• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA Online

Izayoi

Banned
Buzzati said:
Excuse my noob question, but how does one go about signing up via a Korean SSN with non-Korean billing details? Does one buy gamecards via an external site or do they simply allow people with US addresses to sign up as long as they verify with a Korean SSN?

Amazing looking game, though.
You have to buy an account that has been verified with a Korean SSN. You don't enter billing details, because non-Korean addresses are not accepted. Instead you just apply gamecards purchased via third party.

School is fucking mind-numbing. I want to go home and play.

Seven more hours. Fuck.

By the way, I saw it mentioned earlier but do know that if you choose to hold down your basic attack button you will perform actions far more slowly than usual, depending on the class. For classes like the Berserker, where there's a huge penalty for whiffing swings, it also puts you at a disadvantage by making it much more difficult to interrupt combos and realign yourself with enemies.

It might seem good starting out, but later on it's going to be important to train yourself on using clicks, especially when you're dealing with bosses, where a single mistake can be fatal.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Had major fun yesterday learning the ropes. Slayer is beast mode, but my Aman armor types have a little too much exposed exoskelatal alien ass for my taste. Won't be able to play today at all either :(

Izayoi

Banned
Some thoughts on the game so far. Hit level 21 last night, and that's after two days of decent playing.

The leveling curve is very, very smooth. No grind so far and we've skipped nearly twenty quests, I think. Not only that, but there are dozens of repeatables that give good EXP and nice rewards for those who are inclined to grind, as opposed to just straight questing.

Tonight we may be able to get our mounts, depending on how difficult these story instances are. The game progressively seems to branch out, the further and further you get into it. Starts fairly constrained in the starting area but then it explodes. The third region in the second leveling zone is HUGE and really, really pretty. I liked it a lot. The fourth region was smaller but very open and it looked like it was ripped straight from a fantasy book. Every time you get to a new area you have to stop and appreciate just how gorgeous the game is.

Just fucking incredible so far. Can't wait to play more.

wwm0nkey

Still love playing this with my 360 pad :D

need help getting to the first boss though as I can not understand the quest.

Izayoi

Banned
orangecaramel said:
Anyone know if this works?

I've got it downloaded and it says there's a possibility of being banned... is this true?
Apparently it was attempted and all it did was crash the client. If it works for you, great. Chances are you probably won't be banned if you do get it to work, as people used it in the open beta just fine. There have been some pretty big patches since then so that might be the reason for the crashes. Apparently 2.1 is the stable version, so try that first.

wwm0nkey said:
Still love playing this with my 360 pad :D

need help getting to the first boss though as I can not understand the quest.
You have the five man quest? You need to go to that big gate thing down in the lower area and talk to the obelisk. If you're talking about why your quest isn't completing, it's probably the NPC out-damaging you in the boss fight and ganking your kill.

CaLe

Is it really important to connect to the VPN ?

I can't seem to connect to it, and I really wonder if I'll get banned...

Buzzati

Banned
Izayoi said:
You have to buy an account that has been verified with a Korean SSN. You don't enter billing details, because non-Korean addresses are not accepted. Instead you just apply gamecards purchased via third party.

School is fucking mind-numbing. I want to go home and play.

Seven more hours. Fuck.

By the way, I saw it mentioned earlier but do know that if you choose to hold down your basic attack button you will perform actions far more slowly than usual, depending on the class. For classes like the Berserker, where there's a huge penalty for whiffing swings, it also puts you at a disadvantage by making it much more difficult to interrupt combos and realign yourself with enemies.

It might seem good starting out, but later on it's going to be important to train yourself on using clicks, especially when you're dealing with bosses, where a single mistake can be fatal.

Ah, I see how it works now. Thanks.

Izayoi

Banned
CaLe said:
Is it really important to connect to the VPN ?

I can't seem to connect to it, and I really wonder if I'll get banned...
You won't be. People have been playing the retail game just fine without VPNs for a while now and nobody has had any problems with getting banned for it.

I would still recommend not speaking English in public channels (general say chat, region chat, etc.) but even then you probably would not get banned.

It's a different case with betas, because those you aren't paying for and it's hard for somebody who doesn't speak the language to provide constructive feedback and help bug squash.

In the retail game they could not care less as long as you don't act up.

CaLe

Izayoi said:
You won't be. People have been playing the retail game just fine without VPNs for a while now and nobody has had any problems with getting banned for it.

I would still recommend not speaking English in public channels (general say chat, region chat, etc.) but even then you probably would not get banned.

It's a different case with betas, because those you aren't paying for and it's hard for somebody who doesn't speak the language to provide constructive feedback and help bug squash.

In the retail game they could not care less as long as you don't act up.

Awesome, thanks Izayoi :)

One small problem... I couldn't find the server in the server list. Was the one you posted for the Beta ?

Izayoi

Banned
CaLe said:
Awesome, thanks Izayoi :)

One small problem... I couldn't find the server in the server list. Was the one you posted for the Beta ?
Nope. Just be very careful and double-check the Hangul. It should be one of the blue ones, but there's a chance that it isn't and it could be further down the list.

One hour. So close. ;_;

Will probably play a good bit tomorrow night.. got a gpu coming in that will let me connect to my 27" cinema display with my gaming PC..

something i dont understand, on the website u can buy a 30 hour timecard for $18 or 30 day timecard for $23...are both legit? and if so, why he small price difference in comparison to the huge play time diff?

bigboss370 said:
something i dont understand, on the website u can buy a 30 hour timecard for $18 or 30 day timecard for $23...are both legit? and if so, why he small price difference in comparison to the huge play time diff?

30 hours is 30 actual hours of gameplay, i think.

30 days is access to the game servers for 30 days, whether you use them or not. (like a US subscription)

So if you think you're going to play more than 30 hours in a month, the 30 day option is a better deal.

Lebron

Is anyone from the states playing? How's the lag?

edit: actually, I think this was already brought up and addressed. Don't mind me.

Robobandit said:
30 hours is 30 actual hours of gameplay, i think.

30 days is access to the game servers for 30 days, whether you use them or not. (like a US subscription)

So if you think you're going to play more than 30 hours in a month, the 30 day option is a better deal.

hmm well i do have exams this month :( ahh what the heck i'll go for the 30 day one. thanks for ur help.

Insayne

SeigO said:
So how do you learn skills? I'm only level 5, but I still just have my two starting skills.
The second campyou get to has an npc to do so. Also the town has a skill trainer.

Fail game client design is fail. The hanpurple game directory must be in your C:\ drive. I keep all my games on my D:\ drive because my C:\ drive is 2x 74GB WD Raptors in RAID0 and I don't have ~25GB of free HDD space laying around on it. Goddammit. I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy my game account yet, lol. I'll need to figure out how to fit the actual game on my C:\ drive before I can even try to play it.

Also the Client Download button launches an app which tries to detect your system specs. However this button doesn't seem to know what GTX 470 SLI is and it says I don't have a video card so I can't use the button. I guess it's a good thing I use the torrent for the OBT client but there isn't a TERA_Invoker.exe included with that hanpurple directory, I guess I'm supposed to use the IE web launcher to get this exe file.

I hope to hell whatever En Masse do with this game during localization, it doesn't depend on a shitty IE web launcher and require a fixed game directory location in C:\ or I'm not going to buy it.

edit: I'm using IE9, I wonder if the web crap that is required to run the game is compatible with IE9.

Insayne

Unknown Soldier said:
Fail game client design is fail. The hanpurple game directory must be in your C: drive. I keep all my games on my D: drive because my C: drive is 2x 74GB WD Raptors in RAID0 and I don't have ~25GB of free HDD space laying around on it. Goddammit. I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy my game account yet, lol. I'll need to figure out how to fit the actual game on my C: drive before I can even try to play it.

Also the Client Download button launches an app which tries to detect your system specs. However this button doesn't seem to know what GTX 470 SLI is and it says I don't have a video card so I can't use the button. I guess it's a good thing I use the torrent for the OBT client but there isn't a TERA_Invoker.exe included with that hanpurple directory, I guess I'm supposed to use the IE web launcher to get this exe f

I hope to hell whatever En Masse do with this game during localization, it doesn't depend on a shitty IE web launcher and require a fixed game directory location in C: or I'm not going to buy it.
I run the game from E:
The invoker comes with the client normally.
It also knew my gtx 570 :)

Odd to see it behave so bad for you. I can upload my invoker exe if you need it :)

Insayne said:
I run the game from E:
The invoker comes with the client normally.
It also knew my gtx 570 :)

Odd to see it behave so bad for you. I can upload my invoker exe if you need it :)

Actually, I have this same problem. The OBT folders don't come with a working tera_invoker.exe. Can you post this somewhere and PM us?

Insayne said:
http://www.insayne.net/tera

Let me know if it works for ya :)

Awesome! I downloaded it, socked it in the right place in D:\hanpurple, I launched it and it is now checking game files! I hope it will be able to patch the game without having logged in.

Does the game always have to be launched from inside IE? Or can I use the invoker from now on to launch it?

edit: OK, patching is in progress! This is almost as entertaining as running my old C-Aion client back in the day and trying to decipher what buttons are safe to click, lol.

Insayne

Unknown Soldier said:
Awesome! I downloaded it, socked it in the right place in D:\hanpurple, I launched it and it is now checking game files! I hope it will be able to patch the game without having logged in.

Does the game always have to be launched from inside IE? Or can I use the invoker from now on to launch it?

edit: OK, patching is in progress! This is almost as entertaining as running my old C-Aion client back in the day and trying to decipher what buttons are safe to click, lol.

You can (and I do) use the Invoker to launch the game instead of IE.
And yes, you can patch it (as you noticed, just confirming for readers) the client without logging in :)

Izayoi

Banned
Okay, protip:

If you change your password, save it somewhere. We don't know how to go through the password recovery process and it's causing some trouble.

Again, if you want Vent info, be sure to send me a PM or a message in game.

Im at 66% done downloading.

Such a large game.
Download rates are really sporadic for me.
I can get anywhere from 32kb-1mb/sec

Should be on tonight after school and work

Hobs

Neo Member
Izayoi said:
This game is very difficult without a Lancer.

It helps, but we did fine :)

V97qzl.jpg
rdvbil.jpg

1kDkYl.jpg
1EooKl.jpg

Coverly

Finally able to play yesterday. Izayoi I'll send you a pm ingame once I settle on a character.

First Impressions

- The Howto and links on the 2nd post of this thread were priceless.
- Still, there were some confusion on downloading the game / adding time, but nothing major.
- 360 controller works great. I wonder how it's going to work once you have too many skills.
- Playing as a panda is hilarious.
- Without knowing the language, the basic quests of 'go to this person' or 'kill x/x' is easy enough.
- still deciding on a class. Would like to go healer but don't want to be asked by random groups to join them if I do (would feel bad about not replying).
- Not using a vpn and the game is smooth.

I think I'm going to start over..

I missed a story quest in the beginning and I'm level 4 and don't appear to have any new skills...

Hobs

Neo Member
You need to learn skills from a trainer, it is part of a quest, should be in the 2nd or 3rd camp.

Hobs said:
You need to learn skills from a trainer, it is part of a quest, should be in the 2nd or 3rd camp.

Is it part of a story quest? maybe I just got turned around and missed it.

I think I'll just start over and do all of the story quests in an area before moving on.

Is anyone able to login right now? I got an update when I ran the launcher and now I'm getting a popup message after I try to login with a bunch of Korean characters and then 07:00-10:00. Maintenance maybe?

EDIT: Translates to: "Regular progress checks. 07:00 to 10:00 (approx 3 hours) to apologize for the inconvenience."

Guess so.

Hobs

Neo Member
Robobandit said:
Is it part of a story quest? maybe I just got turned around and missed it.

I think I'll just start over and do all of the story quests in an area before moving on.

I believe it is a side quest, if you need any help regarding quests you can always ask us while ingame. It helps to know which area you got it from too so we have a clue which quest it is.

Anyways, played for quite a bit last night with Izayoi and his friend, ran the 5 man instance with only the three of us. Took quite a bit of time but we made it through, being a healer is tough :)

When fighting the enemy bosses it is challenging to target allies to heal them since the bosses are so big they often block line of sight and heals need to be manually targeted (even tougher when some of the races are so small). I wish I knew how to make the health bars of group members bigger too, tough to keep track of the small bars on the side while getting pounded by the boss since any heals will immediately pull aggro unless you have a tank in the group.

I need more buttons on my mouse too :(

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Is anyone able to login right now? I got an update when I ran the launcher and now I'm getting a popup message after I try to login with a bunch of Korean characters and then 07:00-10:00. Maintenance maybe?

EDIT: Translates to: "Regular progress checks. 07:00 to 10:00 (approx 3 hours) to apologize for the inconvenience."

Guess so.

Looks very much like maintenance. I hope its done by 9 central when I get off work :D

Coverly

Robobandit said:
I don't know the name of the area.. I started as a human.. what races are you all playing?

I think you start out in the same area regardless of race. I've tried the panda/girl/human/elf and they all start out in the same location with the same quests.

The skills that you missed can be acquired by talking to the guy in the third camp you visit (if you count where you start as the first), he is under a tent and when you click to talk to him he has a green bar you can select and the skills will appear for cash.

On a different topic: What's the key to bring back the small transparent map on the screen. It was quite useful but I lost it.

Coverly said:
I think you start out in the same area regardless of race. I've tried the panda/girl/human/elf and they all start out in the same location with the same quests.

The skills that you missed can be acquired by talking to the guy in the third camp you visit (if you count where you start as the first), he is under a tent and when you click to talk to him he has a green bar you can select and the skills will appear for cash.

On a different topic: What's the key to bring back the small transparent map on the screen. It was quite useful but I lost it.

n

Top Bottom