• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me about your favourite game ever.

Guilty_AI

4dcd03242a31f18dc1ad7cb14be59e9f.jpg

i, uh, really like the art and the plot

There are many for me. But I will start with the first games to the last.

1. RE2 back in the PS era
2. FF9 back in the PS era
3. FF10 on PS2
3. Killzone 2 PS3
4. MAG PS3
5. Dragon Age Origins PS3
6. The last of us PS3
7. The Witcher 2 PC
8. Guild Wars 2 PC
9. Fallout 3 PC
10. The Witcher 3 PS4, PC

A lot of games. I also want to add Battlefield bad company 2 and Battlefield 3 (So many hours spent on these two games)

My favorite game is Bioshock. Seeing the most fully-realized world (graphically, for the time) bring competing philosophies together and exploring what would happen if they clashed in a world unlike any other I'd seen before...The tension, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the story...

It was my first game on the Xbox 360, so it was ALSO my first time playing in HD--double whammy. I had a second-hand computer monitor, and I bought a cable that would let me hook up my 360 via VGA because I couldn't afford an HDTV of my own at college. But I got my 360 and Bioshock while at home visiting my parents, who had a 40" Samsung 1080p TV. I remember coming home with my brand-new 360 and "trying out" my computer monitor setup on the floor in front of my parents' very-available-for-use HDTV around 10pm.

I was so enthralled that I sat on the floor and played on that 13" screen until something like 8am, beating the game in one sitting. I haven't been that compelled by a game before or since.

I consider that experience my turning point from being an enjoyer of video games to becoming a die-hard nerd who ends up talking about video games on a video game forum.

sono

Hard to pick one.
I have had many memorable gaming experiences over the years. Ones that stick with me
Mario
Starfox
Doom
Unreal
Unreal tournament
Quake 2 single and multiplayer
Tomb Raider Underworld
Resistance Fall of Man
Killzone 2 and 3
Nier 1
Darksiders
Destiny 1
Horizon Zero Dawn

All these games I adore them in different ways

Davesky

Final Fantasy VII. I had never played a story game in my life up until that point, coming from a Sega Mega Drive and my only experience of my PS1 up until that point being mainly fighting and platforming games. RPGs weren't really known in my country either, not from the youth at that time anyway. I still remember my first time playing it, I regretted my purchase immediately and was thrown to the back of my wardrobe for months but something made me go back again and give it another try. It quickly ended up being the best gaming experience of my life.

I don't think it's something that will ever ever be replicated for me either, it was one of those once in a lifetime moments having to learn all these new types of game mechanics and also part of the charm being a child in the midst of the school environment, a multitude of games to pick and choose from and also having to share any gaming time with sibling so any gaming progress I could make was very slow but completely taken in and cherished.

For me I wasn't just playing as Cloud Strife, but inside my head the events and world became part of my own childhood experience. This was only made possible at the time due to the limited graphical hardware that was able to create the ambiguity needed to allow this type of imaginative experience, something that for modern gaming has sadly lost. Seeing it all come to life in the Remake trilogy so far however has been a pretty magical fucking experience.

SHA

PC 90s Duke Nukem 3D, it was fun and the time was perfect for a shooter game who keeps running his mouth,

Ps1 I'd say Resident Evil but it's Silent Hill, the game is literally what we wanted,

PS2 Silent Hill 2, the game is timeless,

360 Assassin's Creed, I like how the story started in the middle east,

PS3 Killzone, a shooter with heavy guns, the shooter we wanted,

PC 10s Bioshock Infinite, it was Perfect,

PS4 The Wolf Among Us, The first Telltale game for me, it changed my perspective on story games, now I understand where real stories come from,

Xbox One The Witcher 3,

Wii U Super Mario 3D World,

Xbox Series X I liked many games but it's still not the right time to pick one.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, each part of that game was hand crafted and the act of exploration itself was so good, the lite rpg elements, the addictive collectathon, it did all these things so well - it spawned a fucking genre. Other games had elements before, but SotN is where is all came together. And then, when you think it's all over, mother fuckers inverted the map and gave you a second half to the game.

I know the inverted castle is known now but I remember being a young and dumb asshole, and it blew my mind. I went back to that game often, stoned out of my mind, for late night zen sessions of getting every item to drop and maxing out all the familiars.

You get Yoshitaka Amano art. You get an amazing soundtrack. You get fluid action and platforming. You get a suspiciously deep voice on Alucard whose character portrait doesn't look like it should have that voice. You get everything. It is considered by some to be the quintessential Castlevania game, in a series with damn fine and iconic games, for a reason.

I have played it over and over again throughout the years and it never ceases to be amazing.

Edit: The box art was by Ayami Kojima. My dipshit ass thought it was Amano all these years. Shout to NeoIkaruGAF for the heads up.

Last edited:
NCAA Football! 2004-2006! (Such a subtle departure from Madden)

Everything else:
FFVII
Resident Evil
Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect 2
Full house poker
1V100
SSFII
MK2
Ridge Racer!
Bomberman
Goldeneye
Wii Sports
Guitar hero
Ms Pac-Man
BoTW
Mario 64
Mario kart 8D
Tiger woods golf
L4D
Super Mario rpg
Halo 1-4
Uncharted 1-3
Twisted metal

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have many but there is one game I cant never stop thinking about even after these years.
5fdaedba5ed907106b9e5fc39f3a826872bd345c.jpg

The art is absolutely gorgeous and is not just how great the story is, its how they told it.

On paper the story could have easily turn out one convoluted mess but they somehow made it work and absolutely captivating, to this day I cant stop thinking about it.

Last edited:
ADW4Sjl-A2DF76PXYU9Koc4EPTqgAhsvZ1urqReoTe-AuZiKVy0_fFKOTgATqGU7lC1NniSAo0Qdg3qA14_e0PL7VITKzH218vHRw-3R5HlqGccnj03y1im9ubIq9oLKVr6f13pq

this shit changed my life forever. all the instruction booklet art for this game ripped my little 4 year old brain in half. i remember gazing upon the map it came with, unfolding it, wonder in my eyes. seemed so massive; so mysterious back then.
I really do wonder if i would be into video games today if i hadn't played this 30 years ago.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Baldur%27s_Gate_3_cover_art.jpg

Checks all the boxes for me.
Betraying Trails and the Xeno games? Bruh.

It's still FF IX after I played it again last year.

But Chrono Cross is DANGEROUSLY close, that opening in Chrono Cross when you storm Lynx's Castle with Kidd and a random party member who call out to you "Serge, come on!" While Brink of Death plays. Instantly sucks you in.

stn

One would think its Deus-Ex (top 5 of all time) based on my avatar, but its actually Morrowind. I've spent hundreds of hours on that game and I bet I could uncover new stuff even today. I would kill for a remake with refined combat.

I don't know if I can say I have a favourite game but I think the most fun I've had in a game was playing Battlefield 2.
legendary demo
played it so many times with friends
teamkilled so many people on the carrier while waiting for vehicles
also first time i went from a ~22" CRT to 43" plasma (felt like i was actually flying in the jet)

map loading music is seared into my brain

Last edited:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, each part of that game was hand crafted and the act of exploration itself was so good, the lite rpg elements, the addictive collectathon, it did all these things so well - it spawned a fucking genre. Other games had elements before, but SotN is where is all came together. And then, when you think it's all over, mother fuckers inverted the map and gave you a second half to the game.

I know the inverted castle is known now but I remember being a young and dumb asshole, and it blew my mind. I went back to that game often, stoned out of my mind, for late night zen sessions of getting every item to drop and maxing out all the familiars.

You get Yoshitaka Amano art. You get an amazing soundtrack. You get fluid action and platforming. You get a suspiciously deep voice on Alucard whose character portrait doesn't look like it should have that voice. You get everything. It is considered by some to be the quintessential Castlevania game, in a series with damn fine and iconic games, for a reason.

I have played it over and over again throughout the years and it never ceases to be amazing.
also one of the best games i have ever played. my uncle bought it for us (his nephews). he didn't know what he got us, lol. I'll never forget him watching us play it, we got to the first "bloody zombie" and cut him down, body split in half, blood horrifically pressurized spewing from its torso. "MOM!" he yelled, disappointed in us for playing such a game. trying to get us in trouble with our grandmother. then my cousin retorted, "you bought this for us, dude..." "NEVER MIND!" lmfao, almost threw himself under the bus.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Too difficult to pick just one, but I'll go with Zelda ALTTP. Big nostalgia with that one, plus it's a very good game on it's own too.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Betraying Trails and the Xeno games? Bruh.

It's still FF IX after I played it again last year.

But Chrono Cross is DANGEROUSLY close, that opening in Chrono Cross when you storm Lynx's Castle with Kidd and a random party member who call out to you "Serge, come on!" While Brink of Death plays. Instantly sucks you in.

XB2 is #2

lmimmfn

I don't know if I can say I have a favourite game but I think the most fun I've had in a game was playing Battlefield 2.
This, the only game I sank nearly 2000 hours in, setting up clans, organising matches against other clans, truly amazing, I was so excited for the future of the franchise then it turned to shit, dumbing everything down so it became a CoD meat grinder clone rather than an organised clan team play strategic game.

I'm so happy I got to experience it though, what a time to be gaming on PC!

NT80

Would it be favourite at the time of playing it or something that still holds up today as among your all time favourites?

MiguelItUp

If I had to choose one, it would probably be DOOM.

But in reality, there's so many. It's really hard to choose just one. But these left an impact in some way(s).

