• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Paz

I don't really know anything about 4k or HDR. So just having an HDR TV won't enhance the movie/ show unless the source has HDR?

Yes, think of HDR as extra information like 4k is, even if your TV is 4k you won't see the benefits of that with a 480p source.

Of course TV's have upscaling options for you to create artificial detail, and most HDR TV's will have a similar mode for HDR that utilizes the expanded capabilities regardless of the source, but you really shouldn't use any of those options as you're not seeing the content properly.

You'll need a UHD blu ray player and a HDR movie to see the real difference, or netflix/amazon have some HDR content, or some new released video games have HDR modes.

NYR

Question. Does HDR do anything for watching standard blu-rays?
HDR is not a "option" to turn on for any content per say, it is a process, kind of like Dolby Digital. The disc has to have HDR encoded on it, and would only be on 4K Blu Ray for physical discs.

So to answer your question, no, HDR does not upscale non HDR content or convert it. There is a setting on TVs now that say HDR Effect that fake HDR but it is really just messing with the contrast, brightness and Dynamic Contrast settings.

PSA: Best Buy has the Samsung KS8000 55 inch for $999 this week.

Damn, do I bite on this or spend the extra money on newer sets this year?

Really want to prioritize lag and screen quality over size and this looks to be a damn good deal.

edit: also, do i buy extended warranty? ive had products that couldnt be replaced because they were no longer made and best buy credit me with full msrp price (minus extended warranty fee) which gave me enough to buy newer models? Still work the same way?

KillGore

Wow, this tv is really something else, isn't it? I've never had such a high end tv. This is crazy good.

Damn, do I bite on this or spend the extra money on newer sets this year?

Really want to prioritize lag and screen quality over size and this looks to be a damn good deal.

I'd bite if I were you. The KS8000 are beautiful sets. But that's just me.

Lucifon

Still waiting on the HDR Game Mode update for the B6 in the UK. US had it weeks now, frustratingly not heard anything from LG UK. Does anyone have any info?

Hayvic

Sorry for crossposting but the other thread is not as active it seems. I posted this in the Bravia X800D / XD80 thread:

I bit the bullet and got this TV as a replacement for me not having a TV. Very satisfied so far however I can't connect my PC to it. I'm using the same HDMI cable as I use to connect my monitor. Tried all the HDMI ports but every time I get the no signal message. PC has a GTX970 running at 1080P. Am I missing something? Should I do something in the nividia control panel?

hivycox

Still waiting on the HDR Game Mode update for the B6 in the UK. US had it weeks now, frustratingly not heard anything from LG UK. Does anyone have any info?

I'm also waiting here in germany. No more infos. Maybe they have some localisation issues.

trickstar

so GAF which should i go for?

KS8000 60" (60KS70000 UK) or LG B6 55"

will be mainly used for 4K and 1080p Blu-Rays
maybe 10% gaming

What is going on with the OLED B6 vs the C6? Rtings say the OLED B6 has better peak contrast than the C6 and the specifications are virtually identical excluding the 3D, yet AVS Forums is saying that the C6 has better peak brightness and a better processor than the B6 with less input lag(unless that is pre-patch). Then in other sites, I hear they are identical in everything except the 3D. Does anyone know which it is?

Yes, think of HDR as extra information like 4k is, even if your TV is 4k you won't see the benefits of that with a 480p source.

Of course TV's have upscaling options for you to create artificial detail, and most HDR TV's will have a similar mode for HDR that utilizes the expanded capabilities regardless of the source, but you really shouldn't use any of those options as you're not seeing the content properly.

You'll need a UHD blu ray player and a HDR movie to see the real difference, or netflix/amazon have some HDR content, or some new released video games have HDR modes.

HDR is not a "option" to turn on for any content per say, it is a process, kind of like Dolby Digital. The disc has to have HDR encoded on it, and would only be on 4K Blu Ray for physical discs.

So to answer your question, no, HDR does not upscale non HDR content or convert it. There is a setting on TVs now that say HDR Effect that fake HDR but it is really just messing with the contrast, brightness and Dynamic Contrast settings.
Thanks.

holygeesus

Banned
What is going on with the OLED B6 vs the C6? Rtings say the OLED B6 has better peak contrast than the C6 and the specifications are virtually identical excluding the 3D, yet AVS Forums is saying that the C6 has better peak brightness and a better processor than the B6 with less input lag(unless that is pre-patch). Then in other sites, I hear they are identical in everything except the 3D. Does anyone know which it is?

B6 is slightly brighter as it doesn't do 3D.
B6 has less input lag now (if you are in the US - EU update is on the way)
B6 has a *different* processor (SoC) there is no evidence that it is inferior in any way.

Weevilone

B6 is slightly brighter as it doesn't do 3D.
B6 has less input lag now (if you are in the US - EU update is on the way)
B6 has a *different* processor (SoC) there is no evidence that it is inferior in any way.

Also B6 doesn't feel like you'll break it when you move it to your stand. The E6 just feels insanely fragile.

KillGore

How did I watch tv and movies before the B6? I never want to go back

With the right settings, it feels like the jump from SD to HD, almost.

Also, true motion is crap. Pure crap.

Caleb187

Got the OLED55B6P. Took awhile to get my PC and 1070 to output the correct settings.

First I had to change over the TV to Deep Color and receiver to 18Gbps mode. Then I had to remove my HDMI to DP adapter and just plug the HDMI cable straight in. Only then could I select 3840x2160, 60hz, 32bit color, 12bpc, 4:2:0.

Tried some 4K movies, wow they look great. Also tried the Abzu game in 4K. Looked great but even with that simple game my 1070 was having trouble holding 60fps.

Dude, stop! I can't be scrapping more money off the couch hahaahah! 😭😭

Reddline

Neo Member
Do you guys recommend the LG 65" E6 or B6? Is the extra $1k worth it for the E6? Only major differences are the speakers, glass finish and 3D right?

Dave_6

Do you guys recommend the LG 65" E6 or B6? Is the extra $1k worth it for the E6? Only major differences are the speakers, glass finish and 3D right?

I had my eye on the E6 for months but bought a B6 last week. Since 3D looks to be on the outs, I didn't figure the E was worth $1000 more even though it does look a little nicer.

Agreed. Only problem with OLED is that you actually see how shitty a shitty source can be. Low bit rate videos look terrible when you see all the dark detail you would never see on other TVs.

ViciousDS

Banned
Hey guys

I have a MX279H monitor and llooovveeeeee it. Was planning on gifting it to my cousin and grabbing another same model.

I really love the colors IPS produce and the response on the mx279h being the fastest still at 9ms for input lag.

Have TN panels come a long way or are they still pretty inferior to an IPS panel.

I really can't decide on anything in the $300 range for a 27 inch monitor that comes even close to the mx279h

Btw I console game only so gsync and freesync means nothing to me

Midas

I can't get over the blacks on the B6. It's like the TV is not even on. It's crazy. Maybe I'm extra sensitive coming from an 8 year old KDL-40W4000.

I'm still going back and forth on whether I want to buy a damn good 1080p set (65 ") vs a 4K set when said tech will only get better. I do plan to own a Ps4Pro and Scorpio this year. What I fear, particularly for Scorpio, is that the 4K will come at too much of cost in performance. I'm a performance over picture quality guy so I just want to make sure I make the right choice and not romantacize the wrong one.

With that said, let me ask: if I DO get a 4K TV, can I control when I can use it to watch/play 1080p content or is it all automatically upscaled?

NYR

I can't get over the blacks on the B6. It's like the TV is not even on. It's crazy. Maybe I'm extra sensitive coming from an 8 year old KDL-40W4000.
That is because technically it isn't, haha! The power of OLED means ability to turn on or off individual pixels. This means when you need black, the actual pixel isn't even on which results in perfect black. Amazing tech.

datamage

Crazy, right? Sometimes things look like they're floating in front of you in a pitch black room. (Like a symbol or something in a loading screen, since all you see is that one object.)

TLZ

Banned
So the original PS4 has HDR support, right? Is it real HDR? I mean, it's not 4K. If it is, how do I activate it?

Just make sure you have the latest ps4 fw and play an hdr game and it will be auto detected. (Obviously turn on hdr and deep color in ps4 display settings)

III-V

So the original PS4 has HDR support, right? Is it real HDR? I mean, it's not 4K. If it is, how do I activate it?

HDR specification does not necessarily include 4K, it will be at 1080p from the OG PS4, then upscaled of the 4K TV. No current 1080p sets support any form of HDR.

CuNi

Anyone knows if its worth to buy either a LG 49UH620V or a Samsung KU6079?
Which one of those both is even the better one? Damn I'm so clueless when it comes to TV's...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is because technically it isn't, haha! The power of OLED means ability to turn on or off individual pixels. This means when you need black, the actual pixel isn't even on which results in perfect black. Amazing tech.

honestly on my current (and even previous) LCD, the blacks seemed great - black bars blending into the bezel. Current TV is an X93D, but the previous one was a Sony 50W685 so only a mid-range set (although I think VA panel?)

I don't watch in a completely dark room though. OLED is objectively better, but some LCDs can go dark enough that they still look great. Not a fan of the haloing on captions etc because of the local dimming - clearly thats something where OLED has a massive advantage.

holygeesus

Banned
honestly on my current (and even previous) LCD, the blacks seemed great - black bars blending into the bezel. Current TV is an X93D, but the previous one was a Sony 50W685 so only a mid-range set (although I think VA panel?)

I don't watch in a completely dark room though. OLED is objectively better, but some LCDs can go dark enough that they still look great. Not a fan of the haloing on captions etc because of the local dimming - clearly thats something where OLED has a massive advantage.

You tend to lose details with local dimming too.

Top Bottom