• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Whats the best way to link/or get my steam pics here?

I want to show what my buddies and I been working on. I been hosting a server on my work server.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sarcasm said:
Whats the best way to link/or get my steam pics here?

I want to show what my buddies and I been working on. I been hosting a server on my work server.

I save mine to my computer and upload them to imgur.com. You can also right click on the pic in the Steam get a URL and post it, although I'm not sure if you have to be a member of Steam to view it.

parasight

Finally finished my full Ninja Suit. Thanks King Slime! The first 3 pieces I got were all chest ones though.

General note for those hunting King Slime:
- Be far away from spawn (enough so you can't see bunnies)
- Hold water candle to increase chances.

I believe the chances of him spawning are 1:300, and it checks every time the game spawns a slime.

Neverfade

I just recently started playing this. A couple of youtube videos helped get me started, but I sure with there was a better job of explaining things.

First question: How are you guys taking screens of the whole world?

NBtoaster

Neverfade said:
Thanks.

Next question. I'm still very early on. No Armor, but I just got a Iron Broadsword. Now one of those fucking worms has spawned and it just keeps killing me. I stand no chance. Help!

Small brown worm or large grey worm? Small ones die with a few hits to the head.

Sarcasm

Neverfade said:
Thanks.

Next question. I'm still very early on. No Armor, but I just got a Iron Broadsword. Now one of those fucking worms has spawned and it just keeps killing me. I stand no chance. Help!

Spam attack. Either with sword + clicking or your axe/pick + holding.

Neverfade

NBtoaster said:
Small brown worm or large grey worm? Small ones die with a few hits to the head.

I hit it several times but it didn't die. I just saved and reentered the world. It went away, but not before draining me of tons of silver. :(

Should I be able to make armor yet? Green/Blue Slimes, Zombies, and Eyes I can handle, but I get wrecked as soon as I enter the Jungle area. Not sure what else to do now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Woah bro, stay away from the jungle until you have defeated a boss. There is plenty of silver and gold in the standard caves under your house.

Dice

Neverfade said:
Ooohhhh, so I should be going way down, not left or right? :lol
Yes. Left and right is good for wood and gel to make torches, which you will need.

Going down you will see dirt, then a mix of rock and sand, then just rock, then rock with water, then glowing shrooms, then an increase of chests (usually with bands of regen which should help you since you don't have better accesories), then lava, then the underworld. No worries of accidentally going too far.

I know it's a pain in the ass without a grappling hook, but down is also the only way you'll fight skeletons to get a hook to make one. Waiting for a chest with one is ridiculous. Just use dirt and rock as stairs and torches to help remember and also to spot where the walls are thin to find more caves. You'll be running into iron and copper REAL quick, so you'll be able to make armor. You will probably also find 4-5 hearts before you finish an armor set.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Neverfade said:
Ooohhhh, so I should be going way down, not left or right? :lol

Don't misunderstand... we're not telling you to go all the way down. That would be insane, unless of course, you want to go to Hell, then by all means. :p

I would recommend, at least, just mess around the Underground and Cavern layer (brown background w/ stones, and grey background w/ stones, respectively). If you start seeing some lava pools, you're getting closer to Hell (Hell being lots of lava veins in the background, sudden appearance of Fire Imps). Just stick around the Underground and Cavern parts, and try and get enough ore to make some stuff.

If you want a gameplan, you can use the following (its what I tell my friends to do).
Your main priorities should be:
-Find more Hearts, max out your Life.
-Gather Stars to max out your MP.
-Make a Grappling Hook
-Find a Magic Mirror
-Keep trying to get a decent Pickaxe (at least work towards Gold Pickaxe)
-Better Weapons/Armor
-Make an Obsidian Skull

Do all that, and you should more or less be ready to tackle the "fun" (ie: dangerous/mid-game) stuff: The bosses (except Skeletron), Corruption chasms, Meteor impact sites, Jungle/Underground Jungle.

End game stuff tends to be Hell, Skeletron, and the Dungeon, which you REALLY shouldn't be doing yet.

A lot of this stuff will be much easier if you can find a server and have some friends (or really nice people) help you. Up to you how easy or hard you want to make it.

Neverfade

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! You have no idea how hard of a time I have getting focused in these sandbox games. An objective to work towards makes all the difference in the world.

Chinner said:
they''ve done something to hell cause the respawn rates have gone crazyy

Came in to post this.

Went to Hell for the first time in a while over the weekend. Fire Imps EVERYWHERE. Got pretty overwhelming when trying to mine some extra Hellstone. Also had three Bone Serpents at the same time, two in quick succession after that. Bailed not long after as I'd not really prepared for the extra resistance haha.. Not complaining though, it's good that Hell is a bit more of a challenge now.

Floating islands are also a bit tougher now, those new Harpies spawn like mad up there too. Had 6-7 of them at a time when I was mining out the gold building up there - and you can't block their projectiles with your pick like you can other enemies either.

Started a new world yesterday, map generation since the 1.04 patch is SO different to my original world back on 1.01. Moved left, straight to the surface jungle area and I'm building my new underground base/castle there. Very cool.

75 hours in now. Ridiculous really.

Hope they add NPC quests. Some more side-quest things (even collection type stuff), to add some direction.

Atomski

I can't figure out wtf is going on. Ive ran a Terraria server for a while now with no problems. Yet today everyone can connect but me and it is running on my pc... Whenever I get to the server port page and I accept it just pauses for a moment then does nothing (title animation pauses then resumes). No error message or anything. Ive tried restarting the game and the server but still no luck.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Houston3000 said:
Thanks! It's much more traditional than your glass fortress but that's awesome, I'd love to see an in-game shot.
Thank you too! You can only see so much at once but here's something.
wauHW.png

YQJ7s.png

SmokyDave

Anyone found a way around the bug when remapping controls? No matter what I press / click, it just says 'None' if I try to redefine inputs. You can delete config.dat to restore the original controls but I'm left handed and playing on a trackpad so I'd much rather use the arrow keys.

If there isn't a workaround in-game, does anyone know of any software that can swap keyboard inputs around on a keyboard? So that A=Right Arrow, S=Down Arrow, etc..?

Dice

I made it up in the sky.

iYbp4.jpg

It's cool when jungle enemies spawn in there. They mostly do that in the day time.

Now to build my castle above it.

coopolon

So Terraria. Sounds like fun. Start the game, start cutting down some trees planning on building a house. 30 seconds into my first game ever with my first character a giant fucking worm called Eater of Worlds shoots out of the ground killing me and this friendly guy standing next to me called Guide.

Dice

coopolon said:
30 seconds into my first game ever with my first character a giant fucking worm called Eater of Worlds shoots out of the ground
That's weird. Not supposed to happen until you break a shadow orb.

Retro

Well, I've been promising some images for a while, about time I got to it, eh? Thanks to whoever posted the link to Terrafirmia earlier, much easier to take screenshots in.

I've been working on a map, "Sanctuary" as a home map to store all my loot and build stuff as I feel the need to create. Here's the overview of my town as it is now (incomplete).

DQfxj.jpg

At the far left we have the Warp Zone;
Q0P1u.jpg

Green will (eventually) get to the Underground Jungle (it's a long way), Red to Hell (not even close) and Blue is almost to the Dungeon (you can see the little green edge of it in the overview map). At some point I will probably stop putting in the background walls just because it's become annoyingly expensive and most of the route will be dark anyways.

c5oou.jpg

Greenhouse and Herbalist's Shop. I keep all of my plants / seeds / mushrooms in there. The Dryad will move into the upper level as soon as I kill a boss (probably Skeletron since he has decided my green pipe is part of his dungeon and chases after me). Mushroom Farm is underneath, that large empty space was filled with water and I tried out flooding my mushroom farm to make it look cooler, but I didn't like it and drained it. Probably going to fill that in with sand.

The little terraced valley to the left of the Greenhouse has a well that leads down to the Warp Zone. That reminds me, I need to plant some sunflowers in the little green spaces by each door to finish that off.

ppYK3.jpg

Halls of Healing and Town Archives. The Nurse is up in the silver room (she won't spawn in dungeon bricks and I didn't want just one off-colored room, so that's why the stairwell is silver too). There will eventually be water in that little pool, I just haven't felt like dragging it up by buckets yet.

The guide is in the Library area which needs just a handful more books to be complete. Tables are missing because I didn't want the Merchant or something to think that was his house. The little basement area is the Reliquary (which is a fancy way of saying "This is where I store my Angel Statues).

On the overview map, there's two little structures I didn't bother taking a screenshot of; one is my Merchant Tower (Merchant, Arms Dealer and Clothier) and next to that is the Tower of the Forge where I'll store metals and have all my Hell Furnaces and such. I specifically picked that location because there's a Demon Altar down in the basement (which I'll eventually have lava in). Didn't want to put screenshots of unfinished stuff in yet though.

z1diA.jpg

The Dam and Dungeon. Obviously I haven't done anything but stripmine the dungeon, but eventually I plan to build a big temple over it and a little lighthouse out on that little bump of sand to the right. The ocean was originally much higher, but I dug out that entire valley (edited out for the sake of size but you can see it on the overview map), dumped a bunch of sand in it, and flooded all of it up to my dam height. I love the idea of a big island palace with a dungeon under it, so... that's coming... eventually...

The little room at the base of the dam is the City Engineer's Office, which will be for the Demolitionist or an Engineer NPC (which I suspect is coming based on the number of requests for it).

6xaQc.jpg

Finally, this isn't actually on this map, it's from my first map (where everything is basically done). I'm planning to put a tower similar to this on the hill overlooking the town (above the warp zone, you can see I dug a shaft for it). I'll probably build a similar bridge again (obvious nod to Shadow of the Colossus), but this time it will be more useful as the Corruption is JUST on the other side of the hill.

And yes, I probably do have too much time.

Dice

I wish you could copy/paste something into a new world. I did that encased island on a small world and there just isn't enough sky to do the giant silver and gold pagoda palace that I want above it.

If any of you dream of a big project and you know what you're doing in the game, use a large world. On this small one I charted an entire 1/4th of the map all the way down to hell in NO TIME and there just isn't much room for anything truly cool.

atre324

god damn that is amazing, I was going to post my house but now I just feel inadequate lol. I really like the silver/blue combo too

I definitely like the idea of a world turned into a giant city, with just stuff built all along the surface, but that'd take a loooong time even in a small world lol

vareon

Dice said:
I wish you could copy/paste something into a new world. I did that encased island on a small world and there just isn't enough sky to do the giant silver and gold pagoda palace that I want above it.

If any of you dream of a big project and you know what you're doing in the game, use a large world. On this small one I charted an entire 1/4th of the map all the way down to hell in NO TIME and there just isn't much room for anything truly cool.

I think I'll skip the next few updates (or one, depending how large, content-wise, the next update is) then starting a new world to make the game fresh again.

Retro

atre324 said:
god damn that is amazing, I was going to post my house but now I just feel inadequate lol

I definitely like the idea of a world turned into a giant city, with just stuff built all along the surface, but that'd take a loooong time even in a small world lol

I knew going in I was going to be building a lot. I spent more time in Forge on Halo Reach than actually playing the game, and any kind of shareware game with a built in editor was instantly more awesome and worth the registration fee.

So I figured the best way to go about it would be to start on a map with no interest in building and just dig the fuck out of everything and get myself set up. Best armor, equipment, etc, to make the building process easier later and to stock up on supplies. Once I was well established, I'd go and build on a new map (and from that last image, you can still see I spent some time building anyways).

My plan then was to scout for a map that had the things I wanted;

1. Demon Altar near the surface (I want one in my crafting area close at hand, even if I never use it).

2. Lots of water at the surface (I want lots of bridges, fountains, canals, etc.). I was also looking for a place to set up a dam because... well... I wanted one.

3. Non-obnoxious dungeon color (I've got green on green, my first world had Pink on Green).

After that it was just a matter of scouting out a location to start and doing the major terrain editing ( like all of the space between the Dungeon and the Dam had to be stripped, dug out in a few places, and then buried in sand to make it ocean-like).

I basically wanted a town so I could keep NPCs and Storage organized in a sensical way. My original tower (http://i.imgur.com/6xaQc.jpg) worked alright, but I felt like stuff was starting to crowd (in that image, there's like 9 chests I've taken out already, not counting the basement I've sealed off which had another 10 or so).

So my plan at this point, from Left to Right:

-Bridge over Corruption-

Mage's Tower: Spellbooks, Accessories, Mana-based weapons
Personal Tower: Personal Storage, Weapons and Armor
Terraced Garden If they add farming or fruit trees, they'll go here/
Greenhouse Decoration. I'm so glad that my Jungle grass sprouted a tree and the corruption tree didn't spread like wildfire.
Herbalist's Shop Mushrooms, seeds, plant-related stuff, Mushroom Garden underneath
Fountain & Green Space Going to plant some trees here
Tower of the Forge: Furnaces, Anvils, Workbenches, all of my crafting materials, Demon Altar
Merchant's Tower: Merchant, Arms Dealer, Clothier. Warehouse underneath. Will probably end up storing my costumes items with the clothier.
Halls of Healing: Nurse, plus an alchemist's station and a chest full of potions.
Town Archives: Guide, lots of books, storage for junk like Angel Statues that don't do anything (yet).
Greenspace and Pond: There will be trees here eventually too.
Dam: Demolitionist will live here in the "City Engineer's Workshop" unless they announce plans for an engineer NPC for pipes, minecarts, elevators, etc.).

- Ocean -

Dungeon Temple: Since the old man will be in my town (as the clothier) nobody will live here... probably set a bed up if I want to have a base station.
Light House: Just a cool little decoration item out on the little sand spit.

And if they introduce any kind of larger features (like farming or fruit trees), I'll probably use my terraces to keep samples and then build on the other side of my corruption bridge, maybe as a little hamlet or something. They are talking about adding a bunch of Quest NPCs, maybe they can all live in their own little village or something.

But the number one rule for building has been "Don't fall in love with it." This game has already had, what, two or three decent content patches? I think I read somewhere that the two guys who made it just relocated to live and work together, so there will probably be a ton of content in the near future too.

So if they add some amazing new feature, I'm prepared to start over. Probably use less Dungeon Brick though, it's such a bitch to harvest in bulk.

coopolon

Not loving this game. Every time I start a new world or character I get killed by the Eater of Worlds. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing that I'm not? I tried the wiki and got no help.

Dice

coopolon said:
Not loving this game. Every time I start a new world or character I get killed by the Eater of Worlds. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing that I'm not? I tried the wiki and got no help.
Doesn't make sense. What version of the game does the title screen say you have?

atre324

Retro said:
So my plan at this point, from Left to Right:

But the number one rule for building has been "Don't fall in love with it." This game has already had, what, two or three decent content patches? I think I read somewhere that the two guys who made it just relocated to live and work together, so there will probably be a ton of content in the near future too.

So if they add some amazing new feature, I'm prepared to start over. Probably use less Dungeon Brick though, it's such a bitch to harvest in bulk.

That sounds like a huge amount of stuff to add, I could see doing that all over time but I kinda worry about NPCs relocating to places they're not supposed to be. I know they tend to pick a favorite one if there are open rooms, although I guess as you're building you can take care not to make each room "acceptable" to NPCs to make them stay wehre they are.

I really hope that in the future, they let you have multiple copies of the same NPC or the ability to set an NPCs room manually.

I guess my problem with building so far is that I haven't really been inspired to build interesting looking facades, most of my stuff is decently well decorated inside but the rooms are just boxes for the most part. I almost want to keep my current home with all the NPCs in it, and then just build a huge empty city all around it.

InertiaXr

Retro said:
The ocean was originally much higher, but I dug out that entire valley (edited out for the sake of size but you can see it on the overview map), dumped a bunch of sand in it, and flooded all of it up to my dam height.

Could you describe how exactly you do this? I'm not sure I understand how you got water to flood up to reach your dam height, besides using buckets which I'm sure not going to do for a giant ocean.

Vitet

Dice said:
I made it up in the sky.

http://i.min.us/iYbp4.jpg[IMG]

It's cool when jungle enemies spawn in there. They mostly do that in the day time.

Now to build my castle above it.[/QUOTE]
Now you can travel through space
[IMG]http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/images_2/TheFountainMoviePoster.jpg

Neverfade

coopolon said:
So Terraria. Sounds like fun. Start the game, start cutting down some trees planning on building a house. 30 seconds into my first game ever with my first character a giant fucking worm called Eater of Worlds shoots out of the ground killing me and this friendly guy standing next to me called Guide.

I talked about this in one of my first posts (this page or the last I think) about the same thing happening to me!

Neverfade said:
I talked about this in one of my first posts (this page or the last I think) about the same thing happening to me!

It's a brutal world now, get used to it.

:p

But yeah, that's not normal - Eater of Worlds is the second tier level boss (of 3) and he shouldn't be bothering you early on.

coopolon

Alright, big damn worm went away after completely deleting everything and redownloading. Now I can chop down more than three trees before getting decapitated.

At first I thought, "Holy cow this game is hardcore. You're faced with a giant monster you can do hardly any damage to within a minute of starting it."

Daigoro

coopolon said:
Alright, big damn worm went away after completely deleting everything and redownloading. Now I can chop down more than three trees before getting decapitated.

At first I thought, "Holy cow this game is hardcore. You're faced with a giant monster you can do hardly any damage to within a minute of starting it."

that got me laughing. sounds so brutal. funny bug.

Neverfade said:
Luckily he hasn't come back. But Eyeballfacefucker has kicked my ass a couple times now.

Once you get a certain amount of hearts (10?) he shows up and will start to kick your ass about every other night until you kill him once. A lot of people recommend shurikens for taking him down if your other gear isn't so great.

Neverfade

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Once you get a certain amount of hearts (10?) he shows up and will start to kick your ass about every other night until you kill him once. A lot of people recommend shurikens for taking him down if your other gear isn't so great.
That's been the theoretical plan thus far. I wish there was a straight up potion hotkey though. Would make my life so much easier.

Dice

Neverfade said:
That's been the theoretical plan thus far. I wish there was a straight up potion hotkey though. Would make my life so much easier.
Put potions next to your weapon and use mousewheel to switch between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom