• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

finalflame

Hm, patience does usually pay off as far as TVs go. Is your holdover set a B6?

Either a B6 or a C6, I hope. There are some deals out there right now on the C6 (iEletrica on eBay for $1499), and BB has them in-store for $1799 and I could use my CC's price protection to get it for $1299 (eBuy price, max $500 price protection match).

But yah..just waiting to be in my new apartment physically before deciding anything (1 more week). Then it'll be time to go ham :p

Yawnny

Either a B6 or a C6, I hope. There are some deals out there right now on the C6 (iEletrica on eBay for $1499), and BB has them in-store for $1799 and I could use my CC's price protection to get it for $1299 (eBuy price, max $500 price protection match).

I'm in a similar situation where I'll be able to pull the trigger when my tax return comes in. The dilemma I always have with purchasing a TV is it never seems like a good time. There's always something new right around the corner with sets always becoming less expensive and new sets come out. The B6 still seems like a good choice but then there's the C7 which is forecasted to be cheaper with the same quality display.

Overall these are positive dilemmas to be having.

EDIT: C7 not cheaper than B6.. just less expensive than the other 2017 models thus far.
Still not available in Canada by the looks of it :(

I feel like Linus and that other guy would compare 28ms to their monitors and call it slow too.

Nah, I feel like he's too lazy to update his video. He also isn't as big of a gamer (he admitted) as he used to be, so he probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

vpance

I'm in a similar situation where I'll be able to pull the trigger when my tax return comes in. The dilemma I always have with purchasing a TV is it never seems like a good time. There's always something new right around the corner with sets always becoming less expensive and new sets come out. The B6 still seems like a good choice but then there's the C7 which is forecasted to be cheaper with the same quality display.

EDIT: C7 not cheaper than B6.. just less expensive than the other 2017 models thus far.

B6 during last Black Friday was selling for $2000 at various places. That's the fair non-fleecing price for Canadians. I say wait, and if they never get back to down to that then wait for the C7.

But yah..just waiting to be in my new apartment physically before deciding anything (1 more week). Then it'll be time to go ham :p

Where is ebuy at? I need a link in case I want to do this.

finalflame

Which credit card company? Can it be done entirely online?

I use my Discover, as they are the most painless to deal with according to everyone online. You need to call them to initially make the claim, but the form you fill out is all done online. You just need your statement with the posted transaction, screenshot of website with the promotional price, and the receipt with the price you paid.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of a price protection claim I'm submitting right now to save $220 on an iPhone SE. I had to call to get the ball rolling, but then the rest is all done online and super straightforward:

GAuzIML.png

Yah, it's a tough spot. For me, however, the C7 would be roughly ~$1k more expensive, even with a good price (I think they are going for $2499 at Value Electronics). I can get a C6 at Best Buy right now for $1799 and use price protection to pay $1299 for it, and for a TV I don't plan to keep for more than 1-2 years, it seems silly to spend an extra $1200.

Yawnny

B6 during last Black Friday was selling for $2000 at various places. That's the fair non-fleecing price for Canadians. I say wait, and if they never get back to down to that then wait for the C7.

Great to know, always love having a fellow Canadian chime in.. I feel like the consumer worlds revolves around US dollars and although Canada is a great country to live in the consumer ecosystem can still be a pile of ass compared to the US.

My mind is telling me wait for Black Friday, my body is telling me to just jump on a TV right here right now.. This is where will power plays a big role :)

Holy shit.. credit card protection is actually useful for something?
(or are you talking about a debit card?)

Price protection allows you to get a partial refund if you can show the same item was offered at a lower price. Exclusions apply, but they're not too restrictive.

I'm waiting to see if the shady sites will drop the price further, but I'm currently getting the 55" B6 for at least $1235, possibly lower if they drop. Plus Citi adds two years of warranty when you purchase on one of their cards.

finalflame

Holy shit.. credit card protection is actually useful for something?
(or are you talking about a debit card?)

Generally, credit card benefits like price protection/extended warranty are great and work really well as long as you understand the conditions/restrictions that apply. The thing is most people just don't bother to use those services :)

holygeesus

Banned
Finally installed the HDR Game mode update on my B6 tonight and it has made a massive difference for me. Trying to aim before in Homefront was a massive headache, but it is so, so much better now, so it's real-world improvement rather than just stats.

This is now an amazing gaming set IMO.

I used Discover and the process as the same as described above.
So if you have a card with price protection, this is a good use for it.

I've got discover, bank of America, chase, American express....

If I were to buy straight from ebuyusa.com which credit card gives me the best warranty protection from a dud TV?

vpance

Great to know, always love having a fellow Canadian chime in.. I feel like the consumer worlds revolves around US dollars and although Canada is a great country to live in the consumer ecosystem can still be a pile of ass compared to the US.

My mind is telling me wait for Black Friday, my body is telling me to just jump on a TV right here right now.. This is where will power plays a big role :)

Big business just taking advantage of a small market, unfortunately. And yes the weak CAD doesn't help matters.

I'm going to wait for more in depth reviews for the new models before deciding.

finalflame

I've got discover, bank of America, chase, American express....

If I were to buy straight from ebuyusa.com which credit card gives me the best warranty protection from a dud TV?

Don't buy straight from eBuy, they're a well documented scam. Buy from a reputable retailer and just price match as close to the eBuy price as possible. Right now, in-store at Best Buy, you can get the 55" C6 for $1799, and use Discover's Price Protection to get $500 back (maximum price match per purchase is $500).

Call your local Best Buy first to check, but I was just in there on Tuesday and saw the 55" C6 at $1799.

That's the safest route, and what I'd do if I was ready to buy today.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Don't buy straight from eBuy, they're a well documented scam. Buy from a reputable retailer and just price match as close to the eBuy price as possible. Right now, in-store at Best Buy, you can get the 55" C6 for $1799, and use Discover's Price Protection to get $500 back (maximum price match per purchase is $500).

Call your local Best Buy first to check, but I was just in there on Tuesday and saw the 55" C6 at $1799.

That's the safest route, and what I'd do if I was ready to buy today.

Are all Best Buy stores selling the B6 for $1799?

finalflame

Yikes, a curved screen is a non-starter for me.

I used to be of this opinion (you can find my "gross, curved" post earlier in the thread), but the curve on the C6 is extremely slight and barely noticeable. Unless you're planning on wall-mounting, it's perfectly fine.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I used to be of this opinion (you can find my "gross, curved" post earlier in the thread), but the curve on the C6 is extremely slight and barely noticeable. Unless you're planning on wall-mounting, it's perfectly fine.

Same. Despised them.
But this is fine. I've honestly forgotten about it.

I just got my 65C6 installed yesterday and yeah, it is amazing. It really does make everything look better and I could not be happier with my purchase.

I do have a question for C6 owners: I was playing NBA 2K17 and had all the settings correct (HDR, Game mode, etc) and noticed that during the 2nd half, the screen would go to black for a couple of seconds and then come back and then do it again. It would always say HDR on the top right of the TV and was wondering why it would do that and what I should change in any of the settings that might be causing this problem?

I read somewhere that it could be rest mode causing this problem but I'm not sure if that is the root issue.

Geneijin

It's more subtle than the curve of Samsung TVs, e.g. Still not something I care for though.

Same. Despised them.
But this is fine. I've honestly forgotten about it.

Yup. I abhor curved screens, but the C6P is so subtle.

Kambing

I have seen the light, fellow OLED+PC owners.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353346

At native resolution the 55B6 does not function well as a desktop monitor, too much space. As per the above thread, I set a custom resolution of 3840x1700 via Nvidia, just a tad bit above 21:9. This changes the god damn game!

You effectively get a 21:9 screen that is 50 inches. The FOV becomes MASSIVE in games, and consequently very tolerable for use on the desk as a monitor. The lower resolution, paired with a 1080 TI makes the experience so damn smooth. And I am still on a 2500k lol. Some might find it heresy that there are black bars, but bruv, the screen was too big in the first place, and in the dark, with the OLED there ain't no damn bars to see! To top it off, you get that kick ass OLED picture quality and HDR. Got this set for $1500. Compared to the upcoming 32 inch LG HDR monitor that retails for $999, seems like a damn steal. Last thing, unlike a native 21:9 screen, this shit gains inches when I revert back to 16:9.

Pretty hyped because this is the first time I tried 21:9 aspect ratio in games, and so stoked I finally found a way to make this TV work as a monitor. Fallout 4 looked nuts, Witcher 3 looked nuts... need to try BF1 and Doom. God damn!!!

LilJoka

Finally installed the HDR Game mode update on my B6 tonight and it has made a massive difference for me. Trying to aim before in Homefront was a massive headache, but it is so, so much better now, so it's real-world improvement rather than just stats.

This is now an amazing gaming set IMO.

I can feel the difference instantly too.

Madness

49" X900E seems pretty solid at that size and what is offered. I didn't think Sony would really cater to that size this year. Really improved blacks, better brightness, full array local dimming, 120 hz panel and 4K 60hz HDR with around 34 ms input lag. Could easily see it cannibalize 49" X800E sales.

DieH@rd

Banned
49" X900E seems pretty solid at that size and what is offered. I didn't think Sony would really cater to that size this year. Really improved blacks, better brightness, full array local dimming, 120 hz panel and 4K 60hz HDR with around 34 ms input lag. Could easily see it cannibalize 49" X800E sales.

US preorder prices
49X800E is $850 [<what happened with that $1000 pricetag for 43X900E? :D]
49X900E is $1200

With this kind of pricing, 49X800E will have enough space to breathe. Many will not want to pay $350 premium to get FALD.

B6 55" is currently £1699 at John Lewis (UK)

5 year warranty + 1 year Sky Q + free LG sound bar.

It's getting really tempting now. I'm pretty sure my local JL has the E6 for only a couple of hundred more too.

I'm trying to hold off until the sound bar deal ends, as I figure they should knock a little more off just before they disappear and the 2017 sets are all you can find.

Yawnny

What's the aftermarket like for used OLEDs? Do they keep a lot of their value?

I'm a little interested in this too.

I've been meaning to ask what people do with their old TV's. Do they have success in 'trading up'? My local kijiji is full of people who see "used TV" and need it to be $50.. So many people in local classifieds don't give a rat's ass about model numbers and screen tech.

I find myself just making room somewhere else in my house for another TV.

Geneijin

I'm a little interested in this too.

I've been meaning to ask what people do with their old TV's. Do they have success in 'trading up'? My local kijiji is full of people who see "used TV" and need it to be $50.. So many people in local classifieds don't give a rat's ass about model numbers and screen tech.

I find myself just making room somewhere else in my house for another TV.
TVs rarely maintain good resale value especially cheap older TVs unless they're an old Panasonic Plasma with niche value for example. Craigslist doesn't help with all the haggling either. Just look at the TVs being sold and how much sellers are asking for locally. You're better off buying a new TV for what some are asking, and the reasonably priced ones are effectively half priced and older models barely 1-2 years old. I know because I was super fortunate to sell my Sony KDL43W600B for $300 last November to get something back.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I've only seen the C6 for $1799, not the B6. I'd call your local store to check, YMMV.

I verified the B6 is $1799 as well.

I could get. 65" 850D for $1399. Tough to pick size or quality. Hell, the 65" 750D is $1199. It's tough to decide what the premium for OLED is worth.

I saw a 900e and 930e at BB today as well. Both were nice but the viewing angles on the 900e seemed terrible.

Madness

US preorder prices
49X800E is $850 [<what happened with that $1000 pricetag for 43X900E? :D]
49X900E is $1200

With this kind of pricing, 49X800E will have enough space to breathe. Many will not want to pay $350 premium to get FALD.

Maybe, but the size is already increasingly niche. You buy a 49" television for a reason, otherwise why not go upto 55" where you will have your pick of the litter in terms of quality, pricing etc.

The X800E is seemingly a basic copy of the X800D based on what I have seen so far. Still waiting to hear on brightness. But this $350 will give you far superior blacks and FALD, it gives you a 120hz panel whereas X800E is still 60hz, you get the 4K X1 processor which until the new 4K X1 Extreme was the best processor on the market. For someone who NEEDS under 50", they have a ridiculously capable tv choice now from Sony that will give them high end 4K. But again, you are right, depends on how the X800E series actually is this year.

J-Rzez

It is a really nice set. Just saw the 900E and its a nice looking set. The viewing angles are harsh and there is slight blooming/halo, but everything else looks great. Probably replacing my 49" 830C that I use as a monitor with this.

And... Probably replacing my 65EF9500 with a 65" or 77" A1E.

Chumley

Banned
My 1080p movies don't look great on the B6. Still feel like I'm not doing something right with the calibration.

Set sharpness to around 20 and turn off noise reduction or set it to low, also set super resolution to medium or high.

Those are the main things that would affect it and my 1080p movies look amazing.

holygeesus

Banned
My 1080p movies don't look great on the B6. Still feel like I'm not doing something right with the calibration.

1080p to 2160p is not a conversion that should give any decent TV issues. 1080p material looks stunning here so I have no idea what you are doing wrong. Turn off all processing options for starters, and use ISF Dark with contrast at 84, brightness at 51 and work from there.

I really hope the repair guy hasn't left you with a duff set.

Top Bottom