• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

Alrus

Unknown Soldier said:
In unrelated news, NA/EU MMOG players get screwed when it comes to paying for their games. Not only do they have to pay subscriptions month-to-month, instead of buying time cards when they have time to play and the account is just inactive when time is expired, they have to pay for the game at launch! How shitty is that? Koreans and Chinese never pay up front for the game, they just buy the time cards and go to any Internet cafe and play! I mean, I like owning my own computer and playing my games on it, but wouldn't it be cool if there was an Internet cafe on every corner which had my game installed on it, so I could just show up anywhere and log in and play?

Timecards are pretty frequent in the west too you know... When I played L2 I only used them because you could get them ridiculously cheap on same websites (or trade them for ingame currencies with other player).

Naeblish said:
Euhm.. isn't everyone speaking in Korean? Communication with other players is kinda a big part of mmo's, and the launch of a mmo is always a cool experience (even with lag, server crashes and what not). If you have the patience i would just wait for the NA/EU retail release.

WE, and by we, I mean the GAF guild, are speaking in English. As for MMOG launches, the launch week is always the most fun in any MMOG, and the game always goes downhill from there. But it's not as if playing K-Tera prevents you playing in NA/EU or participating in the launch in the West regions, all it does is let you have fun NOW instead of some putative future time which you might not live to see if you die in a horrible car crash, plane crash, or terrorist attack. :3

Okay, I'm not being that serious about the last part. But we're all having fun now and we would love to have more people to play with!

Feep

Banned
I can't really plunge through this thread at the moment, but what's the word on NA beta? I remember filling out an application some months ago...

Izayoi

Banned
Naeblish said:
Euhm.. isn't everyone speaking in Korean? Communication with other players is kinda a big part of mmo's, and the launch of a mmo is always a cool experience (even with lag, server crashes and what not). If you have the patience i would just wait for the NA/EU retail release.
You would be surprised at how many Koreans can speak English.

Feep said:
I can't really plunge through this thread at the moment, but what's the word on NA beta? I remember filling out an application some months ago...
Unknown as of right now. Some time this summer.

Is it sad that I'm really only interested in this game for it's environments? Screw the combat, characters, and everything else... I just want to walk around and admire the scenery.

Coverly

Corky said:
damn this meta-mindgame is fucking with me.

you should take the jump. It's just 32 bucks to try something really different. On the weekend I tried Rift again at the request of a friend and couldn't believe how unsatisfactory the game play felt because of Tera. I kept forgetting to select targets and then all my skills were on timers and the attack animations looked slow and off. I also missed running around the mobs because almost all combat was stationary. If anything you'll have an interesting month playing.

2San

Coverly said:
you should take the jump. It's just 32 bucks to try something really different. On the weekend I tried Rift again at the request of a friend and couldn't believe how unsatisfactory the game play felt because of Tera. I kept forgetting to select targets and then all my skills were on timers and the attack animations looked slow and off. I also missed running around the mobs because almost all combat was stationary. If anything you'll have an interesting month playing.
Don't you need a korean social security number as well?

Izayoi

Banned
Buttergoose said:
Basically, high elf female sorcerers cast spells by dancing. Also, they seem prone to adventuring in high heels :3
But I have a high elf female sorc (and priest), and they don't do that at all.

TheNiX said:
This and I want to upgrade my computer to experience the full beauty are stopping me from playing it right now.
What are your specs?

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Downloading from MegaUpload now, though I'm not sure why I'm bothering, I'll be able to experience it in about a week!
A week? Try tomorrow. Korea is a day ahead. It will be the 12th in Korea eight hours from now.

Insayne

Hello,

I updated Tera Launcher to v 2.4
Please Note: Do not use your old INI file, use the one i distribute with the package and edit the information!

I added the ability for emotes! YAY!
I added the ability to stop the program from locking your keyboard/Mouse Input as well, and did some clean up in code and a few fixes... I dont really keep a changelog on this :p

Anyhow, here it is: http://www.insayne.net/tera/TeraLauncher_v2.4.zip

For those too lazy about reading the readme, the interesting Emote excerpt:

Command : Emote
//gr : Greeting
//fg : Formal Greeting
//la : Laugh
//lol : Laugh
//cr : cry
//vi : Victory
//da : Dance
//pr : Provoke
//ap : Applause
//be : Beg
//wo : Worry
//ch : Charge
//po : Point
//sh : Shame
//an : Anger

Enjoy :)

Coverly

Insayne said:
Hello,

I updated Tera Launcher to v 2.4
Please Note: Do not use your old INI file, use the one i distribute with the package and edit the information!

I added the ability for emotes! YAY!
I added the ability to stop the program from locking your keyboard/Mouse Input as well, and did some clean up in code and a few fixes... I dont really keep a changelog on this :p

Anyhow, here it is: http://www.insayne.net/tera/TeraLauncher_v2.4.zip

For those too lazy about reading the readme, the interesting Emote excerpt:

Command : Emote
//gr : Greeting
//fg : Formal Greeting
//la : Laugh
//lol : Laugh
//cr : cry
//vi : Victory
//da : Dance
//pr : Provoke
//ap : Applause
//be : Beg
//wo : Worry
//ch : Charge
//po : Point
//sh : Shame
//an : Anger

Enjoy :)

awesome, will try it later today.

For the new update, any info on how one acquires the flying mounts or dyes?

Izayoi said:
But I have a high elf female sorc (and priest), and they don't do that at all.

What are your specs?

Uh, I honestly don't remember what my processor is and I'm on my work laptop now. I can play Bad Company 2 at reasonably high settings without framerate issues.

What I do remember: 4GB ram, HD4850.

TheNiX said:
Uh, I honestly don't remember what my processor is and I'm on my work laptop now. I can play Bad Company 2 at reasonably high settings without framerate issues.

If you can play BC2 well, then I don't think Tera will give you many problems.

Quick question: when you get new equipment, can you choose to keep you current appearance and just use the new stats ala DC Heroes Online, or is it more like WoW where you have to use the appearance too, creating ugly clown looks until you can upgrade to a new matching set of clothes?

I think DCUO did the right thing in letting players keep a cool look or weapon forever, or at least until they liked some new option.

Izayoi

Banned
Insayne said:
awesomeness
You're amazing dude. Thanks a ton. Love your launcher to death.

Coverly said:
awesome, will try it later today.

For the new update, any info on how one acquires the flying mounts or dyes?
No info yet. It appears that the PTR is not open as of right now. Later tonight I should have more information.

TheNiX said:

You will be able to run TERA just fine, then. I can only run BC2 on medium settings and still get a mediocre framerate, but run TERA on max w/ AA and have zero problems except in densely packed areas.

krypt0nian said:
Quick question: when you get new equipment, can you choose to keep you current appearance and just use the new stats ala DC Heroes Online, or is it more like WoW where you have to use the appearance too, creating ugly clown looks until you can upgrade to a new matching set of clothes?
This month's patch is included a cosmetic outfit system, where you can dye armor and store it as an outfit. I'm pretty sure you can do the same with weapons (although to be honest all of the weapons look fucking awesome so it's pretty much a non-issue).

Izayoi said:
This month's patch is included a cosmetic outfit system, where you can dye armor and store it as an outfit. I'm pretty sure you can do the same with weapons (although to be honest all of the weapons look fucking awesome so it's pretty much a non-issue).

Oh I don't mean dyeing. I actually mean keeping the same model and just adding the new stats from found items.

Izayoi

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Oh I don't mean dyeing. I actually mean keeping the same model and just adding the new stats from found items.
That's what I'm saying. You can store armor as an outfit. You still wear other armor for the stats, but only the armor you have as your outfit will show up to other people (you can toggle between your equipped appearance and outfit appearance). The dye system is something they're adding along with the outfit system.

If you've ever played LoTRO, the outfit system is exactly the same.

Izayoi said:
That's what I'm saying. You can store armor as an outfit. You still wear other armor for the stats, but only the armor you have as your outfit will show up to other people (you can toggle between your equipped appearance and outfit appearance). The dye system is something they're adding along with the outfit system.

If you've ever played LoTRO, the outfit system is exactly the same.

Oh shit I misunderstood. Then that is exactly what I'm looking for. This looks better and better all the time.

Ichabod

Banned
Very happy that its looking like there's going to be a ton of content for us once this thing actually hits NA. Also, holy shit at those latest pics.

Babalu.

well im downloading the client and the torrent is going at about 30-100kb/s.

=(

would the official download go faster then this? I just didn't want to buy an account and then waste 3 days downloading and updating. But if the official download is faster, i might as well do that. Does anyone know?

I dont want to pay to use those other rapidshare /etc links and the one i tried was going at 20kb/s so...

Izayoi

Banned
Babalu. said:
well im downloading the client and the torrent is going at about 30-100kb/s.

=(

would the official download go faster then this? I just didn't want to buy an account and then waste 3 days downloading and updating. But if the official download is faster, i might as well do that. Does anyone know?

I dont want to pay to use those other rapidshare /etc links and the one i tried was going at 20kb/s so...
The official download would be going faster. It seems like the torrent is pretty much dead.

To answer your question about the account, accounts and gametime are separate when purchased. You need an account to download the client but you don't have to have gametime actually applied to do so. Just save your code until the game has finished downloading and patching.

I will update the relevant information on the blog and in the second post. Thanks for the heads up.

Culled the OP a little to shorten it. Moved some information to the blog. Updated the relevant posts on the blog.

Izayoi

Banned
Test server is up. Patching right now. Actually getting in is kind of a pain, so I'll do a quick guide in a bit.

If I'm reading this right, when you create a character on the server it will automatically make it level 51.

I'm not sure if that's correct or not, will test.

Izayoi said:
Test server is up. Patching right now. Actually getting in is kind of a pain, so I'll do a quick guide in a bit.

If I'm reading this right, when you create a character on the server it will automatically make it level 51.

I'm not sure if that's correct or not, will test.

Yeah, that's correct. I'm in now..

I started a slayer named Tess

Babalu.

when downloading from the official website, is the orange number the speed its downloading?

and is the first number of this 53/22368mb how many mb i've downloaded? thanks

terah.jpg

Izayoi said:
I'll invite you when I get in and we can start the guild back up.

My game just crashed with a gameguard error.. or rather, what used to happen with Aion when the game crashed.

Trying to get back in now.

Doom blossom

Neo Member
Robobandit said:
Yeah, that's correct. I'm in now..

I started a slayer named Tess

Hey, that's my name!

I'm rather fond of the way this game looks, so I'll just sit around for the US release. It is tempting to buy it now and try to learn Korean, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Babalu. said:
when downloading from the official website, is the orange number the speed its downloading?

and is the first number of this 53/22368mb how many mb i've downloaded? thanks

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5730/terah.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
For your first question, sort of. It's very temperamental and rarely shows the actual speed.

For your second question, yes.

[QUOTE=Doom blossom]I'm rather fond of the way this game looks, so I'll just sit around for the US release. It is tempting to buy it now and try to learn Korean, though.[/QUOTE]
No Korean needed to play the Korean version. None of us who are currently playing know any. Well, some of us have picked some up along the way, but it's not a requirement to play at all.

Once you've downloaded the test server, in order to play you need to use the web launch option. Go to [url]http://tera.hangame.com[/url] and then log in. After you do, click on the link at the bottom of the "Game Start" box, as seen here:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oOKb4.png

Then click the blue "Game Start" button, as seen here:

ce34R.png

Hit yes to the prompt that shows up. The Invoker should start after that. The test client is set up to where there is no Invoker, so every time you want to play you'll have to follow these steps.

Doom blossom

Neo Member
Izayoi said:
For your first question, sort of. It's very temperamental and rarely shows the actual speed.

For your second question, yes.

No Korean needed to play the Korean version. None of us who are currently playing know any. Well, some of us have picked some up along the way, but it's not a requirement to play at all.

No, I'd figured none was necessary. Picking it up as you go is part of what's tempting-- I could finally watch a Korean drama without subtitles :3

I can't play the test.. it's far too laggy. Something about it is also preventing my 6970 from hitting its max clock speed like it does in the regular game..

I've also noticed sound is missing from some of the cutscenes..

I was hoping they would throw you into the floating city so people could check it out.. but it just starts you off at lv 51 in one of the cities that already exists..

Doom blossom said:
No, I'd figured none was necessary. Picking it up as you go is part of what's tempting-- I could finally watch a Korean drama without subtitles :3

Me too! :D

Also I am having trouble downloading the client. Whenever I click download client a blank window pops up along with what appears to be a log in window D: what have I done to deserve this fate?!

Izayoi

Banned
Finally got in. Oh god so many players, I'm drowning in them.

tera_screenshot_201105p85r.png

You there, Robo? Trying to invite you to my party but not getting a response.

Izayoi

Banned
NinajHeartless said:
Also I am having trouble downloading the client. Whenever I click download client a blank window pops up along with what appears to be a log in window D: what have I done to deserve this fate?!
Are you using IE 32-bit?

Izayoi said:
Are you using IE 32-bit?

I just figured it out, it was because Firefox 4 wasn't cooperating with the website :)

I switched to IE and it appears to be...doing something...
nevermind now it isn't loading the website at all...or it is going very slowly...either one :/

Update:
It is definitely loading just very very slowly

Update 2:

Downloading the client now :D

Update 3:

Nevermind that was just something that checked out the specs of my PC D: My garbage laptop failed the test ;_;

Top Bottom