• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

V_Arnold

The game really sounds promising, but as someone who did not find a more compelling battle system than WoW's, where really the fights are so addictive that you wont even feel bad after you play the 10th alt of yours (differently), is the game around that level? I know, it ain Blizzard, but still..

So, is latency a problem? It kinda was for me in Aion, it was not responsive enough, and sometimes weird things happened. Also, is the engine flexible enough? Do you feel fluid like in WoW, or do you feel restricted (in terms of movements, time and margin of error when attacking targets and/or casting)?

Oh, and this might be the first game since WoW to not have an inferior art style. Engine and tech is one thing, art is another. And this feels like a good contester for a very coherent art style on top of the technical formalities.

V_Arnold said:
The game really sounds promising, but as someone who did not find a more compelling battle system than WoW's, where really the fights are so addictive that you wont even feel bad after you play the 10th alt of yours (differently), is the game around that level? I know, it ain Blizzard, but still..

So, is latency a problem? It kinda was for me in Aion, it was not responsive enough, and sometimes weird things happened. Also, is the engine flexible enough? Do you feel fluid like in WoW, or do you feel restricted (in terms of movements, time and margin of error when attacking targets and/or casting)?

Oh, and this might be the first game since WoW to not have an inferior art style. Engine and tech is one thing, art is another. And this feels like a good contester for a very coherent art style on top of the technical formalities.

I addressed every question you had yesterday. I read your post just now and jumped backwards in time a day to make this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26964853&postcount=7905

Gopsje

Argh! Can't help myself with these types of games. Always need to try them out and see if it sticks.

Graphics are great (style is well different), combat looks cool and nifty. Saw it last year at GC and after laughing a lot looking at a panda fight I totally missed the awesomeness of it.

So where/how do I sign up (weird way of asking a pm)?

Coverly

jeremy70583 said:
However, after i do step 2, a spec checker comes up, and there is nowhere to download the actual client.

When you get to that point there should be 2 things going on in your system:

1. The spec check page like you point it out, since it's where it takes you next. It's just an informational page, nothing more.

2. There should have been a second window launched that will for a few minutes or so appear to be just like a black screen. This is the downloader program. If you turned it off by mistake just redo the steps until you get that black screen window again. After a few minutes graphics will appear and will ask you if you would like to download the game. You can change the folder at this time before installing the download. Once that's done just find the tera_invoker program and run that.

If you want to bypass all this you can try downloading the game from a torrent. It's mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread and in the last page or so too.

Coverly said:
When you get to that point there should be 2 things going on in your system:

1. The spec check page like you point it out, since it's where it takes you next. It's just an informational page, nothing more.

2. There should have been a second window launched that will for a few minutes or so appear to be just like a black screen. This is the downloader program. If you turned it off by mistake just redo the steps until you get that black screen window again. After a few minutes graphics will appear and will ask you if you would like to download the game. You can change the folder at this time before installing the download. Once that's done just find the tera_invoker program and run that.

If you want to bypass all this you can try downloading the game from a torrent. It's mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread and in the last page or so too.
worked, thanks. Now the grueling download wait =)

Zaptruder

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I addressed every question you had yesterday. I read your post just now and jumped backwards in time a day to make this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26964853&postcount=7905

Yeah. Definetly wanna give this game a go. But not going to deal with the rigmarole of running the korean version; will wait until I can get it retail.

Looking forward to it big time... after seeing trailers for stuff like Blade and Soul (very little in the way of updates on that one), this one looks like it'll fill that need quite well.

Hobs

Neo Member
bWqH9l.jpg
V0Iyyl.jpg

PfQyh.jpg

AhfkNl.jpg
ZDnDDl.jpg

COMdW.jpg

LowParry

Having a good time with this MMO. Took a while to get used to the control scheme. I really like having no target tab and having to use your crosshair. For ranged that seems fantastic. Melee I'm not really sure on. Someone would have to talk up on that.

Right now I'm playing the Mystic class. Seems pretty straight forward. Probably have more up time than down considering I can heal myself through summoned orbs and a self buff that regens my mana. Attacks are simple. One ranged while the other two are more for melee. One "crushing blow" attack and the other as an area effect. The two skills chain into each other. There's another ability that I'm not sure what does. I'm assuming it's a group ability but unknown. And at times it doesn't do anything but drain my mana so unknown.

The zones look gorgeous. The experience feels like Aion with a different combat system. I wish I knew how PvP is but no one seems to know how to get that done but nothing to fret over. Can't wait to get into the higher levels. As mentioned before, the difficulty ramps up so I'm excited for that. Here's a few screenshots of my character. She's bitchin.

jfbzfo.jpg

r7k840.jpg

90o8ht.jpg

ZiZ

so, how playable is this game with a controller? will I be able to chain my attacks and do magic?

Izayoi

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Anyone have a link to the change account name/password page? I do not see the first link that was posted in that pic.
Go to hangame.com and then scroll all the way down. If you've logged in already you won't see that page on the third image.

Mister Wilhelm said:
That's a badass giant crab.

Also, what is he doing inside?
Beating the shit out of us. ;_;

CcrooK said:
Having a good time with this MMO. Took a while to get used to the control scheme. I really like having no target tab and having to use your crosshair. For ranged that seems fantastic. Melee I'm not really sure on. Someone would have to talk up on that.
It's fucking amazing and I can't believe how much fun I'm having with the game.

Seriously it's just incredible. Once you get a good combo chain going, just hitting stuff is incredibly satisfying (especially with the Berserker, who is super slow and hits really, really hard). You'll find that at the beginning you whiff a lot of attacks, but as time goes on and you get more accustomed to the speed, you'll be chaining super moves together like a pro.

It's just really satisfying, and so much fun.

Some screens.

tera_screenshot_201104cmdo.png

tera_screenshot_201104h8jd.png

tera_screenshot_201104ommp.png

tera_screenshot_201104dmuh.png

tera_screenshot_201104fksk.png

tera_screenshot_2011043k25.png

tera_screenshot_201104pkp2.png

tera_screenshot_2011048877.png

tera_screenshot_201104zj8l.png

Arveene said:
I recorded the 3 bosses we killed last night in the level 27 instance. We couldn't kill the last boss though. =(

Boss 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxJuraeQerU
Boss 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR676ASQzTQ
Boss 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWzu8iD1CNE
By the way, the audio is not work safe. Some pretty heavy swearing, so be warned.

LowParry

I'll probably create a melee class next and get it up to lvl 10. From there I'll choose from my Mystic or whatever to continue on. This game really is a lot of fun. Wish we could get more GAFers on board to play.

Izayoi

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Nice vids! I hope there are enough people my level when I finally get there.
There will be. Even if there aren't, you can always bring in a higher level person to help. Speaking of which, some screenshots from the first instance.

tera_screenshot_201104h7o2.png

tera_screenshot_201104a7f6.png

tera_screenshot_201104u7vs.png

tera_screenshot_201104v7h0.png

tera_screenshot_201104i7x3.png

tera_screenshot_201104v7cb.png

tera_screenshot_20110407cy.png

tera_screenshot_201104u70m.png

And a few from the second instance.

tera_screenshot_20110447z9.png

tera_screenshot_201104z7h1.png

tera_screenshot_201104b78g.png

Xamdou

Game looks amazing? Got two questions:

When is the game coming out?

Is there a public beta?

Will my MSI laptop with Intel I5 430M processor with mobile radeon 5870 w/ 1GB DDR5, 4GB of DDr3 ram, Windows 7 Premium will be able to run this at max settings?

Izayoi

Banned
Xamdou said:
When is the game coming out?
TBA 2011 in North America and Europe.

Xamdou said:
Is there a public beta?
There will be in a few months, most likely.

Xamdou said:
Will my MSI laptop with Intel I5 430M processor with mobile radeon 5870 w/ 1GB DDR5, 4GB of DDr3 ram, Windows 7 Premium will be able to run this at max settings?
Almost certainly. I won't make any promises because I'm unfamiliar with laptops but some quick googling and comparison of framerates says yes.

Tera.png

I'm loving everything about the game so far.

Like that all UI Elements are movable as you can see by my rearranged UI in the pic above.

My only complaint is the music in the game or rather what seems to be a lack thereof.

The sound of attacks, and enemies are great, but I found that I had to turn off what little music they had and instead turn on my piano/violin channel on Pandora.

Maybe I'm picky about my music ;p

Still TERA is the best MMO I have played.

It feels like the evolution of Phantasy Star Online.

Gameplay excellent
Graphics are the best I have seen.
More quests than I know what to do with.
I've played 3 of the classes and have loved all of them.

Cannot wait till US release sometime this year!

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So how hard is it to stay facing enemies in combat? I assume there is no way to "lock on" since that would defeat the purpose right?

My wife sucks at camera management while moving, so she may have a hard time.

Coverly

ZiZ said:
so, how playable is this game with a controller? will I be able to chain my attacks and do magic?

Yeah, for the most part. The game maps the right and left mouse button to the right trigger and the button X. The B button is the C key. So you get 3 attacks you can customize.

Y button you can start a conversation with npcs and pick up money and dropped items from mobs.

A is for jumping and confirming a choice in mouse mode.

It looks like the left and right bumper buttons along with the left and right directional buttons are unused. I tried using xpadder to assign the keys 1-4 but it looks like gameguard is blocking the program. shame.

I'll be borrowing a friend's chatpad and use the 1-9 numbers to easily access those slots. I'll let you guys know if it works well or not.

Coverly

Mr Pockets said:
So how hard is it to stay facing enemies in combat? I assume there is no way to "lock on" since that would defeat the purpose right?

It's not that hard at all. So far the enemies are extremely slow and always run strait at you. I haven't met one that zig zags or goes sideways first.

Arveene

Neo Member
GhostRidah said:
I think I am on the wrong server lol, Yin has not been on, I will try again later tonight.

I'll be on either Arveene or my alt Innovindil, I can toss you an invite if you need one. Yin hasn't been on yet today.

So after looking at Tera fans online I found how to enter korean characters and do EMOTES! :D

To allow korean characters to be input you do the following in Windows 7

1. Start-> Control Panel-> Language and Region
2. Under Regional and Language Options click change keyboard or other input methods
3. Change Keyboards…-> Add-> Korean (Korea)-> Keyboard-> Microsoft (IME) -> OK

To switch between your English keys and your Korean you press: Right Alt+Right Shift

Here are the list of emotes I tested with the keys you must hit on your keyboard

Note: the last letter is in quotes b/c on my keyboard I had to hit the last letter of the phrase twice to get the final korean character to appear.

인사 = dlstk (k) = greeting
기쁨 = rl(shift+q)ma (a) = joy
슬픔 = tmfvma (a) = sorrow
승리 = tmdfl (l) = victory
춤 = cna (a) = dance
도발 = ehqkf (f) = provocative
박수 = qkrtn (n) = applause
간청 = rkscjd (d) = beg
고민 = rhals (s) = worry
돌격 = ehfrur (r) = charge
저기 = wjrl (l) = point
분노 = qnssh (h) = anger

Have fun, and such and screenshot of my /dance
Dancing.png

ZiZ

Coverly said:
Yeah, for the most part. The game maps the right and left mouse button to the right trigger and the button X. The B button is the C key. So you get 3 attacks you can customize.

Y button you can start a conversation with npcs and pick up money and dropped items from mobs.

A is for jumping and confirming a choice in mouse mode.

It looks like the left and right bumper buttons along with the left and right directional buttons are unused. I tried using xpadder to assign the keys 1-4 but it looks like gameguard is blocking the program. shame.

I'll be borrowing a friend's chatpad and use the 1-9 numbers to easily access those slots. I'll let you guys know if it works well or not.

so, we can't customize the controller layout?

my keyboard doesn't have a numpad so I was hoping that I wouldn't need it if the controller worked well.

Izayoi

Banned
Mr Pockets said:

The only time you're going to run into enemies who move in weird ways is when fighting Elites or Bosses.

Most normal enemies are straightforward enough, though there are some that some very... interesting things.

In any case, you wife shouldn't have too large of a problem. There's a targeting reticule (as you can see in my shots) that helps you align attacks, and you move your viewpoint like you would in your typical third-person shooter, just my moving your mouse around.

ZiZ said:

my keyboard doesn't have a numpad so I was hoping that I wouldn't need it if the controller worked well.
You can customize the layout, apparently. Controller people are using button combos to execute moves. I couldn't tell you how, though.

Coverly

ZiZ said:

actually you can. I just learned that from a fellow guild member. Basically the controller is almost fully customizable. I was able to map the empty buttons to the keys that I wanted, and it's worked great so far.

Edit: In the game, Press 'o' then in the window that appears go to the last tab. In there you can map anything to the controller buttons.

Okay, I'm stuck. This guy looks like a mini-boss. So I go kill him. The quest doesn't update or do anything. I'm lost as to what to do, am I supposed to kill him or do something else to him entirely?

thehell.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think what always impressed me the most about korean MMOs is how fucking amazing they look. I really wish Japanese teams would look at these shots and try to attain something similar (but I don't know how massive the budget or teams are for either region). Because here I am, watching my girlfriend play some GUST games on PS3, wishing they looked half as good.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Okay, I'm stuck. This guy looks like a mini-boss. So I go kill him. The quest doesn't update or do anything. I'm lost as to what to do, am I supposed to kill him or do something else to him entirely?

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/thehell.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
There are lots of named mobs not attached to quests. Just drop rare items or crafting runes on occasion.

Arveene and I have started memorize the Hangul for the blue text in quests and just matching that to the mobs in the area it marks on the map for us.

Seems to work well enough.

Protip: Force v-sync OFF in your GPU control panel. Also, when the game is open, open Task Manager, check "Show proccesses for all users" and then right click TERA. Make sure that affinity is set to all cores and that priority is set to Above Normal (you can try High, but it seems to cause problems for vent and audio in general, but Above Normal seems to work just fine). My framerate shot through the roof, and now I'm able to play with 8xMSAA at 60FPS with no drops so far.

Lyphen said:
I think what always impressed me the most about korean MMOs is how fucking amazing they look. I really wish Japanese teams would look at these shots and try to attain something similar (but I don't know how massive the budget or teams are for either region). Because here I am, watching my girlfriend play some GUST games on PS3, wishing they looked half as good.

http://www.bluehole.net/eng/

Bluehole Studio was the original Lineage team at NCSoft. They all left NCSoft en masse after the Lineage III source code theft scandal. I wouldn't say it's fair to compare Bluehole, a company which sprang instantly into existence from one of the largest departments at NCSoft with over 200 employees, to a tiny Japanese JRPG studio like Gust.

The most amazing thing about Tera is that the entire game appears to be hand-modeled. Not one single area shows evidence of copy-pasta, every zone looks like somebody sat there and modeled the entire environment by drawing each tiny bit individually, nothing is repeated. Most MMOGs have some degree of copy-pasta in the environments, some are blatantly copy-pasta'ed literally over the entire zone (FFXIV is a serious offender here). Tera doesn't appear to have any from what I've seen.

Here's my money shot of the moment:
tera6.jpg

Izayoi said:
There are lots of named mobs not attached to quests. Just drop rare items or crafting runes on occasion.

Arveene and I have started memorize the Hangul for the blue text in quests and just matching that to the mobs in the area it marks on the map for us.

Seems to work well enough.

Protip: Force v-sync OFF in your GPU control panel. Also, when the game is open, open Task Manager, check "Show proccesses for all users" and then right click TERA. Make sure that affinity is set to all cores and that priority is set to Above Normal (you can try High, but it seems to cause problems for vent and audio in general, but Above Normal seems to work just fine). My framerate shot through the roof, and now I'm able to play with 8xMSAA at 60FPS with no drops so far.
Are you enabling AA through your vid card program? I dont see AA in the game options, if its through vid card you are lucky, UE3 engine games always fail to enable AA for ati cards =/

Unknown Soldier said:

thehell.jpg

You need to take the creature down below 30% then shoot the creature with the tranq dart in your inventory.

Also make sure you have the right creature; the quest creature is larger than the other unicorns.

LowParry

Oh shit (Unkown) Kawaii. I need to catch up in level so that I can come group. lol - I rerolled a new character. Old character named Reirei. Going by Trouble now. Playing a slayer which is really really fun. :D

LowParry

Mister Wilhelm said:
This game looks every bit as amazing as I thought it would be.

Not only that but the combat is extremely fun. People say it's similar to Monster Hunter but I've never played any of those games.

Dante23

Gunmonkey36 said:
i7-950 at 3.0ghz
Nvidia gtx 260 (heavily overclocked; core at 720; ram at 1350)
8gb ram

Running at 1920x1080

Thank you but damn, that is nuts, that's quite a machine you have there! congrats.

I hope I'll be able to play someday soon :)

Top Bottom