• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

headerhjpp3.png

What is Terraria?
Dig, fight, explore, build! Nothing is impossible in this action-packed adventure game. The world is
your canvas and the ground itself is your paint.

Grab your tools and go! Make weapons to fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes. Dig
deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things. Gather resources to create
everything you need to make the world your own. Build a house, a fort, or even a castle. People
will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey.

But beware, there are even more challenges awaiting you... Are you up to the task?

System Requirements:
Processor: 1.6 Ghz
Memory: 512MB
Hard Disk Space: 200MB
Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1
(XNA Card Compatability List)
DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater​

Steam Link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

banner1ppqdd.png

Mechanics/Gameplay changes
  • Enemies now have a health bar
  • There is now a map, mini map, and overlay that only shows tiles the brightest they have ever been
  • There is now an extended crafting menu that will show everything you can craft
  • You will now start with 10 mana
  • Some items now stack to 999
  • Character slots have been increased to 1,000
  • World slots have been increased to 1,000
  • Character creation has been remodeled
  • Chest sizes have been doubled
  • Your inventory space has been increased by 10
  • You no longer need to jump to ascend single blocks
  • You can now paint any solid tile or item
  • Dye slots have been added
  • You can now craft early game magic robes and staves
  • Ropes are now found early game and can be used to craft rope coils for traversing the world
  • Bricks, wood, stone and glass all now blend together
  • Your world has a chance to get alternative ore as a replacement for copper, iron, silver, and gold
  • Your world has a chance to have a replacement for the Corruption
  • Your world has a chance to get alternative ores as a replacement for Cobalt, Mythril, and Adamantite
  • Your world has a rare chance to have a pyramid or living tree spawn during world generation each containing their own loot table
  • There is a new hardmode jungle temple
  • There are now beehives that can be found in the jungle
  • Chains can now be placed and used as a rope mechanism
  • Rain and blizzards have been added
  • There is a new snow biome with unique treasures and items for normal and hardmode
  • There are several new buffs and debuffs
  • There are now mini Capture the Gem addition to the game. You can craft large gems that draw a gem icon above the player holding the gem and if the player is killed the gem will be dropped next to their corpse
  • There are 2 new hardmode events
  • Werewolf form has been buffed and can take place every night
  • Broken armor debuff only lasts 2 minutes, down from 5

Graphical changes
  • The sun is now brighter
  • Midnight is now darker
  • The sky has a smooth gradient
  • There are several items that have had graphical upgrades such as gems, colored torches, minishark, muramasa, aqua scepter,
  • starfury, ect..
  • There are now stalagmites, icecicles, moss, plants, rocks, and other "piles" added to enhance the environment
  • There are several new mini caves that can be found with unique backgrounds
  • Each biome will now have chests and pots with unique graphics
  • The dungeon now has 3 unique textures/colors and furniture
  • Hell houses have been remodeled
  • Floating islands have been remodeled
  • Each biome will now have unique textures and wood types:
  • Corruption: Ebonwood
  • Jungle: Rich Mahogany
  • Crimson: Shadewood
  • Hallow: Pearlwood
  • Each brick now has its own unique texture
  • Each brick wall now has its own unique texture
  • Torches are now animated and can be placed on walls
  • Common enemies such as demon eyes, skeletons, and zombies have all been given graphical variations
  • There are several new tombstones
  • All objects in the game that sparkle will now sparkle with a corresponding color

New Items/Recipes
  • In total there are over 1,000 new items
  • There are 10 new ores
  • There are 4 new wood types
  • There are 31 new brick types
  • You can now imbue melee weapons
  • There are several new arrow and bullet types
  • There are several new crafting stations
  • There are several new wands used for crafting new bricks and brick walls
  • You can now craft bricks, walls, and furniture out of several new materials:
  • Slime, Bone, Mushroom, Living wood, Flesh, Silt, and many more!
  • There are 12 new wing types
  • There are several new vanity sets
  • There are a lot of new rare drops added to enemies
  • You can now craft stained glass
  • There is an item in hardmode that allows you to change biomes
  • There is an item in hardmode that allows you to increase your max health
  • There are 29 new tinker combinations
  • Several new items have been added to the game that are used for crafting dyes
  • All of the old classic armors can be found as rare drops and have the same stats as their current counterparts and count towards set bonuses
  • Items that were called dyes previously for crafting have been changed to thread
  • Chests now have larger loot tables
  • You can now make picks instead of drills and axes instead of chainsaws in late game tiers
  • Increased the drop rate of souls
  • There are over 50 paintings that can be collected randomly throughout the world
  • Silt and slush can be extracted into useful materials, items, and money
  • Each boss has a rare chance to drop a placeable boss trophy
  • Stars can now be crafted with bottles to make a new light source

NPCs
  • There are 8 new friendly npcs
  • There are 4 new bosses
  • There are over 100 new enemies
  • Friendly npcs will sell different items depending on certain conditions such as time of day or biome they are living in
  • Hardmode bosses have a chance to spawn on their own to help players progress through the game
  • Current hardmode bosses now do slightly less damage and have had their health decreased
  • There is a rare spawn mini boss that can be found during blizzards in the above ground ice biome
  • There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies
  • Early hardmode enemies now do less damage and have less health/defense.
  • Skeletron can now be summoned and has a small loot table

Music
  • There are 15 new tracks for the game, 3 of which are from the console version of the game
  • Day theme 2 will loop into day theme 1 to add variation above ground
  • Desert, ocean, glowing mushrooms, dungeon, and space all have their own tracks now
  • Ice biome has an above and below ground track

Performance/Misc/Bug fixes

• The game now only loads assets when needed, reducing the amount of RAM used
  • Optimized tile data to reduce RAM usage
  • There game will now ask you if you want to use UPnP to automatically port-forward when hosting multiplayer
  • You can no longer craft items or money by placing items in the trash.
  • You can no longer sell your gold to NPC's
  • Music box/chest duping no longer works
  • Bunnies/Goldfish spawned from statues no longer drop money during a Bloodmoon
  • Equipping items to the social slot in German no longer crashes the game
  • The game will no longer create a random password during multiplayer world generation
  • You can now reforge in all languages
  • Active blocks will no longer become inactive with a chest on them
  • Fixed a bug that would cause a suitable house to be unsuitable
  • Fixed a lot of bugs that were not listed

banner2smq95.png

TheBez

Hawkian said:
mind blown

Brazil bear in mind there are 8 copies up for grabs now. You might want to update the contest post :)

I don't want to be the one to point this out because I don't want to be rude. But who are the other 4 winners? :)

Brazil said:
WajWw.png

Ok, guys: the winners are:

charlemagne
Fox1304
Nekrono
trinest

Congratulations! Hope to see pictures of your adventures in Terraria soon.

Please send Mr_Elysia a message to claim your prize.

Also, thank you all for participating.

JtClS.jpg
Awesome! Looking forward to jumping in later.

InertiaXr said:
Maybe I dig differently than most people, but I currently have a 3 wide tunnel straight down to hell and lots of branches off of that where I am mining/looking for stuff.
That seems to be the way to go -- I initially tried doing a zig-zag stairstep or just traversing through cave systems, and both of those methods are ridiculously slow once you start getting deeper.

You pretty much have to have a grappling hook to make it work, though, or be really careful about building spiderweb nets.

sixghost said:
How far down are those usually?
It really depends, I've had a couple that were practically visible from the surface, and others that were deep enough that you can't really make it down without a grappling hook. For my first one, I found it safer and easier to just dig down parallel to it, then used dynamite to blast my way in from the side.

Nekrono

Just want to thank Brazil and Mr_Elysia for making this contest promoting this awesome game and just for being good lads.

Just talked to Mr_Elysia over Steam and...
untitled-3sdi9.jpg

Now I'm a happy owner of Terraria thanks to him and Brazil.

Can't wait to spend hours and hours playing this and I'll be sure to post my findings and questions in the world of Terraria!.

Here's my Steam ID if anyone wants to add me and play: Necrono

Many thanks to Brazil and Mr Elysia, I too have just received my copy! Looking forward to finishing this report so I can play it guilt-free :D

Heavyarms2050

Neo Member
i pray to god they keep on adding content. So far I did everything except getting a complete cobalt armor set and finding a sky island.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ranger X said:
Any talks or chance of a demo for this game?
I'd like to try it but there's no way I plunge 20$ for that.

First of all: the game costs $20.
Second of all: the game is worth $50.

I've played this for about 30 hours (and with 3 other friends). That's more than any game but WoW or Mount & Blade for me, this year.

Ranger X said:
Any talks or chance of a demo for this game?
I'd like to try it but there's no way I plunge 20$ for that.

Just sucker a friend into buying it and try his/her version. That's legal I think if a bit in the grey ethical zone.

Personally I am 20 hours in now and I just tried
to invade the dungeon. Spent 20 200 hp potions and a shit load of reincarnations before I gave up.

Looked it up on the wiki and found out how that was not such a clever idea.

trinest

It appears I won.

Someone asked awhile back about the multiplayer been Ip to Ip or something. I want to ask that again- not sure if it got an answer. But is the multiplayer as detailed as the minecraft one, in the sense can I set up a server and then have as many people- put in plugins etc. Or is it just peer to peer?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can have up to 8 people on a server. I think the game is a bit too new to have any mods or plugins yet...

TheBez

Hawkian said:
You can have up to 8 people on a server. I think the game is a bit too new to have any mods or plugins yet...
I have seen some mods on youtube and such. If you search there you might be able to find download links for them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy crap the Molten Hamaxe makes trees explode.

edit: For those of us not lucky enough to have the item that negates falling damage yet, take a page from the physics of Just Cause 2- shoot your grappling hook at the ground right before you land and you won't get hurt at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, the hammer.

So if you're mining a meteorite and then you die when you go back are all the remaining pieces of it gone? :-/

Mairu

Hawkian said:
Yep, the hammer.

So if you're mining a meteorite and then you die when you go back are all the remaining pieces of it gone? :-/
pretty sure the meteorite blocks stay there until you mine them

Dreavus

Kind of strange that you get the materials for Necro armor from inside the dungeon... but you have to have good enough armor to take on Skeletron to get in there to begin with. Necro doesn't really seem to stack up to Molten, either.

Also, the Sunfury is the best weapon ever.

EDIT: It appears I've done most of what there is to do in the game... time to start building an awesome castle, I think!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the tip on the meteorite, I had given up, but it turned out to be buried deep in the corruption so I'm glad I kept looking.

Hawkian said:
Thanks for the tip on the meteorite, I had given up, but it turned out to be buried deep in the corruption so I'm glad I kept looking.

I had one that was like that as well. Fell into a chasm.

The best way to deal with meteorite is to pick up a couple of sticks of TNT and toss that on it. Once you've mined out half (or a little over half) the meteor heads stop spawning and you can get the rest in relative peace.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Having meteorite be the source for the good kind of ammo was a really good call, imo. I'm still saving up for the minishark and looking for the phoenix to be my permanent main weapon, but knowing that I'm stocking up on potential ammo when I find a crashed meteor is a cool feeling.

edit: hey they changed the game's subtitle

Fox1304

Just wanted to confirm that I received the game from my Steam Angel, Mr Elysia.
Can't
Fucking
Wait !!

Thanks again for the contest and for the gift !

Neki

Dreavus said:
Kind of strange that you get the materials for Necro armor from inside the dungeon... but you have to have good enough armor to take on Skeletron to get in there to begin with. Necro doesn't really seem to stack up to Molten, either.

Also, the Sunfury is the best weapon ever.

EDIT: It appears I've done most of what there is to do in the game... time to start building an awesome castle, I think!
Theoretically, armor order is:

Naked -> Copper -> Iron -> Silver -> Gold -> Meteorite -> Demonite -> Necro -> Molten.

It's possible to beat Skeletron with Demonite Armor and weapons, you just have to be very skilled and build a very big arena against him, so it kinda makes sense, but the game still needs more bosses and more things to do.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
aronnov reborn said:
are there official forums for these mods where they explain/discuss them?

I can't figure out how to get these loaded.

same. I only see that they are programmed with Visual C#, but I have no idea how to integrate them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up the game on a whim last night, and played a little single player. Made a work bench and a wooden wall before my face was unceremoniously eaten by night roaming zombies.

I have a feeling this is a game best played in multiplayer, but since there isn't a server browser, I have to resort to asking people for their IP addresses.

Are there any GAF games that are regularly open that I could get in on?

filipe

thetrin said:
Picked up the game on a whim last night, and played a little single player. Made a work bench and a wooden wall before my face was unceremoniously eaten by night roaming zombies.

I have a feeling this is a game best played in multiplayer, but since there isn't a server browser, I have to resort to asking people for their IP addresses.

Are there any GAF games that are regularly open that I could get in on?

If you don't find anything, I'd be happy to play with you (none of my friends own the game).

Concept17

Friends and I decided to pick this up last night. Played about 3 hours strait and had an absolute blast. We never got into Minecraft and generally dislike any kind of casual building games.

The best part about the game is that it has all the crafting/building/items and such, and combines it with actual challenging gameplay. Diving through caves and digging your way down can quickly become a huge challenge, and most often leads to death, but also leads to tons of resources.

Just got my copper suit crafted, and a silver broadsword. Meanwhile my two friends have our house built up pretty nicely, dam included. There is just so much to do. The exploration in this game is what I've been missing in my games. Fuck radar and overhead maps. I love having absolutely no idea what I'll run into, its so awesome.

If you enjoy building stuff and exploring, with a bit of a challenge, buy this game. Its cheap as hell and even runs on my wife's netbook.

Ultimoo said:

Naked -> Copper -> Iron -> Silver -> Gold -> Meteorite -> Demonite -> Necro -> Molten.

It's possible to beat Skeletron with Demonite Armor and weapons, you just have to be very skilled and build a very big arena against him, so it kinda makes sense, but the game still needs more bosses and more things to do.

Yeah the dungeon is arguably easier to deal with than hell.

Secondly, I beat Skeletron with Meteor/demonite armour and a flamarang and he was a cake walk. I could see myself beating him with pure meteor armour and a weaker ranged weapon. You just need to have enough healing potions.

Lanbeast

Ferrio said:
Had this for a while, just started playing last night at 11pm. Next thing I know it was 3 am... fuuuck.

I've been getting around 4.5-5 hours of sleep per night for the past 5-6 days because of this game.

Atomski

SalsaShark said:
well.. finally some fuckin media coverage

seriously

Got to admit it kind of sneaked up on everyone. I did not figure it would be out for another couple months due to them only starting in January.

Blizzard

Banned
Atomski said:
Got to admit it kind of sneaked up on everyone. I did not figure it would be out for another couple months due to them only starting in January.
5 months from scratch to the top of the Steam sales list? I mean, maybe they had engine code already, or some sprites to start from, but that's still impressive (and also impressive that Valve let them get approved that quickly).

Ultimoo said:

You forgot Cobalt. I think I like Cobalt the best although I don't have Molten yet. Mana regen, reduced mana cost and faster attack speed is too hard to give up. I just crafted the Necro armor set last night. It's nice moving around faster, but it makes me miss the bonuses from Cobalt that are especially useful if you have rocket boots.

Edit:
I gotta say, after finding most of the accessories, it's really hard to decide which ones to carry around. I think last night I was running around with rocket boots, shiny red balloon, health regen ring, mana regen ring and either hermes' boots or the feral claws.

Atomski

CrookedRain said:
Edit:
I gotta say, after finding most of the accessories, it's really hard to decide which ones to carry around. I think last night I was running around with rocket boots, shiny red balloon, health regen ring, mana regen ring and either hermes' boots or the feral claws.
I switch mine out based on what I am doing. Mining I go all jump and rocketboots. Fighting I go all defense. Flying around I go all mana regen.

Atomski said:
I switch mine out based on what I am doing. Mining I go all jump and rocketboots. Fighting I go all defense. Flying around I go all mana regen.
I've also been trying to decide how much shit I should carry with me in my inventory, especially after getting Necro Armor. I got rocket boots from a goblin army, picked up the shiny red balloon, starfury and lucky horse shoe from floating islands, got feral claws from the jungle, crafted Necro armor, and picked up a bunch of new weapons/spells in the dungeon so I'm experiencing a new item overload here. All of this happened last night.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
animlboogy said:
These guys always jump on board too late. Indie PC games don't matter even based on massive hype, they have to sell, too.

Dude, this is how the media works. ALL media. Not just games.

A story starts small, in local or smaller publications. They're the ones that jump on first. Then eventually the story gets "picked up" by the AP, or CNN, etc.

In the world of games it starts with, you know, TIGSource forums or wherever. Trickles up to GAF and RPS, and then in some cases trickles up to IGN and Giant Bomb.

You can't expect these guys to be as on the ball with Terraria or other indies. It's amasing Terraria has gotten any coverage at all, with E3 this close. Do you know how BUSY all the big sites are, this week? It's insane.

GDJustin said:
Dude, this is how the media works. ALL media. Not just games.

A story starts small, in local or smaller publications. They're the ones that jump on first. Then eventually the story gets "picked up" by the AP, or CNN, etc.

In the world of games it starts with, you know, TIGSource forums or wherever. Trickles up to GAF and RPS, and then in some cases trickles up to IGN and Giant Bomb.

You can't expect these guys to be as on the ball with Terraria or other indies. It's amasing Terraria has gotten any coverage at all, with E3 this close. Do you know how BUSY all the big sites are, this week? It's insane.
Yep, I'm frankly surprised that Giant Bomb even covered this right now.

And the XBLA comparison is not really fair... Most of those XBLA/PSN games are shown off at trade shows and press events long before they're released, and in many cases the developers actually travel to different press outlets to demo the game. Terraria didn't even exist six months ago. I'm a Minecraft fan and I tend to follow indie PC games fairly closely and I didn't know about Terraria until it launched on Steam. This game was not on the radar of anyone except a small section of the dedicated Minecraft community.

trinest

I went out and came back and the gift was there!

23r7clh.jpg

Going to give it a play later today. Possibly after lunch which I just had :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom