• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
atre324 said:
ugh, the way mud works now is really annoying

omg lava slimes can die

otherwise I love this update
How does mud work now? I'm at work now, but I don't see anything about mud in the patch notes unless I'm just missing it in that huge wall of text.

Retro

Hawkian said:
Holy crap, I can't believe it.

So what happened to rocket boots?

Apparently they just give a quick upward boost when you use them, but no longer cost any mana. I haven't tried my pair out yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Houston3000 said:
How does mud work now? I'm at work now, but I don't see anything about mud in the patch notes unless I'm just missing it in that huge wall of text.

Mud seems kind of... muddy... like, when you're digging tunnels in it, big clumps of it collapse by themselves. It's kind of... unnerving, at first, but it makes sense.

So far, I'm finding potions inside clay pots, lots of plants (looks like some only spawn during the day and night), some cacti and coral... so far, lots of just little cool new things.

Enco

HaRyu said:
woohoo new update!

Time to create a new world.

EDIT: I have a server up and running.

IP: 173.65.165.253
No password needed (for now).

I don't really care what you do, as long as you don't re-enact the Great Flood. :p
Quoting server for new page.

Pretty sweet so far.

Retro

Looks like Dungeon Bricks have had a slight color change, compare 1.0.5 to the one posted a few pages back;

j4rNl.jpg

vs.

http://i.imgur.com/m0wbh.jpg
1.0.4 (Large image, so just linking)

So far, I haven't crashed yet, but I did have a bug where I couldn't pull up my inventory.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Rocket Boots are still great, they just have a maximum duration now in exchange for no longer using mana. Definitely a buff for casters.

Retro

Interesting to use the Guide for something now, I guess it's fitting he's in my library since I can go over there and research materials...

It turns out the Muramasa is now listed as a Material....

edE3x.jpg

That's a Muramasa, Blade of Grass, Light's Bane and Fiery Greatsword as the components, btw.

Edit: Needs to be crafted at a Demon Altar as well... glad my awesome crafting hall is built over one... jelly? =p

atre324

sooo there's a new rare Demon mob in the underworld called Voodoo Demon, dropped a Guide Voodoo Doll. You equip it like an accessory and then you can beat up/kill the Guide to your heart's content. Love this game so much lol

The Nurse now charges the correct amount for healing.
THANK-YOU.

I probably need to start a new world...I've been playing quite slowly so 20 hours in and I haven't even beaten a boss yet...but all this new stuff. So tempting.

atre324 said:
sooo there's a new rare Demon mob in the underworld called Voodoo Demon, dropped a Guide Voodoo Doll. You equip it like an accessory and then you can beat up/kill the Guide to your heart's content. Love this game so much lol

This game is legendary.

parasight

Got that cool Demon Scythe book from the Demon. Also the Dark Lance in a chest from Hell. Hell in general is much more full of unique mobs and jars/chests. Lava Slimes are a pain.

Bamboozle

Neo Member
Hell is alot more.... hellish now. Friggin flaming bats "keese" can suck it. I hated them in Zelda, now i hate them in Terraria.

Logged into my 1st world I made, jumped into my hellivator and was bombarded with an imp, 2 bats, a demon and a bone serpent. The serpent dropped a sun fury tho, that's my 2nd.

Core Zero

There's so much more stuff now. I think next patch needs a way to expand the base inventory. I hope in any case they can keep the updates coming like this, keep adding enemies/bosses and new stuff to try.

I'll be popping onto Enco's server as Rak, as long as it stays active. Already got a good start of building going there.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Commentary....

Only one giant slime will appear at a time.
Good for the n00bs.

The Guide now seems quite knowledgeable in what an item can be made into if you show it to him.
Screw that guy. Wiki 4 life.

Man Eaters and Snatchers are no longer effected by knockback and can attack through walls.
Sweet

Green slimes have been weakend so that start players can deal with them more easily.
Sissies.

Enemy caster’s have had their rate of fire slowed down.
THANK YOU. Not even about being deadly, just annoying.

Skeletron has less defense and health.
WTF are they making a new toughest boss? He was the right strength.

New Item : Sandgun.
Finally a use for my chest of sand.

New Item : Diving Helmet.
Intriguing implications!

New Item : Silver Bullet
Werewolves incoming?

New Item : Gold Chest
Heck yes. For the true ballers.

Rocket boots no longer require mana. They will provide lift for 1 second and recharge every time the player touches the ground or uses grapple. Lift speed has been slightly increased to offset loss of long flights. This makes the boots more viable for caster Characters.
RUINED! They are lucky they made that VVVVVV potion because rocket boots were toooooo awesome. I'm still going to miss my floaty air battles. So lame.

There is now a message pop-up when the player receives an item.

Lowered the knockback of Muramasa.
Yessss... even deadlier.

Space Gun does more damage, but only penetrates 2 enemies.
Good. That thing was worthless.

World Gen
*sigh* Time to make a new one AGAIN

That's a Muramasa, Blade of Grass, Light's Bane and Fiery Greatsword as the components, btw.
I don't care how strong it is or how far it reaches. Very slow = crap. You could use that for 40 in one hit or in the same amount of time hit the enemy 3 times with Muramasa for 66 damage and the enemy also won't have a chance to sneak in.

RZRiot said:
There's so much more stuff now. I think next patch needs a way to expand the base inventory.
Definitely, there are way too many different types of things now so things aren't mostly stacked like the first version and your inventory fills up way too fast. I think the best thing to do is make it possible to craft a resources backpack or something. Let it store up to like 5000 of the basic dirt and rock forms and everything else can be inventory. Players who know their way around the game tear through caves like nothing and end up just leaving rock and dirt pieces all over the place.

ScRYeD

atre324 said:

You can also drop the voodoo doll in lava. That will also kill the guide.

Retro

Dice said:
I don't care how strong it is or how far it reaches. Very slow = crap. You could use that for 40 in one hit or in the same amount of time hit the enemy 3 times with Muramasa for 66 damage and the enemy also won't have a chance to sneak in.

Oh, I didn't say I was going to use it, I was just noting how much shit you need to blow to get it. I'm sticking with my Muramasa, same as always. I probably will make one eventually, if only to put it in a chest along with everything else you can get in the game and never use it.

Side note: Has anyone found a Band of Starpower? It's the one accessory I don't have at least one of and I'm wondering where the hell to find it. Wiki says Shadow Orbs and chests but I've smashed a shit ton and not found any.

So the only thing stopping me from playing this is the swing animation for mining/chopping things
Am I being an idiot?
Tell me I am so I can buy this.

Salsa

Retro said:
It turns out the Muramasa is now listed as a Material....

edE3x.jpg

Edit: Needs to be crafted at a Demon Altar as well... glad my awesome crafting hall is built over one... jelly? =p

Very slow? piece of crap

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Retro said:
Side note: Has anyone found a Band of Starpower? It's the one accessory I don't have at least one of and I'm wondering where the hell to find it. Wiki says Shadow Orbs and chests but I've smashed a shit ton and not found any.
I think I have one. ONE. I have busted 20+ shadow orbs and opened too many chests to count.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
I've got several of them. I've actually thrown away a few because they took up too much space.

parasight

The sword didn't seem slow at all using it. I only had one Claw equipped, and it wasn't Muramasa fast (hold down left-click speed) but it was definitely usable and a BIG damage per second upgrade over Muramasa.

psy18

Guh time to start a new world, again!
I wish they could do something about moving to a new world and bringing your stuff/npc/housing.
Probably some converter/remapper which ignores certain housing tiles so they can still be intact or something like that....

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Enco said:
Is the server down?

Doh... sorry... even though I intended to leave it on all night, I apparently forgot that my computer was still set to go to sleep after 3 hours of inactivity. I think the server went down around 3 to 4am, my time (Eastern).

Anyway, server back up. :p

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Neutrality said:
So the only thing stopping me from playing this is the swing animation for mining/chopping things
Am I being an idiot?
Tell me I am so I can buy this.

you are going to let something that silly stop you from playing one of the greatest games ever?

I started a new world, spent a lot of time transferring items from my chests and started building my first town (as opposed to the huge castle I had). I've decided to try and keep a relatively natural lay of the land instead of flattening everything out which means some of my buildings are on slopes or inside the side of mountains, I got this cool wooden bridge going with my workshop hanging underneath it.

Screwed up a little bit with the NPCs so far - was trying to get the druid so I built a druid-esque little house and then decided I'll go kill Skeletron to summon her (by the way, he's EXTREMELY easy now). I equipped my Phoenix Blaster without thinking and the fucking Arms Dealer moved in there. I tried to move him to another room by destroying the furniture and barring the door and creating another room for him but he didn't switch. May just have to retheme it and find another place for the druid.

I'd post progress pics but TerraFirma broke with the last patch and I can't upgrade it properly - at least, when I upgrade it it still crashes and tells me I have an old version. Weird. Maybe I'll take some regular old screenshots later.

Retro

Houston3000 said:
I tried to move him to another room by destroying the furniture and barring the door and creating another room for him but he didn't switch. May just have to retheme it and find another place for the druid.

1. Dig a big pit near the Arms Dealer
2. Wait until dark.
3. Wait for zombies to fall in and fill pit.
4. Push Arms Dealer into pit.
5. Laugh as he's eaten alive.

No more problem.

Houston3000 said:
I'd post progress pics but TerraFirma broke with the last patch and I can't upgrade it properly - at least, when I upgrade it it still crashes and tells me I have an old version. Weird. Maybe I'll take some regular old screenshots later.

Try quitting out of TerraFirma, when I went to load it this morning a message popped up saying a new version was available and it works fine for me post 1.0.5.

DJ_Lae

Oh cool. Not sure if it was the patch or just luck, but the world I generated last night has a massive surface-touching underground jungle.

And from where I've wandered, the corruption seems to be contained to a single stretch, which is nice.

elongation

Neo Member
This game just continues to be more awesome than ever before. I just hope they allow settings to be changed in the inventory menu in an upcoming update, kind of getting sick of having to close a world, change one thing and reload it.

parasight

Potion hot keys are really helpful. Now I can use up the extra space on my Action Bar. Demon Lance is probably my new favorite weapon after what they did to Sunfury.

Retro

So, in order to get seeds to plant your own alchemy reagents, you need to pick them at the mature stage... some of which require special conditions. Fireblossom normally looks like a little torch; if you pour lava over it, it will gain a little glowing orb which means you'll get seeds when you harvest. The same goes for Waterleaf; pour some water over it and it will bloom up and give you seeds.

In other words, bring a bucket to Hell / Desert if you want to bring back seeds to farm.

Azar

terraria-fighter.jpg

Not real happy with how the shadows turned out; probably going to have to go back in and put some torches in there to illuminate his face. Was fun building to exact scale, though.

Neutrality said:
So to you guys what makes this a buy over Minecraft?
(Even though I already own Minecraft...)

Loot + combat (bosses!). Minecraft doesn't have these in any meaningful form (yet.)

And constant content updates (every week or two since launch.)

Retro

Found a good way of dealing with lava slimes if you're just making routes through hell (doesn't do much if you're digging down though). Just create a walkway and then tear every other brick out; nothing can fall through it except lava. Bats can still fly through it, but they're not as obnoxious.

Azar said:
terraria-fighter.jpg

Not real happy with how the shadows turned out; probably going to have to go back in and put some torches in there to illuminate his face. Was fun building to exact scale, though.

.... How long did it take you to get all that lava up there? Cuz that's a *crazy* amount.

Edit: Quoting the whole image for the new page for non-premium members.

Grinchy

Banned
Neutrality said:
Premium members?
I think he's pointing out that some of us browse gaf the real way (100 posts per page) while the peasants can only take in 50 at a time. Though I could be very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom