• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Grinchy said:
I think he's pointing out that some of us browse gaf the real way (100 posts per page) while the peasants can only take in 50 at a time. Though I could be very wrong.
But this is on the 100 post limit front end xD

Retro

SWWTj.jpg

So here's my extended Greenhouse, with room for a cactus (I can only wait for it to grow by itself, like my jungle tree). Off to the side, I've added an Herb Garden;

gTnDP.jpg

The well in the center leads down to my warp room; this area used to be a big terraced area, but I decided to fill it in and extend the garden.

So, since 1.0.5, I've been hunting down the new items. I have a lot of the weapons and FINALLY got a Harpoon, still no Ring of Starpower yet though, so if anyone wants to jump on HaRyu's server and trade me one, just post what you're looking for and I'll see if I have one (since I save everything, I probably do) and we'll make a trade.

Speaking of, for the new page:

HaRyu said:
ServerIP: 173.65.165.253
No password
8am-ish (Eastern) to 3am-ish(Eastern)

I've also been hunting down plants and seeds and making the new potions. A lot of them have such short durations that they almost don't feel like they're worth carrying everywhere unless you absolutely know you're going to need them. That makes them pretty useless in my book except in specific circumstances. It would be nice if the durations could stack, but they don't and that gets a big thumbs down from me.

Invisibility Potion doesn't seem to work for shit, when I tried it out Zombies and such still came right at me.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in getting some plants going, here's a few notes from what I've found / read;

In order to get seeds, you must harvest the plant when it's in bloom. Herbs have 3 stages (Sprout, Flower and Bloom), but only Blinkroot, Daybloom and Moonglow reach it by themselves (Daybloom and Nightglow only during the day/night, of course).

Moonglow apparently will only grow on Jungle Grass, but I'm going to try just raw mud and see if that sprouts any. Having jungle grass growing wildly seems like it would snuff out the moonglow and I want a nice, row-on-row farm... so we'll see.

For Fireblossom, you need to pour lava over the plant and water over Waterleaf in order to get them to reach maturity. Fireblossom grows on Ash and Waterleaf in sand, and depth doesn't seem to matter in the slightest if you want to set up a farm that way (personally, I prefer the potted plants.) My little herb garden's fireblossom will probably never reach maturity because they don't have any lava. You can put pots into lava, however, and they'll grow that way in case you want to set up a farm.

Deathweed will only reach maturity during blood moons. It grows on Ebonstone. Here's a shot from a bloodmoon to show both Deathweed and Moonglow in full bloom;

MlB32.jpg

When a plant is ready to drop seeds, it tends to glow a little and throw off little puffs of smoke.

I'm thinking I will set up a non-potted farm just to experiment, somewhere underground and out of the way. I dunno if potted flowers will grow back automatically, probably not, so that would be one way to go.

Anyways, lots of cool new stuff in the patch, and Alchemy seems like a neat idea, but potions are pretty much useless because they don't last more than a few minutes. So you either fill your inventory with a ton of them or you only use them when you know you'll need them... I would have preferred less potion types (there are 18 of them) with longer durations, and some of the effects instead turned into mana-use items. As it is, all of these cool effects are significantly less cooler because you only get them for a minute or two... I dunno about anyone else, but when I'm exploring, my inventory fills up pretty fast...

Hmm... next patch needs to introduce an "Alchemy Belt" equip item that adds another 5 boxes to your inventory (colored differently, of course) that can only contain potions.

Anyways, this is the first patch where I've actually been kind of disappointed and I hope the next one is better.

Edit: Actually, that's kind of overly-negative, there was a lot of great stuff this patch, not the least of which is the quick-potion button which has been saving my ass a lot lately.

I'm planning to move my Dryad into the big green mage's tower (I'll have to re-brick a part of it since NPCs hate Dungeon Bricks) and the clothier into the old Herbalist's Shop. I even went ahead and boarded the little alchemy rooms up (tee-he, it's fun to pretend);

jWRcm.jpg

And then my little farming project somewhere. I finished my Blue and Red Pipes (to the Dungeon and Hell, respectively) but I've run out of green blocks (which is going to the Jungle, a HUGE distance away) and I'm tired of farming. This is the first time where I've actually considered cheating to get more bricks, but I've been good so far and I'm not going to ruin the experience for myself.

Oh well. Still a few more goodies to get and then it's waiting for the next patch.

What do you guys do on the multiplayer server?

Neutrality said:
Premium members?

Sorry, GAF Inside joke; people who set their posts-per-page count to 100 are 'premium members' or 'pay subscribers'...

Edit: Nevermind, I figured when I saw it at the top on my laptop (which I change to 50) I figured it was just a new page for them. Heh, it was a lame joke anyways.

mike23

What he's saying is that the page starts with that image post regardless of whether or not you're on 100 or 50 posts per page. So it isn't really for 100 post people, it works for everyone.

mike23

Does anyone else think that PvP is going to eventually ruin the game? They'll ruin it by trying to balance everything. Instead of making the game more fun they'll just nerf all the good stuff.

They already did it with the rocket boots, muramasa, phoenix blaster. They didn't have any effect on my game play besides making it worse. Now it takes longer to kill the endless enemies and I can't get out of my house without jumping on steps three or four times.

Also, they really need a huge auto-sorting chest. It's a huge pain in the ass to go through all my chests for materials. It wouldn't break anything, it would just make the game less frustrating. It doesn't allow you to do anything you can't do with 100 chests. Make it difficult to craft, i don't care, but a frustrating (lack of) features just for the sake of being frustrating is stupid. It also has to link across worlds because they change the world generator every update and it's a pain to move all my shit.

Bamboozle

Neo Member
Houston3000 said:
I tried to move him to another room by destroying the furniture and barring the door and creating another room for him but he didn't switch. May just have to retheme it and find another place for the druid.

Summon Eater of the worlds, go back to where the arms dealer is and have him get killed.

On a side note, I HATE hell now. So many different types of enemies are so annoying down there now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so new patch, three days in, here's my impressions:

Rocket Boots: So it only works for a total of 1 second, but uses no mana. I can live w/ that. I've only really needed 1 second bursts every time I used it anyway, so its not that big of a deal.
Murasama: A bit annoying that it got nerfed knockback, but like the Rocket Boots, just have to adjust. For swarms though, I now have a favorite weapon...
Demon Scythe: I love this. Nice anti-swarm weapon. I'm a caster anyway, so I can use this w/o too many issues.
Space Gun: only passes through two enemies now. Demon Scythe is pretty much an upgrade to it, so I'm probably going to place my Space Gun into storage soon.
Dark Lance: Spears are generally take a little practice to use, but the Dark Lance is pretty awesome. Just found out that you can use the Dark Lance like a Enchanted Boomerang, if you want to check for things deep/beyond a wall. For those who dont know, the Boomerang's sparkles can be used to look for thing beyond a wall/ground/ceiling when it hits it. The Dark Lance does something like this: thrust it into a section, and it'll light it up, way better than the Boomerang. Even better is if you happen to pass through a thin enough section into another open area. Apparently, the light bloom is larger when it hits the open section. So essentially, the Dark Lance seems to be a good thing to have when you're just running around, exploring underground.
Potion Buffs and Ingredients for them: To be honest, I havent really used them much, just watching the convos going on in the server from the others who use them. I've only used the Spelunker potion, w/c I'm happy with, since I finally found a stupid Diamond w/ it (three patches, never found a diamond, and no, I don't use the map viewer to look for stuff). I like the fact you can grow more stuff that's useful... the Harvest Moon player in me likes the whole farming thing. I haven't really started a major farm yet though, there's already two seperate farms on the server, so being a bit lazy w/ making my own (other than a glowing mushroom farm).
Desert Biome: Cacti are a bitch.
Ocean: Sharks. Woohoo.
Hell: I dunno? I've been there for a little bit after the patch (didnt have too much problems before the patch w/ teh enemies). The slimes are nasty, but other than that, I really havent spent enough time down there, post-patch, to work up an opinion.​

And with that out of the way, thanks to anyone who's stopped by the server, we hit 7 players at one time at some point. The server right now is set to 8 players max, but I'll probably increase it a bit tomorrow morning (probably 12 players). Current status of the world is:
- Skeletron defeated, we do have Clothier at HQ.
- Dungeon pretty much gutted of treasure, there's still books, lights, and bricks left.
- Hell pretty much gutted of treasure, I think.
- Underground Jungle hasnt been thoroughly explored, so there's still treasure to be found.
- Much of the underground has not been explored. Ores, gems, and treasure to be found.
- As far as I know, at least 3 sky islands have been found, and gutted.
- There have been two meteor impacts, and I believe they havent been mined out yet.
- I don't think we've broken a lot of Shadow Orbs. There's still some to be found.
Generally, most of us are either building, farming, or just aimlessly wandering around and chatting, and helping out any new players that happen to pop up. :p

mike23

HaRyu said:
Rocket Boots: So it only works for a total of 1 second, but uses no mana. I can live w/ that. I've only really needed 1 second bursts every time I used it anyway, so its not that big of a deal.

I've died so many times in Hell already because a lot of the lava pits are way too far across for the rocket boots now.

edit:

LOL, just threw an extra guide doll into lava to destroy it and the guide got killed

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
mike23 said:
I've died so many times in Hell already because a lot of the lava pits are way too far across for the rocket boots now.

edit:

LOL, just threw an extra guide doll into lava to destroy it and the guide got killed

Obsidian skin or Water Walk potions would help in Hell.

Created a new small world with my friend last night (for some reason people can never connect to me, must be a port issue or something) - played for some crazy long amount of time... at first we were just going to rush the dungeon and back out but our house got so damn big that we've kind of stuck with it - spent a lot of time and built a full floating tree farm, jungle farm, and corruption farm. On top of our buildings we have very long clay pot farms growing most anything you can think of. Underground we completely retrofitted everything above 0ft and then made a huge mushroom farm underneath.

Really like the new updates - we didn't find too many new items except for that huge ass spear and some newbie items. Potions are fun and all the new enemies makes the world much more exciting and Hell challenging again. I generally like the change to rocket boots but getting around Hell is much harder now.

Alright, my buddy and I created yet another world but Large this time because we're planning to have about 4 or 5 of our other friends on it. Tonight though we spent about 5 hours and set up some awesomeness (well, plus cleared the dungeon). We're building our floating tree clubhouse right over the Jungle.

Click for full size

As you can see the top is still in progress... not sure what's going to be in there yet. We're going to tell our other friends to build their own shit - hopefully we'll have a real kick-ass bunch of buildings scattered around the map.

P.S. Anybody have any clue what's wrong with the room on the far left? Our guide spawned at the original location where we built an extremely small hut. I built this room and then we murdered the guide but he never moved in.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
P.S. Anybody have any clue what's wrong with the room on the far left? Our guide spawned at the original location where we built an extremely small hut. I built this room and then we murdered the guide but he never moved in.

The room looks valid:
-There's enough light.
-It has a table and chair
-Has a door
-The wooden platform in the floor is no more than 3 block wide.

If the guide didn't move in... where is he now?

Enco

After around 30 hours I have some complaints:

- The respawn time is faaar too long (edit: after you die)
- The auto picking up of items is very annoying. Especially with such a small inventory capacity
- The inventory capacity is tiny. Chests and especially piggy banks need extra space
- The monsters that can travel through everything are annoying as hell. There needs to be an impenetrable block
- The stupid shortcuts that use up ALL potions in one go need to be removed. Separate shortcuts would be nice
- The guide is still pretty useless. He should be able to tell you how to make certain things. Not just identify what you can make with something

mike23

Enco said:

- The respawn time is faaar too long
- The auto picking up of items is very annoying. Especially with such a small inventory capacity
- The inventory capacity is tiny. Chests and especially piggy banks need extra space
- The monsters that can travel through everything are annoying as hell. There needs to be an impenetrable block
- The stupid shortcuts that use up ALL potions in one go need to be removed. Separate shortcuts would be nice
- The guide is still pretty useless. He should be able to tell you how to make certain things. Not just identify what you can make with something

Pretty much agree. Except for the first two.

1. Stuff spawns pretty damn fast. Go down to hell and stuff is spawning as fast as you can kill them.

2. There's no way clicking on every dirt block to pick them up is a better option. I'd rather take a second to throw something away every once in a while than double my time spent digging.

Enco

mike23 said:
Pretty much agree. Except for the first two.

1. Stuff spawns pretty damn fast. Go down to hell and stuff is spawning as fast as you can kill them.

2. There's no way clicking on every dirt block to pick them up is a better option. I'd rather take a second to throw something away every once in a while than double my time spent digging.
I meant your respawn time after death. Instant respawn would be infinitely better.

As for the clicking I suppose I can understand but a toggle for it would be nice. I hate picking up cobwebs and mud blocks only to have to throw them out.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Enco said:

- The respawn time is faaar too long (edit: after you die)
You're really running out of piggy bank room? I've never used more than 4 slots. Are you combining 100 coins into the next grade up or are you keeping piles of 100 coins each?

Also, I disagree on the guide. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of him now, much better than switching to the wiki every 10 seconds and keeping a bunch of tabs open.

Neverfade

Monroeski said:
You're really running out of piggy bank room? I've never used more than 4 slots. Are you combining 100 coins into the next grade up or are you keeping piles of 100 coins each?
...uhhhh

If this is serious, you can put more than coins in a piggy bank.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Monroeski said:
Eh, guess I never actually tried to do that. I just assumed it was cash only.

carry piggy bank with you and something you can put it on and you can fill it with stuff. also useful for transferring stuff between worlds

Azar

Retro said:
.... How long did it take you to get all that lava up there? Cuz that's a *crazy* amount.
You can make lava/water but dumping it at the top of a short stair step and then grabbing it out of the air; it will drop down the step and duplicate, but you can re-fill your bucket and continue creating more liquid out of thin air. Probably took a friend and I an hour to totally fill him up. Making all the obsidian took longer!

saunderez

Azar said:
You can make lava/water but dumping it at the top of a short stair step and then grabbing it out of the air; it will drop down the step and duplicate, but you can re-fill your bucket and continue creating more liquid out of thin air. Probably took a friend and I an hour to totally fill him up. Making all the obsidian took longer!
I make a tiny U shape, fill it with water or lava. 3 blocks down where the water would overflow the sides of the U shape I put a single block to split it again. Do it again another couple of times and you can generate water and lava very quickly by "dropping" it on the outside wall of the U shape. Using 2 people with 2 buckets is even faster. You really need to be careful with generation of lava because it is very dangerous and a pain in the ass to clean up if you have a spill.

Do items in the world decay at all? Like if I got killed and dropped a bunch of money in a place I shouldn't have been, and I came back quite a bit later on when I had better gear, would the money still be there on the ground?

Along those lines, is there any easy way to destroy things I don't want, like stacks of dirt blocks? Short of, I guess, lava, which I haven't come across yet?

ZZMitch

slidewinder said:
Do items in the world decay at all? Like if I got killed and dropped a bunch of money in a place I shouldn't have been, and I came back quite a bit later on when I had better gear, would the money still be there on the ground?

Along those lines, is there any easy way to destroy things I don't want, like stacks of dirt blocks? Short of, I guess, lava, which I haven't come across yet?

Items only disappear if you leave the game I believe. And you could just make a ditch or something in your house's basement and throw your unneeded items in there if you want :p

Sarcasm

saunderez said:
I make a tiny U shape, fill it with water or lava. 3 blocks down where the water would overflow the sides of the U shape I put a single block to split it again. Do it again another couple of times and you can generate water and lava very quickly by "dropping" it on the outside wall of the U shape. Using 2 people with 2 buckets is even faster. You really need to be careful with generation of lava because it is very dangerous and a pain in the ass to clean up if you have a spill.

I don't fully understand this....can you elaborate?

saunderez

Sarcasm said:
I don't fully understand this....can you elaborate?
ib4YKQ.JPG

Black can be any type of block. Stone, brick etc.

The blue can be lava or water.

What you do is sit on top of the U shape and click on one of the edges of the U. The water overflows the container and falls down, hitting the next block which splits it. It then falls again to split again. Each side of this water generator will turn 1 bucket of water into 4. If you make the U up the top wider you can make the whole machine wider and instead of splitting 4 times you could split each bucket 8 times or more and generate a lot of water/lava very quickly.

I love taking advantage of the engine physics to do things we shouldn't be able to do. Now all I need are obsidian doors so I can build a lava switching system.

mike23

-Deadpool- said:
Lava layer is fireblossom? How are they growing on stone? Or are the pots just not visible? And how are you harvesting them?

The fireblossoms are in pots in the lava. I just pickaxe them from the top and the plant and seeds come to me

eemijun

Neo Member
Just got the game, loving it so far. Does anyone have any tips or useful advice, that's not in any of the beginner guides?

Retro

eemijun said:
Just got the game, loving it so far. Does anyone have any tips or useful advice, that's not in any of the beginner guides?

Don't get too ambitious. A lot of people are coming to the game after several people have already been at it for a while, and it can be deceptive to see people talking about Hell and building massive fortresses and such. But when you're first starting, it's all about taking baby-steps. Wood to Copper to Iron to Silver to Gold, finding the all-important accessories and building up your town.

Otherwise, it's mostly choose-your-own Adventure, just go where you want, dig what you want, build what you want, do what you want... just, as I said, don't launch the game and say "I'm going to the DUNGEON first!"...

Oh, and take everything out of a chest, even if you don't intend to keep it, and break the chest down and take it with you... and save damn near everything you can, especially if you intend to build. I found last night I needed lots and lots of DIRT, and I was glad I had it.

I finally completed my mineshaft down to hell and found my first meteor. What I have discovered in both of these areas is that if I walk on the "stone" tiles I get burned and knocked back. Are there special boots, or a special suit of armor I need to keep this from happening? Thanks!

Wiki'd. Obsidian Skull. Onward!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Oh, and take everything out of a chest, even if you don't intend to keep it, and break the chest down and take it with you... and save damn near everything you can, especially if you intend to build. I found last night I needed lots and lots of DIRT, and I was glad I had it.

Gee, I wonder what you were building that needed that much dirt. :p

And I agree w/ Retro, definitely try and keep everything you find. Even the dirt. When you want to start seriously building things, you cant have too much of anything, and its always too much a pain when you have to go gather/make the materials when you're in the middle of building something.

Server's now up and running, btw... slept in late and had to run a few errands, but its running now. :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
HaRyu said:

And I agree w/ Retro, definitely try and keep everything you find. Even the dirt. When you want to start seriously building things, you cant have too much of anything, and its always too much a pain when you have to go gather/make the materials when you're in the middle of building something.

Server's now up and running, btw... slept in late and had to run a few errands, but its running now. :p
You call materials gathering a pain, I call it "time for fun with dynamite."

HaRyu said:

Yeah, first thing we do when a world is created is load it down with chests and keep EVERYTHING. I mean, if you're raiding the dungeon and run out of inventory space throwing away some dirt is probably one of the first things to do but it's always good to have a few chests filled with stacks of raw materials.

Funnily enough, that last world my friend and I built, we put our base of operations directly over the jungle, just left of our jungle is a huge desert and just right of the jungle is a huge area of corruption. Getting dirt is actually a rather convoluted process, our base is on the left side of the jungle so it's a far run to the corruption which is the best place to get dirt as digging straight down into the jungle is all just mud. Kind of hard to get wood as well actually since we're trying to keep the jungle biome relatively intact.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Me and my wife finally managed to get a server going and spent a few hours last night playing it together and had a blast.

I thought game was crazy addicting single player, but with another player there to help you out it becomes pretty amazing.

I'm thinking of starting an epic project where I re-create the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night castle. I'll probably put it in it's own world named "Castlevania."

I'm so glad I randomly took the chance and bought this game. I didn't expect it to grab me like it did. I think my wife is more addicted to it than I am. She's sunk a few hundred hours into the game already, while I'm still scratching the surface (granted, I'm working most of the day, while she's at home, free to play video games all day. I admit I'm a little jealous of this arrangement...).

Azar

saunderez said:
I'm not sure what kind of design is most efficient. One of my friends built a big pyramid of blocks to separate the lava a dozen or more times, but we later discovered having it drop down a couple steps ended up being much faster, even though it wasn't splitting as often. Seems like the physics have trouble keeping up and even if you seem to be dumping more lava into the pool, it doesn't actually rise any faster.

mike23 said:
The fireblossoms are in pots in the lava. I just pickaxe them from the top and the plant and seeds come to me

Do they take ages to grow? Finally got some seeds last night in Hell, planted one in a pot up top, surrounded it with stone and poured a few buckets over it all, but after like 3 hours playing I came back and it was still a seedling.

So I'm absolutely loving this game.
It isn't that friendly to newcomers however.
Zombies be crazy.

Also, I don't really understand this dungeon business.
Would someone mind explaining how they work/look like in this game?
A minute from my humble hut there is a big cave system but I haven't been able to get past these worms without dying.
Am I nearing a dungeon?
Or just a hard ass hole.

Retro

Neutrality said:
So I'm absolutely loving this game.
It isn't that friendly to newcomers however.
Zombies be crazy.

Also, I don't really understand this dungeon business.
Would someone mind explaining how they work/look like in this game?
A minute from my humble hut there is a big cave system but I haven't been able to get past these worms without dying.
Am I nearing a dungeon?
Or just a hard ass hole.

That's just a Hard Ass Hole.

At one end of your world there is a dungeon and the other has an Underground Jungle. It's random which end either is at, but both are present in every world.

The dungeon is a large structure at the surface made of colored bricks (either Blue, Green or Pink). You'll absolutely know it when you see it. There is also an Old Man NPC outside, but we'll come to him in a second.

If you go very deep into the dungeon (just walking in and looking around is ok), you'll be attacked by an extremely tough monster who will probably kill you in one or two hits. In order to avoid this fate, you need to speak to the Old Man after dark. Doing so causes him to turn into a boss. Once you beat him, you're allowed into the dungeon unmolested (except, of course, by all the resident skeletons).

What level of armor are you at? You shouldn't be running into many worms if you just started. As for zombies, build a house, put up doors, and dig until dawn.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Some pics from the server.

Courtyard + HQ

Graveyard

I would post pics of the other stuff that's been built, but I'll leave that honor to the people who built them. Or you could just stop by the server and take a look around. :p

Retro

First, here's something I threw together really quick on my Home World. It's out on a little hill of sand in the ocean, between the sea and my little lagoon;

21Wlr.jpg

I may change the candle to a hanging light, but otherwise it looks decent enough for something I will probably never see again (since I got everything I need from ocean critters.

On the GAF Server, I decided to blow up half a mountain and build some visually interesting but utterly useless (and almost frustrating) structures;

Full Size (Large Image): http://i.imgur.com/hShca.jpg

You pretty much need a grapple or rocket boots to get past this point, but since there's nothing that anyone has built past it, I guess there's no need yet. I am planning to open up the floodgate under the temple-looking area so people can at least get into the thing easier (since the door is on the Right, away from the starting spawn and the rest of town.

Edit: I keep forgetting to bring Gold Bricks whenever I visit GAF-Town, that's why the Bell there is made of Dirt... bleh.

9Bln8.jpg

Oh, and there's this, but I'm not saying where I made it, but I can say that it doesn't lead anywhere yet, but eventually I'd like to stash some goodies up there.

Oh, and that's my little Hardcore Character Tombstone generator, Samus... which makes me really really really want a "V Suit" in the next patch, and maybe a Missile Launcher and a Morph Ball spell... mwhehe

Retro said:
What level of armor are you at? You shouldn't be running into many worms if you just started. As for zombies, build a house, put up doors, and dig until dawn.

Yeah I have no armor at this point.
I think I'm playing this too much like Minecraft.
What armor set should I aim for?

atre324

So, as much as I'm loving the new update, I definitely would like to see them tweak three things:

1) Lava Slimes are horrible, they wouldn't be so annoying if little flows of lava didn't get stuck on inclines, or if there weren't so many of them. I know that the Underworld is supposed to be the hardest part of the game but it's just not really that fun anymore. I would really like to see lava taken out as their drop, or at least made a lot more rare.

2) The inconsistent way Ash and Mud are affected by gravity gets really irksome if you're trying to tunnel through the jungle or even if you're mining/grappling around. I don't mind if they wan't to make Ash/Mud affected by gravity, but at least make it act like sand so it's not so inconsistent.

3) I like how there are certain conditions for obtaining seeds from the new alchemy plants in their natural environments, but I think using pots should remove all conditions from obtaining seeds. It just seems weird to have to sit my flower pots in a bath of lava. Flowers in pots take much too long to grow too, I'd really like to see them take no longer than 1 terraria day and have a somewhat consistent growth rate between the 6 different flowers. It's not like it's that hard to get flowers if you're making new worlds and running around, so I don't see why they need to be so hard to garden.

Oh, and there really needs to be an alternate click that moves any item in/out of a chest and into your inventory, and vice versa.

Btw if anyone's looking for an easier way to farm antlion mandibles for their Sandguns, it helps to make a new world, find the desert and level it out, then use sand to extend the desert out to the side/sides. Battle potions really help too, btw. I still want to experiment with battle potion and water candle during blood moon, lol

Retro

Neutrality said:

Start with Copper, then Iron, Silver, and Gold. After that you can get some armor from the Jungle, Dungeon, Meteorites, etc... but I used Gold all the way to hell and replaced it with the Molten set.

Minecraft, from what I've hard, doesn't have anywhere near the level of combat that Terraria does, so trying to play it that way will probably end badly.

Start near the surface and look for any metal you can find. If you're getting frustrated, try the NeoGAF server where people have some stuff stockpiled that you can 'borrow' (just let us know so we can replace it, I'm working on adding some goodies as soon as I have a chance to sit down and build again).

atre324 said:
1) Lava Slimes are horrible, they wouldn't be so annoying if little flows of lava didn't get stuck on inclines, or if there weren't so many of them.

I'd rather they explode on death and send little lava splatters all over the place (without creating actual lava that can pool.) It would keep them difficult without making them an obnoxious pain in the ass. I'd like to see them made bigger and rarer as well.

atre324 said:
2) The inconsistent way Ash and Mud are affected by gravity gets really irksome if you're trying to tunnel through the jungle or even if you're mining/grappling around. I don't mind if they wan't to make Ash/Mud affected by gravity, but at least make it act like sand so it's not so inconsistent.

I don't think we'd be complaining about either of these if they worked that way from the start, but since it was patched it I think it could be handled a little more gently. For example, they should have mud/ash visually change when they're about to collapse, so at least you can predict when things are about to turn to shit. Otherwise, I kind of like that materials are acting in unique ways.

atre324 said:
3) I like how there are certain conditions for obtaining seeds from the new alchemy plants in their natural environments, but I think using pots should remove all conditions from obtaining seeds.

100% agree, I think farming needs to be standardized so players can actually drop a few pots down, plant a few seeds, and not have to worry about scouring the world for plants ever again. That's how the game has worked to this point and having potted plants need all of these extra conditions feels counter-intuitive.

Neutrality said:
I don't want to explain to much because half the fun, as you probably know from Minecraft, is exploring and figuring stuff out for yourself but here's a bit of a beginner's run through:

1. On spawn collect wood and stone on the surface and kill some Slimes for gel.
2. Build a house
- Should be at least 4 blocks high and have a floor
- Construct a Workbench and use your gels and some wood to make a handful of torches, place a torch on the wall.
- Using your workbench build walls and a door, use those walls to finish the inside of your hut (doors need a 3 block high hole in your wall).
- Using your workbench craft some stone and torches into a Furnace and place that down as well. If you happen to have iron already making an anvil would be a good to.​
3. Build a sword, a hammer, and craft any additional wood into torches and platforms.
4. Punch a hole in the floor of your hut and cover it with a platform.
5. Continue to dig, don't go straight down, use torches to light your way. Look out for copper and iron especially. When your inventory is full climb back up to your hut.
6. Refine your copper/iron and using your anvil you should be able to build armor and weapons using those materials (eventually silver, gold, and beyond as well)
7. Expand your house with additional rooms
- To be classified as a "room" it has to be a minimum size of 4x5
- It must be enclosed and have walls throughout
- It needs either a door or a platform underneath so an NPC can hop in
- It must have at least one table and one chair and be well lit​
The Guide will move into your first room, when you obtain 5 silver a Merchant will move into any empty room you have, when you have a certain amount of hearts a Nurse will move in, etc...
8. Using wood and Iron you can build Chests which can hold your materials so you can unload and continue spelunking.

Avoid the dungeon and corruption until you feel comfortable. I was in gold armor before I ventured deeply into the corruption and Shadow Armor before I fought Skeletron and went into the dungeon. There's also jungles, oceans, and finally hell. If you run across a material you don't know what to do with show it to the Guide and he will tell you everything that it's used for. If you want to start making potions putting a bottle (made from glass, which is made from sand at a furnace) on a table creates an alchemy station.

Hope that helps!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
7. Expand your house with additional rooms
- To be classified as a "room" it has to be a minimum size of 4x5
- It must be enclosed and have walls throughout
- It needs either a door or a platform underneath so an NPC can hop in
- It must have at least one table and one chair and be well lit​
The Guide will move into your first room, when you obtain 5 silver a Merchant will move into any empty room you have, when you have a certain amount of hearts a Nurse will move in, etc...

Additional rules/tips for NPC valid rooms:
-The blocks and walls must not be dirt.
-You can use wooden platforms to separate a room's ceiling/floor, but there cant be any more than a total of three platforms.
-You CAN have gaps in the background/walls. The amount of space you can have open is dependent on how big the room is. A minimum 4x5 room definitely cannot have any openings.
-If you built a room, and the NPC shows up, but doesnt actually go into the room, move offscreen (go exploring for a while). The NPC will usually teleport to the room on his own. Hence, its not necessary to build a walkway for the NPC to the room if its out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom