• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

Jackl

Zeal said:
i can't believe it has been a year and a half since i was in the focus test. at this rate, it feels like this game is never coming out in america and i'm losing interest. i mean, we are not even in a US beta yet...wtf.

en masse needs to get it together.

Par for course I'm afraid. It's the only problem I have with Asian MMOs, they're not very good at expanding outside their base.

Zeona

Neo Member
Zeal said:
en masse needs to get it together.

They can take another year if it means we finally see a true localization of a K-MMO. All of them have a few design decisions, some obvious and some who only become visible after a while, which a huge portion of the western audience can't agree with and thus quits the game, leaving a skeleton of what the game might have been.
Some of the en masse guys have been with NC for the western Aion launch and I hope they learned their lessons with that one.

Izayoi

Banned
Robobandit said:
Where are you folks anyway?

I've logged in quite a bit over the last few days and no one seems to be signing in :(

I played solo for a while but at this point it isn't much fun logging in to an empty guild.

Hopefully people will start playing again after the patch and server merge..
I've been building a new computer mainly to play TERA with. I will return and be on full-time shortly, no worries. I think most people are just busy right now. I know that Arveene is taking care of some stuff and Kual has mad girlfriend aggro.

I've been really hyped for this game and have played in all of the tests.

My only two problems are that they need to address some controller compatibility issues and it would be nice if there was better character creation. Something akin to Phantasy Star Online's body slider.

Izayoi said:
I've been building a new computer mainly to play TERA with. I will return and be on full-time shortly, no worries. I think most people are just busy right now. I know that Arveene is taking care of some stuff and Kual has mad girlfriend aggro.

hehe.. I hear girlfriends run a lot farther than elite monsters.. and hit a lot harder.

Kual had better be careful :)

Robobandit said:
hehe.. I hear girlfriends run a lot farther than elite monsters.. and hit a lot harder.

Kual had better be careful :)

The funny part was Kual was complaining to me just the other day how impossible it was to solo elites as a slayer. GF is the highest level elite in any game, I'm going to say it might be an impossible task for him! :3

Arveene

Neo Member
I'm always around in vent. I log in every few hours whenever I'm around. Log on, check to see if anyone is around / needs help. Log off. If you need help with elites, hop in vent and bug me. I'm almost always available. I've just been playing some Mon Hun lately. I bought a small TV to put on the desk near my computer.

Izayoi

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
I hope there's still such an active GAF group for TERA once it launches in NA.
Arveene and I will be around still, at the very least. That's two max levels helping with shit, which is pretty much the most you'll ever need except for endgame instances.

Izayoi

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
Do either of you frequent terafans or the official boards? Just curious.
I have an account on TERAfans but I don't post much. I have an account on the official forums where I have adamantly opposed the censorship, but my complaints seem to fall on deaf ears so eh.

Arveene doesn't participate in the official forums, but he does frequent TERAfans, if only to lurk.

Izayoi said:
I have an account on TERAfans but I don't post much. I have an account on the official forums where I have adamantly opposed the censorship, but my complaints seem to fall on deaf ears so eh.

Arveene doesn't participate in the official forums, but he does frequent TERAfans, if only to lurk.

Yeah, the Elin censorship is a hot topic right now. I thought they were alright the way they were. It seems like there are quite a few people, including some of EME themselves that don't want Tera to show it's asian roots. You can tell by how ugly some of the characters they chose for the races pages on the official site barely resemble what the majority of that race looks like in-game.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Yeah, the Elin censorship is a hot topic right now. I thought they were alright the way they were. It seems like there are quite a few people, including some of EME themselves that don't want Tera to show it's asian roots.

Americans are not as amused by lolis as Asians are. I can see WHY they would do it, I just don't know what good it would do them as Tera is going to be a very niche title in the West anyways. They might as well leave it the way it is, nobody will notice anyways since they're all too busy playing WoW or SWTOR or whatever.

Izayoi

Banned
Isn't it sad? I really wish they would reconsider. I'm strongly against censorship in any form, and I really don't want to support them if they do go through with it. I'll continue to throw a fit, no matter how futile it may be, until launch. I don't think they're going to change their minds, but it's worth a shot.
Chances are there will be an uncensor patch out before the game even launches anyway, but it's the principle of the matter.

Unknown Soldier said:
Americans are not as amused by lolis as Asians are. I can see WHY they would do it, I just don't know what good it would do them as Tera is going to be a very niche title in the West anyways. They might as well leave it the way it is, nobody will notice anyways since they're all too busy playing WoW or SWTOR or whatever.

It's a little sad since I think EME thinks Tera is going to be a lot bigger than I have a feeling it actually will be. But as long as they keep supporting it and localizing the Korean content, I'll keep subbing.

I'm hoping that at the very least the Elin 'tights' will be tasteful and not some cheap looking texture. It all depends on if the actual artists at Bluehole are doing it or if EME is having someone do it in-house. I'm hoping for the former.

Arveene

Neo Member
Unknown Soldier said:

I think that's what they're trying to avoid. They don't want it to be a niche title. I can't say I personally agree with censorship when it goes to a game but if they believe it'll make TERA a bigger title here, I won't be 100% against it. TERA has a chance to do something new with a MMO, it's a genre that's been pretty stagnant as of late. Vindictus doesn't count because of how crappy it was. (or so I've heard) The gameplay is very addicting, and doesn't put you to sleep. Even just grinding solo mobs is fun. Now most of this is probably a moot point because in all likelihood, TERA will end up being a niche title. After playing WoW myself for 5 years and doing everything from hardcore raiding to really high rating arenas and even the IF square jumping game, it's hard to imagine WoW ever being impacted by anything. I'll still hope that TERA can breathe some new life and innovation into the MMO genre though. After seeing TERA, I'm somewhat curious to see if Titan is an action MMO.

Unknown Soldier said:
The funny part was Kual was complaining to me just the other day how impossible it was to solo elites as a slayer. GF is the highest level elite in any game, I'm going to say it might be an impossible task for him! :3

Kual is just a big baby. (Do tell him I said that, I know him IRL =p)

Mandoric

Banned
So I did some research on crystals

I stole this from the JP wiki, so the names may be completely different, but you should be able to compare the percentages (first normal, second rare drop) and work from there for everything but the status effects:

Merciless
Increase damage dealt to downed enemies. Multi: OK
Tier Level Effect
I 1 3.8%/4.6%
II 11 4.5/5.6
III 23 5.3/6.5
IV 35 6/7.4
V 48 6.8/8.3

Executor's Majesty
Increases damage dealt to normal monsters. Multi: OK
Tier Level Effect
I 1 x/3.9%
II 11 x/4.7%
III 23 x/5.4%
IV 35 x/6.2%
V 48 x/7%

Exterminator's Majesty
Increases damage dealt to small monsters. Multi: OK
Tier Level Effect
I 1 x/4%
* +1% per tier

Challenger's Majesty
Medium monsters/Multi OK
Same as Executor's

Desperate Counter
When below 50%/Multi OK
I 4/4.8%
II 4.7/5.7
III 5.4/6.7
IV 6.2/7.6
V 7/8.6

Targeted Strike
Increases crit%/Multi NG
I 1.5/2%
Plus .3% (normal) / .4% (green)

Cowardly Blow
Increases crit multiplier from rear/Multi NG
I .46/.6%
II .56/.72
III .64/.84
IV .74/.96
V .82/1.08

Desperate Strike
Increases crit multiplier below 50%/Multi NG
I .64/.8
II .78/.96
III .9/1.1
IV 1.04/1.26
V 1.16/1.42

Seize the Moment
Increases crit power on downed enemies/Multi NG
I Enhance Critical I
(increases by one tier per/greens give no bonus)

Rage of the Exterminator
Increases crit multiplier on small monsters/Multi NG
I x/.72
II x/.88
(+.14 each tier from here on)

Rage of the Challenger
Increases crit multiplier on medium monsters/Multi NG
I x/.72
II x/.88
(+.14 each tier from here on)

Rage Silencer
Increases crit multiplier on raging monsters/Multi NG
I .7/.86
II .86/1.02
III 1/1.2
IV 1.14/1.36
V 1.28/1.54

Preparations to Counterattack
Grants MP HoT when downed/Multi NG
I MP HoT I

Witch's Bauble
Increases max MP/Multi OK
*Req lv. 35 Max MP +180

Berserker Spirit
Recover MP when hit/Multi NG
I +30/+41
+6/+8 per tier

Focused Attack
Grants MP HoT when landing a crit from behind/Multi NG
I MP HoT I

Weak Point Smash
Grants Boost status when landing a crit from behind/multi NG
I Boost I

Poisoned Blade
Inflicts Poison status when attacking a downed enemi/Multi NG
I Poison I

Combat Speed
Increases movement speed in combat/Multi NG
I 6/7
II 7/9
III 8/10
IV 9/12
V 10/13

Mandoric

Banned
And now for armor:

Endurance
Increase max HP/Multi OK
I 143/194
II 249/336
III 479/646
IV 914/1234
V 1840/2484

Vampire's Ruby
Increase max HP/Multi OK
*lv25 897

Healing Flow
Regenerate HP every 5 seconds/Multi OK
I 10/13
II 17/22
III 32/43
IV 61/82
V 123/166

Hand of the Savior
50% proc rate HoT on downing/Multi NG
I HoT I
/as all the other effects

Executor's Hope
10% proc rate HoT when downed by normal monsters
I HoT I

Awakening
Increase max MP/Multi OK
I 94/127
II 113/152
III 131/177
IV 150/203
V 169/228

Flow of Mana
Regenerate MP every 5 seconds/Multi OK
I 18/25
II 20/27
III 24/32
IV 28/38
V 29/39

Vengeant Will
Regen MP when struck in PvP/Multi NG
I 39/53
II 47/64
III 55/74
IV 63/85
V 71/95

Last Will
Decrease damage taken below 50% HP/Multi OK
I 3.9%/4.7%
II 4.6/5.7
III 5.4/6.6
IV 6.2/7.6
V 7/8.5

Executor's Will
Decrease damage taken from normal monsters/Multi OK
I x/3.9%
II x/4.6
III x/5.4
IV x/6.2
V x/7

Exterminator's Will
Decrease damage taken from small monsters/Multi OK
I x/4%
+1%/tier

Challenger's Will
Decrease damage taken from small monsters/Multi OK
I x/3.9%
II x/4.6
III x/5.4
IV x/6.2
V x/7

Silent Determination
Decrease damage taken from raging monsters/Multi OK
I 3.4/2.2
II 4/5.1
III 4.7/5.9
IV 5.4/6.8
V 6.1/7.6

Last Line of Defense
Decreases crit%when below 50%/Multi OK
I 3.9/4.7
II 4.6/5.7
III 5.4/6.6
IV 6.2/7.6
V 7/8.5

Blessings of the Savior
Creates barrier when downed. Procs 50%/Multi NG
I Barrier I

Challenger's Guts
As above/medium/15% proc/rare only

Cool Riposte
As above/raging/100% proc

Peaceful Speed
Increases movement speed while not in combat/Multi NG
I 11/15
II 13/18
III 15/21
IV 18/24
V 20/27

The wording for the ones that activate on downs is a little funky and I'm too lazy to think about it, so take it with a grain of salt.

Izayoi

Banned
Mandoric said:
Anyone else having trouble logging in? I've been getting a blank server browser all night.
Hm... I just tried and had no problems logging it and loading up one of my characters. I dunno.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
what's better between this and vindictus?

Babalu.

well, it looks like there was a patch today and they merged servers.

I was on the server with terafans and here and all of my characters are on the same server now. Some of them had the same name so now a few of them have a _MA or _PA after their names.

I'm not sure what the PA and MA means after the names but there's a lot of red text everywhere and I can't pick them to play. Does anyone know whats going on?

edit: it looks like all the red was just saying I have too many characters on the server now

And after thats taken care of, all of your characters with a _xx after the name will be asked to be renamed when you try to log in with it.

And it seems all the names with doubles are available now too. I tried to create a character and all the popular names that weren't available before on either server were now available. So i guess they just changed both peoples names, and its a first come first serve basis. So go grab your name quick or someone else might take it. (i didn't take any names)

Yep.. servers are merged now. The first town is no longer totally empty.

I changed my character name from Hona to Konashi, but it isn't being reflected in the guild roster consistently yet.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SuperAngelo64 said:
Tera is an open-world MMO. Vindictus is not.
well, even so, which one do you enjoy more?

Izayoi

Banned
isamu said:
well, even so, which one do you enjoy more?
Personally, TERA.

Combat is way more in-depth. Not nearly as fast paced, but it's better off, I think. Server-based, so no horrendous unplayable lag, despite the fact that almost all of are at least one, some of us two, oceans away. Open-world is pretty much a must for me, at this point. It got more than a little tiresome running the same exactly thing over and over and over again in Vindictus. TERA has more content in its right pinky than all of Vindictus.

The server merge has occurred! I logged on to find 2 of my characters renamed Character_PA and when I selected one, I was prompted to enter a new name. Bugger, I guess some Korean bastard named Azunyan logged on before I did. Oh well.

The super-patch hasn't dropped yet, though I wonder how the hell they are going to handle the load when over a hundred thousand people all try to download 9GB at the same time.

Izayoi

Banned
lol

tera2011-05-2822-37-16ytyg.png

Yes, this is an example of completely ridiculous:

ridiculous.jpg

The blue texts are all player stores. LOL. I love how the Koreans clump them all in the same general area, how the hell do they even find what they are looking for in the mass of hundreds of player stores?

Babalu.

eww hope there is a hotkey to turn off names/store text.

btw, is anyone on that can invite me to the guild? /w me please. my name is annabanana

thanks! i'll be on for awhile hoping for an invite :) thanks!

Alrus

Unknown Soldier said:
Yes, this is an example of completely ridiculous:

The blue texts are all player stores. LOL. I love how the Koreans clump them all in the same general area, how the hell do they even find what they are looking for in the mass of hundreds of player stores?

Heh they're doing it Lineage 2 style I see, that's a bit backward... In L2 there was a search prompt that would highlight shops with the words you looked for. It was okay-ish, but as it would just look in store names and not the item in the story themselves, you would still miss some stuff at times.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Quick question - How does Tera handle exp gain and claiming? Like, if one person is attacking a mob, can another person come up and hit it too?

Who gets the exp and the item drops?

Rentahamster said:
Quick question - How does Tera handle exp gain and claiming? Like, if one person is attacking a mob, can another person come up and hit it too?

Who gets the exp and the item drops?

This seems like a totally random question, but okay.

Claiming in Tera is pretty straightforward. The one who hits it first 'tags' it, the name then turns grey which means it's now claimed. Remember that this game is free-targeting, you don't "lock on" to anything, you point your crosshair at it and attack. So you are welcome to hit somebody else's mob for them all you like after it's tagged, but they get all the XP and loot drops from it.

The game doesn't have anything you'll ever be fighting with other players over though as far as I can see. All elites and world bosses spawn again a minute or so after you kill it, and instances reset every 20 minutes. You can make instances reset instantly by breaking the party and having a different person become the leader as well. Trash mobs you'll need for quests are just about everywhere and the game has channels too like Aion. I've never felt like I was being restricted from progressing because somebody else was killing the mob I wanted, the whole game has the feeling of being well-thought-out from the moment you land on Nub Island and go.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
That looks fucking insane.

What's insane is my framerate, I was getting anywhere from 9 to 11 fps running through that mess.

Izayoi

Banned
Babalu. said:
eww hope there is a hotkey to turn off names/store text.

btw, is anyone on that can invite me to the guild? /w me please. my name is annabanana

thanks! i'll be on for awhile hoping for an invite :) thanks!
Sorry I missed you! I'm on right now if you're around.

Unknown Soldier said:
Claiming in Tera is pretty straightforward. The one who hits it first 'tags' it, the name then turns grey which means it's now claimed. Remember that this game is free-targeting, you don't "lock on" to anything, you point your crosshair at it and attack. So you are welcome to hit somebody else's mob for them all you like after it's tagged, but they get all the XP and loot drops from it.
That's not quite right. When you tag a mob by hitting it first, you are ensuring that you will get any loot that drops. XP is directly related to how much damage you do and your relative level. If you are a much lower level than the person who is attacking your mob, your XP gets cuts severely. XP is split among all participants of a battle, whether they are in your party or not. In a case where a party attacks another party's mob, it works in a similar matter, where XP is split by how much damage each party does, and then it is equally split among party members. For mobs to count toward your quest, you need to do at least 50% of its HP (as an individual if solo, as a party if grouped).

Items always have a chance to drop, but the chance scales with how much damage the tagging person/party does to the mob. Say, I tag a mob and only do 20% of its health before a high level comes and one-shots it. I still have a chance for loot to drop, but that chance is much lower than if I had done 100% of the damage.

Also, as far as mob competition goes, it's not a huge deal at lower levels - however at cap it can get very hectic. I think that will probably be alleviated by the level cap increase, hopefully, seeing as the new areas are PvP-enabled and you can just PK whoever is in your farming spot.

Anyway, did some image quality tests. I took a screenshot from the exact same angle at all different available levels of AA for single-GPU nVidia cards/solutions. If you're interested, here's a zip file that has a comparison of the same area (pixel for pixel) at each level at four different levels of zoom:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d6643b8eodz966r

Past 4xAA you're really getting into the territory of severe diminishing returns. You're probably best off with just 4xAA if you've got an older card, as 8xCSAA/MSAA really doesn't seem like a huge improvement (in fact, 4xMSAA and 8xCSAA are pixel-for-pixel identical), and past that it's even less obvious (and in some cases worse - higher levels of AA like to introduce artifacts into the image). Here's a zip with all of the original screenshots that these comparisons were culled from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8a5q4y7g77hucab

Izayoi said:
Sorry I missed you! I'm on right now if you're around.

That's not quite right. When you tag a mob by hitting it first, you are ensuring that you will get any loot that drops. XP is directly related to how much damage you do and your relative level. If you are a much lower level than the person who is attacking your mob, your XP gets cuts severely. XP is split among all participants of a battle, whether they are in your party or not. In a case where a party attacks another party's mob, it works in a similar matter, where XP is split by how much damage each party does, and then it is equally split among party members. For mobs to count toward your quest, you need to do at least 50% of its HP (as an individual if solo, as a party if grouped).

Items always have a chance to drop, but the chance scales with how much damage the tagging person/party does to the mob. Say, I tag a mob and only do 20% of its health before a high level comes and one-shots it. I still have a chance for loot to drop, but that chance is much lower than if I had done 100% of the damage.

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. As I was writing my post I was wondering how Bluehole prevented powerleveling by having a high level player come and oneshot mobs for you that you tagged first.

Also, as far as mob competition goes, it's not a huge deal at lower levels - however at cap it can get very hectic. I think that will probably be alleviated by the level cap increase, hopefully, seeing as the new areas are PvP-enabled and you can just PK whoever is in your farming spot.

Is this because of bots or something else? I thought all the big dungeons at endgame people run for loot are instanced.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Is this because of bots or something else? I thought all the big dungeons at endgame people run for loot are instanced.
No bots, too much competition for that. Farming field elites can get you the medium monster crystals as well as greens, blues, and orange gear. Very, very lucrative. If you don't have a group it's the way to go. Otherwise, yeah, you're better off doing instances.

Squash

That player stores screenshot is surprising. Coming from Ragnarok Online it's nothing new but I thought auction houses were all the craze nowadays.

So do you see this game being able to draw 1000s of people in PvP Seiges and raids, like Aion/Lineage 2?

Those games had servers that could handle such epic battles. I wonder if TERA will allow it too?

It always bothered me how WoW's infastructure could not handle it. They had to do instanced pvp(battlegrounds) because they technology could not sustain 1000 people going apeshit on one of the major cities. it made the servers choke up...

It bothered me because that's what we all wanted. that's exactly what I think most of us dreamed about when playing the Warcraft RTS games. To be a foot soldier in a war to end all wars.

Izayoi

Banned
Squash said:
That player stores screenshot is surprising. Coming from Ragnarok Online it's nothing new but I thought auction houses were all the craze nowadays.
Player shops are still secondary to the auction house. They're there for those who absolutely can't wait and must have whatever now, or people who can't be bothered to take the time to sell things on the AH. There's no fee for selling through them other than homunculus upkeep, but it still doesn't make up for the much larger profit margins garnered from selling on the AH.

Vigilant Walrus said:
So do you see this game being able to draw 1000s of people in PvP Seiges and raids, like Aion/Lineage 2?

Those games had servers that could handle such epic battles. I wonder if TERA will allow it too?
It will. This summer we're getting some preliminary server vs. server stuff, and later this year we'll be getting an entire continent that can be occupied by players from several servers at a time, as well as server wars.

Teknoman

KaYotiX said:
GaF guilds never last

I'm not playing this atm, but if its one thing i've learned about playing any major online title with GAF that isnt something that is a "lets play" like Diablo or PSO:

Always invite cool people you know in game/ friends/ family to GAF guilds. That way you have the GAF that stay and others to help fill out the ranks, adding more as you go.

Babalu.

Yeah there seems to be a big patch. Its taking forever =( guess I wont be able to play today. Its only going at like 60k/s.

anyone know what the patch is about?

Izayoi

Banned
Babalu. said:
Yeah there seems to be a big patch. Its taking forever =( guess I wont be able to play today. Its only going at like 60k/s.

anyone know what the patch is about?
Level cap raised to 58, ten new areas, tons of shit.

I will post a full list of changes here in a bit.

Top Bottom