• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

These "feed oled shit and it looks like shit" posts are scaring me. Most content today is kind of shit, no?

It's down to the viewer again.

My kids and wife watch crap content (you tube etc) on my B6 but don't even notice the difference. I have to watch anything like that on the Mac.

Netflix HD stuff is fine, even for me. Sky (UK) HD is fine. It's all just fine on the B6.

I take "shit" as referring to lower than 1080p or poor compression stuff (that I don't really understand). Most commercial sources are fine.

sector4

Ouch, don't do that to them. It's a terrible transfer.

Bloody hell you're not wrong :\ I did some A-B comparisons between the 4K disk and the Blu Ray, and wow, someone stuffed that up pretty bad...

Such a shame, as there is some extra detail there, but the black levels are completely off. Reminds me of the Expendables 3 disk, but it's not as pronounced as that was.

Thanks for the heads up though, we ended up watching The Magnificent Seven on 4K BD instead, and that looked... Magnificent :p

I had the XBR49X800D - the one with an IPS panel. It's pretty damn good for an IPS honestly. But that's not what you're looking it since the XBR43X800D has a VA panel. I mainly bought it because of affordability, performance, value, and screen size at the time and I liked it, but temptation got me in the end... Sold it after owning it for less than a month and upgraded to a OLED55C6P because I found a deal for it on eBay. With that said, I'd still suggest the XBR43X800D over the UN49KS8000 because 1.) you're considering between the two. so you think they're both worthwhile, 2.) it's a $250 difference, 3.) both are edge-lit displays, and frankly, even though the UN49KS8000 has local dimming unlike the XBR43X800D, it's not worth the extra money personally when compared to Full-Array Local Dimming (FALD), and 4.) the UN49KS8000 may have a peak brightness of like 1,400 listed on rtings.com, but it's useless when calibrating your grayscale if it can't sustain that level of luminance. The UN49KS8000 however is the better TV for a very bright room since it can sustain 500 nits compared to the 375 nits the XBR43X800D outputs. Sure, you can spend the extra money and get the overall better HDTV at the end of the day as the UN49KS800 is a brighter HDTV and has local dimming with a higher static contrast ratio, but they have very similar color volumes. I think you'd be surprised at the comparison in a head-to-head. It's why I suggest saving the money and upgrading again in 3-5 years because frankly, imagine the KS8000 but with better viewing angles and (I'm assuming) higher sustainable luminance levels since they're touting up to 2,000 nits for peak brightness that's releasing later this year.

I had a similar choice, but as it turned out the Samsung was an extra £200 (which I didn't have) and with those silly edge feet meant the TV wouldn't fit on my TV unit I ended up buying the 49 inch XD800 (specifically the XD8077). For the money (£585) it's been fantastic, HDR content looks incredible to me, incredibly vibrant, really 'pops'. 4k stuff looks amazing and the TV does a fantastic job of upscaling non 4k content. HDR seems bright enough to me, looking at the sun in the Witness or leaving a dark cave and entering a sunny area in uncharted 4 actually makes me have to squint. It's still a 10 bit panel so HDR performance is half decent. The wide colour gamut adds a subtle level of realism to the picture that o didn't think I would appreciate as much as I do, it's a much more natural coloured picture than my last Sony I had.

I will say that the blacks aren't the blackest, so if you play it in a very dark room it's going to look a bit greyer so the KS8000 might be a better choice. I play in a darkish room so it's not an issue for me. Grey uniformity isn't the best, you can really see the dirty screen effect when panning across solid colours for example in The Witness, but it's not an issue in scenes with more going on. Input lag in game mode is pretty low, 35ms; I have noticed a slight improvement in my Battlefield 1 performance, but not enough for me to be sure it's not just placebo.

Overall though, I've been extremely pleased with it, Ps4 pro games look amazing, uncharted 4 in HDR just blew my mind, Resi 7 looks amazing, the 4k stuff I've streamed looks incredible. For the money it's been a solid purchase. The KS8000 is doubtless the better TV but in the real world with my eyes and my disposable income, the x800 has been wonderful.

Thank you both for your help and explanations! I think I will get the X800D because it is the one I was originally looking at and feeling content with. The size also makes more sense for my setup and the extra money I'd pay for the KS8000 probably wouldn't warrant the noticeable, but otherwise minor, difference in HDR. I'd be extremely happy with the X800D if it can still show great results with HDR.

Dave_6

Shit sources, such as SD content, look like shit on my Kuro. I would expect the same or worse on a 4K display.

My B6 is arriving today and bar anything being wrong with it, I am planning on messing with it all night.

If I were to buy either right now, what would be better for the money: a Sony X800D 49 inch or a Samsung KS8000 49 inch? Sony is $750 and Samsung is $900 on Best Buy right now.

Nevermind, reading this thread now. I'll probably do the X800D at 750.

TheBoss1

If I were to buy either right now, what would be better for the money: a Sony X800D 49 inch or a Samsung KS8000 49 inch? Sony is $750 and Samsung is $900 on Best Buy right now.

The 49" Sony is an IPS panel, which has worse contrast ratio than the VA panel. Unless you care too much about viewing angles, I would stay away from that one.

The 43" Sony has the VA panel but that's if your willing to go smaller in TV size.

With that said, there's a post not to far above ours that compares the 2 sets. Check it out.

tmdorsey

To the OLED owners, particularly the ones who went from a mid to high tier LCD set to an OLED, how is the motion blur on the OLED compared to LCD? I've been reading reports of OLED sets being worse than the mid-to-high range sets in this area which is kinda concerning seeing how I already notice the motion blur on my current LCD.

For a little context, I may have an opportunity to replace my current set 2015 65" Samsung JS8500 with a newer set. I'm trying to decide if i want to go with the 2016 equivalent of my set the KS8000/KS8500 or pay a little extra and go OLED.

The motion blur issues and near black issues frankly bother me a little more than the black performance of the edge-lit KS set as I view tv mostly in a bright or dimly lit room and I was content for the most part with the black performance of my JS8500. My viewing in a totally dark room would be very limited.

I personally don't understand the motion blur issues that OLED supposedly has. Are we talking about ghosting or is it based on some recent testing?

It was the opposite experience for me. I use an ec9300 for strictly gaming, and motion frame to frame is so clean.

holygeesus

Banned
There is no ghosting. The pixel response time is almost zero. I prefer watching fast moving sport on my OLED to watching it previously on my Kuro plasma, so take that how you like. Any perceived motion blur, is a side effect of sample and hold, and despite what people will have you believe, is not likely to be massively improved with the new sets, including Sony's.

tmdorsey

There is no ghosting. The pixel response time is almost zero. I prefer watching fast moving sport on my OLED to watching it previously on my Kuro plasma, so take that how you like. Any perceived motion blur, is a side effect of sample and hold, and despite what people will have you believe, is not likely to be massively improved with the new sets, including Sony's.

Right. My question is how does the motion blur compare with a good LCD set.

Jigolo

To the OLED owners, particularly the ones who went from a mid to high tier LCD set to an OLED, how is the motion blur on the OLED compared to LCD? I've been reading reports of OLED sets being worse than the mid-to-high range sets in this area which is kinda concerning seeing how I already notice the motion blur on my current LCD.

For a little context, I may have an opportunity to replace my current set 2015 65" Samsung JS8500 with a newer set. I'm trying to decide if i want to go with the 2016 equivalent of my set the KS8000/KS8500 or pay a little extra and go OLED.

The motion blur issues and near black issues frankly bother me a little more than the black performance of the edge-lit KS set as I view tv mostly in a bright or dimly lit room and I was content for the most part with the black performance of my JS8500. My viewing in a totally dark room would be very limited.
Can you wait until TVs arrive with HDMI 2.1?

holygeesus

Banned
Right. My question is how does the motion blur compare with a good LCD set.

It's going to be better as the response time is 0. Zero trails like you get with LCD.

Edit - sorry, you said motion blur. You will get motion blur but no ghosting. In general, motion is an improvement on OLED over any LCD IMO.

Paragon

There will be less motion blur on the OLED unless your LCD has a Blur Reduction mode which strobes/scans the backlight (e.g. Sony's Impulse mode) or if you use 240Hz interpolation. (OLED is 120Hz)

bosseye

The 49" Sony is an IPS panel, which has worse contrast ratio than the VA panel. Unless you care too much about viewing angles, I would stay away from that one.

The 43" Sony has the VA panel but that's if your willing to go smaller in TV size.

With that said, there's a post not to far above ours that compares the 2 sets. Check it out.

Probably worth pointing out that the 43" XD80 with the VA panel apparently doesn't have wide colour gamut which the 49" does have, which I understand you ideally want for HDR. As you say though, the 49 is an IPS panel so not as good in terms of contrast.

It's always a compromise when you're looking at TVs around this value I think. As long as you make peace with that and accept that it's not going to be perfect in all areas.

Is there a sense of when the next rev of the B6/E6 will be coming out? I'm thinking of picking up one but no real sense of what the release cadence is and whether I should wait a bit (I see some mention of 2.1 sets for instance below).

ss_lemonade

Not an OLED owner but as far as I know, you will still get blurring when it comes to motion. RTINGS review of their B6 for example shows just that on the motion blur section

b6-motion-blur-small.jpg

I guess for others, no motion blur means 0 image trails or something but wouldn't that be good response times instead? So far in my limited TV experience, you need a TV that can do black frame insertion to eliminate that kind of blur and give you near CRT like clarity, at the expense of a drop in brightness. My Sony w900a has it's impulse mode to do just that (which is cool since you can use it together with game mode) and I expect newer Sony sets to have a similar option. Samsung has their own version with the LED Clear Motion setting which unfortunately cannot be used together with game mode but it barely does anything for some reason on my ks9000 (I heard that the implementation there is broken, but working as intended on the ks8000 which is odd). Not sure about LG and their LCDs/OLEDs

tmdorsey

Can you wait until TVs arrive with HDMI 2.1?

Has it been confirmed that HDMI 2.1 is a hardware upgrade as opposed to a firmware upgrade? If it's a hardware upgrade then I would think that we wouldn't start to see sets supporting it until mid-late this year or maybe this time next year. I don't want to wait that long.

It's going to be better as the response time is 0. Zero trails like you get with LCD.

Edit - sorry, you said motion blur. You will get motion blur but no ghosting. In general, motion is an improvement on OLED over any LCD IMO.

There will be less motion blur on the OLED unless your LCD has a Blur Reduction mode which strobes/scans the backlight (e.g. Sony's Impulse mode) or if you use 240Hz interpolation. (OLED is 120Hz)

My set does a blur reduction mode, but I'm not sure about the 240Hz interpolation. I guess I will just have to judge myself in person.

Traxtech

Blur trail doesn't exist on oled which is why some people don't like it, I love motion on my oled..its all up to the viewers discretion. I took my Samsung Ks8000 back because I hated the motion blur for instant (unless it was at Max back light which was wayyyyy1too bright for general viewing)

Also to the people worried about low res on a oled. I play ps3 sometimes on my 55 inch b6 oled and I am amazed at the quality. One of the reasons I waited to jump up in res was because I play alot of sub 1080p games. The upscaler is fantastic

Get an oled and get ready to be amazed. I was in the shoes of doubt before I got mine and man, it's a game changer.

holygeesus

Banned
Blur trail doesn't exist on oled which is why some people don't like it, I love motion on my oled..its all up to the viewers discretion. I took my Samsung Ks8000 back because I hated the motion blur for instant (unless it was at Max back light which was wayyyyy1too bright for general viewing)

Exactly, motion preference is a subjective thing. I hate motion trails that you get on LCD and don't find motion blur in any way distracting when gaming, so it's a win-win for me. When you couple that with all the other positives of the tech, gaming on an OLED is just heaven.

Edit - incidentally, the Sony OLED prices have allegedly leaked. $4k for the 55" and $5.5k for the 65". Due mid-April. No idea if they are accurate, but it's word on the streets. Looks likely to be a $=£ deal for us in the UK too, so a bit of a bummer if confirmed.

Edit - incidentally, the Sony OLED prices have allegedly leaked. $4k for the 55" and $5.5k for the 65". Due mid-April. No idea if they are accurate, but it's word on the streets. Looks likely to be a $=£ deal for us in the UK too, so a bit of a bummer if confirmed.

Man, this would be an absolute Megaton if true. But I kinda doubt it.

Paragon

Not an OLED owner but as far as I know, you will still get blurring when it comes to motion. RTINGS review of their B6 for example shows just that on the motion blur section
Yes, the issue is pixel response time vs image persistence.
You could have an 0.001ms response time but if you don't do anything to reduce image persistence, you will have 16.67ms of motion blur at 60 FPS. (and twice that at 30)
An LCD might have a slow 5ms response time, but only 8ms motion blur if it has a blur reduction mode that reduces image persistence.

Exactly, motion preference is a subjective thing.
The only reason motion is subjective right now is because there are no displays which do everything right.

LCDs with blur reduction modes have a high response time, and low image persistence.
OLED has low response times, but high image persistence.

A display with low response times and low image persistence would be objectively better than either, and I don't think anyone would disagree.

It shouldn't be surprising since it's Sony, but that's means the 55" model is going to be 2.5x the price of a 55B6 here, and 1.6x the price of a 65B6.
I'm starting to think that I should be jumping on a C6 or E6 before they're no longer available, despite their shortcomings.
The rumored prices for the 7 series OLEDs from LG were quite a bit higher than the current models too.

holygeesus

Banned
The only reason motion is subjective right now is because there are no displays which do everything right.

Agree 100%. It's certainly more a limitation of the tech though in each case. Pick your poison. No TV is perfect.

It shouldn't be surprising since it's Sony, but that's means the 55" model is going to be 2.5x the price of a 55B6 here, and 1.6x the price of a 65B6.
I'm starting to think that I should be jumping on a C6 or E6 before they're no longer available, despite their shortcomings.
The rumored prices for the 7 series OLEDs from LG were quite a bit higher than the current models too.

Why would you avoid the B6, out of interest? It is currently the best for gaming of the entire 6 series.

Just wanted to pop in as I haven't posted since CES (but have been regularly checking the chatter). I was all set to go with the Sony x930d when it was on sale at BB last week, but with the wife with me, she let me go full fantasy and pick up the 65c6p.

In light of all the reviews and impressions on the net, I'm confident that this buy will be good for me for the next 4-5 years. Quick question for those with any of the LG OLEDs, where did you go for the best input on the proper settings to use depending on the mode/source? To start I'll be using the ps4 pro for gaming, the xbox one S for gaming and 4k Blu Ray and Blu Rays and probably the TV apps for anything not covered in the streaming apps from PS4 or Xbox (so not really any). My main concern is do you have to switch viewing modes when going from a game to a movie on the Xbox or does the TV recognize the content (similar to what it does with an HDR signal)?

Again, thanks for the insight given on here! You all are great!

Yukstin

Just wanted to pop in as I haven't posted since CES (but have been regularly checking the chatter). I was all set to go with the Sony x930d when it was on sale at BB last week, but with the wife with me, she let me go full fantasy and pick up the 65c6p.

In light of all the reviews and impressions on the net, I'm confident that this buy will be good for me for the next 4-5 years. Quick question for those with any of the LG OLEDs, where did you go for the best input on the proper settings to use depending on the mode/source? To start I'll be using the ps4 pro for gaming, the xbox one S for gaming and 4k Blu Ray and Blu Rays and probably the TV apps for anything not covered in the streaming apps from PS4 or Xbox (so not really any). My main concern is do you have to switch viewing modes when going from a game to a movie on the Xbox or does the TV recognize the content (similar to what it does with an HDR signal)?

Again, thanks for the insight given on here! You all are great!

I have the C6 as well. I use ISF dark room for DirecTV, blu-ray and streaming. When I play a game I switch to game mode so I get the best input response rate.

Same thing for HDR, I have a standard HDR for streaming and 4k blu-ray content and then engage HDR game mode for games.

For both game and ISF Dark room, I have been able to dial in the settings for panel brightness, contrast and color to be pretty close to each other. The difference is game mode turns off trumotion and any extra processing to get the best response rate.

Also depending on your room setup you may need to have ISF bright room if you have a lot of windows and watch TV during the day. You'll need to increase the OLED backlight to eliminate glare etc.

I can tell if a difference if I don't have game mode on when playing a game. There is just a hint of lag with me. Some people might not be able to tell a difference though so you'll want to do some testing.

Geneijin

Thank you both for your help and explanations! I think I will get the X800D because it is the one I was originally looking at and feeling content with. The size also makes more sense for my setup and the extra money I'd pay for the KS8000 probably wouldn't warrant the noticeable, but otherwise minor, difference in HDR. I'd be extremely happy with the X800D if it can still show great results with HDR.
Lots of people who debate between the X800D and KS8000 opt for the latter mainly because of the bigger screen size options plus the VA panel availability and its benefits unlike the sparse 49 inch only offering from Sony, which is an IPS panel moreover. Still, I figure if you were considering the XBR43X800D, you'd be content with the smaller Sony TV since the picture quality is comparable. The bigger jump is either a 2016 LG OLED or the Sony ZD9 personally, but well, they're $$$$.

Nevermind, reading this thread now. I'll probably do the X800D at 750.
The XBR49X800D has an IPS panel versus the KS8000 series VA panels. The KS8000 is the best choice for that size if you must have a 49" unless you need good viewing angles and can sacrifice deeper blacks and better contrast, then maybe consider the XBR49X800D.

Probably worth pointing out that the 43" XD80 with the VA panel apparently doesn't have wide colour gamut which the 49" does have, which I understand you ideally want for HDR. As you say though, the 49 is an IPS panel so not as good in terms of contrast.

It's always a compromise when you're looking at TVs around this value I think. As long as you make peace with that and accept that it's not going to be perfect in all areas.
They both support WCG. Source for this?

Paragon

Agree 100%. It's certainly more a limitation of the tech though in each case. Pick your poison. No TV is perfect.
OLED's motion handling is not a limitation of the tech, it's a limitation of the options provided on the displays. That's why it's so frustrating.

Why would you avoid the B6, out of interest? It is currently the best for gaming of the entire 6 series.
If I'm going to buy one of the current OLED models instead of one of the 2017 or later models, it's because they have 3D support. The B6 lacks this.
I'm still very hesitant to buy one though, because I avoided buying one until now for a number of reasons, and it's only because the new models - and possibly every model going forwards - may never have 3D support again.
At the same time, despite games supporting VR - which takes a 3D image and warps it to fit in a headset - few new games are offering 3D support without VR.
I was really hoping that an increased number of VR games would also mean an increased number of 3D games, since supporting VR makes 3D support trivial.

RTINGS still list the B6 as having 70ms latency vs 34ms on the C6/E6 too.

Has it been confirmed that HDMI 2.1 is a hardware upgrade as opposed to a firmware upgrade? If it's a hardware upgrade then I would think that we wouldn't start to see sets supporting it until mid-late this year or maybe this time next year. I don't want to wait that long.
It's hardware.
It's possible that some of HDMI 2.1's features could be supported via a firmware update, but full support requires new hardware.
And due to the mess that happened with 2.0 allowing two tiers of support (basically 1.4 ports with new firmware, and proper 2.0 ports) it seems unlikely that they will make that same mistake again with 2.1

Dave_6

Got my B6 tonight. Got it hooked up and it works with no defects, which was a huge relief. Gorgeous display all around and it's actually a January '17 build and that was a surpise. I have yet to change any individual settings but I did immediately switch it to ISF expert dark room and it is still crazy bright. I mean wow; way too bright. I got my Pro setup as well and all the display settings look fine but when I tried Marco Polo on Netflix I didn't get the HDR/DV notification on screen. Anyone have any settings I can try for dark to near dark room? At least for tonight?

I tried using the built in Amazon app to check out the Grand Tour in 4K HDR but I can't seem to figure ARC with my receiver (Denon X4200W). I did switch the TV sound settings to use audio out/ARC.

Weevilone

Bloody hell you're not wrong :\ I did some A-B comparisons between the 4K disk and the Blu Ray, and wow, someone stuffed that up pretty bad...

Such a shame, as there is some extra detail there, but the black levels are completely off. Reminds me of the Expendables 3 disk, but it's not as pronounced as that was.

Thanks for the heads up though, we ended up watching The Magnificent Seven on 4K BD instead, and that looked... Magnificent :p

Hey sorry I missed your reply, haven't been watching the thread too closely.. Already having a new TV has taken some of the fun out of reading about new TVs I suppose.

Glad you had something else good to watch! Hopefully they'll get thru the UHD early days soon. Most stuff is done well. Elevated blacks is about the worst though.

Weevilone

Motion is subjective because like it or not, our sensory perception is not all the same. I remember having arguments with friends, standing in front of the same plasma. Some of us could see were green phosphor trails, while others couldn't see it one bit.

I wonder if Sony will offer a conventional stand for their OLEDs. I'm not concerned about the pricing, but they need to stand up like normal TVs or no sale. I don't ever wall mount TVs and I don't plan on starting now.

These "feed oled shit and it looks like shit" posts are scaring me. Most content today is kind of shit, no?

It's the same as feeding low quality compressed audio through an expensive home theater setup. You'll easily hear the shit quality of Youtube audio for instance, but feed it the lossless and uncompressed audio of Blu-ray and it sounds amazing.

holygeesus

Banned
OLED's motion handling is not a limitation of the tech, it's a limitation of the options provided on the displays. That's why it's so frustrating.

There is no option to reduce motion blur, beyond ditching sample and hold (which is not an option for OLED given their reduced brightness levels anyway) or using pixel strobing or frame interpolation, which is only going to be bad news for gaming, due to increased lag. Hence, it is a tech issue IMO.

There is no option to reduce motion blur, beyond ditching sample and hold (which is not an option for OLED given their reduced brightness levels anyway) or using pixel strobing or frame interpolation, which is only going to be bad news for gaming, due to increased lag. Hence, it is a tech issue IMO.

Black Frame Insertion remains on the table for OLED and the rumors are Sony are doing this in the A1E. In exchange for BFI between each refresh, you get brightness cut by 50% but it's not clear how bright the 2017 OLED panels can get. If Sony can hit 1000 nits with active BFI then the point is moot, and motion resolution will be vastly superior to OLED native.

wege12

Black Frame Insertion remains on the table for OLED and the rumors are Sony are doing this in the A1E. In exchange for BFI between each refresh, you get brightness cut by 50% but it's not clear how bright the 2017 OLED panels can get. If Sony can hit 1000 nits with active BFI then the point is moot, and motion resolution will be vastly superior to OLED native.

Sony hitting 1000 nits with BFI enabled this year is just not going to happen. That would mean their OLED is able to reach 2000 nits without BFI. If that were the case, Sony would have for sure mentioned that at CES as it would be over twice as bright as LG's OLED and rival LCDs.

I was all set to buy an OLED this year but after researching into the display tech, I've decided to wait for three specific reasons:

1. Improved motion handling (BFI most likely)
2. HDMI 2.1 support (variable refresh is what I'm excited for since I'm a gamer)
3. Improved near black detail

Hopefully I get my OLED wish list sooner rather than later especially since I'm rocking a 2008 42' Toshiba LCD.

holygeesus

Banned

If LG are offering very, very minor brightness improvements for their 2017 sets, if Sony managed the massive improvements you mention, they would have been singing about it from the rooftops at CES.

I think people put a little too much faith in the wizardry of Sony at times, and they may be in for a shock when their OLED comes out and offers little extra in comparison to the LG 2017 range.

Sony hitting 1000 nits with BFI enabled this year is just not going to happen. That would mean their OLED is able to reach 2000 nits without BFI. If that were the case, Sony would have for sure mentioned that at CES as it would be over twice as bright as LG's OLED and rival LCDs.

I was all set to buy an OLED this year but after researching into the display tech, I've decided to wait for three specific reasons:

1. Improved motion handling (BFI most likely)
2. HDMI 2.1 support (variable refresh is what I'm excited for since I'm a gamer)
3. Improved near black detail

Hopefully I get my OLED wish list sooner rather than later especially since I'm rocking a 2008 42' Toshiba LCD.

Yeah, I'm not happy about HDMI 2.0a on the 2017 TVs. They are basically already obsolete, which is a bit ridiculous. HDMI Forum should really strive to get implementation of newly announced standards on day 1, not some nebulous time frame 1-3 years down the road.

I guess I'm going to be sticking with my X900A for awhile longer yet.

If LG are offering very, very minor brightness improvements for their 2017 sets, if Sony managed the massive improvements you mention, they would have been singing about it from the rooftops at CES.

I think people put a little too much faith in the wizardry of Sony at times, and they may be in for a shock when their OLED comes out and offers little extra in comparison to the LG 2017 range.

