• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Paragon

Got the OLED55B6P. Took awhile to get my PC and 1070 to output the correct settings.

First I had to change over the TV to Deep Color and receiver to 18Gbps mode. Then I had to remove my HDMI to DP adapter and just plug the HDMI cable straight in. Only then could I select 3840x2160, 60hz, 32bit color, 12bpc, 4:2:0.

Tried some 4K movies, wow they look great. Also tried the Abzu game in 4K. Looked great but even with that simple game my 1070 was having trouble holding 60fps.
It might not be your GPU. ABZÛ requires a really fast CPU to hit 60 FPS.
The 1070 is really a 4K30 card rather than a 4K60 one though.
Native 4K60 gaming just isn't here yet. Not even a Titan XP is fast enough if you play new games, unless you want to start turning down options.

I would probably recommend 8-bit 4:4:4 instead of 12-bit 4:2:0 as well, since very few games take advantage of >8-bit color yet.

Agreed. Only problem with OLED is that you actually see how shitty a shitty source can be. Low bit rate videos look terrible when you see all the dark detail you would never see on other TVs.
It's actually the opposite problem.
LG's OLEDs have reduced bit-depth near black so they exaggerate or create problems with low-quality sources that aren't there on true 10-bit displays.
That's why they crush shadow details out of the box, to try and mask it.

I'm really annoyed that they've dropped 3D support now, because we have OLEDs from Sony and Panasonic coming this year which should improve or fix this problem (and possibly LG's own 2017 models too) but none of them have 3D.

I'm almost tempted to buy a C6 now. I'm not sure that I want a curved TV but it's the same spec as an E6 at nearly the price of a B6.
I was really planning on waiting for a HDMI 2.1 set in 2018, but OLEDs are the only displays to have done really good 3D other than VR headsets. Active 3D is terrible in my opinion.

b0bbyJ03

honestly on my current (and even previous) LCD, the blacks seemed great - black bars blending into the bezel. Current TV is an X93D, but the previous one was a Sony 50W685 so only a mid-range set (although I think VA panel?)

I don't watch in a completely dark room though. OLED is objectively better, but some LCDs can go dark enough that they still look great. Not a fan of the haloing on captions etc because of the local dimming - clearly thats something where OLED has a massive advantage.

Whats more impressive about OLED that people don't really talk enough about as much is the contrast tho. The TV will only need to produce pure black in a regular movie/tv show scene like 1% of the time. Most scenes don't have black. The impressive thing to me is that even in a bright scene with no blacks at all OLED still really sets itself apart. The subtle differences in colors that are very similar are more apparent. It's a lot closer to what looking at something in person feels like. Its just awesome. LCD still lacks this, even tho I agree, the high end LCDs go so dark at this point that it still looks like pure black in a well lit room (which is how I personally like to watch TV anyway).

NYR

Question for the gamers. I like using the LG Tru Motion setting of User and turning De-Judder to 0 and De-Blur to 10.

Will this notably impact lag at all when gaming? I know it is processing the image and doing any type of processing will lead to issues, but it shouldn’t effect it that much if I leave it on?

J-P

Neo Member
b6 owners be sure to check out some of the YouTube 4K vids to see just what this thing can do. There's one on the 4K HDR channel (app isn't updated for HDR yet but the videos are still insane without it) called "chess". It is fucking nuts. It genuinely looks 3D. Also check out The Grand Tour on Amazon for 4K and HDR. Jaw dropping.

NYR

b6 owners be sure to check out some of the YouTube 4K vids to see just what this thing can do. There's one on the 4K HDR channel (app isn't updated for HDR yet but the videos are still insane without it) called "chess". It is fucking nuts. It genuinely looks 3D. Also check out The Grand Tour on Amazon for 4K and HDR. Jaw dropping.

You can just download the actual HDR Chess video and watch it that way.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=145

http://demo-uhd3d.com/files/uhd4k/LG_Chess_HDR.mp4

KillGore

Oh man, I need planet earth II in 4K bluray. Still no release date?

Edit: Amazon warehouse has a PS4 Pro, like new, for $360...not sure if I should wait for a sale.

Kyoufu

HDMI handshake issues with PS4 Pro on my E6 seem to be getting worse and worse.

Now all I can get on my screen is "Invalid Format", which requires a TV restart.

KillGore

Why would you buy something used to save $40 ?

Because I spent $2,000 on a tv and $300 on an audio system. Every dollar counts lol

I've purchased things from amazon warehouse before and they seem brand new. I'll keep looking out for Pro deals. Really should've bitten when it was around $340 around November.

Yukstin

Question for the gamers. I like using the LG Tru Motion setting of User and turning De-Judder to 0 and De-Blur to 10.

Will this notably impact lag at all when gaming? I know it is processing the image and doing any type of processing will lead to issues, but it shouldn’t effect it that much if I leave it on?

I have noticed some lag differences between having this setting engaged on my ISF dark mode and in game mode which disables all processing. I noticed it more if I used game mode for a while and then switch to ISF which has the motion settings engaged.

Some people will notice lag more, some will notice it less. You should test each mode for a few hours to see if you notice a different going back and forth.

Also with true motion engaged, I was playing Kings Quest and I noticed some artifacting around character faces in cut scenes. When I enabled game mode, those artifacts disappeared.

Yukstin

Now all I can get on my screen is "Invalid Format", which requires a TV restart.

I really want to pick up a Pro for Horizon but I see a lot of issues with handshaking. Do you think I should wait until they patch the C6/E6 series to fix the issues?

dallow_bg

nods at old men

This is worrying.
Is it only when trying to watch 4K video content via streaming apps?

Have LG acknowledged the issue?

Heysoos

Setting up my Xbox One S on my B6 now. What settings should I turning on and using, etc? Also what's the latest firmware for the HDR gaming fix?

Because I spent $2,000 on a tv and $300 on an audio system. Every dollar counts lol

I've purchased things from amazon warehouse before and they seem brand new. I'll keep looking out for Pro deals. Really should've bitten when it was around $340 around November.

Never cheap out on buying used electronics, you will only regret it down the line.

b0bbyJ03

does anyone have an recommendations for streaming any 4K sports. Like any apps, websites, products, etc that will allow me to do it? I ordered DirecTV last year and those slick bastards tricked me with their fine print. They have a 4K channel but you can only watch it with one of the higher packages. Of course the website and the reps tell you that you only need the lowest package for 4K but what they don't tell you is that its only for pay per view. The 4k live broadcast channel is not part of that.

Kyoufu

I really want to pick up a Pro for Horizon but I see a lot of issues with handshaking. Do you think I should wait until they patch the C6/E6 series to fix the issues?

Nah. Who knows when that will be, if ever.

This is worrying.
Is it only when trying to watch 4K video content via streaming apps?

Have LG acknowledged the issue?

It happens when I either boot up the Pro or when I boot up a game. I don't use streaming apps on the Pro. I'll have to contact LG about the issue and see what they say.

PrimeBeef

I have a question about upgrading to 4k. Everything I see tells me unless I go around 100 inches I will not notice a difference since we sit around 11 feet from the TV. I read that they are not really making any high end 1080 sets anymore. Would it still be worth it to upgrade to 4k just for the quality?

Forgot to add Really only have room for up to a 70 inches and currently at 55 inches.

holygeesus

Banned

It happens when I either boot up the Pro or when I boot up a game. I don't use streaming apps on the Pro. I'll have to contact LG about the issue and see what they say.

Have you tried changing HDCP to 1.4? If you aren't using Netflix etc it will be fine. It's what I did before my B6 was patched.

Setting up my Xbox One S on my B6 now. What settings should I turning on and using, etc? Also what's the latest firmware for the HDR gaming fix?

Just go to the LG website and get the latest firmware:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED55B6P#manuals

First off, turn on the Deep Color option on the HDMI port you're using.

For SDR gaming (regular games) I like to use 2.2 gamma setting (medium setting in Game Mode, I think) with Brightness at 50, Contrast at 87 (though anywhere down to 80 is normal for most models I think), OLED Brightness at 75 (also up to you), Sharpness at 0, and Color at 45 (since wide color is forced in Game Mode), and Tint at 0. Make sure all the dynamic contrast, enhanced sharpening, and noise filtering stuff is off, and the trumotion stuff is off too, and you should be good.

For HDR Gaming, choose the HDR Game Mode and keep most of the settings at default. Just make sure your color gamut is set to "normal" in stead of "wide." Also, set color to 55, and I like Sharpness at 0. Also make sure the stuff like dynamic contrast, enhanced sharpening, noise filtering, and and trumotion stuff is off as well.

Oh and last thing, make sure to set the Xbox to TV mode instead of PC in the console's settings. The TV should already be set to low HDMI black level by default which is correct when using an Xbox.

For PS4, though, you can use the auto setting as it defaults to full range. I just set the PS4 to limited range and the TV at default low HDMI black level so I don't have to adjust the setting based on whichever console I use.

Matty8787

Anybody with a pro and an xd93? Wanting to know the settings they use in game mode if possible? Would also take other mode settings if somebody is willing to share.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Ah dang. In that case you can likely just change your HDCP to 1.4 as suggested. The other option is only needed for video content. (or at least I thought)

And are you plugged in via receiver or directly to TV?
I'll be using a new receiver in my case.

NYR

Assuming you just put them on a flash drive and plug it in to the TV to watch it?
Yep!

It really is a problem. I really don't know what to do, maybe we should all e-mail that guy at Forbes that got the fix stuff in last time....

By the time it is fixed, they likely won't be for sale anymore. I wouldn't wait.

jfoul

PSA: Best Buy has the Samsung KS8000 55 inch for $999 this week.

Amazon (Fulfillment/possibly no tax) has it right now for $997.99, and the 65 for $1,497.99. I'm really tempted, but I'm going to hold strong for an OLED.

I haven't been keeping up, but is there a deal on the LG OLEDs?

BumRush

I have a question about upgrading to 4k. Everything I see tells me unless I go around 100 inches I will not notice a difference since we sit around 11 feet from the TV. I read that they are not really making any high end 1080 sets anymore. Would it still be worth it to upgrade to 4k just for the quality?

Forgot to add Really only have room for up to a 70 inches and currently at 55 inches.

Even at 11' and 55"-65", you will definitely notice the difference between native 4K content on a good set vs. 1080P content (if your eyes aren't shit). Also, HDR isnt on 1080P sets and it is a game changer.

What's your budget?

Geneijin

No offense, but what's saving $40 worth at that point after buying a brand new TV and audio system? If money was a concern, saving $500 on the LG OLED would have been better, wouldn't it?

Yukstin

Yep!

By the time it is fixed, they likely won't be for sale anymore. I wouldn't wait.

I have the TV already, was just waiting on the Pro either offer a bundle with Horizon or go on sale again. I don't want to buy and then deal with waiting for a TV patch.

Do these issues only occur when directly plugging into the TV? I have a Yamaha receiver for pass through with all my devices.

Amazon (Fulfillment/possibly no tax) has it right now for $997.99, and the 65 for $1,497.99. I'm really tempted, but I'm going to hold strong for an OLED.

I haven't been keeping up, but is there a deal on the LG OLEDs?

The B6 55 inch is on sale at most places for $1999, but you can buy it with a credit card that does price protection and knock $500 of it by providing one on sale at websites like East Coast TVs for around $1499 to the credit card. Granted... don't actually go and try to buy an OLED from a retailer like East Cost TVs. Just use it for the credit card price protection claim.

is there any way to do hdmi deep color on my b6 while hooked to my pc? works fine otherwise, but just says invalid format when that's switched on.

Kyoufu

Ah dang. In that case you can likely just change your HDCP to 1.4 as suggested. The other option is only needed for video content. (or at least I thought)

And are you plugged in via receiver or directly to TV?
I'll be using a new receiver in my case.

Direct connection, no receiver.

Gonna disable HDCP and see if the problem goes away in the future.

PrimeBeef

Even at 11' and 55"-65", you will definitely notice the difference between native 4K content on a good set vs. 1080P content (if your eyes aren't shit). Also, HDR isnt on 1080P sets and it is a game changer.

What's your budget?
$1000- $1200. This will be the first purchase of my second career next summer after graduation.

Yeah, the auto-update always lags, it is useless. Just download it here.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P

It is under firmware. Download 04.30.77 and read the PDF under that section on how to install.

SW File(Version 04.30.77) for OLED*5B6P-U,**UH7500-UA,**UH7700-UB,70UH6350-UB

I need help updating the firmware of my LG 65B6P. My firmware version is still 04.30.65 so I downloaded 04.30.77, unzipped it, and saved it to a USB flash drive in folder LG_DTV. When I put it in my TV, it's not recognizing the update. I don't get the "USB Connected" or "USB Update Ready" messages that the .pdf mentions. I can select the USB as an input, but it will only recognize photo/video and music files. Any ideas?

Direct connection, no receiver.

Gonna disable HDCP and see if the problem goes away in the future.

The frustrating thing is that the problem only seems to have appeared with the .90 HDR game mode FW.
Both that one and the newer 0.95 still aren't avaliable via the online update. One can only hope that it has to do with LG being aware of the PS4 Pro handshaking issues and working on fixing it.

When is that?

March at the earliest in the US, more likely April in Europe.

NYR

I need help updating the firmware of my LG 65B6P. My firmware version is still 04.30.65 so I downloaded 04.30.77, unzipped it, and saved it to a USB flash drive in folder LG_DTV. When I put it in my TV, it's not recognizing the update. I don't get the "USB Connected" or "USB Update Ready" messages that the .pdf mentions. I can select the USB as an input, but it will only recognize photo/video and music files. Any ideas?
Are you using a USB 3.0 device? I've always had the pop up appear. Try plugging it in and then turning the tv off and on again? Sounds like you're doing everything right.

The file you downloaded should have been nearly a gig - what's the file name? Can you take a screenshot?

You're in The US?

Are you using a USB 3.0 device? I've always had the pop up appear. Try plugging it in and then turning the tv off and on again? Sounds like you're doing everything right.

The file you downloaded should have been nearly a gig - what's the file name? Can you take a screenshot?

You're in The US?

It's a 2.0 flash drive, a Sandisk Cruzer. Does it need to be 3.0? Also, I did try turning the TV off and on again.

AddiF

Sigh.. I'm not sure what to do.

I really like my E6, but I'm starting to think real hard if I love it. It has gorgeous black levels and amazing color. It's also brighter than I thought. I really love watching 4K wildlife and nature videos on this thing. Cities around the globe in 4K look amazing too. But what is bothering me, is lack of smoothness in games and in some movies. Titanfall 2 and Overwatch on PS4 look really good and so did Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K until my PS4 Pro crashed on me like 10 times and I had to have it replaced... and still haven't received the replacement console. Figures...

Anyways... Sure, I can turn on clear motion or put it on smooth but.. the artifacts. The artifacts. They're killing me. Artifacts and judder. It almost feels like the TV jumps a frame or two here and there. If I put it in Game mode, the input lag is fine and it doesn't really bother me in the first place, but the picture movement gets choppy and what I've found out is that I'm really sensitive to these things.

I posted recently about the slightly curved screen I have and the screen being warmer on the right side. LG responded to my email saying the curve is normal and OK, but are looking into the warmness of one side of the screen. However, I noticed a shadowy vertical line to the left of the center of the screen when viewing a white image. Eh????

Do I have it set up wrong or is these things the downsides of OLEDs? I really want to love this thing but I'm having a hard time here :(

I'd like to buy a TV this week. Replacing an old Samsung DLP 60-something" that is on the end of its second bulb (starting to look really dim). I have a budget of right at $2000. Priorities are 4K, HDR, wall-mountable. I do game a bit, but it would be mainly used for TV and movies. The games I play aren't super fast-paced, things like open world games and such.

I'm torn between going as big as possible for the money (so 65" - 75") versus the LG OLED where I can only get 55" for $2000. I've seen the Samsung KS8000 mentioned and at 65" and $1500 that's not too bad (and I have a bit of loyalty toward Samsung). Willing to branch out and try another reputable brand, however.

I have a PS4, will soon get a Xbox One S (gots to play my old XBLA games and RDR!) and send everything through a Denon AVR-S710W receiver -- is that going to be an issue? Will I need to upgrade for HDR pass-through support (or whatever, AV buying isn't my strong suit)?

Anyhow, any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Sigh.. I'm not sure what to do.

I really like my E6, but I'm starting to think real hard if I love it. It has gorgeous black levels and amazing color. It's also brighter than I thought. I really love watching 4K wildlife and nature videos on this thing. Cities around the globe in 4K look amazing too. But what is bothering me, is lack of smoothness in games and in some movies. Titanfall 2 and Overwatch on PS4 look really good and so did Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K until my PS4 Pro crashed on me like 10 times and I had to have it replaced... and still haven't received the replacement console. Figures...

Anyways... Sure, I can turn on clear motion or put it on smooth but.. the artifacts. The artifacts. They're killing me. Artifacts and judder. It almost feels like the TV jumps a frame or two here and there. If I put it in Game mode, the input lag is fine and it doesn't really bother me in the first place, but the picture movement gets choppy and what I've found out is that I'm really sensitive to these things.

I posted recently about the slightly curved screen I have and the screen being warmer on the right side. LG responded to my email saying the curve is normal and OK, but are looking into the warmness of one side of the screen. However, I noticed a shadowy vertical line to the left of the center of the screen when viewing a white image. Eh????

Do I have it set up wrong or is these things the downsides of OLEDs? I really want to love this thing but I'm having a hard time here :(

This is a bummer. First I've heard anyone in this thread cite bad motion on an LG OLED. That is what I'm most concerned about, TBH. I have a nice plasma and it's essentially like watching a CRT in that regard -- VERY little artifacting or motion issues. If spend big money on a TV and start seeing tiles or artifacts .... I'm going to be really bummed out and, frankly, pissed off.

Top Bottom