• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Thanks for the compliments guys. I haven't even tried multi-player yet.

atre324 said:
That sounds like a huge amount of stuff to add, I could see doing that all over time but I kinda worry about NPCs relocating to places they're not supposed to be. I know they tend to pick a favorite one if there are open rooms, although I guess as you're building you can take care not to make each room "acceptable" to NPCs to make them stay wehre they are.

I purposely make sure rooms are unacceptable except the ones I want them to move into. A lot of my rooms have chunks of back wall missing for windows, and from what I've read (and seen, so far) NPCs won't consider those as safe.

Quest NPCs are something they've commented on a lot, and with all of these people running around, I have to hope they are adding some kind of NPC management system. What would be really cool is if each NPC sold a decorative item that allowed you to designate where they live by placing that object in the room. Maybe the guide has a desk, the nurse a little medicine cabinet, etc. Then you could just plop the item there and they'd move into just that space eventually.

I really do just want more NPCs though, each NPC is a reason to build a new structure. I've got my Merchant, Arms Dealer and Clother theoretically moving into one large tower, but I'm not happy that each is kind of shoved into a small room... so I'm thinking I might just make a little shop for just the merchant over my warehouse and then put the Arms Dealer and Clothier somewhere new (not sure where since I've put myself between a Dam and a Corruption, but if there's one thing I can do with Terrarria, it's expand).

Retro

Neverfade said:
We demand FRAPs + Time Lapse! :D

That'd be terribly boring. I don't set out with any specific plan, so I just sort of... try things, tear them down, try new things, etc. And then there's the hours of digging and filling in my warp pipes....

Neverfade

Awww.

In other news, I need some more guidance. I finally defeated the Eye. I have full Gold sets. I have Grappling Hook, Starfury, Feral Claws, Magic Mirror, Ankh of the Wind, and a few other items. I have enough Demonite for a sword, axe, or bow and that's it!

Any hints of what to explore next?

Retro

Neverfade said:
Awww.

In other news, I need some more guidance. I finally defeated the Eye. I have full Gold sets. I have Grappling Hook, Starfury, Feral Claws, Magic Mirror, Ankh of the Wind, and a few other items. I have enough Demonite for a sword, axe, or bow and that's it!

I saved my Dungeon for last after I had already gotten a full Molten Set... I kind of stomped through it, and the enemies were more annoying than challenging. Definitely do the Dungeon before you tackle Hell.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Retro said:
Definitely do the Dungeon before you tackle Hell.
Yeah you definitely want a cobalt shield in hell, especially with the increased spawn rate.

atre324

Neverfade said:
Awww.

Go to the corruption and dig (need nightmare pick or better) or dynamite down to the shadow orb then smash it, then wait around until a meteor falls (should be within a day or so) and go mine that... carefully, since meteor ore hurts you when it touches you. You can use dynamite to mine it faster. If you've got a nightmare pick you can go mine downward until you find water and lava, and mine the obsidian that forms when they touch in order to make an obsidian skull which prevents damage from meteor ore.

I'd use the meteor ore to make a phaseblade first, then make armor (you can go start a new world and smash 1 orb to make a meteor fall there fast, if you need more ore). Then you can either farm the jungle for armor (you can also skip phaseblade and make a blade of grass instead) or start digging down to hell for hellstone.

Neverfade

Retro said:
I saved my Dungeon for last after I had already gotten a full Molten Set... I kind of stomped through it, and the enemies were more annoying than challenging. Definitely do the Dungeon before you tackle Hell.

I think I'm not ready for either of those yet, am I? Isn't the Eater of Worlds guy the second boss?

Dice

A phaseblade is nice, but I think the staff of regrowth has it beat. I'd look around the jungle more (it is obvious by the items that you have spent time there) for one of those and get the equipment for a ivy whip while you're at it since it's way better than the grappling hook. If you handle the jungle well and you're patient, you can farm the jungle armor which you might never switch out from. I prefer it to the molten set because the defense is good enough and it lets me use rocket boots a lot more easily.

Once you have those, you can mess around with bosses and whatnot, although you may want to fight eater of worlds now just to get a better pick, but with lesser armor you'll want potions ready for real. Definitely get some for of vertical-movement assistance before entering the dungeon.

Neverfade

atre324 said:
Go to the corruption and dig (need nightmare pick or better) or dynamite down to the shadow orb then smash it, then wait around until a meteor falls (should be within a day or so) and go mine that... carefully, since meteor ore hurts you when it touches you. You can use dynamite to mine it faster. If you've got a nightmare pick you can go mine downward until you find water and lava, and mine the obsidian that forms when they touch in order to make an obsidian skull which prevents damage from meteor ore.

I'd use the meteor ore to make a phaseblade first, then make armor (you can go start a new world and smash 1 orb to make a meteor fall there fast, if you need more ore). Then you can either farm the jungle for armor (you can also skip phaseblade and make a blade of grass instead) or start digging down to hell for hellstone.

Thanks for the advice....but I'm confused. The wiki says I need scales from Eater to make the next pickaxe....but I need the pickaxe to smash the orbs and summon him. Whaaaaaa...

atre324

ah ok, forgot you needed shadow scales. Since you've already beaten a boss a dryad should show up, you can buy purification powder from her to get to the orb, or buy dynamite from the demolitionist, then you can smash the orb with a hammer.

I'd probably farm the jungle for a staff of regrowth or blade of grass as has been suggested, and use your meteor ore for armor. Eater of Worlds will spawn after you smash 3 orbs, so once you're geared up a little you can go for it.

If you're having trouble mining the meteor without taking too much damage I guess you could go and try to beat Eater of Worlds for a nightmare pick so you can go make an obsidian skull, or if you're just feeling daring lol

Sophia

Neverfade said:
Thanks for the advice....but I'm confused. The wiki says I need scales from Eater to make the next pickaxe....but I need the pickaxe to smash the orbs and summon him. Whaaaaaa...

The Eater of Worlds can be summoned by Worm Food. Which can be made using 30 Vile Powder (from Vile Mushrooms) and 15 Rotten Chunks at any Demon Altair.

Neverfade

Had to cheese that fight. Thankfully I found a Nature's Gift beforehand. No one can stop the spawn zerg. A shame, that fight is in no way fun. :/

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Neverfade said:
Had to cheese that fight. Thankfully I found a Nature's Gift beforehand. No one can stop the spawn zerg. A shame, that fight is in no way fun. :/

Really? I love all the boss fights. Once, my friends and I decided to go all out and just constantly summon bosses until we ran out of items. I think we fought 2 eater of worlds and 5 Eye of Cthulus. Obviously, not all at the same time, but as soon as one died, we summoned the next one.

We're planning to do a big boss brawl soon... Skeletron, Eater, and the Eye. I know there's Youtube vids of people trying that. :p

Bog

Junior Ace
Some friends and I have been playing this, and I'm trying to keep the experience as pure as possible by not reading anything about it, but I think we've hit a bit of a wall. We've beaten the eye boss, the worm boss, Skeletron, the dungeon, the jungle and have the molten armor/items. Is there anything left to do at this point? We're loving the game but think we're running out of objectives.

Dice

Bog said:
Some friends and I have been playing this, and I'm trying to keep the experience as pure as possible by not reading anything about it, but I think we've hit a bit of a wall. We've beaten the eye boss, the worm boss, Skeletron, the dungeon, the jungle and have the molten armor/items. Is there anything left to do at this point? We're loving the game but think we're running out of objectives.
Build something amazing.

Retro

From http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/one-month-a-milestone.30213/

TLDR: Hardcore Mode with perma-death, coming soon.

As for what we want a game to be like, In my last Dev Blog I mentioned some things you could look forward to possibly be in 1.0.5. I would like to share some of the changelog items with you. Not all, mind you, as we like to keep some of it as a surprise of course. We are hoping everyone starts to see the concept for the game as we have envisioned it more and more with every update. As the game starts to come together and become more intuitive, lengthy and purposeful, we hope to quell any doubts some people have that the game will not be able to keep its 'staying power' and 'replayablity'.

To that end, We give you, Hardcore Mode.
I Mentioned it briefly in a tweet, to let everyone know it was on its way. I can verify now that It will be in 1.0.5 and it will offer to those who find themselves wanting more to do in Terraria, an option at just that. Yes, it will be an 'option' and wont be forced on everyone.
Here are a few things I can say about it.

* Its a Character Based option, so your HCM character can move between servers. Be careful though. As a non-HCM players grief can end your run quite easily
* Its set at character creation and can not be toggled off for that character afterward.
* If you Die, thats it, game over. You must start a new Character at that point. Your world however will not be effected by this. So this means you may start a new HC mode character and utilize the house/chests your last character left behind. You will also see a gravestone where your old character met his fate.
* It really changes the way you play the game, as every action could be your last. Caution is a good thing. Also, There is more of a sense of accomplishment as you play.

Now, for those of you who want to know what else is coming, here are a few tidbits from the change log.

* Lighting code has been optimized to increase performance.
* Servers now hibernate when no players are connected.
* Bats, Hornets, and Eyeballs no longer enter water.
* Slimes now float in water.
* Spam detection is less aggressive.
* New Item - Hellfire Arrow. (Boom!)

Also, Mr. Guide has become a friend to all new players. A new feature for this helpful individual, is that now he can tell you what specific items that you 'show him' are for. This should assist new players in discovering new recipes they can't yet make.

Furthermore, for those of you who like to know whats going on in your server, and are tired of simply seeing "MrMan was slain..." when someone else dies , will now have the satisfaction of seeing the likes of the following;
"Blue fell to his death." or "Blue had his head ripped off by a Green Slime."

PvP also becomes more interesting (and satisfying) with those kinds of specific death messages. :]
Lastly I want to mention that Redigit has laid the framework for having NPC shops change their inventory after certain world events. It isn't certain yet it the new feature will be implemented in 1.0.5 or not, but its something you can all look forward to.

Overall, we here at Re-Logic feel that offering to our players new interesting things to see and do, is the best way to keep them happy. And, by far, your happiness is important to us. 1.0.4 was hailed by almost all fans as a success, and we hope 1.0.5 will be as well. We have yet to set a date for that update, but more and more each day new things find their way into the change-log.

Dice

* Bats, Hornets, and Eyeballs no longer enter water.
Finally

* Slimes now float in water.
Funny, and makes water even less of a pain.

* New Item - Hellfire Arrow. (Boom!)
Yes! A kickass use for all this extra hellstone and making bows relevant again. If it blows up rock I have a new favorite way it dig through a wall.

Dreavus

I'm really not a fan of hardcore mode, I'm glad it's optional.

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in a game like this. Dying is the same except you have to remake your guy (kind of a waste of time; it's not like there are classes or anything, just some rudimentary appearance stuff) and you lose all the items you had on you (but keep everything else you had sitting in chests?).

I see where it's coming from, and I know they're trying to add some "danger" to exploration, but it just doesn't seem to make sense in a game that's built entirely around equipment, with no level-ups or anything. It'd be like in Monster Hunter if you die you DIE FOR REAL!... except you keep all the other armor back at town and only lose the items you had on you, making it a minor inconvenience if you really liked that one armor set.

I've never been a fan of hardcore modes in other games either so I suppose that's something (but strangely, I loved trying it in Torchlight!)

I can see hardcore as a fun playthrough on a secondary character. On my main I crafted a set of every armor for the hell of it, there's really no reason to make another character... this somewhat remedies that.

I think they should go one step further and make it impossible to equip your HCC in anything other than gear he collects himself. Give him a cool tag or glow so everyone can see he's HC to. Then you can really pimp him around MP servers when you have a full molten set.

L00P said:
Seriously, lava is what kills me in this game and in minecraft

It's not too hard to avoid lava in this game I feel as long as your cautious about mobs. Beyond random Cuthulhu spawns early on and as long as you find a magic mirror early enough I don't think it would be too rough in hc.

Dreavus

Houston3000 said:
I can see hardcore as a fun playthrough on a secondary character. On my main I crafted a set of every armor for the hell of it, there's really no reason to make another character... this somewhat remedies that.

I think they should go one step further and make it impossible to equip your HCC in anything other than gear he collects himself. Give him a cool tag or glow so everyone can see he's HC to. Then you can really pimp him around MP servers when you have a full molten set.

Something like that I might be able to get behind. Somehow tying the progression of the character to the character, despite there being no stats other than max health and max mana, would be one way to make it more exciting.

Retro

I fail to see the allure of Hardcore mode either without some kind of special reward or feature attached to using it. I mean, this game doesn't have levels (nor do I want it to) and equipment is produced easily enough that you could quite easily put together another set from just a bit of raw material.

The only thing that would suck about dying in Hardcore mode is losing accessories like Cloud in a Jar or Cobalt Shield, though I've found plenty of both and have quite a few stockpiled (for no reason other than I'm a packrat and eventually I'd like to give stuff to new players on a GAF server).

It needs something extra that only Hardcore players get... but I'm not sure what.

Soule

Hmmm was farming for Sunfury for ages and kept getting that other magic drop that I don't really care about but I suppose is kinda cool. Was starting to get frustrated then when I stopped picking stuff up I checked my bags and apparently I have 2 in there.

Heh, things were better than expected :)

Grinchy

Banned
Retro said:
I fail to see the allure of Hardcore mode either without some kind of special reward or feature attached to using it. I mean, this game doesn't have levels (nor do I want it to) and equipment is produced easily enough that you could quite easily put together another set from just a bit of raw material.

The only thing that would suck about dying in Hardcore mode is losing accessories like Cloud in a Jar or Cobalt Shield, though I've found plenty of both and have quite a few stockpiled (for no reason other than I'm a packrat and eventually I'd like to give stuff to new players on a GAF server).

It needs something extra that only Hardcore players get... but I'm not sure what.
Yep...I don't know what they should do about rewards for hardcore players or if they should even do so. What I do know is that I really don't feel like playing this game in hardcore mode. If it had launched with this as its normal gameplay, and they later patched in "easy mode" then I'd stick with the hardcore. But I'm too used to being able to die with my inventory at this point. It's a challenge I'm just not looking for.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
They updated their Dev Blog w/ a little more info about the next update.

Summary:
-Reiterating what Hardcore Mode is, nothing new added/explained.
-Pic of a new monster, looks like a flying red demon/gargoyle.
-Revamped alchemy system. As they mentioned previously, potions now give buffs. He didn't say what buffs, but he posted some screens of the buffs in action, and told us to guess.

From what I can tell... I see the following buffs in action:

Nightvision (Doesnt make it like daylight, but still better than going around w/o a torch)
Aim accuracy?
Speed boost?
Walk on ceilings
Detection (I guess to help look for ores/treasure)

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-0-5-this-is-some-kind-of-voodoo.31611/

EDIT: Looks like they put up a preview video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EgEnivvkY

Soule

Cool preview vid but I really should take a break, staking out all the patches each time isn't good and it feels like too little to me. A few months away or whatever and coming back to all these little patches added up would be a great surprise to see how it's developed.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
parasight said:
Looks like the biggest patch yet. They just keep getting better. The new weapons looked pretty sweet. Can't wait till they add some real PVP modes. We really need a GAF server.

Blue also posted this on the forums:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/2011-06-19_00004-jpg

Cactus and golden trident. Looks like the desert biome is going to be more interesting.

Oh cool, I want a trident.

We haven't had a server where GAF got together yet?

Dice said:
Aside from everything else, kickass new music!

Oh, so I wasn't hallucinating! I thought it was new music. :p

anddo0

MrDanger88 said:
This game a good single player? Don't really like playing with anyone anymore.

I got it SP. It's definitely worth it.

Man that new patch looks great. I'm only a week into this game. I'm glad I got it when I did.

Soule

On the note of multiplayer, I'd be playing much much more if they got some dedicated servers going. I remember reading it was in their plans but really wish they'd expedite the issue.

Billen

Banned
Soule said:
On the note of multiplayer, I'd be playing much much more if they got some dedicated servers going. I remember reading it was in their plans but really wish they'd expedite the issue.

They as in the developer? Since there are loads ofd dedicated servers out there, you hardly lack places to go.

Soule

Billen said:
They as in the developer? Since there are loads ofd dedicated servers out there, you hardly lack places to go.
OK, well then I'd like them to integrate it well so I don't have to go search on forums and whatnot for specific IP addresses to visit them. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I think it's a pretty poor set up at the moment, surely they could do improve it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MrDanger88 said:
Is there any other point to this game besides crafting finely tuned tunnels? I mean Im having a lot of fun, but is this it?
You can eventually get a lot of loot and fight bosses.

Retro

Nirolak said:
You can eventually get a lot of loot and fight bosses.

And build shit... don't forget the building of shit;

rdICp.jpg

So, I wrapped up all of the stuff I had planned to do with my Storage World, "Sanctuary". All of the NPCs have moved into their correct houses and I've moved all of my loot (basically one of everything except the Harpoon and a couple colors of Phaseblades).

From Left to Right on the above map, you have...

(Click for Full Size)

NEW Hunting Lodge
Arms Dealer
Bows & Guns (plus ammo)
Trophies (anything enemies drop; lenses, meat, stingers, etc.)

The big empty space next to the lodge used to be corrupted, but I cleared it out. You can still see the wall I made to keep it from spreading back in.

NEW Mage's Tower
Accessories
"Magic Items" (any mana-using weapon, Magic Mirrors, orbs of lights, etc.)

I was planning to make this more elaborate,but I don't need that much storage for accessories (A chest at most) or Magic Items (again, about a chest and a half if I spread things out). Obviously I have room for expansion, but I don't think they're going to add another 30 'magic' items any time soon.

I do want to give it a cooler looking spire, especially considering the badass demon horn /earwig thing going on next door at the Armory. I feel like a Mage Tower should be taller and spindly. Also, the bridge between the two isn't finished yet, it's just some copper bricks now but I'd like to have something decorative and wood in there. Here's something I had from a previous world, though there's no way it will fit in that space;

A8MHR.jpg

There's a floating island just above this and the next tower. I was toying with the idea of making an inverted Mage's Tower (ala SotN), but it would look like shit (no trees, books would all be right-side up, etc.) so no dice on that.

NEW Armory Tower
Armor (Lower level)
Weapons (Upper levels)
Private Residence (Top)

I have waaaay too much storage here; I'm only using 3 of the 12 chests I have for armor, maybe 2 of the 4 I have for weapons. In the full size image, the armor is in the paired chests at the bottom and weapons at the single chests at the top. The two chests at the top are just tool storage until I build a tool shed somewhere out in the woods.

-Terraced Gardens-
(Future space for fruit trees, decorative plants)
Well leading down to warp pipes and underground tunnels. I will likely fill this area in and expand the Greenhouse towards the left as new trees are added.

-Greenhouse-
Jungle/Regular/Corrupted trees
Sunflowers
(Can expand left for additional tree styles if needed, next patch should add Cacti so I'll want one of of those).

Herbalist's Shop
Dryad (Upper level)
Mushroom / Seed / Plant storage (lower level)
Mushroom Farm (basement)

(Click for Full Size)

NEW Tower of the Forge
Forges, Anvils, Work Benches (upper level)
Crafting Materials (lower level)
Demon Altar (basement)

I like the idea of having smokestacks on this building. In case anyone is wondering, the chests are Common Ore, Common Bars, Rare Ore, Rare Bars. I'm thinking I might condense some of that, move the Gems up to this area, and some leather / cloth too...

NEW Merchant's Tower
Clothier (Upper level) and Merchant (lower level)
Costume Shop (Upper level)
General Goods (lower level)
Warehouse (basement)

Those 3 chests under the Clothier's apartment (I know they don't use beds, but I like the illusion) are half way full, I was lucky to get a lot of the Ninja stuff just killing King Slimes in my various worlds. Poor Merchant doesn't have a bed, but he has more room to wander around so... fuck him.

Halls of Healing
Nurse
Potions (5 stacks of each variety)

Town Archives
Guide

Dam & Engineer's Office
Demolitionist
Explosives Storage

I was thinking that I'm not a fan of having my spawn point / private storage stuck at the top of a tower. So here's what I'm thinking I'll do next;

l4TNc.jpg

I was thinking I'd flatten out the land that used to be corrupted, maybe dig a small area of water out for a cool bridge, and then plant trees. I had originally planned to build a massive stone bridge over the corrupting, but it's too high for that and I don't feel like stripping out huge chunks of land. The hill I drew the palace on is actually the lowest of three good-sized hills in the corrupted area, so... yeah.

I was thinking I'd stick with simple grey bricks and use dungeon walls to color the rooms up. That way I don't need to use a different style of bricks to make it a residence. I do want a courtyard with trees in the middle and lots of fountains and stuff. I haven't really made a luxurious area yet, so that's something to try.

Oh, and that island palace over my dungeon and its lighthouse... and they're adding a bunch of new stuff in the next patch that I'll want to incorporate... Alchemy is getting a boost, so I wonder where the ingredients will come from if not new plant-life? I know there are cacti since somebody found a screenshot of the new desert biome, so that's at least one new kind of tree I'll need to put in the Greenhouse...

One would think "God damn it, I just finished my awesome town and now I need to make room for new stuff", but I love the idea of an ever-evolving city to integrate new content. Plus, it's new shit, who can be upset about that?

Retro, you're insane... all that stuff is amazing! I haven't played in a couple of weeks but when I inevitably have some free time to sit down I'd love to build an entire town instead of just a single large castle. I feel like I'd have to create a new world for it all though and moving my entire collection of blocks would be challenging and, especially if I don't deconstruct my current castle, I doubt I'd have enough materials without farming for awhile.

Plus, how do you force an NPC to move into a specific room?

Retro

Houston3000 said:
Retro, you're insane... all that stuff is amazing! I haven't played in a couple of weeks but when I inevitably have some free time to sit down I'd love to build an entire town instead of just a single large castle. I feel like I'd have to create a new world for it all though and moving my entire collection of blocks would be challenging and, especially if I don't deconstruct my current castle, I doubt I'd have enough materials without farming for awhile.

I spent a ton of time strip-mining my dungeons. You can't get the bricks with Dynamite, but you can get the background stuff if you make some cracks in it first.

Definitely get Terrafirma or the other map viewers to find deposits of clay (if you want a lot of red brick, that is). Most of my bricks I've got just from saving everything I tear out to dig tunnels to the Dungeon, Jungle and Hell.

Worst case scenario, I think you can copy your world files, change the name slightly, and load it as a new world... I dunno if it would work, but in theory you could duplicate that way...but that's kind of cheating. Then again, if you just want to build, who cares where the materials come from?

Houston3000 said:
Plus, how do you force an NPC to move into a specific room?

Stagger their requirements so only one condition is met at a time, and only build one safe room at a time. That way, only one NPC moves in and only the one who's requirements you're meeting.

Guide is first, since he takes the first available room (even yours, if you let him).

Nurse is second, since you'll probably have more health than the minimum she requires (I think it's like 5 hearts?).

Merchant is third, you have to keep less than 50 silver coins in your inventory.

Druid needs you to beat a boss... usually Eater of Worlds of Eye of Cthulu are the first ones you meet, and you need to break Shadow Orbs to get the Eater of Worlds to spawn. The eye, you can just log out or let him kill you.

Demolitionist and Arms Dealer both show up when you carry a bomb / gun, respectively. Just don't carry any of that if you have an open room.

Clothier is last, just leave an open room and then go kill Skeletron.

If you screw up, you can always kill the NPC off (wait for night and lock them in a room with zombies... cruel, but it works).

I've been playing on single player off and on and finally found the corruption/devourer last night. Squared off and barely won the fight. What a rush! Got my first magic items and am looking forward to finishing off my mineshaft down to hell. Any tips on dealing with the little imp bastards that spawn down there? It's making finishing up that mineshaft a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom