• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cool thanks for info on tagging.

How is the economy fairing in this game? Is there a decent money in money out mechanic? Is there a problem with item glut?

Rentahamster said:

How is the economy fairing in this game? Is there a decent money in money out mechanic? Is there a problem with item glut?

The economy for the Koreans seems pretty reasonable. It's fairly straightforward to find things for sale on the AH and the prices seem okay for me, though later on items get much more expensive. During weekends the Koreans tend to raid the AH and stuff suddenly gets sold out, then it reappears again during the week as Koreans put new stuff up for sale. Most Koreans are pretty rich due to extensive item farming and running of endgame instances, cause you know Koreans love to grind, but they also spend like crazy on the AH. It can cost an endgame player 40-50 million gold to equip themselves to run endgame instances. So you will earn a lot of money, and you will spend it.

Because all dropped items in this game except useless Whites are either BoA (quest items) or BoE (all rares), there can't be item glut since once you've received it from the quest NPC, equipped it after you bought in from the AH, it's yours forever on that character and cannot be resold or given to your alts. This is a huge fail in FFXIV's design that nothing is BoA/BoE and anybody can equip anything without regards to level, combine that with the broken Market Wards and the fact that nobody new is entering that game and only a few thousand level-capped players are still playing and you end up with FFXIV's utterly dysfunctional economy.

The economy of Tera is pretty funny for us because we started months after the Koreans did. There's a certain type of potion which instantly restores most of your HP while in combat. This being an MMOG, you're not really supposed to be able to heal yourself much or at all unless you are a healer class (Priest or Mystic). FFXIV was of course an exception to that general gameplay mechanic since you can use any skill you've earned on any job in that game. So these potions are in high demand, and they are rare because you get them only as reward items from certain quests and really you need to start a new alt to gather a lot of them quickly. So Koreans buy these potions for a shit ton of money on the AH, because they've been playing for months and are filthy rich. So through doing nothing but selling these HP pots on the AH, I've made myself 5.5 million gold and I can now idly purchase Blue items for myself on the AH to help me level up more easily in the mid-ranks.

Izayoi or Arveene can tell you more about what the economy is like at endgame.

Izayoi

Banned
Rentahamster said:

Economy is fine, generally. There's no really money-out mechanic other than bandages and crystals. They're adding another one with cosmetics when the patch goes live, but other than that expect to be spending money on goods from other players, not gold sinks. That might sound bad at first, but the economy is very stable and and because generally the most sought-after items are either incredibly rare (health potions) or can break upon death (crystals), there's never a huge issue with item glut either. You'll make tons of money at cap, but you'll also be spending tons of money as well. Getting my crafted level 50 gear (and weapon) took about 25m gold, and getting all of that to +3 took another 10m or so. Outside of that I could always drop an additional 10m for the perfect crystal build, but I've decided to wait until after the patch as it will probably be easier to acquire the ones I need just from farming elites instead of being forced to buy them off of the AH.

Wait, so this huge-ass patch I'm downloading which is taking literally forever isn't the real patch yet? Sigh.

At least Bluehole has learned a thing or two from Blizzard about pre-releasing patches before the actual patch day so the patch servers don't get Fist-of-the-North-Starred on the day itself.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Wait, so this huge-ass patch I'm downloading which is taking literally forever isn't the real patch yet? Sigh.

At least Bluehole has learned a thing or two from Blizzard about pre-releasing patches before the actual patch day so the patch servers don't get Fist-of-the-North-Starred on the day itself.
Looks like they split the patch process into a multi-day affair.

I downloaded a couple gigs yesterday, and I'm getting a couple more today too.

it's definitely a better way to go than releasing all of it at once..

my guess is they decided to delay the patch rollout for a week until they get everyone partially downloaded before the final batch of cab files and the updater executable get downloaded.

Guess I'll be leaving my computer on for awhile then while it downloads patch data.

Bluehole needs to get with the times and make their patcher into a Bittorrent client, like the WoW patcher.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
The economy for the Koreans seems pretty reasonable. It's fairly straightforward to find things for sale on the AH and the prices seem okay for me, though later on items get much more expensive....

Izayoi said:
Economy is fine, generally. There's no really money-out mechanic other than bandages and crystals. They're adding another one with cosmetics when the patch goes live, but other than that expect to be spending money on goods from other players, not gold sinks...

Ah, I see, thanks again for the info. Thanks to Unknown for relating it in FF14 terms as well. The reason I'm wondering is because there are a lot of things Tera does right, and I find it interesting to compare and contrast (mostly contrast, lol) to all the things that Square Enix got wrong with Final Fantasy 14.

I was also thinking about certain staple MMO concepts like BoA and BoE work to regulate the economy, mostly because of the news that Diablo III is not going to have any BoE or BoA items at all. I was wondering how that kind of market would work and the lessons that Blizzard learned since Diablo II - since the ladders in Diablo II have to be reset about once a year since the entire economy goes to shit eventually (although that might have to do more with duping and botting than anything else).

Speaking of botting - have you noticed any botting or blatant RMT activity of any kind in Tera?

I would imagine that being a real time action combat game, it would be a lot harder to program a bot to kill monsters in Tera than it is for other, targeting-based games.

Izayoi

Banned
Rentahamster said:
I would imagine that being a real time action combat game, it would be a lot harder to program a bot to kill monsters in Tera than it is for other, targeting-based games.
There is some botting, but it's very easy to tell who is and who isn't, and then PK them.

It's definitely not as rampant here as it is in a lot of MMOs I've played.

Looks like the server is offline.. I get a message saying something about 08:00 and 10:00..

Guess it will be a couple hours before it's available.

Babalu.

haven't been able to play all week, the last few days i've wanted to play and had time but couldn't thanks to all the patches/maintenance...

and looks like theres another patch today thats going super slow =(

Izayoi

Banned
Babalu. said:
haven't been able to play all week, the last few days i've wanted to play and had time but couldn't thanks to all the patches/maintenance...

and looks like theres another patch today thats going super slow =(
Yeah, they split the patch into three large parts. The updated Invoker will be patched in on the 7th (6th for the Western world).

Babalu.

looks like a decent sized patch hit today. downloading it now. is this the big patch that they've been preparing for?

and does it affect anything for levels 1-20 which i'll be in for a long while?

Babalu.

does anyone know what all these egg things are for that i'm getting from quests and mobs?

I use them and they are like little gift things that are sometimes potions or othertimes stuff I cant read. One of them says GTX560 1GB which is a video card i think...

are they just junk to sell or is there a chance for something nice?

edit: and i just got a shirt that has like a white ? question mark on it and I can't equip it. Does anyone know what I have to do to use it since its a nice upgrade stat wise i think?

My time has expired too. I'm kind of annoyed that I didn't get any time extended considering that the last 2 weeks have been dominated by patching and nobody playing because everyone was waiting for the patch. I'm in wait-and-see mode now, when the patch finally drops, I'll think about buying another time card if people actually come back after the patch.

The patch did drop.

I haven't seen anybody yet, though Kaoru is already 51.. so he must have logged in at least once, theoretically.

Izayoi

Banned
There is just some hugely inconvinient timing this week.

3DS eShop goes live, E3, TERA patch, and I've got fucking finals.

I will return soon, but things need to settle down a bit first.

Arveene

Neo Member
Babalu. said:
does anyone know what all these egg things are for that i'm getting from quests and mobs?

I use them and they are like little gift things that are sometimes potions or othertimes stuff I cant read. One of them says GTX560 1GB which is a video card i think...

are they just junk to sell or is there a chance for something nice?

edit: and i just got a shirt that has like a white ? question mark on it and I can't equip it. Does anyone know what I have to do to use it since its a nice upgrade stat wise i think?

There's some event going on right now where you can win video cards and monitors. I'm not sure exactly how it works. The eggs for quest rewards you just open and get some random items. At the general goods vendor you can buy items that allow you to combine eggs into a higher quality one for better stuff. I got a green health crystal yesterday.

The armor with white question marks on them are sealed. You have no unseal them. I'm still trying to figure that one out. As far as I can tell, sealing allows you to "reroll" the stats on your armor again.

--------

As for E3 news, the political system was supposed to be shown at E3. That's all I know.

I've been around. I'd probably be level 52/53 by now, but I'm trying to figure out and translate some of the new systems, mechanics, items, etc.

Jackl

bigboss370 said:
soo is TERA at E3? any news of a north america release date!?

Nothing, no release date. No beta date.

I'm worried since that means theres no way they'll have it out by early fall. After that they've got Star Wars, Diablo, and many other contenders for Holiday season.

It's going to get buried IMO, or we're going to have to wait another 8 months to a year.

Feep

Banned
To be fair, TERA had a moderately sized booth at E3. I'm moderately excited for the game, so I went to check it out.

They told us a fair deal about the new "Political" systems, whereby players gain control of a territory through either PvP or popular election. But way cooler was that for press, two of the devs led three others (including myself) through a pretty standard raid. The two devs played tank and healer, directing us through voicechat...we were DPS, though I played Archer specifically.

I had a lot of fun, using the C-key hop-back to stay out of the dragon's range as it charged around the map. I was primarily assigned to take care of adds, so I only gained aggro once (we had a close-range DPS getting a shitton, though, he had to be revived at one point), and I didn't really know the differences between a lot of my special abilities, but it was still fun. (The rapid fire shot was quite enjoyable.)

I had a blast, anyway.

Arveene

Neo Member
My apologies if anyone has been on lately and needed to be run through something. My video card has been acting up lately and I'd rather not push it to death by running Tera. If anyone does need a run through, I'd be willing to do it. (Just PM me) I just won't be on randomly like I usually am.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've kind of stopped playing due to lack of other people..

Izayoi hasn't signed on in a while either it doesn't look like..

Izayoi

Banned
Robobandit said:
Izayoi hasn't signed on in a while either it doesn't look like..
No money, currently. As soon as I'm not dirt poor I'll be resubbing, but right now I can barely afford food so games are on the back burner at the moment.

Izayoi said:
No money, currently. As soon as I'm not dirt poor I'll be resubbing, but right now I can barely afford food so games are on the back burner at the moment.

guess that gaming rig was a little too nice :)

I guess I'll just take a break.. no real interest in soloing to 50 or beyond.

Izayoi

Banned
Robobandit said:
guess that gaming rig was a little too nice :)

I guess I'll just take a break.. no real interest in soloing to 50 or beyond.
Yeah, the PC annihilated any room I had in my budget, so I'm just scraping right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Izayoi said:
Yeah, the PC annihilated any room I had in my budget, so I'm just scraping right now.
But if you play Tera for just $10 a month you probably will skip at least 10 meals so you break even!

Hazaro said:
But if you play Tera for just $10 a month you probably will skip at least 10 meals so you break even!

Lulz...

Looks like the party is over, as everybody has now quit. :|

Guess we'll all see each other again in 6-8 months when NA/EU launches. You guys can add me as Steam friends too if you want.

Unknown Soldier said:
Looks like the party is over, as everybody has now quit. :|

Quit is such a dirty word..

If anyone else was currently able to play, I'm paid through august.. so I have no reason to quit yet..

Just not going to log in for a while until other people are available.

There is a thread on MMORPG.com that had be concerned about Tera. Some poster claims that TERA has fallen off the popularity polls in Korea due to lack of content and that it is now around the level of Lineage 2.

But the fast levelling speed might make it sound better for us westerners. Most gamers in the west don't seem to enjoy grind like koreas do(stereotyping thou).

considering that they just dropped a big content patch, I'd be surprised if they were complaining about that now.. but the leveling curve is gentle enough that most of them probably maxed out in a month and got bored.. waiting for the content patch.

Lineage II took forever to level.. so people probably didn't run out of content as fast..

Jackl

L2 also had player driven PvP which fed the small community life for years even during it's decline. I'm not 100% certain of Tera PvP, but I don't think it'll be as dynamic.

Tera lost alot of players of the spring when there wasn't much of any endgame at all. They just patched in some more, but I don't think we'll see NA/Euro releases until more endgame is established.

Playing with Foxer's guild atm to kill time.

Izayoi

Banned
Content isn't a huge problem, and people bitching about lack of endgame are the very small handful of people who could actually beat Akasha's Lair.

Hazaro said:
$20 a month. ;_;

I haven't quit, just on a break until I can get some cash reserves.

Insayne

After getting to 29 or 30 in TERA (Korean) I decided to quit. It was a lack of interest in the game in some way, and a wish for something to be "new" when it comes out in EU.

I plan on giving it a try once it is localized, the combat is fun. I dunno, maybe I just got fatigued of not understanding things :)

I wish you guys a lot of fun and thank everyone for the help I and Selavi have received from you guys. You are a good bunch and I had fun the couple of times we ran into one another. Special thanks to hobs for the support and help :)

zlatko

Banned
Sorry if this was discussed already, but now that E3 has come and gone, did they mention a time table for closed NA beta/open NA beta/release date?

This and Guild Wars 2 are still my hottest and most wanted MMOs.

wwm0nkey

zlatko said:
Sorry if this was discussed already, but now that E3 has come and gone, did they mention a time table for closed NA beta/open NA beta/release date?

Beta release and full game release sometime this year from what I was told at E3

Izayoi

Banned
zlatko said:

Nothing, which really sucks. All signs point to a delay, which might not be a bad idea.

Let people find out that TOR is a pile of shit and get their GW2 on for a little while before letting TERA step onto the scene.

Edit: So no change from their previous statements. No solid dates seem to indicate that things are still up in the air.

Top Bottom