• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

zlatko

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Beta release and full game release sometime this year from what I was told at E3

They can take as much time as they want if it means a much more polished game with a bigger player base. This will lead to better expansions and updates since the team will have more money to pool from to keep the game awesome over time.

I hope they can get SOME advertising out at least online when they plan to launch. TERA still isn't a big enough name to carry weight in the MMO space like Guild Wars 2. Either way I'm all in for a day one buy even without a beta. I wants my precious. :(

Izayoi

Banned
zlatko said:
I hope they can get SOME advertising out at least online when they plan to launch. TERA still isn't a big enough name to carry weight in the MMO space like Guild Wars 2. Either way I'm all in for a day one buy even without a beta. I wants my precious. :(
I'm sure there will be an advertising push closer to the beta launch.

I have a feeling they're going to be relying on word of mouth a lot for this, though. We'll see how that works out.

Mandoric

Banned
Izayoi said:
Content isn't a huge problem, and people bitching about lack of endgame are the very small handful of people who could actually beat Akasha's Lair.

$20 a month. ;_;

I haven't quit, just on a break until I can get some cash reserves.

I'd be in if we got back rolling too, especially now that I'm settled in at my new place. Just didn't feel like dropping $20 on more nights when I couldn't log on until 4am and everyone else asleep, what with the patch making my current quest mobs suddenly link.

Arveene

Neo Member
Robobandit said:
guess that gaming rig was a little too nice :)

I guess I'll just take a break.. no real interest in soloing to 50 or beyond.

Mandoric said:
I'd be in if we got back rolling too, especially now that I'm settled in at my new place. Just didn't feel like dropping $20 on more nights when I couldn't log on until 4am and everyone else asleep, what with the patch making my current quest mobs suddenly link.

I'm still around just hanging around level 51. =p

My mystic is level 39 and I wouldn't be opposed to doing some grouping. I'm on like level 42 quests though.

Arveene

Neo Member
Robobandit said:
I'm almost 38 at this point..

Arveene, aren't you worried about killing your gpu?

I was. I decided to do some more testing with it and found out that it's the card for sure that's acting funky. RMAed it. I'm currently using a different card. Should be able to run TERA fine.

Arveene said:
I was. I decided to do some more testing with it and found out that it's the card for sure that's acting funky. RMAed it. I'm currently using a different card. Should be able to run TERA fine.

Your GTX 570 was giving you problems? You didn't have it very long before it started to die on you...

My Ranger is still 38 but I would need to buy more time to resume play. I'm willing to come back if we can get some people going and a reasonably consistent group. Soloing isn't all that much fun on a Ranger, you almost never die but it takes forever to painstakingly and slowly kill mobs one by one.

Keasar

How difficult is it to understand the game? I have recently bought a account and waiting for the game to download (on my second day of downloading, very slow, at 73% right now) before I buy some gametime. The guide that is linked in this thread mentions that it has a category for quick understanding of early gameplay but there is nothing there, or at least I can't access it if it's there.

Looking forward alot to trying this, from the responses in this thread, it sounds like a really fun game.

Edit: So yeah, I got some initial impressions after 3 days of downloading it.
Really, really beautifull game, the gobsmacking kind. Even though I am a little reserved at the usual over the top design these games seem to have on their enviroment and characters, I gotta say this is the one that really gets me to like it too.

The combat system, altough I havent gottenn very far yet, is really fun, I like the more actiony thing going on and hope to get somewhere where more is needed by my play.

I just now wish I could understand anything of whats being said, perhaps would make matters a little easier (still randomly pushing buttons hoping for satisfying effect). :p

Anyway, is the NeoGaf guild still going on? I would really love to join in to have some people to play this with and discuss it with in-game.

The guild exists still.. if we can get people back.. (Arveene, Unknown, Izayoi, Mandoric).. then I see no reason things shouldn't continue on for a while.

I'm certainly up for it, as I'm paid up through august 3rd.

Keasar

Well, I am up for it definetly, right now I have only bought a 30 hour timecard to begin with but if the guild would get togheter and I would be able to join in, I could very well extend that.

vivin

How are you guys going about adding extra game time? still going through the site which you got the accounts from?

Was really tempted to play again, but dont know if I can be bothered going through that site every 30days -__-;

Keasar

I went through the site where I got the account, it isnt that big of a hassle really. Only slightly bothering thing is the higher price for gametime for a game I can barely understand, but hey, at least the game itself (or account) was cheap. :p

I bought a 90 day time block.. it was the best overall deal and I don't have to go back to the site for 3 months..

If you buy 30 day time blocks, they just e-mail you a code to enter into your account like a time card for other mmorpgs..

RiverBed

Banned
My Korean roommate just highly recommended this game for me. It looks fantastic. How is it different from other MMOs?
I just find out GW2 is extremely promising with revolutionary MMO ideas.

I don't think I can sink in two MMOs at the very beginning.

meep!

Neo Member
I am quite surprised they did not announce any Beta date yet.
Last I heard anything about it was in early spring - about beta in the summer. It's now soon July and no word about it.
Kind of odd since a long Beta will only help them work out the nasty bugs and serverload issues, instead of fighting that too much at release.

Keasar

RiverBed said:
My Korean roommate just highly recommended this game for me. It looks fantastic. How is it different from other MMOs?
I just find out GW2 is extremely promising with revolutionary MMO ideas.

I don't think I can sink in two MMOs at the very beginning.
You could probably handle Guild Wars 2 and this at the same time since Guild Wars 2 will be free to play after you buy it. I am personally going for Guild Wars 2 first hand, but this is one I really like to also play.

What makes it different mostly I would say is the more action oriented combat that accounts positioning and hitboxes unlike other MMOs where you just target the enemy and hope for a calculation to hit for you. Think of Monster Hunter but in MMO form.

And then its also a really pretty game helps too. :)

Mallika

I'm late to the party of knowing I can get an account, but thanks OP for making the blog. Very informative.

How long did it take you guys to download the game from the official site? I've had it downloading for about 4 hours now and I've only downloaded 380/24414 mb and I feel like that's impossibly slow -- at this rate I'm going to finish the download in 10 damn days.

I want to play so bad. :(

Babalu.

I remember it took me like almost 2 days.

Because for me the 22GB download wasn't even the longest. After that download, you need to update which took me another whole day.

My speeds ranged from 50kb/s to 1.4mb/s if I remember correctly, very inconsistent.

After my 30 days were up, I had one of every class up to around lvl 10-20. I haven't renewed and I'm thinking I got a good taste, and can wait. It gets really annoying not being able to read anything. I will definitly buy it once it comes out in the US.

Reiko and I had a blast playing and we both love the game but have decided to wait for the NA release. I have a huge backlog of games and $42+ for monthly game time for both us when no one was ever online at the same time as us made it difficult to continue playing.

Have fun everyone and see you at NA launch!

vehn

Would anyone care to sell their account to me? Thread seems to be slowing down a bunch, so why let your account rot!

Naito

OP is on TERA Fans.
This is regarding the fail interview of E3 2011. EME took some time to re-check the questions and gave us some real answers this time.

Chris Hager said:
Q: Why does it look like TERA has aim-assist skills for certain spells? (Some mystic/archer skills seem to curve as the target moves.)
A: Early in TERA’s dev cycle, attacks didn’t have aim-assist. Once people started playing, we noticed there were a lot of people who couldn’t hit the target with the basic attacks because the control and targeting became very difficult. Because of this, we changed a few skills to instant timing, which is why some skills look like they curve. For these few skills the ‘hit’ is based on the reticle & target at the time of cast. We adjusted the lock-on for some skills and are happy with the results; it doesn’t spoil the non-targeting feel of TERA.

Q: Will mystics get more control over their pets?
A: In the latest build we have, the mystic pet has the ability to attack or follow by command. We plan to continue work on this, and it is quite high on our to-do list. The only issue is that adding a skill requires a lot of balancing¬ against itself and other class skills. We are always slammed for time in our dev cycles, so we can’t say exactly when we’ll complete this, but it is on our ‘high priority to-do’ list.

Q: When will there be guild housing?
A: This is something we are actively exploring. Initially, we had the plan to use the buildings in big cities as guild houses. Once we started looking more into this, we realized there was a conflict between what we could do with the existing buildings in the cities and what the player expectation was. Putting something unpolished in game can create incomplete content that satisfies no one (players or devs). We are currently looking at what we can do with guild housing so that it’s polished content and meets not only player expectations, but our own.

Q: Will there be player housing?
A: If we implement housing, then the order would be guild housing, then player housing. Right now it is difficult to say specifically if/when we will implement these. As I said above, we are actively investigating housing.

Q: Will the five-second PK rule be altered on PvP servers?
A: PK declaration time requires a very delicate balance that satisfies the majority of players. EME will begin our PvP server testing with a five-second PK rule, but will have external testing for these settings this fall and will adjust the final settings based on feedback and overall functionality.

Q: What do you plan on doing with damage scaling in PvP? PvP specific armor? Damage reduction in PK/BGs?
A: There is already a damage-scaling system in place, but the issue is balancing. There are PvP armor/weapon sets as well as PvP-specific skills and crystals. For now, we think the bigger issue is the balance between classes and the user’s skill in controlling a character rather than equipment. We are always listening to player opinions regarding balance, and as we go through focus-group testing and CBTs, we will continue to monitor and implement feedback.

Q: Any news on updated racial skill balance?
A: There hasn’t been an instance where racial skill balance has been a big issue. We hear a lot more issues regarding class balance instead. Once the classes are more or less balanced, we think the next balance issue will be racial skills, and at that time we’ll start working on those.

Q: Any more/new options for character creation? ie hairstyles, faces, etc. (When will horns/ears be seperated from hairstyles?)
A: TERA’s current character creation has a lot of ways to make a character feel unique. Although it is better to have more character creation options, we don’t feel TERA’s at a loss here. As we come out with new content and updates, there will be a natural addition to character creation, but it won’t be something we add right away. We’ve got more content work to do first.

Q: Will there ever be any options to "physically" change your armor; rip off a sleeve, shorten the bottoms, etc.
A: Currently there is no plan to implement physical damage effects for armor. We reduced the customizable portions of a player’s armor/weapons so we could add more detail and polish to those pieces. If there is a high player demand for costume customization, it could be possible to add that feature into future development plans.

Q: Will there be any hair/face/skin-changing NPCs (hair salons, cosmotologists) which you could go to and pay in-game gold to change one of the desired features?
A: In the most recent update, we’ve added functionality so a user can change a character’s appearance.

Q: Will any substantial info be released on argons and their origins? Being the main antagonists, there isn't a lot of info about these metallic creatures from another dimension.
A: More information will come in time. We can’t reveal more about the story now because it would point towards our future content update plans, and we have to keep some things secret!

Q: Are barakas now constructs made from the giants, or are they a friendly clan of the giants? Lore is very wishy-washy; one says they are constructs, the other says they are relatives.
A: The barakas don’t have a home because we haven’t revealed it… yet. Their home is in a continent that we are planning on introducing in an upcoming content update, so stay tuned and learn more about baraka lore.

Q: Are there plans to enhance the guild leveling system?
A: We have a lot of ideas on ways to enhance guilds and the guild leveling system in TERA. Unfortunately we have a huge list of content we want to add or enhance, and all of it takes time, development, and testing cycles before it goes live. Please know we’re actively working on ways to enhance guilds, and you will see this in future updates.

Q: Will we get emotes for slow walking and sitting? If not, why? These little things support roleplay a lot.
A: We had a similar thought when we initially started working on TERA, and the development team shared that opinion, too. When we thought of implementing them, we came to the conclusion that those emotes would be cosmetic only, which goes against the HP recovery that sitting has in other current games. Because we want everything in TERA to have a reason that makes sense, we decided to leave these emotes out. We do recognize that emotes like this are a huge part in roleplaying, though, so these (and other) emotes have not been totally killed from a future dev list, they are just low priority compared to the other things we want to accomplish in the game first.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Let's not forget about Chris Hager's response:
Hi All,

I can definitely see your frustration with the interview I gave at E3 and wanted to clarify a few things with regards my answers.

There are a few categories that questions fall into during an interview. The easiest and best for everyone are the ones where we have detailed answers we can give (like this year’s political system coverage at E3). It was planned and we had plenty of time to scope specific questions, run through internal Q&As to make sure we had all the answers, and could clearly communicate them.

Sometimes questions fall into the section of “I just can’t answer that now.” I can’t talk about launch dates or launch patches without giving one or the other away, and we’re just not ready to talk about those yet. This isn’t to keep secrets from you, but because we have to coordinate major news releases across multiple departments within EME and even multiple companies across the world. These kinds of announcements are very well coordinated and tripping up and accidentally releasing info before it’s ready to go out tends to have huge ripple effects, so we just don’t do it.

There are also questions about the game in its current form in Korea. I won’t comment on specifics of the Korean game because it’s not EME’s version of TERA. We haven’t launched that yet, but when we do we’ll be more than willing to talk about the specifics of that game. The reasoning behind not talking about the Korean version is that we don’t know if some features will be tweaked or changed between now and our launch, and it’s just a different version of the game.

At times we also get questions where we have unverified info on how a mechanic in game works. Design documents and feature schedules are great but things change in the time from design to implementation. Until we see it in action we aren’t going to comment on it because the development team may have to change the feature or drop it completely. If we talked about everything in consideration for development we would constantly be retracting or changing features. It just isn’t possible so we take a more conservative and completest approach by talking about the feature once we have verified it hands on.

We always strive to answer everyone’s questions and give it the level of detail that it needs, but there are times like the above situations where for a variety of reasons we can’t answer them right away. When this happens please know that we either will talk about it, won’t talk about it, or are waiting for the right time to release that info.

To show that we do care about answering fan questions, I’ve gone through and picked some questions from the E3 thread that Amira gathered and am working on getting you answers now. Expect a post with answers from me by the end of next week!

Thanks,
-Chris

Chris Hager
Producer | TERA
www.tera-online.com

Naito

Chris Hager said:
EME will begin our PvP server testing with a five-second PK rule, but will have external testing for these settings this fall and will adjust the final settings based on feedback and overall functionality.
I suppose this crush the expectations for a September's release.

cripterion

Seems the japanese release of the game will be at the end of this month.

http://tera.hangame.co.jp/station/package.nhn

I too am waiting for an N/A release to play again with you guys (Arasso was my main char).
I tried to fire up the game the other day after getting the update and it somehow goes straight back to the desktop after having verified the files :/

Plumpman

Anyone still active?

Seriously considering getting my Brother and I into K-Tera and have gone through the journey of reading this thread to get up to speed.

cripterion

Also, a Japanese open beta has been confirmed, but you'll have to use a VPN for that. And that means lags.

No problem here as I'm living in Japan.

Playing on N/A servers will be an issue for me though lol.

Izayoi

Banned
cripterion said:
I too am waiting for an N/A release to play again with you guys (Arasso was my main char).
I tried to fire up the game the other day after getting the update and it somehow goes straight back to the desktop after having verified the files :/
Just keep restarting and eventually it will work.

Plumpman said:
Anyone still active?

Seriously considering getting my Brother and I into K-Tera and have gone through the journey of reading this thread to get up to speed.
I recently found some part-time work so I might have enough money to resub in a while.

Keasar

I just played once again and went for the second time into a city where I got absolutely terrified to see personally for the first time the player run stores.

I really hope this is something they change later, I hate having all these things cluttering up streets and being a hopeless bother to search through in any game. :/

Give me a easily manageable action house and I am good (or perhaps that already exists?).

Keasar said:
I just played once again and went for the second time into a city where I got absolutely terrified to see personally for the first time the player run stores.

I really hope this is something they change later, I hate having all these things cluttering up streets and being a hopeless bother to search through in any game. :/

Give me a easily manageable action house and I am good (or perhaps that already exists?).

Yeah, why the fuck don't more games adopt Vindictus's shop function? You just go to a board and look through a list of all the items people are offering. The people offering the items also don't have to stand there all day like retards. They just put their item on sale and go on their merry way.

Izayoi

Banned
There is an auction house. Sometimes you can find items for a little cheaper in player shops, but it's not worth it to search through them usually. Player shops are generally crowded around an auction house, so you were probably close to one when you saw all of them.

Plumpman

So I've been playing for the past few days, and this game is brilliant.
I was wondering if anyone from the guild is on so I could get an invite? Kinda new here but really wanna get involved.

Also I was wondering, how safe do you think it is to have 2 accounts being played from one household (My brother and I). I've held off on second account for now because I'm afraid of getting IP banned.

Keasar

Izayoi said:
There is an auction house. Sometimes you can find items for a little cheaper in player shops, but it's not worth it to search through them usually. Player shops are generally crowded around an auction house, so you were probably close to one when you saw all of them.
Oh so thats what it was? Thought it was a bank or something. Just ran past it.

Izayoi said:
Yeah, game seems to get pushed back more and more.

I'm fine with that, as long as the final product is good.

Someone on MMORPG.com was slinging doomsdays prophercies and saying that it has scaled back in Korea immensely due to serious lack of end game.

That might be a good thing for us, for it means that they truly did not give us a korean grinder! I hope they can fix this.

After all, Patrick Wyatt is working on this game. True OG!

There was a serious lack of content when they pushed the game out the door in Korea.

They had many systems and game features that were still in development (political system, battlegrounds, armor reskinning, etc.) that were ignored so they could push the game out faster in Korea.

The reason the US launch is taking so long is because they are waiting until the first Korean game update (with all the features listed above) are translated into English.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ok, so the Japanese OB will start on 08.08.2011, 8:00 AM (PM? It just says "8:00" on the site) Japanese time.

The fun part is, you don't need too use VPN all the time, only the proxy in IE to:
- make a hangame account
- download the client installer (you will have to use 32bit IE)
- turn on the client installer every time
- turn on the game launcher (not sure about that)
- login
After logging in you should disable (before gameguard kicks in) your proxy and you're good to go.

The client is about 24GB.

Also, as far as I know, there will be name claiming before the beta start, but I'm not sure if the people who bought the game will be able to do it before the rest or will it be restricted to game owners. Anyway, on 2nd of August all of us should be able to log in and create characters.

Edit:
I've encountered a weird error - I could login on the website, but in the game client I've got a message saying that I've entered bad login/password too many times and should login through the website (you can't start game from the website through proxy). Luckily, changing the proxy fixed this and I could login to my hangame account through the launcher.

Jira

piratepwnsninja said:
Probably. They don't want to release anywhere in the same area as TOR or D3.

Nor GW2 in late Q1/early Q2. Safest bet is to launch in summer of 2012 because that's far enough away from GW2's launch and WoW's next expansion.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Jira said:
Nor GW2 in late Q1/early Q2. Safest bet is to launch in summer of 2012 because that's far enough away from GW2's launch and WoW's next expansion.
Well, they still aim for 2011 as far as I know. Plus, testing of the modified PvP system will happen sometime in "autumn" (that's what EME said), so...

Jackl

Unless they start pushing out more info and testing phases Speedy McQuick I believe we will be looking at a 2012 release. With TOR/GW and even Diablo drumming up this fall going to be pretty hard to pull interest on release.

I've stopped playing Ktera as you can only have so much to do isolated from the rest of the community. Going on blackout till release. Tired of waiting for announcements of announcements.

I'm not sure why I'm tempted to try playing in JP open beta. It would just be trading one kind of moonrunes for another. But, it would be free...

real edit: Nevermind, it's IP-locked. I don't have a VPN so forget that noise.

Top Bottom