• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bison11

Finally plunked down the 10 spot for this game yesterday. So far its pretty awesome. I have a hard time staying alive though.... It just seems that there are a lot more monsters after me than the people in the videos I have watched.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have you built a full home with a couple rooms, tables, chairs, and torches? The spawn rate near your home decreases as you have more NPCs as well.

Bison11 said:
Finally plunked down the 10 spot for this game yesterday. So far its pretty awesome. I have a hard time staying alive though.... It just seems that there are a lot more monsters after me than the people in the videos I have watched.

Don't forget you are a builder as well as a digger. You can build shielding walls while digging that keep critters out.

trinest

Hawkian said:
Have you built a full home with a couple rooms, tables, chairs, and torches? The spawn rate near your home decreases as you have more NPCs as well.
So if I build furiture NPC's come?

I have a little scoungy little shack in the mountain side.

Retro

trinest said:
So if I build furiture NPC's come?

I have a little scoungy little shack in the mountain side.

In order to get NPCs to move in, you need a table, two chairs, lighting and a door. The structure you put all of this in needs both solid walls and 'background walls' (no leaving gaps for windows or they won't move in).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Grinchy said:
It's probably been brought up, but I hope they add "glass wall" as a craftable item.

Me too. My glass tower needs them!
37CA1D487ED6D324A226349C0591BACF279495A2

Fox1304

Anyone managed to make this run on a Macbook without bootcamp ? Tried CrossOver and VirtualBox with no luck so far.
The game is no my main PC, but I would love being able to play it on the go too :D

PatzCU

1. Buy Terraria
2. Fire it up to see what it's all about
3. ????
4. Look at clock
5. My god, what have I done?

This game is crack! The building elements aren't nearly as good as Minecraft, but the games are different enough that it's almost not fair to compare. Just think of randomly generated Metroidvania. I played with a buddy for like the last 5 hours and it was awesome. Haven't lost track of time like this since my first experience with an MMO (Everquest).

Dreavus

Shahadan said:
Not mine, but I find this castle most impressive.

I like the use of different bricks all across the castle. I might have to incorporate some of those ideas into my own endeavors.

Unfortunately, both my world and my friend's world (who hosts when we play multiplayer) have pink dungeon bricks, so it might take a few more world gens to see the other colours.

Neki

CrookedRain said:
You forgot Cobalt. I think I like Cobalt the best although I don't have Molten yet. Mana regen, reduced mana cost and faster attack speed is too hard to give up. I just crafted the Necro armor set last night. It's nice moving around faster, but it makes me miss the bonuses from Cobalt that are especially useful if you have rocket boots.

Edit:
I gotta say, after finding most of the accessories, it's really hard to decide which ones to carry around. I think last night I was running around with rocket boots, shiny red balloon, health regen ring, mana regen ring and either hermes' boots or the feral claws.

Personally I run Cloud in a Bottle, Lucky Horseshoe, Shiny Red Balloon, Hermes Shoes and Cobalt Shield / (Obsidian Skull when mining in Hell/Meteorite)

I think the best accessories utility wise would have be Lucky Horseshoe / Shiny Red Balloon and Hermes Shoes. Hermes Shoes makes travelling so much more bearable (especially with manmade highways), Lucky Horseshoe just lets you wrecklessly jump everywhere (lol) and I vastly prefer Shiny Red Balloon over Cloud in a Bottle for general usage.

The best accessories for fighting would have to be Cobalt Shield, Cloud in a Bottle and maybe Feral Claws. Cobalt Shield will save you from being raped in hell because you don't get bounced around, and against bosses, and Cloud in a Bottle allows you two directional movement in the air, which is vital against huge bosses and most enemies in general.

I haven't actually got rocket boots or feral claws, but I would imagine Rocket Boots would top both lists because it's imba. :p

Shahadan

Dreavus said:
I like the use of different bricks all across the castle. I might have to incorporate some of those ideas into my own endeavors.

Unfortunately, both my world and my friend's world (who hosts when we play multiplayer) have pink dungeon bricks, so it might take a few more world gens to see the other colours.

you know that you can craft all those bricks right?

ScRYeD

Shahadan said:
you know that you can craft all those bricks right?

You can't make the dungeon specific colored blocks like green, pink and that purple.
You can make copper, silver, gold and obsidian. Might of missed one or two colors.

Shahadan

ScRYeD said:
You can't make the dungeon specific colored blocks like green, pink and that purple.
You can make copper, silver, gold and obsidian. Might of missed one or two colors.

I was refering to those besides pink, I actually thought green blocks were jungle related. My bad.

Shahadan said:
Not mine, but I find this castle most impressive.

That's bananas! It puts my underground hovels to shame. :-D

I'm 26hrs in on a medium-sized map and I'm still moseying around in gold armour/weapons; I'm playing at a leisurely pace! :-D The only major things I've done so far is kill EoC, and bring a meteorite down (currently mining). I'm going to craft a phaseblade soon, but I'm still debating the colour; blue/green/red/purple Star Wars stylee, or pure-as-the-driven-snow white? Hmmmm....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That multicolored castle is pretty incredible!

I found some flippers. More useful than I'd have expected, I'm gonna go treasure diving!

Adnor

Banned
Rygar 8 Bit said:
cant wait for someone to recreate super mario 1-1 or draculas castle from castlevania
Someone already made SMB 1-1.

This game is amazing, it's not like Minecraft, I love both games in their own, respective ways.

Last week I was sick, so...
1E0966A504D6808CCD55F1679EACB03D3DE09DDB

6350D47AF43B43610275184F52606EDEEA1C4CD0

F3797AD226DE173F0C722D4F68779DCA4CD434D5

I'm going to make a farm in the basement,

I found a bug in MP the other day, but it was the first version of the game, I think they patched it.

2B9D8FF420EB648F9F558EEA76A8477A97C2517A

I'm sorry for my horrible, horrible english.

Fox1304

For everyone wanting to tag along a newcomer such as me, here's my steam ID, feel free to add me for some Terraria love !

sojiro1304

pr0cs

Really loving the game.
Too bad I can't get Steam to function at work, would be nice to play a bit during lunch.

Are there any negatives on the world you initially start with? I don't understand why I would want to create small worlds?

Also, I presume that it would make sense to try and create a better pickaxe early on since a lot of the game is basically digging and the default pickaxe is really slow/inefficient.

pr0cs said:
Really loving the game.
Too bad I can't get Steam to function at work, would be nice to play a bit during lunch.

Are there any negatives on the world you initially start with? I don't understand why I would want to create small worlds?

Also, I presume that it would make sense to try and create a better pickaxe early on since a lot of the game is basically digging and the default pickaxe is really slow/inefficient.

I think small world would be better suited to single player. I am playing co-op with one other person right now and found that building a large world was a little over-the-top. Medium for two people seems perfect.

pr0cs

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I think small world would be better suited to single player. I am playing co-op with one other person right now and found that building a large world was a little over-the-top. Medium for two people seems perfect.
I don't understand how having a bigger world to play in is a bad thing.. maybe there is some world mechanic that I'm missing?

This probably isn't the best place to ask since I have a feeling the answers may be kind of biased but what game is better for a completely new player? Minecraft or Terraria?

I haven't played either really, I messed around with the free version of Minecraft for a little bit and had fun - however I'm much much more interested in the exploration aspect, and having to collect materials myself to survive... which obviously is not part of the free version. Also, I don't have anyone to play with - none of my friends play either of these games so I would be going solo.

Retro

Houston3000 said:
This probably isn't the best place to ask since I have a feeling the answers may be kind of biased but what game is better for a completely new player? Minecraft or Terraria?

I haven't played Minecraft, but I have to imagine the 2-D view makes Terraria a heck of a lot easier to get around in... plus, the gameplay is much more in line with games most of us are familiar with (Metroid, Mario, etc.) so you can jump right in.

A Q&A with the Designer/Programmer of Terraria: http://steamaddicts.com/2011/05/terraria-mania/

Are there plans for dedicated servers in the works?

Yes.

Are there plans to have a Widescreen mode?

Likely, but not for certain.

Are there more bosses or NPCs planned?

Yes. In fact Tiy has been working very hard to come up with some new enemies for the game.

Any plans to leverage zombies as a boss event (huge numbers attack at same time)?

Possibly. If there is something that I see a large number of fans asking for, I will do my best to get it in the game.

How long do you plan to support the game for, and for how long things will be added.

We will continue to work on this game until the time comes to start on it’s replacement.

Will you be able to teleport between houses in the future?

Right now we are playing around with the idea of adding a new NPC that teleports players for a fee.

Are there plans for different type of flora/fauna for food and health? New types of minerals, armors and weapons? New types of decoration items? Stuff like books,water candles, chain lanterns?

There are plans for a lot more decorative items.

How about game modes like Capture the Flag or Survival (against one zombie player)?

We plan on expanding PvP by a great deal in the future.

Retro said:
A Q&A with the Designer/Programmer of Terraria: http://steamaddicts.com/2011/05/terraria-mania/
Are there plans to have a Widescreen mode?

Likely, but not for certain.

So, I guess we're not going to be seeing native widescreen support for a while. :-/

Status update. Today I...
  • Started mining my first Meteorite, and crafted a 'Skywalker Green' phaseblade
  • Had a random Meteorite land (haven't found it yet)
  • Fought off my first Goblin Army and got Rocket Boots and a Harpoon for my trouble

RyanDG

Bobby Truffles said:
So, I guess we're not going to be seeing native widescreen for a while. :-/

That's kind of odd considering how easily you can apply the fix. I wonder why this is... Maybe too many other things they are working on first?

Mairu

RyanDG said:
That's kind of odd considering how easily you can apply the fix. I wonder why this is... Maybe too many other things they are working on first?
I don't understand it either. Widescreen is pretty much there, I don't know why they can't just add custom resolutions to the game :|

pr0cs

DennisK4 said:
Is everybody playing the Steam version?

Are there any reasons (mods etc.) NOT to get it on Steam?
I don't think you can buy it anywhere else but Steam now can you?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Bobby Truffles said:
So, I guess we're not going to be seeing native widescreen support for a while. :-/
Lame.

Now I want to find a widescreen mod that doesn't put my stars in the middle of the screen.

Hawkian said:
That multicolored castle is pretty incredible!

I found some flippers. More useful than I'd have expected, I'm gonna go treasure diving!
That was the first accessory I found in a chest. It also marked the end of my drowning experiences.

Mudkips

Banned
WajWw.png

I'd like to play the game because I think it might be a good game to play with my girlfriend.
Tried to get her to play Minecraft, and while she likes it, she does get a bit of motion sickness, and doesn't have the OCD to enjoy the larger scale and openness of it.

Terraria being 2D obviously solves the motion sickness bit, and it being more action-oriented should make it more appealing to her. If there was a demo (is there?) I'd have her try that.

I'd be willing to jump in at the 4-pack price ($15 for 2), but if someone is giving away copies, even better. I'd try it out, let her try it out, and then if it gets the thumbs up, buy a second copy.

Edit: I guess this ended a while ago?
Oh well. Anyone have one to gift / want in on a 4pack?

sixghost

Concept17 said:
Not having a minimap is one of the best features of this game.
Maybe I'm just weak, but I'd love a minimap. Once you get more than 1000ft below the surface, it gets so hard to remember where you were last digging.

I'd settle for some kind of long/lat number, so you could easily mark spots of orbs or tunnels.

Played for four hours straight last night, really gets its hooks into you. At the moment I have a dingy hovel, but I already have plans to build myself a castle. Just gotta get mining...

I have almost no 'good' items, because I spent those four hours wandering around the surface, looking for a good spot to put a house. Next session I'll start going down, should be fun.

Concept17

sixghost said:
Maybe I'm just weak, but I'd love a minimap. Once you get more than 1000ft below the surface, it gets so hard to remember where you were last digging.

I'd settle for some kind of long/lat number, so you could easily mark spots of orbs or tunnels.

You can craft a depth meter that tells you how far down you are. Also, I've found building doors or just kind of digging out recognizable rooms as I go to be pretty useful. Makes you remember where you are more easily.

Also - is the best thing to do in this game is to just keep digging farther and farther down? Friends and I have been maneuvering our way around lava at this point, and it takes forever to climb all the way back down everytime we die. (though we did just get the grappling hook last night so that should help) Is it more beneficial to go far to the sides of the map as well?

sixghost

Concept17 said:
You can craft a depth meter that tells you how far down you are. Also, I've found building doors or just kind of digging out recognizable rooms as I go to be pretty useful. Makes you remember where you are more easily.

Also - is the best thing to do in this game is to just keep digging farther and farther down? Friends and I have been maneuvering our way around lava at this point, and it takes forever to climb all the way back down everytime we die. (though we did just get the grappling hook last night so that should help) Is it more beneficial to go far to the sides of the map as well?
Yeah, I have a depth meter, but it's still really easy to get lost when you get further down unless you build extremely organized tunnels.

If you guys are focused on digging all the way to the underworld and mining hellstone, you should probably think about making a house/spawn point 1000-1200ft below the surface. It will end up saving you so much time considering the amount of times you will get killed when you first start down there. Also, you don't want to get too far to the left or right, as one will be the dungeon, and the other will be the underground jungle. The underworld is the middle part of the deep earth.

Retro

sixghost said:
If you guys are focused on digging all the way to the underworld and mining hellstone, you should probably think about making a house/spawn point 1000-1200ft below the surface.

I just dug a shaft straight down to hell from the basement of my house and then used signs to mark the various branches off of it ("Mushrooms here, not far" or "Obsidian farm"). I knew the objective is to dig, so the first thing I did was dig as deep as I could down.

Signs are there. Use 'em.

I bought this game yesterday afternoon after I got home from work (I got home at 2PM because the company was releasing early for Memorial Day Weekend). Anyways, I'm somewhat ashamed to say I bought this game and spent my entire Friday night playing it. Holy shit it's amazingly addictive and the world is absolutely massive on Large. It's almost too massive, I'm like 6 hours in and just started hitting gold.

I think I'm doing it wrong though. In the beginning of the game I chopped some wood and built a tiny house, I then dug straight down into the "basement". Well, I shouldn't say straight, I have quite the labyrinth going. I have an excellent path system going down through my mines with platforms and dirt walls placed so I never accidentally kill myself with shitty platforming. I come up to the surface every so often, have a full set of iron gear and silver weapons/pick-axe and a merchant with a pretty big castle but that's it.

I decided yesterday, after dying to a huge pack of skeletons and mother gels in my mine that I would run along the surface for a while and I found a cave that was already carved out. It went super deep I didn't even bother building platforms so I could easily get out again. I just kept going deeper, found some chests with TONS (for me at least, like multiple gold) money in them. Unfortunately I accidentally fell into a pit and killed myself but I didn't realize there were already pre-made dungeons. Maybe that's why it's taking me so long because I'm not taking advantage of them? I haven't ran into any boss monsters or anything yet.

ACE 1991 said:
Is there anyway to pick up items one has placed down in the world?
Hammer them or break/rebuild the floor beneath them with the pickaxe

Retro

Houston3000 said:
I think I'm doing it wrong though.

Impossible. This game lets you play anyway you want and any way you want to play is awesome. I've been spending the last few days gathering materials to build a big ass fortress in a new world (I have no idea why I'm starting from scratch other than I feel like I screwed up the last time).

I've seen a couple of these 'naturally-occurring' caves myself but then usually don't run too deep. Just deep enough to be worth poking into and maybe digging around. If you found one with a chest or two, that's awesome... mine usually end with a bunch of pots, but... my worlds have all been Small so far.

Mudkips said:
WajWw.png

I'd like to play the game because I think it might be a good game to play with my girlfriend.
Tried to get her to play Minecraft, and while she likes it, she does get a bit of motion sickness, and doesn't have the OCD to enjoy the larger scale and openness of it.

Terraria being 2D obviously solves the motion sickness bit, and it being more action-oriented should make it more appealing to her. If there was a demo (is there?) I'd have her try that.

I'd be willing to jump in at the 4-pack price ($15 for 2), but if someone is giving away copies, even better. I'd try it out, let her try it out, and then if it gets the thumbs up, buy a second copy.

Edit: I guess this ended a while ago?
Oh well. Anyone have one to gift / want in on a 4pack?
I'd jump in on a 4 pack price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom