projector kicks ass - no TV at the price range could compete. The Optoma you cite is quite bright, so you could even project on a gray surface and gain some extra contrast. Also before you buy you'd need to check that you can install it at the right distance, e.g.:

Projection Calculator Pro

KillGore

So I'm sure it has been asked a million times (and I'll search previous pages) but.... this Saturday I'll be going to Best Buy and buying the 55'' B6; my question is, where to start? Do I buy one of those Disney calibration discs I've been reading about? I'm guessing they're on ebay? Also, is there a list in this thread with the settings I should use? I'm guessing it may change from unit to unit but is there a general "good" image settings? For example I think I read that OLED brightness should be at 50%? what else?

Sorry for the trouble! first time buying a high end TV and first time actually messing with the image settings.

III-V

So I'm sure it has been asked a million times (and I'll search previous pages) but.... this Saturday I'll be going to Best Buy and buying the 55'' B6; my question is, where to start? Do I buy one of those Disney calibration discs I've been reading about? I'm guessing they're on ebay? Also, is there a list in this thread with the settings I should use? I'm guessing it may change from unit to unit but is there a general "good" image settings? For example I think I read that OLED brightness should be at 50%? what else?

Sorry for the trouble! first time buying a high end TV and first time actually messing with the image settings.

Save the money from the cal disc and get a great one for free. Use it to purchase a colorimeter. See the calibration link in the OP.

J-Rzez

I don't think they will treat it as part of the same hierarchy with the Z9D. I think they will treat it as some sort of concept design, and it will be appropriately expensive. Pricing it at $4000 for 65" would put it in line with the cheapest of LG's OLEDs, and that seems unlikely.

I expect the 65" B7 to be in the $3000-3500 right out of the gate this time. Remember the price drop from 65EF9500 to the "6" lines.

holygeesus

Banned

Use ISF Dark

OLED Light 55
Contrast 84
Brightness 51 (50 if you lose pure black - this varies set to set)

Leave everything else alone and turn off all picture processing (e.g. Dynamic Contrast, TruMotion etc)

Theonik

What. Sony's had the best LCD sets for more than 3 years running now. The problem they face is that TVs are commodity goods and Samsung holds 48% of the market making money in TVs is really difficult if you're not Samsung essentially, especially if you're a Japanese company due to the strong yen. Sony not making their own panels was a conscious decision to reduce their R&D costs for panels. It's not really impacted the quality of cost of their sets adversely.

It doesn't matter anyway, if their sets are both more expensive and not better they simply won't sell. We'll just have to wait and see which one it is. What annoys me is people basically wanting Sony's sets to both be better than their competitors AND cheaper. That's simply not happening. Sony doesn't do the volumes to achieve that R&D for high end TVs is really expensive.

Dave_6

Well, more than likely I'm finally going to order a 65" B6 today. Think I've thought about it and put it off long enough.

KillGore

Well, more than likely I'm finally going to order a 65" B6 today. Think I've thought about it and put it off long enough.

Gah, I really want to get the 65" B6 but $1,000 more for 10 inches? Damn, LG.

This is a stupid question but are the 55 inch OLED just as impressive as the 65 inch? Most videos on youtube are of the 65 inch. Also, some people are reporting that their 65 inch OLED screen is slightly bent? Does the same thing happen on the 55 version? Or maybe not since it's smaller/harder to bend.

Dave_6

Well my current TV is 60" so I'm not going smaller if I get a new one.

The only issue I've read about with having slightly bent screens is on the E6, and that was someone in this thread.

Speaking of which, I was just taking a look at Amazon and the B6 seems to only be available via the "fulfilled by Amazon" third party route, not Amazon itself. Has the stock of new 2016 TVs truly run out this quickly?

holygeesus

Banned
Speaking of which, I was just taking a look at Amazon and the B6 seems to only be available via the "fulfilled by Amazon" third party route, not Amazon itself. Has the stock of new 2016 TVs truly run out this quickly?

They won't be producing any more at this point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My eyes are 6'8" away from the tv (I measured it lol). What do you think?

55" is fine. That's about 32.5 degrees field of view which is about right. THX recommended is 36 degrees which would be a 60" set but that can be too much for general viewing

BumRush

My eyes are 6'8" away from the tv (I measured it lol). What do you think?

55" would be fine if you're looking to save the $1,000. With that said, I have NEVER heard someone complain about getting a TV that's too big, but have heard plenty complaints about going too small

Top Bottom