• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggy

Ah, brilliant.

I just cleared the dungeon and I wondered what to do with my new devastating items.
Progressing to a new harder world where my new stuff is of use would be great.

Played a little bit more. I got a bit sidetracked in my own mine when I decided to explore this hole I had kept ignoring... it led to this huge clearing with tons of water - ended up doing some diving and found about 3 more hearts and a lot of gold.

Before I got to finish though I got the message that something was watching me so I teleported to the surface and fought Eye of Cthulu... bastard killed my nurse and my demolitionist but I finally killed it and crafted myself a pretty sick sword with the demonite it dropped. Luckily a new nurse and demolitionist showed up as well as a Dryad.

ACE 1991

So is there some kind of gaf server I should play on? Want to re roll a new character for MP.

EDIT: How do I get merchants and NPCs to move in? Do the rooms have to be attached to my castle/base?

S.W.

I think there are spots in my world have something directly above since I can hear a thud every time I shoot upwards and I'm pretty sure there are no floating islands. Is there something above the skycap at all?

Huggy

S.W. said:
I think there are spots in my world have something directly above since I can hear a thud every time I shoot upwards and I'm pretty sure there are no floating islands. Is there something above the skycap at all?

Your bullet has to bounce back. I can hear a thud sometimes as well.. probably blocks above the ceiling.

Dug a bit deeper, at about 3200 feet. Found some Running Shoes and a Magical Boomerang.

It takes a really long time to get down to the bottom of my mine though, I really hope there some sort of portal eventually.

Dreavus

Bobby Truffles said:
I'll post this here to save you guys/gals from having to visit the wanker-infested official forums.
Progression has been pretty slow over the last week. I've actually been in the middle of moving. I put an offer on a house before the first trailer went public, and got the keys to it the day before Terraria was released. (Great timing, huh?)

I just finally got my workspace set up at the new place, so I should be able to get back to the grind early next week. But enough about that, let's talk about the future of Terraria.

My immediate focus for the game will be patching up the remaining bugs, implementing Steam features, and of course working on multiplayer to make it more secure and accessible. Multiplayer is a bit of a mess right now, and a dedicated server with no graphics card requirements is very much needed. Content progression will be slow for the next few weeks until we get all of the necessities taken care of. Though, we will be adding a few new things here and there to keep you interested.

In the long term, we will not just be adding content, but new mechanics as well. Some of the ideas the we have been playing around with are:

Pure PvP servers with team based objectives. Worlds will be generated before every match. Imagine a CTF server where towers are automatically created on either side of the map. Players can fight it out on the surface, or try to tunnel into the other tower.
Adding sloped/inclined tiles to make the world smoother.
New harder world types to continue game progression (Ex: Alien plants, alternate dimensions, evil worlds, etc.)
Enemy factions that will move into your world, and build their own city. You can slaughter them while they are weak, or let them build up their strength to get better rewards.
More events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, more/improved invasions, etc..
Weather: Seasons, snow, floods, etc..
Farming, and stamina system that gives a bonus to player stats.
Mechanics for making traps and devices.

Terraria has endless possibilities, and there is still a lot more that we want to do with it. In the meantime, please be patient while we get the last few kinks worked out.

This game has so much potential for expansion it's ridiculous. I can't wait for more things to do.

Grinchy

Banned
Those sound like awesome additions. I'm purposely trying not to play through the rest of the current content too quickly for this reason. I also really want to try multiplayer at some point.

i don't have the game yet but, i was wondering if there was a gaf server. after watching some videos and reading impressions it seems like a large world could be really neat with several people working on it. obviously, it wouldn't be like minecraft where you'd have huge cities and what-not but if people got creative it seems like it'd be really cool with several people playing on the same world.

balddemon

Banned
i'm having a problem with the Arms Dealer and Demo guy, I think they/my world is bugged. My buddy came into my world and he brought a gun, so the Arms Dealer showed up. He was the last NPC I needed. Now, he and the Demo guy got killed by Eater of Worlds a couple times, and they won't respawn. Or they're just lost, idk. Here's a picture of their living arrangements.

*http://i.imgur.com/YfMrV.jpg*
*image tags removed to save scrolling*

Any suggestions? I like this world, but i'm not averse to moving my stuff to another one if I have to.

EDIT: Sorry about the huge picture, if need be I will take it down.

sixghost

Monroeski said:
20-something hours in, killed all 3 bosses and I still haven't had a goblin invasion.
That's just really bad luck. I believe goblin's are supposed to spawn once every 15 dusks.

jman2050

What this really needs is some way to make your own adventures for other people to play, maybe really structure it like a true Metroidvania.

EDIT - Though I guess you could technically already do this, though it'd be a lot of effort on the part of the creator to get something workable :p

balddemon said:
i'm having a problem with the Arms Dealer and Demo guy, I think they/my world is bugged. My buddy came into my world and he brought a gun, so the Arms Dealer showed up. He was the last NPC I needed. Now, he and the Demo guy got killed by Eater of Worlds a couple times, and they won't respawn. Or they're just lost, idk. Here's a picture of their living arrangements.

Close all the doors in the house, the merchants should respawn and move back in short after.

balddemon

Banned
Mr_Guillotine said:
Close all the doors in the house, the merchants should respawn and move back in short after.
I did that, and they didn't come back :( i even built a new house for one of them, and they're not coming...I'm gonna try to start a new world and see if that works.

BooJoh

balddemon said:
I don't know if it applies to having them respawn, but the Arms Dealer requires you to have a gun in your inventory. If you don't have one at all or all your guns are in chests, he may not show up. Same might apply to the Demolitionist and explosives.

balddemon

Banned
BooJoh said:
I don't know if it applies to having them respawn, but the Arms Dealer requires you to have a gun in your inventory. If you don't have one at all or all your guns are in chests, he may not show up. Same might apply to the Demolitionist and explosives.

It's definitely my world, since I took my guy and made 6 identical houses (in a fresh new world) and the arms dealer was the 2nd one to show up, with the Musket sitting in my inventory. one last thing i will try is to summon the eater of worlds again and see if that triggers something. otherwise i'll just use my hurried world as a guns/demo world.....efff

Dreavus

Hawkian said:
I've never had a goblin invasion either! Why do you hate me goblins?!

On the contrary, maybe they like you too much... if they are refraining from an invasion. ;)

EDIT: beaten? lol

any tips or tricks on getting through sand going Left - Right or Right -Left. I just want to tunnel through it but of course all sand above it comes tumbling down. anyway to get supports in so that doesn't happen?

Woo-Fu

Banned
aronnov reborn said:
any tips or tricks on getting through sand going Left - Right or Right -Left. I just want to tunnel through it but of course all sand above it comes tumbling down. anyway to get supports in so that doesn't happen?

Sounds like a problem dynamite might cure.

Well, I got fed up and decided to spend 45 minutes and construct a 3500 foot vertical tunnel - a free fall elevator if you will - all the way down to the bottom of my mine. The entire thing is walled in and, for every spot it actually intersects my other tunneling I've put a couple of torches, a platform, and some cobweb to catch me so I can decide to exit the tunnel at that point. Now it takes less than a minute to get all the way down and I can teleport back up instantly. I just have to jump in and hold down if I want to skip all the stops. Not sure if you get some sort of portal device later on or something but it's still a major feat of engineering I'm proud of! :)

Wanace

Those future features sound amazing. I'd love to see an enemy city spring up and head over there and take them all out. Same with invasions and traps and shit in my castle, would be badass.

DAMNIT

I reached Hell, fucking little fire imps were shooting at me like insanity as I was backed into the corner. I was trying to back up, spamming my pick-axe to destroy the fire balls but it wasn't working too well because they were porting behind me. I pull out my Magical Boomerang to start killing them and, in the confusion I press Q instead of A to move right and throw my goddamn boomerang into the lava.

On top of that I die, so sad right now :(

strata8

Not sure if this is allowed to be posted, but here's the Terraria Modding API by 'high'. There are a couple of plugins included, like a splash screen skipper, texture loader, and custom resolution support ('-x<width> -y<height>' directly from the Steam launch options). The creator of TShock (custom server mod) is porting it over to the API.

Binary: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29760911/TerrariaAPI.rar
Source: https://github.com/high6/Terraria-API

The EXE is still locked into Steam; AFAIK the only modification from the original is the inclusion of the API class. Once again though, if this isn't allowed, I'll happily remove the link.

Truth101

Banned
I don't mind the Imps too much anymore, but it's that damn worm that regenerates every single time he goes back into the lava...... I hate him, so much. =C

Neki

Truth101 said:
I don't mind the Imps too much anymore, but it's that damn worm that regenerates every single time he goes back into the lava...... I hate him, so much. =C
He doesn't regenerate. Unless you mean re-produce, then yes, he has a lot of kids.

Truth101

Banned
Ultimoo said:
He doesn't regenerate. Unless you mean re-produce, then yes, he has a lot of kids.

What really? I swear his HP goes up every single time he goes in the lava....
He has kids?

Rayven

aka surume
Houston3000 said:
Well, I got fed up and decided to spend 45 minutes and construct a 3500 foot vertical tunnel - a free fall elevator if you will - all the way down to the bottom of my mine. The entire thing is walled in and, for every spot it actually intersects my other tunneling I've put a couple of torches, a platform, and some cobweb to catch me so I can decide to exit the tunnel at that point. Now it takes less than a minute to get all the way down and I can teleport back up instantly. I just have to jump in and hold down if I want to skip all the stops. Not sure if you get some sort of portal device later on or something but it's still a major feat of engineering I'm proud of! :)
How did you pull this off without shit spawning above you as you dug? Those predictable, frequent back spawns are the most annoying thing about this game :(

Truth101 said:
What really? I swear his HP goes up every single time he goes in the lava....
He has kids?

The worm has several body parts. Each body part has a independent life. So is normal that you hit him and you see that has more life than previously, because you are hitting a different body part.

HeartAttackJones said:
How did you pull this off without shit spawning above you as you dug? Those predictable, frequent back spawns are the most annoying thing about this game :(

Nothing spawn over. Because spawn happen only over the blocks. If you make a completly vertical tunnel, nothing spawn over you, because you never have blocks where to spawn enemies.

Soule

Haven't played in like a week cause my friend whose server I used to play on hasn't been around and it's so lame that I left all my cool valuable stuff over on that server. Pretty lame :\ although I still get the itch to build and dig. I do have to say that some of the ideas proposed as future updates do sound pretty cool and exciting.

Enco

Oh man, that list of possible features is absolutely amazing!

Game of forever if they all come!

I mean.. CTF!!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd love for another species/faction or three to "move in" to the world. I'm somewhat envisioning something brilliant like Suikoden 2 where you have your castle and build it up to allocate not only merchant NPCs and the like, but hired swordsmen and companions controlled by AI (i.e. they simply follow you and help you do battle). It could add a worthwhile spice to the game, especially for those who enjoy that overarching sense of building up a kingdom of sorts.

Initially the game seems to have been thrown onto the Minecraft-too alias but with the success and word-of-mouth they can head into their own little definition. I'd love to see what 12-18 months does to this game.

Walshicus

speedpop said:
I'd love for another species/faction or three to "move in" to the world. I'm somewhat envisioning something brilliant like Suikoden 2 where you have your castle and build it up to allocate not only merchant NPCs and the like, but hired swordsmen and companions controlled by AI (i.e. they simply follow you and help you do battle). It could add a worthwhile spice to the game, especially for those who enjoy that overarching sense of building up a kingdom of sorts.

Initially the game seems to have been thrown onto the Minecraft-too alias but with the success and word-of-mouth they can head into their own little definition. I'd love to see what 12-18 months does to this game.
This. I want to start building up a town!

Bought this yesterday on GAF praise and am loving it. 6 hours played in one day.

Wanace

Fuck a goblin army just stormed my base. I barely survived but I wiped them all out and got a harpoon along with a shitload of cash and spiked balls.

I'm close to the endgame now, finally flooded some lava and got a bunch of obsidian and have been mining hellstone. Still have a bunch of items left to craft and find and the dungeon and Skeletron left of course.

Looking forward to finishing off this world and moving to a new one where I can craft a castle that can withstand a goblin assault easier.

I hope the game never puts me in a position where enemies can attack and do major damage to my castle. I spent so long on it to have them throw bombs and blow it up :(

RyanDG

butter_stick said:
I hope the game never puts me in a position where enemies can attack and do major damage to my castle. I spent so long on it to have them throw bombs and blow it up :(

I'm actually hoping for this. With the terrain destruction engine, its a crying shame that enemies can't do permanent damage to the castles. I would love to see them set it up where you can be legitimately fearful of what they will do with an invasion or an attack. Though I wouldn't be too opposed if they left it as an option for a 'hardcore' mode or something, where they punish you more for death (lose your inventory) and allow for wrecking of your structures by specific enemy types.

Walshicus

RyanDG said:
I'm actually hoping for this. With the terrain destruction engine, its a crying shame that enemies can't do permanent damage to the castles. I would love to see them set it up where you can be legitimately fearful of what they will do with an invasion or an attack. Though I wouldn't be too opposed if they left it as an option for a 'hardcore' mode or something, where they punish you more for death (lose your inventory) and allow for wrecking of your structures by specific enemy types.
That would only really work if you could have NPC guards and such.

Houston3000 said:
Dug a bit deeper, at about 3200 feet. Found some Running Shoes and a Magical Boomerang.

It takes a really long time to get down to the bottom of my mine though, I really hope there some sort of portal eventually.
I found a magic mirror in a chest in one of my excavations on the weekend, lets me warp to my house. Can't warp back though :( But that's 50% of my usual travel handled. Pretty awesome find.

RyanDG said:
I don't like living in fear. I already worry a meterorite is going to destroy my castle :/

Hopefully they make it an option got each world, and I'll have one map for designing, one map for fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom