• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Unknown Soldier said:
real edit: Nevermind, it's IP-locked. I don't have a VPN so forget that noise.
Read my post above - you don't need a VPN, a simple proxy set in IE is enough for creating account, launching the downloader and logging in.

Edit:
Also, remember to have the proxy on every time you run the client downloader in case you've decided to cancel it (you can retry w/o problems).
The downloader can be found here (in W7) - C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\Reactor.exe

Edit2:
The pre- Jopen beta character creation service is open to everyone.

Edit3:
So yeah, it's spring 2012 for TERA. Alpha later this year and beta/stress tests in early 2012.

Randy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29813980&postcount=9320

En Masse Entertainment has finally broken its silence about TERA's launch window, and there's both good and bad news for fans of the upcoming fantasy game. The bad news is that there's still no definitive launch date. The good news is that the time window has been narrowed considerably.

In a new press release issued this morning, En Masse says that TERA will release sometime in the spring of 2012. That should put to rest months of speculation as to whether the game would reach North American shores in 2011 (as well as whether it will be competing for launch customers with The Old Republic, which BioWare expects to release prior to the end of the year).

En Masse publishing vice president Chris Lee comments on the launch delay, indicating that the extra time will result in a more polished product. "The game's action combat and depth has generated a lot of interest, and we are committed to making sure every aspect of the game lives up to our standard of quality," he said.

Came to post this. Spring 2012. Ouch!! They better have all the expansions and everything ready by then.

Here is the producer letter from Chris Hager, posted on the official Tera Online website about the delay:

Producer Letter: Launch Timing Update

August 3, 2011

Hello TERA faithful! My name is Chris "Chager" Hager, and I'm the North American producer for TERA. I've got some exciting news to share today about what we've been up to this year so far, as well as what we'll be doing for the rest of 2011 and 2012.

TERA has had a busy 2011, and the year's barely half over! After successful showings at CES and GDC, we unveiled the game's political system at E3, where we received several awards and even more nominations.

The big news I'll be sharing today is our launch timing! That's right folks, we are ramping up for a spring 2012 launch date. Our focus has always been on launching TERA when it's ready, so you can take heart knowing that we feel we're getting close enough to announce our launch window. Let me explain, in further detail, what we'll be doing between now and spring 2012.

Later this year we will begin our alpha testing. For those who aren't yet familiar with this term, alpha testing is essentially small-scale testing with people outside the company, with the goal of collecting feedback on specific game features. An alpha test has the added benefit of allowing our internal teams to practice running a game in a "live" environment, so when the beta phase starts in early 2012, TERA will be operating like a well-oiled machine.

During our alpha, we'll test PvP server settings, overall progression, quest feedback, BAM (big-ass monster) fights, our brand new platform (account management), and a lot of other things that we'll talk about in greater detail later this year. In addition to testing new systems and Western features, we'll also fine-tune existing systems with our players in mind. Once all of these systems are in place, it's important to us that we get user feedback prior to our beta phase.

"Wait, did you say beta in early 2012?" Why yes, yes I did. Once we complete the alpha phase, we'll incorporate that feedback into the client, polish any new content, and then start beta testing early next year. Most of y'all are familiar with betas and how they work; for us, their main purpose is to expose greater numbers of players to TERA so they can experience the incredible action combat system, group up with some friends to take down a BAM or two, and in general enjoy a slice of TERA. We'll announce specific dates and times for our beta testing when we get a little closer, but the culmination of those beta events will be a launch for TERA in the spring of 2012!

So what does all of this mean for you? We'll be allowing a few select players to enter our alpha test later this year, and we'll open the door even wider in early 2012 with our beta testing. For details on both of these initiatives, as well as more about the features we'll be implementing and testing, stop by www.TERA-Online.com. As we've been discussing the details behind the alpha plan here at En Masse this past week, the excitement has grown palpable! We feel we're on the right path to deliver a truly epic game to our players and fans.

Thanks!
—Chage

Izayoi

Banned
Ouch. Well, I've finally got a steady job again so it's likely that I'll start playing again at some point. Need something to kill time with while I wait for BF3.

Considering the criticism is the lack of content, I think a delay is a good thing if they're using it to add more to the game. Got plenty of action MMO to enjoy while I wait.

I figured it was gonna get pushed back, but it still sucks.

Oh well, hopefully when it actually launches there will be tons of awesome stuff to do in response. Still trying to decide if I wanna play Warrior, "fast dual-sword wielding character" made me happy but "low DPS tank" made me sad.

Randy

Cow Mengde said:
Considering the criticism is the lack of content, I think a delay is a good thing if they're using it to add more to the game. Got plenty of action MMO to enjoy while I wait.

If you're talking about Vindictus and Dragon's Nest, then I officially hate you.

Not really, but sucks to be from Europe these days...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yea, I've got a character made already, マツキ on the シャラ (Shara) server.

I may hold off on seeing if anyone is experiencing any problems before downloading the client.

The servers open in about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Randy said:
If you're talking about Vindictus and Dragon's Nest, then I officially hate you.

Not really, but sucks to be from Europe these days...

Yes I am, and you forgot to mention Rusty Hearts.

zlatko

Banned
I'm okay with this. 2011 is packed to the brim with games and a MMO wouldn't have fit. Next year though is wide open, and spring/summer is the best time to get the most MMO play time for free.

Still wish the beta was this year though. :(

Cow Mengde said:
I heard this wasn't very good. Is it even out yet?

Not in the west. It's really cool though. I'm currently getting my 'action' fix from Champions Online though. I'll probably move on to PSO2 before Tera though.

The game looks amazing. I really love the race variety. My main concern right now is if this game is going to turn out to be another korean grindfest like most of their mmos are. Can anyone give me some overall info on the gameplay?

Cow Mengde said:
I heard this wasn't very good. Is it even out yet?

I played Continent of the Ninth (C9) at its first Korean Beta. The game was amazing. It was the first true next-gen MMORPG with an action-based combat system. The only drawback is that it's not a 100% MMORPG, it's an instanced MMO game. You see the other players in the towns, you form a party and you do missions/quests/instances. However other players can reach you inside the instances and PVP you.

For a few more screens see here: http://resetzero.com/gr/previews/c9.html, I took 'em during the first Korean beta phase two years ago in August 2009:

2009_08_22%2003_34_29.JPG

2009_08_22%2003_56_33.JPG

bullet_happy said:
I played Continent of the Ninth (C9) at its first Korean Beta. The game was amazing. It was the first true next-gen MMORPG with an action-based combat system. The only drawback is that it's not a 100% MMORPG, it's an instanced MMO game. You see the other players in the towns, you form a party and you do missions/quests/instances. However other players can reach you inside the instances and PVP you.

For a few more screens see here: http://resetzero.com/gr/previews/c9.html, I took 'em during the first Korean beta phase two years ago in August 2009:

How are the controls for this game? Are special moves done with hot keys, or is it done with skills? Like Vindictus, most special moves are done with skills and even timing with very little in the way of hot keys and cool downs. Some really powerful spells do have cool down, but they are the minority.

WASD - character control
Mouse - camera control
Left-click - attack
Right Click - special attack
1-9 - Physical atack/defence skills for melee, ranged-attack skills for rangers or magic-attack/defence skills for casters

You are doing quests/missions by entering gates. You are getting the quests from NPCs in the towns. Every quest has a difficulty level with different enemies, so you can do the same quests for more EXP points and items rewards but probably you will need a team/party.

Character control was smooth enough and the combat system was so refreshing and new. Having spent so many years playing old-fashioned Korean and Japanese MMORPGs like FFXI, Lineage II etc., C9 was a breath of fresh air for me and I truly enjoyed it.

In C9 you have to think. You are not just selecting an enemy and press random skills here and there, watch a few animation bits and collect the loot, you have to position your character right to attack and defend yourself. You can achieve more damage points if you continue to hit enemies without a pause, it's like a chain-combo system, similar to the traditional-2D shooting Japanese DoDonPachi games. You get a rank after each mission according to the clearance time, your combo/chains number and other factors such a treasure hunting percentage bonus etc.

The only real problem for me was the lag input, I couldn't enjoy the PVP against the Koreans players.

Izayoi

Banned
Projectjustice said:
The game looks amazing. I really love the race variety. My main concern right now is if this game is going to turn out to be another korean grindfest like most of their mmos are. Can anyone give me some overall info on the gameplay?
Read back a few pages. There are tons of gameplay impressions/reviews.

Think if it like a combination between Vindictus and Monster Hunter.

Also, as someone who hit level cap, it is not grindy. At all. This is from a guy who quit Aion at level 42 because of the grind.

Einbroch said:
That single decision may sway me to SWTOR and make me ignore TERA entirely.
What decision?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Izayoi said:
What decision?
To postpone the English release I guess.

As for the Japanese beta, it sure is fun, I'm 21 already, about to go to the first real instance (秘密の基地), since 闇の羽 was a joke.
Ping seems to be low and I was even able to win one pvp match versus an archer.
The weird thing is I died only once and it was because I had to open the door to my apartment and was in the middle of a fight with a pretty strong quest mob.
The experience feels a bit too "streamlined" if you know what I mean. You go from one quest hub to another through a pipe with mountains on both sides. Maybe it will get more interesting later on, I really hope so.
The overall feeling I'm getting is "whoa, this plays like Aion but with fun combat and less grind!". Not really a "next gen MMO" in my opinion.

The answer to the "how to play" question:
You have to switch your OS language to Japanese (regional settings in W7 Ultimate/Vistalizator on lower versions, like Pro) and use a proxy/VPN (be prepared to enter some hiragana captcha).

Here you can find my screenshot album from the beta, too bad imgur raped the quality. And yeah, I know that my character looks... Bad. Guess I won't roll a high elf anymore.
Btw., I'm on シャラ server in a random Japanese guild.

Edit:
First instance + Basilisk hunt.

Thanks for these new photos. Game looks amazing. Aion was a joke, it was fun for its first 30-35 levels then it was horrible, repetitive and dull. Also, you cannot compare Aion with Tera, graphically. I don't know about the combat, grind and stuff because I haven't played Tera yet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
bullet_happy said:
Thanks for these new photos. Game looks amazing. Aion was a joke, it was fun for its first 30-35 levels then it was horrible, repetitive and dull. Also, you cannot compare Aion with Tera, graphically. I don't know about the combat, grind and stuff because I haven't played Tera yet.
To be honest, you can. While TERA graphics are much better than Aion's, the well known and loved/hated Korean MMO aesthetics is there as well. They just give of a very similar vibe, at least in my opinion.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is it fun without parties and other stuff like that? I haven't played a single MMO except EVE.

Izayoi

Banned
subversus said:
Is it fun without parties and other stuff like that? I haven't played a single MMO except EVE.
Yes. I solo'd a lot as I got closer to 50 and it was still a blast, especially while soloing elites. That shit is intense.

Keiician said:
To be honest, you can. While TERA graphics are much better than Aion's, the well known and loved/hated Korean MMO aesthetics is there as well. They just give of a very similar vibe, at least in my opinion.

Speaking of game mechanics, end-game content and overall MMO feeling I am not expecting something mind-blowing either as we are talking about the same game developers who created the Lineage saga games. However, Tera is a big improvement to Aion, visually and combat-system-wise. Aion was so mediocre after 35th level. And we all know that "flying" is not a feature that makes a MMO interesting. I couldn't stand it for more than 2 months, because of the lack of interesting end-game content.

Izayoi said:
The combat is awesome and there is no grind.

I would like to know after reaching 50th level, how's the end-game content? Do you PVP for points to spend for items/weapons/armor upgrades? Do you PVP to control areas and instances for farming/loot/clan/guild reasons?

TGMIII

Hey guys, I've been trying to get the JP OB working and I've hit a wall.

Keep getting "HanAuthInitGameString failed with -17" when trying to launch the game. I've got a proxy turned on and I've changed my system language to Japanese via Vistalizator but I'm still getting no where. Can anyone help me out with this?

EDIT:
Never mind got it resolved.

Izayoi

Banned
bullet_happy said:
I would like to know after reaching 50th level, how's the end-game content? Do you PVP for points to spend for items/weapons/armor upgrades? Do you PVP to control areas and instances for farming/loot/clan/guild reasons?
Well, the level cap has been raised to 58 since I stopped playing. At level 50 however, there was less than an ideal amount of stuff to do (three dungeons, four battlegrounds, and world PvP), but I know that has been changed with the patch (something like eight end-game dungeons now, eight battlegrounds, server vs. server). Controlling areas is very beneficial to guilds because you get taxes and can control NPCs in the area.

Izayoi said:
Well, the level cap has been raised to 58 since I stopped playing. At level 50 however, there was less than an ideal amount of stuff to do (three dungeons, four battlegrounds, and world PvP), but I know that has been changed with the patch (something like eight end-game dungeons now, eight battlegrounds, server vs. server). Controlling areas is very beneficial to guilds because you get taxes and can control NPCs in the area.

I see, it's like Lineage II. When you control the areas you also get taxes from the town's NPCs of the area you are controlling. Have you tried the Japanese beta? I would like to try it because I miss the chance to join the Korean Open Beta and I don't feel like paying for it. Is the JP OB f2p?

Edit: NVM, yes it's free. Thanks to Keiician's informative posts earlier.

EDarkness

I'm kinda sorry I missed all the action when the open beta was going on, but alas. Anyone playing this game now? I started up a character on the Japanese servers a few days ago and have gotten my Slayer to level 15. The game is fun so far, but there are so many things I don't know yet. All in good time, I suppose.

Randy

Interesting information:

Introducing "chronoscrolls"

Chronoscrolls are an in-game item we’re using to fight gold farming, game account theft, phishing, chat spam, and other criminal behaviors in order to create a better gameplay environment for TERA. Players can trade their excess gold for chronoscrolls and redeem those chronoscrolls to play TERA for free. Other players can buy chronoscrolls and sell them in the game as a way to earn more gold. Both groups of players get what they want, without having to interact with cyber-criminals. By creating a legal market where players trade game gold for game time, we can reduce demand for the illegal trading of game gold for real money, and thereby reduce criminal enterprises. That might be more like a twenty second answer, but I think it hits the key points. Of course, you probably have a lot more questions now!

Source

And a "new" trailer:

YouTube

Einbroch

Banned
Randy said:
Interesting information:

Introducing "chronoscrolls"

Source

And a "new" trailer:

YouTube

Uh, wouldn't that make gold buying MORE prevalent?

Someone's selling X amount of gold for Y amount. It takes X amount of gold to buy a month of game time. If Y is cheaper than the monthly fee then wouldn't people constantly buy gold?

This seems completely backwards to me.

Izayoi

Banned
Einbroch said:
Uh, wouldn't that make gold buying MORE prevalent?

Someone's selling X amount of gold for Y amount. It takes X amount of gold to buy a month of game time. If Y is cheaper than the monthly fee then wouldn't people constantly buy gold?

This seems completely backwards to me.
The price of gold would go up and out-price monthly subs.

Supply and demand.

Xiaoki

No mention of Kings. I wonder if that's an indication that the NA client will only be launching with the first expansion.

If Tera doesnt launch with the level 60 update then it will die in NA as fast as it did in Korea.

I can understand that En Masse wants to have Tera out before Guild Wars 2 but a bad launch is almost a guaranteed death sentence.

Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread so I just searched 'Lineage'...

PvP is event based. There is only one faction in the game.

FUCK.

So close. Is this still true?

Will there ever be another MMO with playermade factions instead of forced ones and world pvp? From the little I know of TERA it seems like it is pretty close to L2, but without world pvp it is worthless.

Zeal

Banned
I played a focus test for this game over TWO YEARS ago and it is still not in US alpha or beta. I have waited so long that I've given up hope for the release.

What's more depressing is that it is easily the most impressive next-gen MMO I have played out of all of them.

If it ever decides to come out, and EnMasse stops filling its website with bullshit filler and irrelevant contests, and BANNING users from the forum for asking legitimate questions (i.e., Can we get a release date?) -- then I will consider anticipating it again.

But based on everything I've seen, its US publisher, EnMasse Entertainment, is practically incompetent on making anything happen here, all the while the Korean version has been out over a year now.

EDIT: If I sound kinda of butt hurt, it's because I was actually one of the users banned from their forums for asking the legitimate question as to what's going on with the release, lack of information, and delay. I was hit with a perma-ban, with the excuse of "attacking employees of EnMasse", which is hilariously fucked up and stupid, almost comical really. I just do not like the way this game has been handled by these guys and their behavior has always been snobbish, shady and rude.

Izayoi

Banned
FUCK.

So close. Is this still true?

Will there ever be another MMO with playermade factions instead of forced ones and world pvp? From the little I know of TERA it seems like it is pretty close to L2, but without world pvp it is worthless.
That post was right when I started playing the game, in the beginning instance IIRC.

There is open world PvP. Read some of my later posts. Players create guilds who vie for control over different areas. PvP is controlled by the guild who controls the area. It's a very in-depth system.

Top Bottom