• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda thought this game dragged along a bit at first. But once I found out that dynamite can break Ebonstone and I smashed a few shadow orbs things really picked up the pace.

Also, I think there's something seriously wrong with the way water flow is simulated. I broke through the bottom of a reasonably large water column and subsequently flooded over half of my underworld. I'm pretty sure I didn't start with that much water.

flooded.png

InertiaXr

I think I have reached the end of me playing this game. I have too many other things to play to deal with mining into Hell then sitting as long as I want fighting off fire imps that do not stop spawning and prohibit me from doing anything else. Good run though, $10 for 25-30 hours of fun.

InertiaXr

Yeah I have full shadow armor and nightmare pickaxe but I still have 5 or more imps on me at any given time and since I am underground there is openings everywhere where they teleport to and I don't have much fun chasing them around just to spawn again. Perhaps there is somewhere I should go besides Hell after I have killed Eater of Worlds couple times?

Played a couple hours and got lucky. I decided to continue deeper into my own mine and got a Hook from a skeleton as well as a Cloud in a Bottle. So now I have a Grappling Hook and can double jump... makes getting around and getting to those hard to reach minerals much easier. I got a gold pick-axe now and a watch as well, I was going to build a depth meter but it was either that or the pick-axe - just need a few more gold.

It was the first time in a while I actually was able to climb out of my own mine as well, I created a lot of shortcuts for climbing out with my grappling hook. Getting down takes about the same amount of time but now I can shoot out of there relatively quickly. I was wrong about being close to the underworld though, I think I may be now but damn... this world is deep.

sixghost

InertiaXr said:
Yeah I have full shadow armor and nightmare pickaxe but I still have 5 or more imps on me at any given time and since I am underground there is openings everywhere where they teleport to and I don't have much fun chasing them around just to spawn again. Perhaps there is somewhere I should go besides Hell after I have killed Eater of Worlds couple times?
More than 5 imps? I don't even think that's possible, I've never seen more than 2 on screen at once. And they do stop spawning as frequently if you kill them a few times.

As then guy said, just get them both on one side of you, or above you, then you can just mine away as the pickaxe blocks all their fireballs. Or just take out your bow/gun and deal with them. Also, if you think the Imps are a pain, wait until you get to the dungeon.

Atomski

InertiaXr said:
Have you gone to the dungeon or the jungle?

Twig

Banned
sixghost said:
More than 5 imps? I don't even think that's possible, I've never seen more than 2 on screen at once. And they do stop spawning as frequently if you kill them a few times.

As then guy said, just get them both on one side of you, or above you, then you can just mine away as the pickaxe blocks all their fireballs. Or just take out your bow/gun and deal with them. Also, if you think the Imps are a pain, wait until you get to the dungeon.
Every time I go down there, I get at least three AND a worm at the same time.

Atomski

I really have no problems in hell as long as I have plenty of health pots. Ive killed probably 30 worms and no sunfury drop. :(

InertiaXr

Atomski said:
Have you gone to the dungeon or the jungle?

Nope, neither dungeon or jungle yet. Should I? I have full shadow armor and nightmare pickaxe and nightmare bow. Is that enough for the underground jungle or to kill Skeletron?

Nessus

CrookedRain said:
That was the first accessory I found in a chest. It also marked the end of my drowning experiences.

Heh, I wasn't even sure there was an item for that. Good to know. I see other people have cloud in a bottle, etc. while I've gotten all the way down the lava areas and all I've found in chests so far are mirrors. I was also able to craft a grappling hook, but that's it.

Neki

InertiaXr said:
Nope, neither dungeon or jungle yet. Should I? I have full shadow armor and nightmare pickaxe and nightmare bow. Is that enough for the underground jungle or to kill Skeletron?
You should be able to kill Skeletron with just a demon bow + flaming arrows. The UJ is decently easy, it's just a matter of finding it. Hornets are annoying though.

Grinchy

Banned
charlemagne said:
Slimes are the bane of my life. Just leave me alone to build, dammit.
lol! I find that if you can get the ball o' hurt (i think thats the name) that slimes become very easy. I actively look for them now to farm their slime.

I found my underground jungle the other day but I still haven't gone in it yet. I have been playing so much TF2 and CSS that I forgot I owned this game.

Exuro

Been playing this with my brother for about 15-20 hours. We just finished up getting the hellstone or whatever it's called armor as well as getting a sunfury and muramasa. So does the dev list plans of what they want to do with the game? Really enjoyed what I've played but it feels like theres not a lot more to do right now.

MacGurcules said:
Also, I think there's something seriously wrong with the way water flow is simulated. I broke through the bottom of a reasonably large water column and subsequently flooded over half of my underworld. I'm pretty sure I didn't start with that much water
Yeah, I've had something similar happen to me once. Also had it the other way, where I started with a huge underground lake and drained it into some lava, and I ended up with about five obsidian blocks with a tiny puddle on top.

Exuro said:
So does the dev list plans of what they want to do with the game?
I don't think there's an official list, but from what I've gathered from their site/YouTube videos:
-more enemies and bosses
-more PvP options (stuff like capture the flag, I think)
-more decorative items
-possibly more "event" type things, like the blood moon
-I think additional biomes have been mentioned as well

vareon

Just played this all night, I think this is my favorite game in 2011 so far. I felt awesome when playing the game, like when I first played Sim City and Harvest Moon. I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of things you can do in the game--even having to google how to survive the first night--but quickly realized that there's so much content in the game that I have to try.

It also felt like playing Sim City/Harvest Moon in terms of "Okay, just one more day" "I"m just going to get this then go to sleep" and it's four hours later.

Truly awesome game and deserves all the sales. Many rooms for improvement (particularly the crafting UI for me) but they are improving the game that by the time I'm content with it, there might be something new implemented.

Gassey

Banned
Exuro said:
Been playing this with my brother for about 15-20 hours. We just finished up getting the hellstone or whatever it's called armor as well as getting a sunfury and muramasa. So does the dev list plans of what they want to do with the game? Really enjoyed what I've played but it feels like theres not a lot more to do right now.

http://steamaddicts.com/2011/05/terraria-mania/

This interview indicates that the developers aren't done with the game, and will continue to add content over time.

Atomski

charlemagne said:
Slimes are the bane of my life. Just leave me alone to build, dammit.
Once you attract enough npcs and have a nice structure they will just stop attacking. Even zombie have stopped showing up at my castle unless its a red moon.

Edit: I hope there is a way to zoom out in the future so I can take a proper picture of my castle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The 2D-block-based design makes it really easy to stitch screenshots together, if you want to give it a shot.

Atomski said:
Once you attract enough npcs and have a nice structure they will just stop attacking. Even zombie have stopped showing up at my castle unless its a red moon.

Edit: I hope there is a way to zoom out in the future so I can take a proper picture of my castle.
Hm makes sense. I haven't got any NPC's yet, mostly been walking around and exploring stuff.

Small world is pretty much done. Full molten armor and weapons. Killed the Eye, Giant Worm, and Skeletron. Where is the jungle in the other worlds? Past the hell area or is it just random?

sixghost

I keep hearing about them adding some PvP modes, but has anyone actually tried the PvP? I have to imagine that it just be a bunch of people flying around with rocket boots shooting the Phoenix blaster at people. Sounds incredibly gear focused, and kind of like a bad version of soldat.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
butter_stick said:
I've played about 30 hours and still feel helpless against bosses. Got gold armour and weapons, guess I need some magic weapons.
For the eye,
just use shurikens from the merchant.

150 should work.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This game looks awesome, I'd love to purchase it through Steam, but I freaking hate the fact that I am not able to have a credit card.

Dammit, Steam, when are you going to have gift cards :(.

Juan29.zapata said:
This game looks awesome, I'd love to purchase it through Steam, but I freaking hate the fact that I am not able to have a credit card.

Dammit, Steam, when are you going to have gift cards :(.
4 pack it and paypal the buyer

kevm3

I enjoyed the game a ton. I hope they put a more 'base defense' emphasis on the game. Make enemy raids more frequent with varied enemies and allow for traps and the such to help defend your base/npcs. I'd also like to see that you can have 'guards' or something of the such that help with defense and that attacks on your main base can happen while you are away.

Wanace

butter_stick said:
Thanks, I'll try that out.

Alternatively go to the jungle and kill hornets and collect roses and build the Thorn Chakrum, I easily brought down the eye with that thing.

Finally reached lava... took about 13 hours on the large map (granted, my first time and I obviously didn't just bore straight down for loots). I'm wearing a depth meter, mining helmet, healing ring, and crystal mirror now to which is amazingly helpful - I never knew that existed, though I'm still glad I made my mine easy to climb out of just for the hell of it.

My "castle" is extremely meager but it gets the job done. I was in the process of renovating the basement as you can see in the bottom left but breaking away all those dirt walls is slow. As you can see I have the Guide, Merchant, Nurse, and Explosives guy, I'm the one underneath the Merchant on the right side of the building.

OzMmu.png

More Images deeper into my mine:
http://houston3000.imgur.com/terraria#OzMmu

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
mclaren777 said:
I really wish this game would come out for the PS3 because that's the only way I see myself playing it.
It's written in XNA, so I'm not sure if that's possible without some heavy port work.

InertiaXr

Nirolak said:
It's written in XNA, so I'm not sure if that's possible without some heavy port work.

I also see it being difficult to port over how you pick what square you want to mine, as you don't necessarily have to do so right in front of you. Also probably issues mapping over 10 hotkeys without funky controller setups. Feels like a mouse/keyboard game to me.

ZZMitch

mclaren777 said:
I really wish this game would come out for the PS3 because that's the only way I see myself playing it.

Why? I mean this game will literally run on any working computer. Also it would be tough to play with a gamepad.

I'll post this here to save you guys/gals from having to visit the wanker-infested official forums.

Redigit said:
Progression has been pretty slow over the last week. I've actually been in the middle of moving. I put an offer on a house before the first trailer went public, and got the keys to it the day before Terraria was released. (Great timing, huh?)

I just finally got my workspace set up at the new place, so I should be able to get back to the grind early next week. But enough about that, let's talk about the future of Terraria.

My immediate focus for the game will be patching up the remaining bugs, implementing Steam features, and of course working on multiplayer to make it more secure and accessible. Multiplayer is a bit of a mess right now, and a dedicated server with no graphics card requirements is very much needed. Content progression will be slow for the next few weeks until we get all of the necessities taken care of. Though, we will be adding a few new things here and there to keep you interested.

In the long term, we will not just be adding content, but new mechanics as well. Some of the ideas the we have been playing around with are:
  • Pure PvP servers with team based objectives. Worlds will be generated before every match. Imagine a CTF server where towers are automatically created on either side of the map. Players can fight it out on the surface, or try to tunnel into the other tower.
  • Adding sloped/inclined tiles to make the world smoother.
  • New harder world types to continue game progression (Ex: Alien plants, alternate dimensions, evil worlds, etc.)
  • Enemy factions that will move into your world, and build their own city. You can slaughter them while they are weak, or let them build up their strength to get better rewards.
  • More events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, more/improved invasions, etc..
  • Weather: Seasons, snow, floods, etc..
  • Farming, and stamina system that gives a bonus to player stats.
  • Mechanics for making traps and devices.
Terraria has endless possibilities, and there is still a lot more that we want to do with it. In the meantime, please be patient while we get the last few kinks worked out.

mclaren777 said:
It would be a bitch to play with a gamepad. I suppose a PS3 version could support kb&m, but at that point why not just play it on PC?

InertiaXr

Concept17 said:
Anyone know how to run Terraria WS through steam so that it counts your hours and has an overlay?

Run the basic Terraria and then the widescreen fix. So you will have 2 Terraria games open, and of course just use the widescreen wrapper to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom