• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I just got my 65C6 installed yesterday and yeah, it is amazing. It really does make everything look better and I could not be happier with my purchase.

I do have a question for C6 owners: I was playing NBA 2K17 and had all the settings correct (HDR, Game mode, etc) and noticed that during the 2nd half, the screen would go to black for a couple of seconds and then come back and then do it again. It would always say HDR on the top right of the TV and was wondering why it would do that and what I should change in any of the settings that might be causing this problem?

I read somewhere that it could be rest mode causing this problem but I'm not sure if that is the root issue.

I am also experiencing some issues between my C6 and PS4 pro. I think this is what they call handshake issues. The issue you described has happened to me when playing Uncharted 4. Other problems I have experienced are the screen going completely black. Happened while watching Iron Fist. I have noticed the picture start to sparkle on dark scenes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Set sharpness to around 20 and turn off noise reduction or set it to low, also set super resolution to medium or high.

Those are the main things that would affect it and my 1080p movies look amazing.

I have sharpness at 0 and super resolution off and it's still as sharp as a tack. (Still talking about Moana)

I wonder if you can capture this softness in a picture, especially since you're testing a CG film.

Chopini

Neo Member
I'm still using PS4 Pro with my 720p 8 years old plasma. Zelda BOTW looks great but PS4 games not so much as it should be. I bought PS4 Pro along with OLED B6 that I returned earlier this year due to pink stripe on white.

I currently have a hard time deciding to get 2016/2017 Oleds or just wait for 2018 model with 2.1 HDMI. 65" B6 dropped a lot in my country to $2400, very tempting.

Yawnny

My 1080p movies don't look great on the B6. Still feel like I'm not doing something right with the calibration.

Reminds me when TV brands would talk about DVD upscale on a 1080P TV and it never looked as good as it was described from others (to my eyes).

I don't have a B6 (not sure if it will be my OLED set or not) but I have a feeling that if it looks off, no amount of moving sharpness settings around is going to make it "click" in to glorious native 1080P on a 1080P tv look. Often there's much more than just "sharpness" that's looking off when I see an upscale do it's thing (ie: colors, sense of depth, etc..)

This is just the sour taste in my mouth left from DVD upscaling.. I really haven't seen ANY 4K TV's upscale so I really shouldn't be talking.. I guess I'm still bitter about it :p

KevinG

Set sharpness to around 20 and turn off noise reduction or set it to low, also set super resolution to medium or high.

Those are the main things that would affect it and my 1080p movies look amazing.

1080p to 2160p is not a conversion that should give any decent TV issues. 1080p material looks stunning here so I have no idea what you are doing wrong. Turn off all processing options for starters, and use ISF Dark with contrast at 84, brightness at 51 and work from there.

I really hope the repair guy hasn't left you with a duff set.

I have sharpness at 0 and super resolution off and it's still as sharp as a tack. (Still talking about Moana)

I wonder if you can capture this softness in a picture, especially since you're testing a CG film.

I've just never calibrated a TV or really bothered with these kinds of things because I've never had a TV worth bothering to do it with.

I'll try some of these recommendations and report back. I've done very little in the way of messing with settings apart from turning off TruMotion immediately.

Edit: Okay.

Looks amazing.
2DpahnA.jpg

UMHn8Hh.jpg

Sky Chief

I've just never calibrated a TV or really bothered with these kinds of things because I've never had a TV worth bothering to do it with.

I'll try some of these recommendations and report back. I've done very little in the way of messing with settings apart from turning off TruMotion immediately.

Edit: Okay.

Looks amazing.

What did you end up doing?

holygeesus

Banned
Reminds me when TV brands would talk about DVD upscale on a 1080P TV and it never looked as good as it was described from others (to my eyes).

I don't have a B6 (not sure if it will be my OLED set or not) but I have a feeling that if it looks off, no amount of moving sharpness settings around is going to make it "click" in to glorious native 1080P on a 1080P tv look. Often there's much more than just "sharpness" that's looking off when I see an upscale do it's thing (ie: colors, sense of depth, etc..)

This is just the sour taste in my mouth left from DVD upscaling.. I really haven't seen ANY 4K TV's upscale so I really shouldn't be talking.. I guess I'm still bitter about it :p

DVD upscaling to 4K is a long way to go. 480p to 2160p? You will get issues. Considering 720/1080p is like 95% of content now and the B6 handles decently encoded material flawlessly I really wouldn't worry. If anything the video compression used is more relevant than resolution.

KevinG

What did you end up doing?

Mainly turning off processing options other than TruMotion (already had that one off because I hate it). I just wasn't sure what they did and several were on medium by default.

I'm sure there's a lot more I can do to further improve the image, but dang that made huge difference. Colors were all there, but now the graininess is gone and the image is clear.

wege12

So I went to local TV shop where I live and they have a handful of brand new LG 55 inch B6 OLEDs on sale for $1,500. I was shocked to see such a great price, and even better than most reputable online sites.

I do have a question regarding discover's price protection policy. If I were to purchase this TV from the local store in town using my discover card, would I then be able to price match ebuyusa.Com's b6 price to get a $300 refund? Or does price protection only apply to online purchases?

Thank you

J-Rzez

According to rtings the new Q7 TVs are worse than the KS8000 series especially in the brightness and HDR sections which represent the biggest selling factors: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7f

Just crazy. Dunno if the Q8 and Q9 will improve over the Q7.

Q8 has the same nits as the Q7 spec wise. The Q9 is 300-500nits brighter than the Q7/8.

I saw the Q7 in person and it looks worse than the KS 8-series. In fact, their MU8500 looks bad too. I don't know if they're in dire need of firmware or what.

Right now the 900E and 930E blow away the Samsung's I've seen. And they wanted $4,000 for the 65 Q7, which I'm sure will come down soon but wow is it bad.

Q8 has the same nits as the Q7 spec wise. The Q9 is 300-500nits brighter than the Q7/8.

I saw the Q7 in person and it looks worse than the KS 8-series. In fact, their MU8500 looks bad too. I don't know if they're in dire need of firmware or what.

Right now the 900E and 930E blow away the Samsung's I've seen. And they wanted $4,000 for the 65 Q7, which I'm sure will come down soon but wow is it bad.

The MU series are the one that replaced the SUHD KS series from last year? Now those aren't good too besides the QLED ones.
Dunno what model is good this year.

So I went to local TV shop where I live and they have a handful of brand new LG 55 inch B6 OLEDs on sale for $1,500. I was shocked to see such a great price, and even better than most reputable online sites.

I do have a question regarding discover's price protection policy. If I were to purchase this TV from the local store in town using my discover card, would I then be able to price match ebuyusa.Com's b6 price to get a $300 refund? Or does price protection only apply to online purchases?

Thank you

Doesn't have to be online. Just be sure to get an invoice.

That is unbelievable tbh, how's that possible for the Q8 to have such rubbish peak brightness for HDR, when last year's 8000/9000 had it so much better, crazy!

So you have to be in the market for a 65" and pay silly money to get last year's performance.

For the premium you are paying for the Q8 over the Q7 must be for better local dimming?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Its looking like I can get a 55" 930D for around $1300. Can anyone tell is the B6 is worth the additional $500? Is it even close or is the B6 that much better.

My only personal opinions come from overly bright BB showrooms. This will be a living room TV with ambient light 90% of the time.

holygeesus

Banned
OLEDs are the best TV for a dark room bar none in my opinion. If you are in a well-lit room 90% of the time it's an even match.

finalflame

Samsung's QLED TVs this year are a fucking disaster. I don't know how they managed to fall so far off the mark after the very competent entry that was the KS8000.

Grimalkin

Well, my 50" Panny Plasma died. :(

Time to go through the agony of picking out a new TV.

I'm only going to use this TV to play PS4 games so the question is how important is wide color gamut HDR?

I keep going back and forth between getting a Vizio P series 50" tv or the Vizio M series 55" tv. The deciding factor between the two is wide color gamut HDR support. The P series has it, the M series does not. I'm also considering the Sony XBR49X800D because the room I game in gets bright during the daytime and rtings says it performs better in bright rooms. Plus it's $800 and has wide color gamut HDR.

Why is it so hard to pick out a tv?!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Go back a page or two and read about credit card price protection. The premium is much less than $500.

I am actually signing up for a new MC that has price protection, but in making the purchase I do not want to rely on it. Maybe I am being overly cautious but that's where I am.

Madness

Samsung's QLED TVs this year are a fucking disaster. I don't know how they managed to fall so far off the mark after the very competent entry that was the KS8000.

I wouldn't say disaster. They just screwed up nit brightness somehow. Otherwise their color accuracy surpassed even OLED's. I wonder what went wrong. They cannot even say they are UHD Premium certified anymore if they cannot hit more than 600 nits or less.

Oozer3993

For those looking to price protect the 55" B6, eBuy USA now has it at $1139.

The C6 is at $1129 as well.

Is this company reputable?