DOOM 2
Aliens Vs Predator (2000)
Aliens Vs Predator 2
Aliens Vs Predator (Arcade)
Alien Isolation
Super Metroid
Twisted Metal
Twisted Metal Black
Half-Life
Quake
Quake 2
Super Mario 64
Splatterhouse
Splatterhouse 3
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Silent Hill 2
Bioshock
Dead Space
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil
Binding of Isaac / Rebirth
Hotline Miami
Battlefield 1942
Star Wars: Dark Forces II Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast

il_794xN.2420853905_jof8.jpg

Resident Evil 1996 North American version. OG OST, no auto-aim, no nerfed hunters or final tyrant, 2 ink ribbons instead of 3.

This game does not get the credit it deserves because REmake is the go to for RE1, and the OG NA version is only available via emulation or on disc. For years the only PSN version was Dual Shock Director's Cut with the awful OST and baked-in auto-aim, etc. Euro bros got the OG Director's Cut on PSN and that at least has the OG OST but auto-aim is baked-in and certain enemies are nerfed. PS4/PS5 finally have OG Director's Cut release, and GOG has the PC version but outside of the uncensored intro, the OG NA version is still the definitive way to experience the game. Also, the PC version is ugly as balls.

The OG NA game is brilliant and is absolutely timeless, it is legitimately a perfect game. Most people don't realize the attention to detail when it comes to leaving clues for the player. As long as you examine rooms and items, the game will help guide you. Most people know the puzzles and route by heart so they just speed run and dodge zombies. That's fine and all but it's not a good way to present the game, it loses it's charm and turns the game into a door opening simulator that relies on directionless voice acting for entertainment. If I'm being honest, it's disrespectful and shows poor taste.

If you actually engage with the enemies, you cannot truly dominate the OG NA version. The Hunters will wreck your run, the chimera are annoying as hell, and the final Tyrant fight is a nail biter every time. Manual aiming is satisfying as hell and incredibly accurate and fair. The inventory management is spot on. The OST and set pieces are God-tier. Good replay value; roughly 3 different scenarios for Chris and Jill. The Jill Sandwich line is fantastic but how many people know that you'll get a completely different scenario with Barry if you ignore Barry's advice in the main hall and end up meeting him on the 2nd floor balcony where Forest was killed? "Oh My Cod!" The Broken Shogun Route, my personal favorite route and the canon scenario for Jill.

With Chris and Rebecca, you can avoid her outright in the beginning of the game and end up meeting her when you encounter Richard. In that scenario Rebecca comes off as far more capable and suited for the situation, rather than completely helpless.

The game is so effing good and it is a damn shame that the gaming world has largely forgotten the ORIGINAL RESIDENT EVIL, the game that caused an absolute sensation amongst gamers in 1996. Everyone was talking about it, beating the game was a rite of passage and schoolmates would quiz you if they overheard you telling someone that you beat the game. More people need to experience how brutal the first game is and feel the rush and sense of accomplishment when you get the timing down to stun-lock Hunters, or when you're down to your last red/green herb and Tyrant has taken 6 direct magnum shots and Brad still hasn't dropped the fucking rocket launcher, lol. And no, the HD remastered version is not the best version. We're not trying to skip the door opening sequences, we're not trying to do a quick turn. Fuck that. The point is that the OG 1996 version is the game that gave us RE and also inspired RE7. When Capcom went back to the drawing board, they went back to the OG game. I realize too that manual aiming was added due to rentals, and Capcom themselves said play-testers found it too difficult, but that's also why the game was such a cultural event when it released. It's an amazing experience, this game does not fuck around. Director's Cut will never give you that experience because auto-aim and nerfed enemies break the game. Go play the OG NA version if you never have. Stick with it and have an absolute gaming experience of a lifetime.

OG North American Resident Evil 1996 is my GOAT and always will be.

Markio128

Gold Member
Mario 64. It was pure magic when I played it for the first time. I remember spending ages in the castle garden just running around, back-flipping, and climbing trees. I hadn’t experienced such control over a character, so it was a real watershed moment in gaming for me.

By time invested it`s probably one of those even though I can`t name a specific winner:

Diablo
Diablo 2
Counterstrike Up to Beta 0.7
Quake 3 Arena
League of Legends
Star Craft

Mass Effect. It makes me feel like I'm experiencing a world that I always wanted to live in.
Mass Effect 1 is so effing good. :messenger_loudly_crying:

For me it's the sense of mystery and comradery/story delivery. What a freaking game. Every time I play it's just as good as the last.

This track in particular hits me so hard and perfectly captures what I feel inside when I think about the game and when I play it.

Mario 64. It was pure magic when I played it for the first time. I remember spending ages in the castle garden just running around, back-flipping, and climbing trees. I hadn’t experienced such control over a character, so it was a real watershed moment in gaming for me.
I can still remember the sense of awe when I first took control of Mario. Legit mind blowing experience. Truly felt like something from the future, it was amazing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's Chrono Trigger..

What can I say? I'll save you a lot of reading by just saying it's perfect in every way. It's the ultimate JRPG experience..

Top Bottom