Maybe. Sony still regards the Z9 series as their flagships and prices them accordingly, so they don't seem to place as much faith in their OLEDs as you would expect.

Looking at tvs and I really like the Vizio M-series. Price is an issue so we decided to keep it around $800. Is the M-series any good? I saw that it got good reviews on most sites.

Any problems with hdr with a PS4? I saw Vizio updated their firmware to include hdr10.

sector4

Hey sorry I missed your reply, haven't been watching the thread too closely.. Already having a new TV has taken some of the fun out of reading about new TVs I suppose.

Glad you had something else good to watch! Hopefully they'll get thru the UHD early days soon. Most stuff is done well. Elevated blacks is about the worst though.

No problems! I know what you mean, I've only been checking in every now and then since getting my TV to post some impressions here and there.

Yeah, that's only the second one I've seen with that issue but I can't believe it got pressed with that issue. So strange and baffling. But yeah, highly recommend Magnificent Seven for Audio / Video quality, great disk to show off 4K and HDR.

AddiF

Hi guys.

LG OLED owners... is this normal? I am maybe being too extreme here but I want quality when I throw thousands of dollars into a product. So I need your help on deciding if I should have it replaced or keep it.

Notice the warmer right side and cooler left side. Also shadowy vertical lines, more distinct to the left from center screen. The screen is also slightly curved which might be causing this (??) is this acceptable?

This is not as visible when viewing from the left or straight in front of it. It becomes a lot more visible when viewing from the right. I was watching American History X last night and in every black and white scene the right side of the screen had a slight sepia effect to it. It is frustrating.

jvRWP0n.jpg

m2ijXL5.jpg

Maybe this doesn't translate well in pictures but... Help me, TVgaf

Glaurungr

I'm looking at two different LG 49 inch TVs, the LG 49UH603V and LG 49UH650V. The second one is twice as expensive as the first here in Norway, but I don't see any huge differences other than that it is slimmer and has an extra USB port. Anyone have any experiences with these?

holygeesus

Banned
Hi guys.

LG OLED owners... is this normal? I am maybe being too extreme here but I want quality when I throw thousands of dollars into a product. So I need your help on deciding if I should have it replaced or keep it.

Notice the warmer right side and cooler left side. Also shadowy vertical lines, more distinct to the left from center screen. The screen is also slightly curved which might be causing this (??) is this acceptable?

This is not as visible when viewing from the left or straight in front of it. It becomes a lot more visible when viewing from the right. I was watching American History X last night and in every black and white scene the right side of the screen had a slight sepia effect to it. It is frustrating.

jvRWP0n.jpg

m2ijXL5.jpg

Maybe this doesn't translate well in pictures but... Help me, TVgaf

If you have to ask 'is this acceptable?' then it is clearly something you will not be able to live with, so you should take it back. Although taking screenshots off centre doesn't help us see your problem, as OLED sets, as good as the viewing angles are, show slight colour deviation (emphasised more on all-white images) when not viewed dead-on straight.

It is also normal for the edges to be slightly brighter. They are designed that way. In terms of vertical lines - try running a manual compensation cycle. Again, if this doesn't clear it, take it back. I can't see why anyone would keep something they have spent thousands on if they aren't happy with their purchase.

AddiF

If you have to ask 'is this acceptable?' then it is clearly something you will not be able to live with, so you should take it back. Although taking screenshots off centre doesn't help us see your problem, as OLED sets, as good as the viewing angles are, show slight colour deviation (emphasised more on all-white images) when not viewed dead-on straight.

It is also normal for the edges to be slightly brighter. They are designed that way. In terms of vertical lines - try running a manual compensation cycle. Again, if this doesn't clear it, take it back. I can't see why anyone would keep something they have spent thousands on if they aren't happy with their purchase.

Thank you. Maybe I'm just being too extreme, like I said. I see it in every scene where there are plenty of whites or gray tones. Slight "sepia" to the right of the screen or whites become a bit dull.

holygeesus

Banned
Thank you. Maybe I'm just being too extreme, like I said. I see it in every scene where there are plenty of whites or gray tones. Slight "sepia" to the right of the screen or whites become a bit dull.

If it is something that you find distracting during normal use, I still think you should return, if you have the option. It's a lot of money to spend on something you aren't happy with.

Top Bottom