No. They'll try to upsell you a bunch of stuff and add hidden fees. It's best to buy from someone else and then use your credit card's price protection against ebuyusa to get some money back. Or so Slick Deals and AVS Forum say. I'm about to try it for my C6.

Yawnny

Hmm.. The Sony XBR49X900E 49" is looking tempting to me here in Canada. It's actually available via Prime on Amazon.ca and 49" would actually be the sweet spot in my relatively small viewing area.

I would be sitting dead center at 5.5 feet away, and would mostly be just me in the man cave so I wouldn't have to worry about people thinking the TV looks washed out and like ass.

It comes out in May 17 here in Canada (not sure if it's out elsewhere).. I don't see the 49inch version on Best Buy's website as of yet.

I guess I'll see what OLED prices are like in May. If I buy the X900E at least I would have money left over for a 4K Receiver.. but I don't want to kick myself in the ass for not buying an LG OLED... Oh god, the decisions...

EDIT: And Rtings said the input lag is minor for the X900E (around 32ms) and overall handles motion great.

Wiped89

Woops! I just bought an LG OLED C655V. Got it for £1,800 with a free LG 4.1 sound bar.

I hope it's better than my current Samsung UE55HU8000, which is absolutely great but the black levels are terrible and it has tons of lag. And no HDR as it's 2014.

The only thing that worries me is that the LG might have poor brightness, which is something people have mentioned. Should I be worried about that? I like my picture bright and my Samsung is very bright.

I wouldn't say disaster. They just screwed up nit brightness somehow. Otherwise their color accuracy surpassed even OLED's. I wonder what went wrong. They cannot even say they are UHD Premium certified anymore if they cannot hit more than 600 nits or less.

Not just peak nits, but their new quantum dot implementation causes artefacts which are visible if you are sat 6ft or under from the screen.

Madness

Hmm.. The Sony XBR49X900E 49" is looking tempting to me here in Canada. It's actually available via Prime on Amazon.ca and 49" would actually be the sweet spot in my relatively small viewing area.

I would be sitting dead center at 5.5 feet away, and would mostly be just me in the man cave so I wouldn't have to worry about people thinking the TV looks washed out and like ass.

It comes out in May 17 here in Canada (not sure if it's out elsewhere).. I don't see the 49inch version on Best Buy's website as of yet.

I guess I'll see what OLED prices are like in May. If I buy the X900E at least I would have money left over for a 4K Receiver.. but I don't want to kick myself in the ass for not buying an LG OLED... Oh god, the decisions...

EDIT: And Rtings said the input lag is minor for the X900E (around 32ms) and overall handles motion great.

Yeah for 49" it seems like a killer tv. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the one to beat at that size this year. Waiting to see what the X800D for 49" has in terms of brightness.

wege12

So close to pulling the trigger on my local av shop's deal of $1,500 for a 55 inch B6 OLED. Only thing keeping me from doing so is all the reports of how bad it handles motion. Is it as bad as they claim?

vpance

According to rtings the new Q7 TVs are worse than the KS8000 series especially in the brightness and HDR sections which represent the biggest selling factors: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7f

Just crazy. Dunno if the Q8 and Q9 will improve over the Q7.

Yeah it is kinda crazy. I guess X900E will be the new best value pick of the new models over the next year or so.

I like this real scene HDR test on Rtings with the comparo pics. They should make a couple more scenes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Oh man, didn't know it was this bad. Weren't they claiming 2000 nits for those?

Theonik

To be fair Samsung's brightness measurements last year were a load of BS considering the amount of time their sets could actually hit them.

Yawnny

Should current B6's include the firmware that helps reduce input lag or should I still expect to install it after purchase?

So close to pulling the trigger on my local av shop's deal of $1,500 for a 55 inch B6 OLED. Only thing keeping me from doing so is all the reports of how bad it handles motion. Is it as bad as they claim?

Motion is one of those highly subjective things but I have no issues with it. Couldn't stand it on the KS8000 however.

Yawnny

Install it after purchase.

My unit was built in November, and did not have the latest firmware.

Okay great to know.

I know it's been asked a thousand times already but to confirm: did the firmware patch seem to help things for you or are there still motion/lag issues?

I realize that motion and lag are two different things. I'm deciding between the Sony X900E that's about to become available to me and an OLED and I'm curious about which will be best for gaming.

OLED will provide the best picture quality but I'm still on the fence about input lag and motion seeing as the primary use of this TV will be gaming. Throughout this thread I've seen some vague "LG's had some motion issues" type of posts but haven't investigated as much regarding those statements.

Top Bottom