• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

Gunmonkey36 said:
You need to take the creature down below 30% then shoot the creature with the tranq dart in your inventory.

Also make sure you have the right creature; the quest creature is larger than the other unicorns.

well in the area you find the creatures its gonna be a lvl higher than the other ones, plus epic music kicks in when u fight it :)

Izayoi

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Are you enabling AA through your vid card program? I dont see AA in the game options, if its through vid card you are lucky, UE3 engine games always fail to enable AA for ati cards =/
I'm forcing it through the Catalyst control panel and it works fine on my 4890.

8xMSAA w/ Adaptive AA:

tera_screenshot_201104zrz3.png

CcrooK said:
I don't think there is an option. Not that I recall.
That's correct. No height slider.

DeadRockstar said:
Can anyone link me to a fast download for this? 22gb is too much for this horrifying speed I'm getting.
Sent you a PM.

Some more screens.

1osg1.png

2ksc5.png

tera_screenshot_2011041rb7.png

tera_screenshot_2011045r2s.png

tera_screenshot_2011048qxt.png

tera_screenshot_2011048omh.png

tera_screenshot_201104at6d.png

tera_screenshot_2011044oi9.png

tera_screenshot_201104dp53.png

tera_screenshot_201104fqh1.png

tera_screenshot_201104hrq2.png

jeremy70583 said:
if anyone is on, can i get an invite? character's name is ULCajun
I'll be on in a few minutes. I'll /w you when I do get on. You could try sending a /w to Sobos, don't know for sure if he's on right now though.

How big is the game world? On those pictures above with a forest and mountains in the background, can I, for example, reach them?

It looks huge.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Hey guys, on the edge on whether or not I should dive in on this. Can someone link me the faster download for the client? And how easy was it to setup an account with some gametime? Appreciated.

Izayoi

Banned
-bakalhau- said:
How big is the game world? On those pictures above with a forest and mountains in the background, can I, for example, reach them?

It looks huge.
Huge. Almost no invisible walls. I get on top of mountains/above play area all the time.

piratepwnsninja said:
Weird, I keep trying to make a new character and it dumps me out of the game when I do the name.
It crashes your game when you try to name it? Try verifying your files when you start the launcher. Bottom right grey button.

What is that last screenshot? Does this game have warp gates, or something?
No loading screens. When fast travelling to another region you enter a warp gate that doubles as a "loading screen". Can still do everything you normally could, you're technically still in the game.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Hey guys, on the edge on whether or not I should dive in on this. Can someone link me the faster download for the client? And how easy was it to setup an account with some gametime? Appreciated.
I PM'd you a link to a torrent.

It's very easy to set up an account. All the tutorials you'll need are in the second post of the thread. I'll update it in a bit with how to do gametime.

Found a quest guide that translates half decently:

http://translate.google.com/transla...nven.co.kr/dataninfo/quest/list.php?class1=13

===>Quest zone. [more than a garden] is the beginner zone. [Belrika] is the human city when you hit lvl 11 and fly to there using fly path horse. You will know which zone it is by just click them. Look at the quest level. And the description inside that quest. They also have screen shot of the NPC in game to show you where to go.
-Taken from Tera Fans site

Izayoi said:
It crashes your game when you try to name it? Try verifying your files when you start the launcher. Bottom right grey button.

Figured it out.

The game looks absolutely ridonculous on those screenshots.
Has there ever been an UE3 game this good looking on this scale?
Obligatory whine about the size and scale of maps we could have had in pc only games instead of ports

I wish I wasn't on narrowband right now, I've been loading page 13 for the last 25 minutes to look at all these screenshots and my browser is choking on it (50KB/sec =( ).

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok trying to convince some friends in my WoW guild to give this game a look and I need some ammo...

So sorry that all of these questions are to compare it to WoW...that is what we all play right now (Me and my Guild).

World : The world looks huge, with a lot of variety in the environments. WoW is pretty big now, would you say it is close to that? I mean if you take teleporting out of wow the game is huge.

Towns/Cities : In WoW every other town looks the same, the buildings are about 10 styles redone over and over. Is there some variety in the cities? Also in WoW you can pretty much go in every building and poke around. I don't see that a lot in Korean MMOs is this the same?

Fighting : I have already explained the way combat works to them. But is there anything you can think of that is annoying in WoW that I should point out as being better in this game?

Dungeons : WoW's formula for dungeons is trash - boss - trash - boss etc. Anything unique about Tera dungeons? Not a bad thing if there isn't, was just curious since most of the shots I see are outside.

Leveling/High End : How fast is the leveling? Does it feel well paced? In WoW it is race to 85 then grind gear. Any hints as to how deep the end game is in Tera?

Everything else...

Anything else to add as a comparison to WoW that would be worth mentioning?

Noshino

argh, tried to add gametime to my account, payment went fine and all...but my paypal account wasn't verified, so the company requested not only that I verify my PP account, but also personal ID....

So I was like fuck it, I ll verify my PP account and ask them to just accept it....but then PayPal decided to act on me, and I can't get the instantaneous verification....I have to wait 2 more days for it to verify, this is ridiculous....

Mr Pockets said:
So sorry that all of these questions are to compare it to WoW...that is what we all play right now (Me and my Guild).

World : The world looks huge, with a lot of variety in the environments. WoW is pretty big now, would you say it is close to that? I mean if you take teleporting out of wow the game is huge.

Towns/Cities : In WoW every other town looks the same, the buildings are about 10 styles redone over and over. Is there some variety in the cities? Also in WoW you can pretty much go in every building and poke around. I don't see that a lot in Korean MMOs is this the same?

Yeah pretty much what I want to know (and I have asked before about it too). I'm looking for a big, beautiful game to explore. WoW was great, and I still have lots of new revamped areas to quest in, but I'm looking for something new too. WoW does have a huge, huge world. Would like a comparison with Tera.

Izayoi

Banned
Mr Pockets said:
The game is enormous. I haven't played WoW past level 30 so I couldn't say for sure, but for the game to have as many regions and as much area as it does is pretty much unheard of right after launch, I believe.

It's Lineage 2 through and through. Huge, varied zones to explore, each looking completely different than the last.

Mr Pockets said:
Every single town looks completely different. You get to a new area and everything is unique. Architecture, style, mood, tone, everything. It's amazing, and the sense of discovery has yet to stop.

Mr Pockets said:
Fighting : I have already explained the way combat works to them. But is there anything you can think of that is annoying in WoW that I should point out as being better in this game?
Yeah, the fact that it isn't a tile-clicker. You're always engaged in the game, no matter what you're doing.

Mr Pockets said:
Dungeons : WoW's formula for dungeons is trash - boss - trash - boss etc. Anything unique about Tera dungeons? Not a bad thing if there isn't, was just curious since most of the shots I see are outside.
Dungeons follow the same formula as pretty much every MMO ever (except maybe DDO). The bosses are nothing like anything I've fought in an MMO before, though.

Mr Pockets said:
Leveling/High End : How fast is the leveling? Does it feel well paced? In WoW it is race to 85 then grind gear. Any hints as to how deep the end game is in Tera?
Leveling curve has been VERY smooth and well-paced so far. It moves at a decent speed, but it's not laughable like WoW.

Mr Pockets said:
Anything else to add as a comparison to WoW that would be worth mentioning?
Yeah, don't compare it to WoW. This game is on a completely different level.

Noshino said:
argh, tried to add gametime to my account, payment went fine and all...but my paypal account wasn't verified, so the company requested not only that I verify my PP account, but also personal ID....

So I was like fuck it, I ll verify my PP account and ask them to just accept it....but then PayPal decided to act on me, and I can't get the instantaneous verification....I have to wait 2 more days for it to verify, this is ridiculous....
Ugh, that sucks dude. So you already paid?

---

I've started work on a sort of FAQ. I'll be covering mounts, basic questing, and common inventory items.

Noshino

Izayoi said:
Ugh, that sucks dude. So you already paid?

---

I've started work on a sort of FAQ. I'll be covering mounts, basic questing, and common inventory items.

I did :C

So now I have 22 bucks on hold, and a still unverified PayPal account.

I guess I ll wait til tomorrow to try once again to add gametime, hopefully I can get it working before monday...

Sucks that I've been working all week and now that I want to play the damn game, I can't :C

Anyway, yah, you need to clean up the OP a bit, haha.

Stahsky

Noshino said:
I did :C

So now I have 22 bucks on hold, and a still unverified PayPal account.

I guess I ll wait til tomorrow to try once again to add gametime, hopefully I can get it working before monday...

Sucks that I've been working all week and now that I want to play the damn game, I can't :C

Anyway, yah, you need to clean up the OP a bit, haha.

That blows, mang. I'm having issues with paypal myself right now. Guess I'll be putting trying this game out on hold for a bit after all =(

Izayoi said:
What do you suggest? I'm no good with this kind of thing.

I see nothing wrong with the way you did it. I'm not so sure what he was going at with that post. My only suggestion would be to clear up some space with the classes. Seems a bit large of a space for such little info.

Here are a couple of shots from the forest area I got to today..

Lv 13 Lancer - Pai

In front of the fountain in town..
M3Ssq.jpg

Entering town for the first time..

DNrmO.jpg

Exploring the area -

IMndp.jpg

Can't wait to play more..

Hobs

Neo Member
Game is still very fun in the middle levels, but it sucks there are a lot of quests that require groups. I hate to solo, but its pretty hard to find any locals to help out since we don't know the language.

V_Arnold

Izayoi said:
The game is enormous. I haven't played WoW past level 30 so I couldn't say for sure, but for the game to have as many regions and as much area as it does is pretty much unheard of right after launch, I believe.

WoW. You better not give MMO-related advices to people who ACTUALLY played with WoW.

Randy

The comparison isn't fair too, as TERA just launched. WoW got so much polish over the years and with Northrend, Outland and some of the revamped areas, it's just a very big world Blizz delivered. We shouldn't be expecting the same size from TERA when the game just hits the stores.

Though looking at the interactive map on the official site, I'd say it's big enough to ponder around for a couple of months.

V_Arnold

Randy said:
The comparison isn't fair too, as TERA just launched. WoW got so much polish over the years and with Northrend, Outland and some of the revamped areas, it's just a very big world Blizz delivered. We shouldn't be expecting the same size from TERA when the game just hits the stores.

Though looking at the interactive map on the official site, I'd say it's big enough to ponder around for a couple of months.

Of course, this comes up with EVERY SINGLE MMO launch, and yet, there has been exactly zero that could survive and live long enough to deliver content enough to be called "complete". My problem is when advocates of one game tries to sell the game by calling upon WOW, when it is clear that spreading BS about that game wont convert anyone who is actually playing WoW and enjoys it. I know, it is the Big Thing That is Cool To Hate, but that is still pointless.

Do we got an EU release date for this yet btw?

Stahsky

V_Arnold said:
WoW. You better not give MMO-related advices to people who ACTUALLY played with WoW.

I'm not even sure what this means. These two games are completely different beasts.

On a side note, there's a very creepy ass stream on jtv right now for this game. Creepy girl making out wallpaper, weird ass music, the works. He told me to fuck off. How rude.

Hobs said:
Game is still very fun in the middle levels, but it sucks there are a lot of quests that require groups. I hate to solo, but its pretty hard to find any locals to help out since we don't know the language.

Wait for the rest of who started later to catch up and you'll have a ton of people to group with. :3

The animation when you level up is, like the rest of the game, incredibly, excessively, pointlessly beautiful:
tera_levelup.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
V_Arnold said:
My problem is when advocates of one game tries to sell the game by calling upon WOW, when it is clear that spreading BS about that game wont convert anyone who is actually playing WoW and enjoys it.
What is your problem?

The game is complete. There's no "missing content". There are quests all the way from level 1 to cap. The regions are huge.

Meeru

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Wait for the rest of who started later to catch up and you'll have a ton of people to group with. :3

The animation when you level up is, like the rest of the game, incredibly, excessively, pointlessly beautiful:
tera_levelup.jpg
Hey you still play ffxiv by any chance?

Hobs

Neo Member
Unknown Soldier said:

I'm trying to catch up to a certain duo in our guild so I don't have to actually play by myself :D

I have a lv22 lancer that I can still use to play with a lower level group though but I'm going to stop leveling that unless a group needs a tank for an instance or something.

Also don't mind going back to older zones and help out if anyone needs help too because some of the areas are just not solo-able.

Quadratic

Spent all night downloading the client via a secondary source. Got my account set up with a 30 day time card. Now it's patching at 25kb/s. It's going to take a while. How many characters can you make with 1 account?

Quadratic said:
Spent all night downloading the client via a secondary source. Got my account set up with a 30 day time card. Now it's patching at 25kb/s. It's going to take a while. How many characters can you make with 1 account?

Xiaoki

Izayoi said:
What is your problem?

The game is complete. There's no "missing content".
Actually, there is.

Bluehole Studios has said that the true level cap for Tera is level 60. The level 50 to 60 content was not yet finished so they released early just to get it out and make money.
NCSoft did the same thing with Aion.

Im not bashing Tera because I think even with the missing final 10 levels Tera is better and more complete than most other MMOs.

I love how much detail is put into every little thing, especially the mobs, low level mobs in this game look like mid to end game level mobs in other games.

Ok, so I'm going to build a new computer just to play this game when the US version comes out. I can run it fine as is, but I'm still on a core 2 and 4 gigs of ram.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
zlatko said:
How difficult is the game both solo and in group dungeons? Be honest.
If you have shit reaction times it's kinda hard, if you know how to play action games well it's not that hard :p

zlatko

Banned
QisTopTier said:
If you have shit reaction times it's kinda hard, if you know how to play action games well it's not that hard :p

Ah, so it's super easy then? :p

That's a bit of a shame. I like difficulty in my MMO's to a good extent otherwise I just get bored no matter what the quest pertains. I'm a former FFXI player, and the story missions in that game were some of the most difficult things to get done in any game ever, but the feeling of accomplishment was second to none.

I'm hoping this game leans more towards that and not just a constant WoW set up where nothing is hard, until the very end game, and even then it's more of a time commitment then a super hard battle where you stay on top of a lot of micro.

zlatko said:
Ah, so it's super easy then? :p

That's a bit of a shame. I like difficulty in my MMO's to a good extent otherwise I just get bored no matter what the quest pertains. I'm a former FFXI player, and the story missions in that game were some of the most difficult things to get done in any game ever, but the feeling of accomplishment was second to none.

I'm hoping this game leans more towards that and not just a constant WoW set up where nothing is hard, until the very end game, and even then it's more of a time commitment then a super hard battle where you stay on top of a lot of micro.

Comparing it to the way WoW is "difficult" is completely wrong. You have physically dodge attacks, read enemy animations to do such, and aim all of your attacks so they hit while doing this. There is no tab-targeting at all. Your targeting reticle has to be on the enemy (or party member in the case of healers) for anything to hit. The best comparison, which has been thrown around, is Monster Hunter. It's that level of immediacy in the combat.

Make no mistake, this is not a faceroll MMO.

zlatko

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Comparing it to the way WoW is "difficult" is completely wrong. You have physically dodge attacks, read enemy animations to do such, aim all of your attacks so they hit while doing this.

Make no mistake, this is no a faceroll MMO.

I'll most likely play the game with a group of RL friends I've played most MMOs with throughout the years and who also play a lot of other genres of games in general. So the worry isn't going to be for us in playing it as an action game of sorts... I'm curious if the fights will require constant team work in a group and communication.

How often have you been dying in the time you've been playing? How steep is the death penalty?

Top Bottom