• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Ah, good for you.

How did Perfect Dark look on the TV? I'm assuming it is the Rare Replay version?

It was the 360 XBLA version. I have Rare Replay though does it look any better there, or possibly render in higher resolution? It looked fine, wasn't really paying close attention, more focused on having goofy fun time with my date.

It was the 360 XBLA version. I have Rare Replay though does it look any better there, or possibly render in higher resolution? It looked fine, wasn't really paying close attention, more focused on having goofy fun time with my date.

Sounds good. I have been considering getting a 65 E6P but am not sure if it is worth the premium over the B or C series. Glad you had a fun night.

Tubie

I think I'm set to get that Samsung KU6290 on Monday thanks to the feedback from this thread.

My budget for a new TV was $500, but I was just waiting for the right deal and $289 seems perfect.

I am waiting patiently for the new Sony 930e to appear in stores. I like the fact that it has the X1 extreeeeeeeme processor. And after my last Sony 1080p that is the best TV I have ever owned, I have turned brand loyal.

Probably will wait a while for reviews and price drops, unless they are an awesome price right out of the gate or something.

I was thinking about waiting for the 930E as well since I also like Sony TV's, but the 930D will probably be good enough for me. I am contemplating picking up the Sony X930D, but the OLED is the only thing kind of holding me back from finalizing my decision since it would be something a little different for me. And idea if the input lag on the X930D is really as bad as most people say? I think it's like 59ms or something like that for HDR mode, but I am wondering I will even notice it since I don't play online much. It's probably a little bit of over exaggeration from the people who say it's unplayable, but I am just curious. Wondering if they will rectify that issue with the 930E if it really is an issue with the 930D.

Last night I had a date over, and I went to turn on the PS4 on my new E6, and nothing was displaying on the screen. I could hear the audio, but the screen was a solid wall of black. When I checked into the input previews, it displayed fine there, but when I went fullscreen, it was still black. I restarted the PS4, unplugged and re-seated the HDMI cable on both ends a couple times, then finally restarted the TV. Eventually it started working. Completely freaky experience for a less than a week old TV. Anything I should be worried about?

Edit: It just did it again with my PS4, this time while I was already using it.
Double Edit: That time it was just the TV turning off when I closed a PS4 application, but worked fine again when I just turned it back on.
Well known issue.
I experienced it as well on my 55E6. Had to turn off HDMI UHD Deep Colour to get back the PS4 screen and could then turn it on again.
It might be enough to just turn off/on the TV.
Anyways, it's an annoying bug that will keep haunting you.
Some ppl claim that some PS4 Pro consoles (unless you're saying that you have a normal PS4 which would be new for this problem) is at fault, but I doubt it.
You could try using a different HDMI cable and maybe even a 2nd PS4 Pro to see if that changes anything.
I can't test it myself right now, otherwise I would do it.
Only the E6 and C6 can be affected (not sure about the G6), the B6 had a similar handshake problem but that has already been fixed with a FW update.

NYR

Last night I had a date over, and I went to turn on the PS4 on my new E6, and nothing was displaying on the screen. I could hear the audio, but the screen was a solid wall of black. When I checked into the input previews, it displayed fine there, but when I went fullscreen, it was still black. I restarted the PS4, unplugged and re-seated the HDMI cable on both ends a couple times, then finally restarted the TV. Eventually it started working. Completely freaky experience for a less than a week old TV. Anything I should be worried about?

Edit: It just did it again with my PS4, this time while I was already using it.
Double Edit: That time it was just the TV turning off when I closed a PS4 application, but worked fine again when I just turned it back on.
Don't get me started on this shit. I have been bitching about this for 3 months, it's a huge problem.

The only way I have "fixed" it is plugging the PS4 Pro right into HDMI 1 using an HDMI Certifed cable. This was per LGs advice. The other option is to turn off HDCP 2.2 and revert to HDCP 1.4. Apparently there is a handshake issue with HDCP 2.2.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/14/13625920/ps4-pro-4k-tv-black-screen

I have been waiting for months for a fix, as the B6 got a fix already.

There is a thread about it here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1318442

holygeesus

Banned
Don't get me started on this shit. I have been bitching about this for 3 months, it's a huge problem.

The only way I have "fixed" it is plugging the PS4 Pro right into HDMI 1 using an HDMI Certifed cable. This was per LGs advice. The other option is to turn off HDCP 2.2 and revert to HDCP 1.4. Apparently there is a handshake issue with HDCP 2.2.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/14/13625920/ps4-pro-4k-tv-black-screen

I have been waiting for months for a fix, as the B6 got a fix already.

There is a thread about it here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1318442

It really is strange how LG approach their firmware releases. The 'budget' B6 model gets the HDCP fix and none of the others do, yet here in the UK we still await the HDR Gaming fix. They seem to have a haphazard method for sure.

Yep. I figured that. I was already very pessimistic and doing research just further solidified my skepticism. I honestly rather buy it a local store anyway even if I got to pay a little more. Maybe, just maybe something like Amazon, but I do not like spending that type of money online for something that I cannot see until it arrives at my house.

Will be looking for a new tv in a few months.

Budget is around £1700. Might go for more if needed. Looking for a 55". Will be using it for Xbox One S and Sky TV mainly. Then the Scorpio and Switch later in the year.

What would everyone recommend? My wife wants curved but I am not too sure on them.

Any B6 owners care to offer an insight as to how well it handles motion? I'm thinking of upgrading soon and this is pretty important as I watch a fair bit of sports.

DJIzana

Those that have the LG B6, how does it handle in HDR mode, input lag wise now, since that firmware patch was released? Think it's still feasible to play games like Dark Souls 3 or Monster Hunter in that mode?

holygeesus

Banned
Those that have the LG B6, how does it handle in HDR mode, input lag wise now, since that firmware patch was released? Think it's still feasible to play games like Dark Souls 3 or Monster Hunter in that mode?

It's like 28ms now isn't it? Up to you to decide but it's definitely fine for me as I have no problem with regular Game mode which is less responsive.

Kal

Hey TV GAF. I'm having an annoying issue on my LG E6; whenever I turn on my PS4 Pro (and my PS4 before that) from rest mode I either get a black screen with flashing green bars on the side, or the screen is really zoomed in and everything is replicated (I also get a message saying 3D is on). The only way to fix this is unplugging the HDMI cable and reconnecting. Has anyone had this issue and is there a fix? :( Thanks!

Afrikan

Do any of you folks who have hand shake issues turn on your PS4 before you turn on your TV?

Even with my previous Sony TV and with my LG OLED, one thing I noticed is that it's better to turn on the TV first...wait a sec then turn on the PS4.

Sounds weird I know....but this is stuff that also happens when I hooked up my Laptop to my Sony TV... Always issues when the Laptop is on, connect the HDMI..then turn the TV on.. sound and screen issues. So yeah I always turn on the TV first before turning on my PS4 or connecting anything through HDMI (laptop)

NYR

Hey TV GAF. I'm having an annoying issue on my LG E6; whenever I turn on my PS4 Pro (and my PS4 before that) from rest mode I either get a black screen with flashing green bars on the side, or the screen is really zoomed in and everything is replicated (I also get a message saying 3D is on). The only way to fix this is unplugging the HDMI cable and reconnecting. Has anyone had this issue and is there a fix? :( Thanks!
This is same the E6 handshake issue that was discussed above. The only fix is to change HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4. You will lose the ability to playback 4K content though.

www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/201...to-fix-ps4-pro-connection-woes/?client=safari

LG released a firmware update for the B6 for this but nothing for the E6. It apparently has something to do with the fact the HDCP check from the tv to the device and vice versa is too fast for the TV to recognize.

Do any of you folks who have hand shake issues turn on your PS4 before you turn on your TV?
Nope. I have a Harmony Elite remote, and the TV is always on first when I start the PS4 Activity.

Kal

This is same the E6 handshake issue that was discussed above. The only fix is to change HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4. You will lose the ability to playback 4K content though.

www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/201...to-fix-ps4-pro-connection-woes/?client=safari

LG released a firmware update for the B6 for this but nothing for the E6. It apparently has something to do with the fact the HDCP check from the tv to the device and vice versa is too fast for the TV to recognize.

Thanks - I was worried that something was wrong with my set. It is very infuriating though, and I'm hoping this gets fixed soon.

asdad123

I wish I could afford the 78" OLED. I bought a 65" E6P back in august for the living room and it's great, but it could be bigger. I sit about 13' back.

Maybe in 5 years when I purchase a house I could throw this in the basement and the larger OLEDs will be more affordable :)

NYR

I wish I could afford the 78" OLED. I bought a 65" E6P back in august for the living room and it's great, but it could be bigger. I sit about 13' back.

Maybe in 5 years when I purchase a house I could throw this in the basement and the larger OLEDs will be more affordable :)
Wow, 13 feet is huge, I can see that being an issue but even a 75 wouldn't be ideal for that distance. A 65" tv of that size should be 6-8 feet for optimal viewing.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

dallow_bg

nods at old men

You need a projector.

BumRush

Wow, 13 feet is huge, I can see that being an issue but even a 75 wouldn't be ideal for that distance. A 65" tv of that size should be 6-8 feet for optimal viewing.

I've seen that chart before and I have a hard time believing it. It makes it seem like a 55" 4K at 10' is no different than 1080P and that's simply not true. I know what it's saying but still...

KillGore

So I just got my B6! and I have some questions:

Connected my Xbox One S to HDMI1. I had to change the console TV resolution output to 4K because it was in 1080p. The color depth is currently in 8-bit, should I leave it like that? or choose 10-bit or 12-bit? Also, when I went to Advanced video settings and then 4K TV details I got this

Is this suppose to be a mistake? I mean, games should run on HDR10 on this tv right? Also says it doesn't support HDR 10 video, and many other things. So I'm kind of worried? unless that's normal...

Ran a 4K bluray on the Xbox One S. How do I know if HDR is on? I have the picture mode on standard btw

Tried the amazon video app and booted up Grand Tour. The video only ran in 1080p, I'm not sure why.

Overall, how do I know if HDR is on? I read an icon appears? Have yet to see the icon anywhere lol

am I cursed, GAF?

Edit: Hmm now that I think about it, I haven't updated the tv yet. No notification has popped up.

N Sane

Neo Member
KillGore you have to turn on HDMI Deep Color mode for the TV input the Xbox is plugged in to. Its in the tv settings.

asdad123

I can't imagine being 6-8' away from the TV. That's too close in my opinion. The way my living room is set up, a 75" would be perfect.

I was contemplating a 75" LCD or the 65" OLED and went with the OLED. Gaming and TV looks great, just could always be bigger hahah.

You need a projector.

Won't work in my current Living room set up. TV in the corner of the living room, sectional sofa in the other corner.

Haa anyone had any success getting a 4k HDR projector to work with the x1 or PS4 Pro? Seems like everything out there has an issue of some sort. The 2017 JVC models seem like the best best, yet I was curious if anyone had recommendations.

NYR

So I just got my B6! and I have some questions:

Connected my Xbox One S to HDMI1. I had to change the console TV resolution output to 4K because it was in 1080p. The color depth is currently in 8-bit, should I leave it like that? or choose 10-bit or 12-bit? Also, when I went to Advanced video settings and then 4K TV details I got this

Is this suppose to be a mistake? I mean, games should run on HDR10 on this tv right? Also says it doesn't support HDR 10 video, and many other things. So I'm kind of worried? unless that's normal...

Ran a 4K bluray on the Xbox One S. How do I know if HDR is on? I have the picture mode on standard btw

Tried the amazon video app and booted up Grand Tour. The video only ran in 1080p, I'm not sure why.

Overall, how do I know if HDR is on? I read an icon appears? Have yet to see the icon anywhere lol

am I cursed, GAF?

Edit: Hmm now that I think about it, I haven't updated the tv yet. No notification has popped up.
Did you go into the menu and turn on Deep Color Mode under General in the settings? Do that and re run this test and you'll get the results you are looking for for HDR.

large-74535-102.jpg

The HDR pop up is in the top right corner. Looks like a grey box with a comic dialog like symbol and HDR will be stated.

lg-hlg-dtv.jpg

KillGore

Did you go into the menu and turn on Deep Color Mode under General in the settings? Do that and re run this test and you'll get the results you are looking for for HDR.

large-74535-102.jpg

The HDR pop up is in the top right corner. Looks like a grey box with a comic dialog like symbol and HDR will be stated.

lg-hlg-dtv.jpg

Got it! Looks amazing!

What I don't see is the HDR Game mode. What firmware update was that introduced? My tv is in the US servers from what I can see but I'm still afraid LG may consider Puerto Rico as international... if so, can I update via usb or something?

NYR

Got it! Looks amazing!

What I don't see is the HDR Game mode. What firmware update was that introduced? My tv is in the US servers from what I can see but I'm still afraid LG may consider Puerto Rico as international... if so, can I update via usb or something?
Yeah, the auto-update always lags, it is useless. Just download it here.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P

It is under firmware. Download 04.30.77 and read the PDF under that section on how to install.

SW File(Version 04.30.77) for OLED*5B6P-U,**UH7500-UA,**UH7700-UB,70UH6350-UB

bender

What time is it?
A sad day as I'm thinking about replacing my '07 Kuro. It's started to develop a loud buzzing on certain sources which is symptomatic of either a bad system board or power supply. I don't think I want to invest in getting it repaired and moving away from plasma is attractive as I live at altitude. The problem is tolerable for now so maybe I'll hold out for the sets that will take advantage of the new HDMI spec (2018). Primary use is gaming with some moving watching and hoping for around 50". Budget isn't a concern.

KillGore

Yeah, the auto-update always lags, it is useless. Just download it here.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P

It is under firmware. Download 04.30.77 and read the PDF under that section on how to install.

SW File(Version 04.30.77) for OLED*5B6P-U,**UH7500-UA,**UH7700-UB,70UH6350-UB

Thank you so much!!

Do the LG OLEDs come with a HDMI cable? If not, are the Amazon cables good?

They don't. I do have Amazon cables but have yet to test them. The page does say it works with 4K, so I'm assuming they do. Will test tomorrow.

Dave_6

They don't. I do have Amazon cables but have yet to test them. The page does say it works with 4K, so I'm assuming they do. Will test tomorrow.

Thanks. I believe someone posted in here not long ago about using them and said they were good.

Top Bottom