• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

CaLe

Robobandit said:
Got in game.. thanks for the invite.

Here are a couple of screenshots -

click for full-size

Looks really good... How I wish it was in English.

How easy was it to add gametime Robo ?

It's not too hard. just have to be able to follow the guide on the site you buy the game-time from.

Naturally, it would be easier if you could read Korean, but the instructions are good.

CaLe

Robobandit said:
It's not too hard. just have to be able to follow the guide on the site you buy the game-time from.

Naturally, it would be easier if you could read Korean, but the instructions are good.

Sounds good, thanks.

I'm torn between 3 hours and 30 hours from the get-go...

Edit: Went ahead and got 30 hours, I'll see you all in-game :).

CaLe

Mister Wilhelm said:
Considering playing now but I don't think I want to have to do all the work all over again when the NA version comes out.

I don't know, the way I see it when the NA version comes out you can just start a new class that you never played.

Also, you'll get to see everything much earlier than others, so you won't be stuck in the newbie zones for as long.

I personally want to play because the game looks gorgeous and it's a fun way for me to relax a few hours each night, before going to sleep and starting yet another stressful day at work...

The world looks so peaceful / gorgeous and the combat very fun.

And for 30$, well... I just won't go to the theater this week.

Edit: The lady on the phone was either very stressed of talking to me, or just shy :p

Hobs

Neo Member
CaLe said:
Grats ! Remember to post some screens.

How big is the guild so far guys ?

There are a bunch of alts in the guild, but I think we have around 7-10 players now.

CaLe

Hobs said:
There are a bunch of alts in the guild, but I think we have around 7-10 players now.

Awesome.

Hopefully newcomers like me will be able to team-up with the rest of the guild, unless you guys are already maxed-out level-wise ;)

CaLe

Guys, I followed the guide on the 2nd post, but when I click on the "Download Client" link, all I get is a popup with a specs checker.

Anyone else unable to download ?

CaLe said:
Guys, I followed the guide on the 2nd post, but when I click on the "Download Client" link, all I get is a popup with a specs checker.

Anyone else unable to download ?

a hangame window should pop up too...did that for me..

what browser did u use to download the client? i used IE, i think the other browsers won't work

CaLe

bigboss370 said:
a hangame window should pop up too...did that for me..

what browser did u use to download the client? i used IE, i think the other browsers won't work

I used Internet Explorer too.

Actually, the popup finally appeared after what seemed like 10 minutes of waiting... Wow.

Can we install the game on any driver other than C: ? I remember Izayoi mentioning that the Hangame directory has to be on C:, but I'm not sure why.

Izayoi

Banned
We've got nine members total right now.

Remember, if anyone wants Vent info, let me know on here or in-game and I'll PM it to you.

CaLe said:
I used Internet Explorer too.

Actually, the popup finally appeared after what seemed like 10 minutes of waiting... Wow.

Can we install the game on any driver other than C: ? I remember Izayoi mentioning that the Hangame directory has to be on C:, but I'm not sure why.

I installed on D: .. it works fine for me.

There's a button on the right-hand side that lets you pick an alternate directory.

CaLe

Robobandit said:
I installed on D: .. it works fine for me.

There's a button on the right-hand side that lets you pick an alternate directory.

Yep found it, thanks.

Any way to check the download speed? (Other than manually calculating it :))

Edit: I take it it's the orange number next to the client's size. 100 KB/s... damn !

CaLe said:
Yep found it, thanks.

Any way to check the download speed? (Other than manually calculating it :))

Edit: I take it it's the orange number next to the client's size. 100 KB/s... damn !

i dont think its the orange number...mine showed 8 hundred something at one point and my download speed is definitely not that high..

CaLe

fizzelopeguss said:
Woohoo, elf tits.

You ask, I deliver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwpLtiP23w&feature=related

bigboss370 said:
i dont think its the orange number...mine showed 8 hundred something at one point and my download speed is definitely not that high..

Yeah just saw that happen... I guess there's no way of figuring out the exact speed.

Edit: Nice ! Finally became a member :) - I guess I hit the 300 posts at some point.

CaLe said:
I don't know, the way I see it when the NA version comes out you can just start a new class that you never played.

Also, you'll get to see everything much earlier than others, so you won't be stuck in the newbie zones for as long.

I personally want to play because the game looks gorgeous and it's a fun way for me to relax a few hours each night, before going to sleep and starting yet another stressful day at work...

The world looks so peaceful / gorgeous and the combat very fun.

And for 30$, well... I just won't go to the theater this week.

Edit: The lady on the phone was either very stressed of talking to me, or just shy :p

There's logic here. I'll consider it a bit more.

Izayoi

Banned
Hey Cale, if that's too slow you could try the beta client download.

The patch process will be a little longer but your overall download time should be lower.

Also, world bosses are hard.

Especially when you're trying to duo them and you're two levels too low and don't have a priest. :(

Randy

Needs more screenshots! I'll wait for the English release, but it sure is nice to follow the experience of you guys.

Hobs

Neo Member
More Basics

When you press ESC, you get this screen
mmOPr.jpg

Press Channel
XB5zN.jpg

Press Logout
jXCYY.jpg

Friends
NsmVs.jpg

Bank/Post Office
QMnwL.jpg

Bank Screen
51yxU.jpg

Post Office Screen
NQBoo.jpg

Hobs

Neo Member
6FPm6.jpg

Extra notes:
- Two types of crafting runes, one for armor, one for weapons.
- Once you rest to 120%(?) vitality you can use resting charms for bonuses
- Chest can double your resource count or destroy it?

Izayoi

Banned
So busy playing that I forgot to take screenshots. I've got school all day tomorrow unfortunately but if I'll try to get some tomorrow night.

Izayoi

Banned
Also, new players, be sure to read the second post of the thread. It has some helpful info. I'll update it tomorrow night with some of the most recent information.

I won't be on most of tomorrow so send Innovindil (or if he is not on, Sobos) a whisper for a guild invite.

See you guys later.

Guys, there is a torrent of the Korean beta client. I'm on it now pulling 1.5MB/s (megaBYTES/s, which is actually my bandwidth cap) from it. ETA is 4 hours for this ridiculous 22GB download. If you don't want to download very slowly from the Republic of South Korea or pay for some file-hosting site, hit the torrent.

You've got a PM, Izayoi.

edit: As with China Aion, someone has made an unofficial English patch for TERA Online. You can get it here: http://download.mmosite.com/html/3/4230/

edit2: Oh God, this game uses GameGuard. That garbage made my life in China Aion a pain in the ASS. /wrists

Unknown Soldier said:
Guys, there is a torrent of the Korean beta client. I'm on it now pulling 1.5MB/s (megaBYTES/s, which is actually my bandwidth cap) from it. ETA is 4 hours for this ridiculous 22GB download. If you don't want to download very slowly from the Republic of South Korea or pay for some file-hosting site, hit the torrent.

You've got a PM, Izayoi.

edit: As with China Aion, someone has made an unofficial English patch for TERA Online. You can get it here: http://download.mmosite.com/html/3/4230/

edit2: Oh God, this game uses GameGuard. That garbage made my life in China Aion a pain in the ASS. /wrists

GG was a bitch for me in CN Aion because it didn't properly support win 7 x64. Thankfully here it hasn't been a problem.

Insayne

Hello again!

I found the login procedure tedious, so I wrote a little program to do it for me :)
And in the spirit of sharing, you can grab it here.
More info can be read here.
Source is available on request.

Anyhow, I enjoy the game very much! \m/

CaLe

Insayne said:
Hello again!

I found the login procedure tedious, so I wrote a little program to do it for me :)
And in the spirit of sharing, you can grab it here.
More info can be read here.
Source is available on request.

Anyhow, I enjoy the game very much! \m/

Thanks man ! Much appreciated.

And thanks everyone for all the great posts :)

Can't wait to get back home from work !

First day impressions:

The character creation is robust but has some mildly disappointing limitations. Face types come with up to four eye types and the colors of the eyes are locked and can't be changed. Also, certain races that I played around with in creation like the Castanic and Elin have their hairstyle locked to their 'adornments'. This means things like ears and tail and horn type are tied to your hairstyle. For example, if you want the long curly hair with bangs you are stuck with the fluffy bunny ears. In addition, body type is completely locked so you can not make your character any thinner, fatter, muscular, taller, or shorter. Trust me when I say that I am not bashing the creation, just nitpicking here. There are alot of faces, hairstyles, hair colors, skin colors, features, and presets to choose from. In addtion, there are sliders for detailed adjustments of most features including eyes, nose, mouth, and face (sorry, no boob slider). Overall, there is a good level of customization which I found to be much better than Rift and FFXIV.

The game is a blast and I'm very impressed with the combat, world, and design. The entire game just feels so fresh and exciting compared to other MMOs. The interface is intuitive enough that you can figure most of it out without being able to read the text. Having GAF guild at your disposal to share tips and help is great also!

Mouse and keyboard control is excellent and much better than expected for an MMO with action oriented gameplay. I had my PS3 controller connected and without any configuration at all it works as good as the setup in FFXIV right out of the box:

Left Analog: Movement
Right Analog: Camera and cursor control in menus/interactions
R2: Attack
Square: Menu
Triangle: Action/Interact
X: Jump
Start: Menu

* Sorry, forgot what the others were at the moment...

Ultimately, as good as a gamepad works, I found myself preferring the mouse and keyboard. You can left-click and hold to continuously attack and assign dodge (or another action) to the right click. Auto-run on the side button is also handy. With movement on WASD you have quick access to all of your other abilities at the number and F-keys, "F" for action, various menu shortcut keys (i for inv, l for quest log, m for map, etc.) and Spacebar for jump. There is an in-game configuration where all of this can be customized.

I really liked how it auto sets your chat mode. For example, if you type /g and then space it will auto switch to guild chat mode. You can also manually change chat modes straight from the message box. The UI is very smooth.

I managed to get to level 6 yesterday. The majority of my progress was achieved through quests which offer decent rewards and experience points. The pacing feels perfect so far but we'll see what happens in the later levels. I wish I could keep my character and change or try out other classes so it makes me sad when I think about hitting cap. I hope there will be enough content and expansions to keep me busy but on the bright side it seems like you are allowed unlimited character creation to try other roles.

Mister Wilhelm said:
Considering playing now but I don't think I want to have to do all the work all over again when the NA version comes out.

The NA release seems so far away. En masse mentioned that around 2 months after the Community Event they would begin having beta tests. I think this will probably last at least a month or more so with that said I'm guessing around August or September at the earliest. I am having such a good time that I know I will not mind replaying. It will be like experiencing it all over again for the first time since I will be able to enjoy the lore and questing and better understand the mechanics.

Izayoi said:
So busy playing that I forgot to take screenshots. I've got school all day tomorrow unfortunately but if I'll try to get some tomorrow night.

I took several but for some reason FRAPS quit working and there were only four screenshots from the char. creation in my directory. I may need to change my shortcut key for screenshots since it currently uses the ALT key. Anyone have any video requests?

Unknown Soldier said:
Fuck you guys, don't make me buy this shit. I remember playing China Aion and the lag was horrendous.

Do it! I play side-by-side with my waifu and the game is virtually lag free. When we play FFXIV, it would sometimes take several seconds for movements on her screen to register or match what I saw on my screen. Then again we haven't reached a zone with many players yet. I think having the separate channels helps. I'm on the East coast by the way, if that makes any difference. En Masse already announced that NA/EU release will have NA/EU server locations so that is even better.

I'm not going to be able to play much until Friday but I am going to immerse myself in the game this weekend. Believe.

EDIT: Updated to comment on (no) lag.

alright i'm finally back to my own house, i'll probably get in the game either later today or tomorrow. probably tomorrow, my download is only at 19%

Buzzati

Banned
Excuse my noob question, but how does one go about signing up via a Korean SSN with non-Korean billing details? Does one buy gamecards via an external site or do they simply allow people with US addresses to sign up as long as they verify with a Korean SSN?

Amazing looking game, though.

LowParry

Unknown Soldier said:
Fuck you guys, don't make me buy this shit. I remember playing China Aion and the lag was horrendous.

You're playing FFXIV. This game screams for you to play. lol

wwm0nkey

Holy shit, guys play this with a 360 controller, sooooo good. No config is need just plug in and play.

EDIT: Oh also looks as if PS3 controls work too :lol

sucks this game isnt coming to consoles since thats the only way my main group of friends would play it :/

Zeal

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Holy shit, guys play this with a 360 controller, sooooo good. No config is need just plug in and play.

i agree, game is a blast with controller, man. i have been playing Korean retail, but i'm really tired of the language barrier, and translation patches are finicky and cumbersome at best. definitely waiting for US retail now and taking a small break from the game.

love this MMO so much.

zlatko

Banned
bigboss370 said:
by buying verified korean accounts

denzellaughing2.png

You know you love the Denzel. ;)

Ah, okay. I'm guessing that involves shady business with peoples social security #'s lol. <_< I'll wait till english beta.

wwm0nkey

Insayne said:
For those with 360 controllers, could you tell us the button mapping a bit?
LT is left click, X is Right click, A is jump/dodge and Y is to pick up items.

Works pretty damn well and kind of makes me hope there will eventually be a 360/PS3 port of this since both consoles desperately need a MMO and a action MMO would be great for consoles.

Top Bottom