• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Danexmurder said:
I've been playing on single player off and on and finally found the corruption/devourer last night. Squared off and barely won the fight. What a rush! Got my first magic items and am looking forward to finishing off my mineshaft down to hell. Any tips on dealing with the little imp bastards that spawn down there? It's making finishing up that mineshaft a pain.

Dig/build in such a way that they don't have any platforms to spawn on. If you're digging down and there's open spaces to the side, dig up and fill 'em in with sand (since you can just click and it drops down automatically). If they don't have anywhere flat to spawn, they won't spawn.

My first trip out into Hell (not just digging down), I build a long walkway with nothing above or below it. The only place they could spawn was to the left or right, making their fireballs easier to hit and destroy. Then you just run over and kill 'em.

The spawn rate is way up since then, but even so I think this tactic would work.

Retro said:
Dig/build in such a way that they don't have any platforms to spawn on. If you're digging down and there's open spaces to the side, dig up and fill 'em in with sand (since you can just click and it drops down automatically). If they don't have anywhere flat to spawn, they won't spawn.

My first trip out into Hell (not just digging down), I build a long walkway with nothing above or below it. The only place they could spawn was to the left or right, making their fireballs easier to hit and destroy. Then you just run over and kill 'em.

The spawn rate is way up since then, but even so I think this tactic would work.

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

vareon

Retro said:
Stagger their requirements so only one condition is met at a time, and only build one safe room at a time. That way, only one NPC moves in and only the one who's requirements you're meeting.

Guide is first, since he takes the first available room (even yours, if you let him).

Nurse is second, since you'll probably have more health than the minimum she requires (I think it's like 5 hearts?).

Merchant is third, you have to keep less than 50 silver coins in your inventory.

Druid needs you to beat a boss... usually Eater of Worlds of Eye of Cthulu are the first ones you meet, and you need to break Shadow Orbs to get the Eater of Worlds to spawn. The eye, you can just log out or let him kill you.

Demolitionist and Arms Dealer both show up when you carry a bomb / gun, respectively. Just don't carry any of that if you have an open room.

Clothier is last, just leave an open room and then go kill Skeletron.

If you screw up, you can always kill the NPC off (wait for night and lock them in a room with zombies... cruel, but it works).

If they have rooms already, I think you can destroy the room of the NPC (or take its room requirements) you want to relocate and have exactly one other room you want the NPC to move in. It works for me, at least.

Retro

Huggy said:
I really don't feel like constructing anything. You just want to roll a new world after an update anyway.

I'm building in my storage world, which isn't the one I'll likely explore when the next patch hits anyways. I usually start a new world and have fun there, then come back to my 'home world' when I need to drop stuff off in bulk and heal up...

It may be inconvenient, in a way, but I also have a big ass city with organized loot everywhere.

vareon said:
If they have rooms already, I think you can destroy the room of the NPC (or take its room requirements) you want to relocate and have exactly one other room you want the NPC to move in. It works for me, at least.

.... But building a zombie trap and watching them get eaten alive is more fun.

vareon

Retro said:
I'm building in my storage world, which isn't the one I'll likely explore when the next patch hits anyways. I usually start a new world and have fun there, then come back to my 'home world' when I need to drop stuff off in bulk and heal up...

It may be inconvenient, in a way, but I also have a big ass city with organized loot everywhere.

.... But building a zombie trap and watching them get eaten alive is more fun.

Well ok you got me there lol

Retro said:
I spent a ton of time strip-mining my dungeons. You can't get the bricks with Dynamite, but you can get the background stuff if you make some cracks in it first.
Well, in my world I destroyed most of the top of my dungeon like you did. When going through it (since I went through after having full Molten) my main quest was basically to steal every light orb, book, spike, and blue candle for decoration purposes. The thought of doing that again is kind of intimidating but I guess I can just stock up on dynamite and go to town in a new world. I also blew up all the floating island buildings (definitely easier than mining gold and copper :p )

Retro said:
Definitely get Terrafirma or the other map viewers to find deposits of clay (if you want a lot of red brick, that is). Most of my bricks I've got just from saving everything I tear out to dig tunnels to the Dungeon, Jungle and Hell.
Yeah, Terrafirma is great, I posted a link to it earlier in this thread but I mostly use it to take screen shots - haven't really used it to find materials. All the materials I have are just from digging to Hell and building my current tunnel system.

The thing is I have all that shit in tons of chest in my current world, transferring it to a new world to build a city would be a chore. Constantly filling up my inventory/piggy bank and loading back and forth between worlds... bleh

Here's my current castle from a couple pages ago. It's nothing compared to your town but, like I said, I'd hate to tear it down to strip the materials and not really a fan of duping the world but I'll think about it.

(Click For Full Size)

Retro said:
Stagger their requirements so only one condition is met at a time, and only build one safe room at a time. That way, only one NPC moves in and only the one who's requirements you're meeting.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the tip. One suggestion for the developers I read sounded really good, they should implement a single unique decorative item that each NPC sells (medical cabinet for nurse, tome for guide, gun rack for arms dealer, etc) that when placed in a room forces that NPC to live in there if the other conditions are also properly met. Would love if they implemented something like that.

Retro

Houston3000 said:
The thing is I have all that shit in tons of chest in my current world, transferring it to a new world to build a city would be a chore. Constantly filling up my inventory/piggy bank and loading back and forth between worlds... bleh

Yeah, that's why I decided I'd make a Storage World and be done with it, otherwise I was going to have shit spread out all over my 5 worlds without any kind of organization. With my big city map, yeah... I'll have to go to new worlds for the content... but I'll have a place to dump all of my stuff and know where everything is.

Don't get me wrong, on new maps I'll likely build a little castle and have NPCs there too... but it won't be a pretty and creative, it'll be a utilitarian base camp. Dumping stuff there and then carrying it over to the Storage World in bulk is my plan for now.

Houston3000 said:
Here's my current castle from a couple pages ago (it was before I downloaded Terrafirma so don't mind the pasted together image). It's nothing compared to your town but, like I said, I'd hate to tear it down to strip the materials and not really a fan of duping the world but I'll think about it.

Most of that is grey brick though, which you get from raw stone. I tend to just stick that in chests and hoard it until I want to build something... well, actually, I do that with everything, but for items and such that's just me holding stuff to give to GAFers when we get a server going or something.

The hardest thing to move there is the Lava, the rest you can just leave behind and replace on a new world.

Houston3000 said:
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the tip. One suggestion for the developers I read sounded really good, they should implement a single unique decorative item that each NPC sells (medical cabinet for nurse, tome for guide, gun rack for arms dealer, etc) that when placed in a room forces that NPC to live in there if the other conditions are also properly met. Would love if they implemented something like that.

I think I suggested something like that a few pages back. I'd love to see each NPC get their own Bed or something, at the very least.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
Plus, how do you force an NPC to move into a specific room?

If expecting a new NPC: Make it the only free room available.

If moving NPC to a different room: Make its current room "not NPC valid", and make sure the destination room is the only free room available.

EDIT: Oh hell, NVM... for some reason, the last 5 or 6 posts didn't show up for me... Retro answered it. :p

Retro said:
Most of that is grey brick though, which you get from raw stone. I tend to just stick that in chests and hoard it until I want to build something... well, actually, I do that with everything, but for items and such that's just me holding stuff to give to GAFers when we get a server going or something.
Yeah... I'm a fan of the more modest traditional style. If I build a whole city though I'd probably theme my buildings with more colors. As one structure though I didn't want a rainbow castle. It's a bit more than that now as well... like I said, I haven't played in a couple of weeks, but I had really expanded the basement, built a mushroom farm, and started an underground forest grotto. I gotta create a new world anyways though so I can repopulate chests with clothing items or whatever they added last patch and get some jungles in my world maybe.

Exuro

So if I'm reading this right, the reason no NPC's are showing up(only have the merchant) is because I have too many vacant rooms? I have everything available(guns, bombs, all hearts, bosses killed) with a lot of vacant rooms. So I need to say break the table/chairs of all vacant rooms but one to get NPC's to show up?

Retro

Houston3000 said:
Yeah... I'm a fan of the more modest traditional style. If I build a whole city though I'd probably theme my buildings with more colors. As one structure though I didn't want a rainbow castle. It's a bit more than that now as well... like I said, I haven't played in a couple of weeks, but I had really expanded the basement, built a mushroom farm, and started an underground forest grotto. I gotta create a new world anyways though so I can repopulate chests with clothing items or whatever they added last patch and get some jungles in my world maybe.

Yeah, my first castle was pretty traditional too, but I knew once I had a good stockpile of bricks I was going to want to go all out. So much as you can have 'styles' with the Terraria toolkit, I've tried to do a little of everything; some crazy spiked towers, some traditional castle-looking structures, some more gothic-type stuff (hard without curves)... I'd love it if the next patch introduced some more custom blocks / walls, or made Dungeon blocks not completely screw up NPCs.

I'm not a fan of rainbow castles either, that's why I made a rainbow town.. it looks less odd if they're not touching.

I started my world after the last patch. I'm hoping it will retroactively update my world when the next patch hits, but if not I am willing to settle with what I have until my stockpiles are huge and I itch to build a new city.

Exuro said:
So if I'm reading this right, the reason no NPC's are showing up(only have the merchant) is because I have too many vacant rooms? I have everything available(guns, bombs, all hearts, bosses killed) with a lot of vacant rooms. So I need to say break the table/chairs of all vacant rooms but one to get NPC's to show up?

No, a ton of vacant rooms shouldn't be a problem at all, at least not that I'm aware of.

As long as the room has a table, chair (two chairs for the Merchant, last I heard), a light source, solid non-dirt/non-wood platform floors (regular wood is okay, and something like 4 tiles of platform is okay too), solid walls and background walls... that should be enough.

If in doubt, smash some of the rooms and see if they move in. I hadn't heard anything about there being too many rooms causing an issue though.

It needs to be 4 blocks high as well to be considered a room... doors are only 3 blocks high so you need the ceiling to be one block higher than that.

EDIT: See you picture now, I'm not sure honestly :-/

Exuro

Houston3000 said:
It needs to be 4 blocks high as well to be considered a room... doors are only 3 blocks high so you need the ceiling to be one block higher than that.
Well they're two blocks higher unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Retro

Exuro said:

NPCs won't share doors, if there's an NPC on one side of the door, an NPC won't move into the other. So that's why the room directly next to your Guide is vacant. Not sure if that's some kind of cascading problem with the other rooms as well. I think you count as an NPC too, so they won't move into that room next to yours on the ground floor either.

None of the rooms have two chairs either, which is a requirement for the Merchant (or it was last I looked). That explains him.

Otherwise, those look like perfectly acceptable rooms. How long have you been waiting? Some times it takes a few game days for people to move in.

Side note: I really really really hope they make some kind of standardized NPC management system, just having people move in whenever they want with only a vague sense of why or why not just isn't doing it. I get that building a town / tower is the fourth thing on their list of things to do (behind Dig, Fight and Explore), but it's getting kind of annoying that NPCs have so much undocumented, unregulated behavior.

I hope they fix that before they start chucking in Quest NPCs.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
NPCs won't share doors, if there's an NPC on one side of the door, an NPC won't move into the other. So that's why the room directly next to your Guide is vacant. Not sure if that's some kind of cascading problem with the other rooms as well. I think you count as an NPC too, so they won't move into that room next to yours on the ground floor either.

None of the rooms have two chairs either, which is a requirement for the Merchant (or it was last I looked). That explains him.

Otherwise, those look like perfectly acceptable rooms. How long have you been waiting? Some times it takes a few game days for people to move in.

That doesn't sound right...

My current NPC housing (the one w/ the Black Mage statue), practically the same amount of rooms as Exuro. The only NPC not pictured is the Arms Dealer (he moved in a little bit after I took this pic), and he uses the left most room on the top floor.

All the NPC rooms have a single chair, and as you can see, at least three NPCs are in a room that shares a door w/ another NPC.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Huh. I was going by what the Wiki said and my own experience with getting people to move in. I stand corrected.

That's okay, but with that being said... I'm not really sure why he's not getting NPCs to move in. From the looks of it, it does look like the size is correct, the rooms seem to be about the same width like my rooms.

I do recall reading on the Terraria forums that there is a bug where NPCs aren't moving in, but the Terraria forums are down right now, so I can't pull up the correct thread (and hopefully a solution).

Retro

charlemagne said:
...you worry me a little.

...I worry me a lot.

I was tinkering around earlier tonight after dinner and decided I don't like the layout of my 'Mage's Tower" where I keep all my accessories and mana-based weapons. So I've taken steps to spiff that up a little bit, make it more symmetrical and fantastical-looking.

I've gotta go dig up some more blue dungeon walls before things can come together though, so I called it a night. I'll probably tinker with it tomorrow and maybe get some pictures of it for you guys.

Then I'm going to work on my island palace over the dungeon, assuming I'm not sick of seeing green bricks. If I'm not feeling it (I was thinking I'd use some Zelda II dungeons as a model), I may just poke around in the corruption with some Purification Powder and start building up the hill for my grand palace. I was thinking tonight that a Grey Brick with bands of Silver and Gold brick throughout might look neat.

I had a meteorite come down too, so I could hammer at that and work on completing my Phaseblade collection.

And there might be a patch soon too, hopefully. So... yeah.... I knew going in this would be the best $10 I ever spent. Games where you can edit stuff > games where you can't.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy crap Retro, you are a legend for the children.

I just got back from vacation, can't believe the ferocity of updates to this thing...

Retro

Hawkian said:
Holy crap Retro, you are a legend for the children.

I just got back from vacation, can't believe the ferocity of updates to this thing...

Heh, thanks. I've seen some massive fortresses and stuff up at their (currently non-existent) forums, but I'm happy with my village approach.

As for the updates, there should be another one dropping soon. That last one added all the vanity items and the above ground jungles... next one should add a bit too from what people have spotted in the sneak preview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EgEnivvkY&hd=1

Buffs! And Alchemy! And at least three new weapons... and new arrows!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Heh, thanks. I've seen some massive fortresses and stuff up at their (currently non-existent) forums, but I'm happy with my village approach.

As for the updates, there should be another one dropping soon. That last one added all the vanity items and the above ground jungles... next one should add a bit too from what people have spotted in the sneak preview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EgEnivvkY&hd=1

Buffs! And Alchemy! And at least three new weapons... and new arrows!

Blue tweeted a few hours ago that there's more than 50 new items in the next update.

Enco

HaRyu said:
Blue tweeted a few hours ago that there's more than 50 new items in the next update.
Can't wait.

Other people really need to take note of how to make good updates (hint, hint).

DarkKyo

HaRyu said:
Daaamn... when I finally come back to this game there is going to be so much new content to experience!

Retro

Decided to make a cooler 'Mage Tower' for my accessories and magical items. We know there will be at least one new spell, so... it won't be quite so empty. I'm thinking I might turn my Herbalist into just a plant storage shop or something and move my alchemy stuff to the mage tower. That way I have the Hospital for potion storage and then something closer to my spawn point (such as it is, until I move it) for when I want pots.

m0wbh.jpg

Yup...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love the organic look you have going in that tower.

Gonna have to step up my glass city in light of your shining awesome.

Retro

Hawkian said:
I love the organic look you have going in that tower.

Thanks. I think I'm going to change the signs to read "Tower of Thorns" and add some more gnarly twisted bits. It really worked out better than I thought and is a HUGE leap in coolness beyond the ho-hum tower I had before.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Woohoo, new update. No idea whether thats already 1.05, cant find any patch notes at the moment.

Edit: Yup! 1.05! Says so in the title screen. That was fast :)

Chinner

Banned
Toma said:
Woohoo, new update. No idea whether thats already 1.05, cant find any patch notes at the moment.
lol
NPCs
New Enemy - Lava slime, this enemy leaves behind lava on death
New Enemy - Hellbat
New Enemy - Demon
New Enemy - Jellyfish (Two variations, Pink and Blue)
New Enemy - Shark
New Enemy - Vulture
New Enemy - Crab
New Enemy - Antlion
Changed the way worm enemies spawn.
Bats, Hornets, and Eyeballs no longer enter water.
Slimes now float in water.
Only one giant slime will appear at a time.
The Guide now seems quite knowledgeable in what an item can be made into if you show it to him.
NPC shops now sell some items on certain nights, or after certain events.
Devourers should no longer gain random other enemies as its head.
The Nurse now charges the correct amount for healing.
Bats now have a death sound effect.
Talking to the old man at night will give the player a warning now before summoning the dungeon boss.
Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.
Enemy coin drops have been adjusted.
Man Eaters and Snatchers are no longer effected by knockback and can attack through walls.
Eater of Souls’ and Hornet AI has been improved.
Enemies now take up different amount of *slots* depending on AI style and strength. This will help balance conditions when there are lots of strong monsters spawned at once, such as Imps and Bone Serpents.
Fish are no longer upside-down when out of water.
Green slimes have been weakend so that start players can deal with them more easily.
Slimes and Flying enemies no longer make a splash sound when hitting water.
Items of “Blue Rarity” or higher no longer burn up in lava.
Burning Skull has been renamed to Cursed Skull, and given different AI.
Enemy caster’s have had their rate of fire slowed down.
Meteor heads have less health, do more damage, and move slower.
There are now slight size variations to the Eater of Souls and the Angry Bones.
Skeletron has less defense and health.

Items
New Feature : Buffs activated by Using Potions. Right click a buff to remove it from yourself.
New Item : Hellfire Arrow.
New Item : Sandgun.
New Item : Guide Voodoo Doll.
New Vanity Items : Familiar Wig, Shirt, Pants to be worn in Social slots to “Hide your Armor”.
New Vanity Items : Doctors Shirt and Pants.
New Item : Diving Helmet.
New Item : Night’s Edge
New Item : Dark Lance
New Item : Demon Scythe
New Item : Trident
New Item : Coral
New Item : Cactus
New Item : Spear
New Item : Glowstick
New Item : Sticky Glowstick
New Item : Throwing Knife
New Item : Poison Knife
New Item : Silver Bullet
New Item : Wooden Boomerang
New Item : Blowpipe
New Item : Seed (Ammo for Blowpipe)
New Item : Obsidian Skin Potion
New Item : Regeneration Potion
New Item : Swiftness Potion
New Item : Gills Potion
New Item : Defense Potion
New Item : Mana Regeneration Potion
New Item : Magic Power Potion
New Item : Featherfall potion
New Item : Spelunker Potion
New Item : Invisibility Potion
New Item : Shine Potion
New Item : Night Owl Potion
New Item : Battle Potion
New Item : Thorns Potion
New Item : Archery Potion
New Item : Water Walking Potion
New Item : Hunter Potion
New Item : Gravitation Potion
New Item : Daybloom
New Item : Daybloom Seeds
New Item : Moonglow
New Item : Moonglow Seeds
New Item : Blinkroot
New Item : Blinkroot Seeds
New Item : Deathweed
New Item : Deathweed Seeds
New Item : Waterleaf
New Item : Waterleaf Seeds
New Item : Fireblossom
New Item : Fireblossom Seeds
New Item : Shark Fin
New Item : Feather
New Item : Gold Chest
New Item : Bottled Water
New Item : Tombstone
New Item : Illegal Gun Parts
New Item : Antlion Mandible
The Silver Short swords recipe has been corrected, it is now craftable.
Torches and candles no longer work when wet.
Destroying a placed sign while you are reading it will no longer cause your character to become frozen.
Rocket boots no longer require mana. They will provide lift for 1 second and recharge every time the player touches the ground or uses grapple. Lift speed has been slightly increased to offset loss of long flights. This makes the boots more viable for caster Characters.
The explosion animation for bombs is now correctly displayed in multiplayer.
There is now a message pop-up when the player receives an item.
Filled Buckets may no longer be emptied into solid ground.
Pots in the underworld now have a chance to drop hellfire arrows.
Handgun and Phoenix Blaster have been reduced in size.
Lowered the knockback of Muramasa.
Reduced the damage of the Blue Moon.
Flintlock Pistol and Musket have increased damage.
Only normal trees drop acorns.
Falling sand clumps are no longer carried by magic missiles/flamelash.
Jungle armor is no longer a drop. It is a craftable set.
Magic Mirror now requires mana to be used.
Harpoon and Maces now correctly show the player’s arm animation.
The arms dealer will sell unholy arrows at night after the Eater of Worlds has been defeated.
Space Gun does more damage, but only penetrates 2 enemies.

Server
Spam detection is less aggressive.
Increase multiplayer security.
Fixed a bug that could crash the server when the max amount of clients are connected.
Added an option to enable additional cheat protection for servers.
Servers now hibernate when no players are connected.
Blood Moons now stop correctly if time is changed to day by the server.

Game Interface
Upon death, A more specific death message will appear for other players, so they know how you died.
The crafting and armor interface text will fade out when an item tooltip is in front of it.
The Hot Bar now shows the name of the selected item.
PVP now requires 5 seconds between Activation and Deactivation and visa versa to prevent PVP spam. The same cooldown is in effect for Team Changing as well.
Added hotkeys for quickly drinking healing, mana, and buff potions.The healing/mana potion you use is based on the same principle arrows are. Top-Left most item first. The buff potions are all used at once.
Holding right click on an empty space in the inventory will no longer make a sound effect as if something was there to be picked up.
Defense totals are now shown in your inventory.

World Gen
Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen. (Requires new world.)
Oceans are now slightly larger and generation layout has been improved. (Requires new world.)
Cactus now grow on sand.
Coral now grows in the ocean.
Chests can now spawn near the surface of the world. They will contain treasure that new players may find useful. (Requires new world.)
Chests and pots now contain loot based on the level they spawn in. (Requires new world.)
Gold chests will now spawn in some parts of the world. (Requires new world.)
Corrupt chasms have less of a chance to spawn on jungles. They also now have a cave connecting most of the chasms. (Requires new world.
Traces of demonite are created during world gen. (Requires new world.
Surface jungles have been enlarged, and will override deserts. (Requires new world.

Retro

Fawk ma sodwahs, that's a whole heck of a lot of awesome right there.

Gold chests will now spawn in some parts of the world. (Requires new world.)

Yum. Can't wait to get some Golden Chests for special storage areas. Damnit, I have to go pick up the wife right as it launched too... I know what I'm doing tonight!

Grinchy

Banned
I'm really glad I didn't blast through the game as fast as possible. Now I have new update stuff plus the stuff I haven't done yet. I was even thinking about creating a new world as well. I could transfer my stuff over anyway, so I'd love to start over now that I know what I'm doing. Some of the things I've built in my first world are...ugly.

Sophia

Ruh-roh. Game crashed upon editing a sign. o_O

Didn't repeat itself, thankfully.

Glowsticks apparently can't be picked up, but can be thrown.... Hmm.

Sanic

I think i'm gonna give this a try again with the new update, although it would be really great if I could start a multiplayer game with someone. Anyone have one going, or up for starting one?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
woohoo new update!

Time to create a new world.

EDIT: I have a server up and running.

IP: 173.65.165.253
No password needed (for now).

I don't really care what you do, as long as you don't re-enact the Great Flood. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom