• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guide won't move into my house. Weird, because I've met all the requirements. Wonder what he's up to...

qDEdz.jpg

Oh. Wait, how did-

vTBvh.jpg

...Ah.

(I'm early doors with this game, lol. Got at the beginning of the month, but I've been distracted by exams. Gonna start putting some real effort into it now, ha)

Edit: I've added my little Guile to my avatar to show I'm in for the long haul though! :D

Enco

Sure is.

HaRyu said:
woohoo new update!

Time to create a new world.

EDIT: I have a server up and running.

IP: 173.65.165.253
No password needed (for now).

I don't really care what you do, as long as you don't re-enact the Great Flood. :p
Pretty good one too.

My dwellings so far on the GAF server:

hqZ8a.jpg

My personal mine entrance is right beneath it... and my grotto next door:

ANiRg.jpg

I try to collect all my own materials on the server so I spent a lot of time mining tunnels, only thing I brought over was the dungeon items since I assumed the dungeon is pretty cleared out here (I actually haven't checked), did end up borrowing about 10 or 11 books from the community chest when my stash ran out though. Feel free to visit, the house is zombie proof, the grotto needs to be fortified though from my dark access tunnels.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
I try to collect all my own materials on the server so I spent a lot of time mining tunnels, only thing I brought over was the dungeon items since I assumed the dungeon is pretty cleared out here (I actually haven't checked), did end up borrowing about 10 or 11 books from the community chest when my stash ran out though. Feel free to visit, the house is zombie proof, the grotto needs to be fortified though from my dark access tunnels.

You're correct, the dungeon is pretty much cleared out. I believe there's still some books and lamps there, but not much else other than bricks.

i bought this a few days ago and wow, just incredible. i never tried minecraft and, to be honest, have foolishly shied away from a lot of indie games, so this has been a bit of an epiphany. it's great spending a couple of hours trying to further the 'game', finding things, fighting creatures etc. then spending a further three hours just building, mining, improving my town and all that.
also the game makes me feel rather powerful, altering the landscape and draining away water and stuff. a sense of accomplishment the bigger titles just don't give me. fantastic stuff!

SmokyDave

LiquidMamba said:
For some reason, harpies are not spawning on floating islands. Did the spawn rate go down for 1.05?
I hope so. They made constructing my last sky-platform miserable :(

In some ways, I wish there was an option to turn enemies off. Sometimes I just want to dig, man :(

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMamba said:
For some reason, harpies are not spawning on floating islands. Did the spawn rate go down for 1.05?

Is it all the floating islands they're not spawning? Is the floating island you're checking, one near the center?

If a floating island is close to the main spawn point (center of map), Harpies will definitely not spawn. Quote from the wiki:

"Their spawn rate occurs more often the closer you are to the top of the map. Additionally, they can only spawn a certain distance away from the center of the map; about a thousand blocks or so."

So there's essentially a 2000 block "safe zone" in the center of the map (1000 each way).

Found my first floating islands last night! Got a horseshoe and a red balloon which has made exploring *much* easier.

Couple of questions.

How many floating islands are there usually in a world?

How often do goblin invasions happen? Will they happen more than once in a given world?

Thanks!

Danexmurder said:
Found my first floating islands last night! Got a horseshoe and a red balloon which has made exploring *much* easier.

Couple of questions.

How many floating islands are there usually in a world?

How often do goblin invasions happen? Will they happen more than once in a given world?

Thanks!
It all depends on how large your world is and it varies based on that. A small world can technically have as few as 1 but usually you'll get around 3. On a large world you can have up to 8 or so floating islands.

Goblin Invasions only happen after you have at least 200HP and have broken a Shadow Orb. It happens more than once per world, I think each new day there's something like a 1/15 chance they'll spawn. Once you defeat one though you're safe for at least 7 days.

Houston3000 said:
It all depends on how large your world is and it varies based on that. A small world can technically have as few as 1 but usually you'll get around 3. On a large world you can have up to 8 or so floating islands.

Goblin Invasions only happen after you have at least 200HP and have broken a Shadow Orb. It happens more than once per world, I think each new day there's something like a 1/15 chance they'll spawn. Once you defeat one though you're safe for at least 7 days.

Ah, thanks! I made a small world and have only found two floating islands. I'm hoping for more goblin invasions because I somehow managed to loose my harpoon. I'm also hoping for some rocket boots.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Danexmurder said:
Ah, thanks! I made a small world and have only found two floating islands. I'm hoping for more goblin invasions because I somehow managed to loose my harpoon. I'm also hoping for some rocket boots.

We have craploads of harpoons on the server, you're more than welcome to take one. :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimoo said:
Is something odd about adding it later during the day?

I've never seen them add an item to the sale this many hours in. It was still normal price about an hour before Danexmurder made his post.

If anything, within the 1st hour, I've seen them add stuff, just not any further than that. But that's not important now.

For those who just bought Terraria, stop by the server! :p

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is a noob question, but I was wondering if there is anyway to locate where your friends are on the map, or do you need to craft a specific item.

Me and my wife have been playing together, but we often go off on our separate ways to carve out two paths. We're so deep in our world now, that we often have a hard time finding one another again!

I saw a video a while ago, and I think it had some kind of number/meter thing that would let you know how far away you were from the other person in your server. Is that still there, and how do I access it?

Also, I know I'm a newbie here, but I certainly wouldn't mind joining in on some of the GAF games in Terraria, but I don't have a headset. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for a good PC headset? And what program do you all use to chat with each other while you play?

Thanks for any info you can give me, folks!

Retro

Figboy79 said:
Me and my wife have been playing together, but we often go off on our separate ways to carve out two paths. We're so deep in our world now, that we often have a hard time finding one another again!

-snip-

Also, I know I'm a newbie here, but I certainly wouldn't mind joining in on some of the GAF games in Terraria, but I don't have a headset. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for a good PC headset? And what program do you all use to chat with each other while you play?

If you're playing multiplayer, open your inventory. There's some colored shields off to the right. If you're both on the same team, you can see each other's distance and general direction at all times.

As for a headset... there's in-game text chat and we've been fine using that. I wouldn't worry about voice chat if you're just getting on the GAF server.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Sweet! Thanks for your help. I forgot all about the shields above your equipment! Now that you mention it, I remember the people in the video mentioning how it was used to assign people in the server to teams and what not.

Thanks again for the info on both questions!

Retro

No problem, happy to help. If you need anything, be sure to check out the GAF server. I know we've got a big stockpile of stuff just sitting around waiting for people who need it. However, I will say that finding / crafting all of these cool new items on your own is much more rewarding than simply getting them. But if it's a matter of needing some hard-to-find materials (deathweed, diamonds, etc.) then hopefully we can help.

I'm just about done with all of the building projects I had planned, so I'm thinking I will go through my warehouse (48 chests) and see what crap I've got just lying around. I know my tunnel to the jungle has yielded so much raw ore that I probably have a full two stacks of everything.

If this is on sale on Steam, we should theoretically have an influx of new people anyways. Nevermind that it was only $10 to begin with and was WELL worth the price. It would be nice if we could get people some of the must-have-but-not-game-breaking items like Horseshoes, Life Crystals and Obsidian Skulls.

atre324

soooo is anyone else obsessively checking their twitter/blog for news on the next update? I hate to feel ungrateful but I want more content already!

Also, has anyone build any huge gardens yet? I was thinking about building a huge, 6 story tower with 1 floor for each herb, but that'd be a lot of clay lol. I guess I should start expanding my home world beyond just my base but it's so much easier to just keep adding rooms onto the main house than start a new building.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
If this is on sale on Steam, we should theoretically have an influx of new people anyways. Nevermind that it was only $10 to begin with and was WELL worth the price. It would be nice if we could get people some of the must-have-but-not-game-breaking items like Horseshoes, Life Crystals and Obsidian Skulls.

Life Crystals and Skulls not a problem. Horseshoes are, so if anyone has spare horseshoes, we're glad to take them off your hands.

atre324 said:
soooo is anyone else obsessively checking their twitter/blog for news on the next update? I hate to feel ungrateful but I want more content already!

Always checking twitter. :D You do have to remember that they did say they were going to gradually make the period between updates longer.

atre324 said:
Also, has anyone build any huge garden's yet? I was thinking about building a huge, 6 story tower with 1 floor for each herb, but that'd be a lot of clay lol. I guess I should start expanding my home world beyond just my base but it's so much easier to just keep adding rooms onto the main house than start a new building.

We have two gardens on the server, so if you want ideas, take a look.

atre324

Well I have one in my house already, but it's a small one with only 10 pots for each flower type. My current plan is a 6 story tower (probably using a lot of stone and vines) with a nice alchemy lab on top, complete with infinite liquid generators.

Maybe I'll take a look to get ideas for aesthetics though, thanks :) I'm thinking the alchemy lab should have a glass dome roof!

Retro

atre324 said:

To be fair, the Major Patch every week to 2 weeks has kind of spoiled us. But yeah, they've mentioned some things they're working on and they all sound amazing. I don't think it's ungrateful, I think wanting to see a great game get better is perfectly reasonable.

If you're bored, make a new character and try a completely different playstyle. I made a Terraria version of Samus and loaded her up with guns (which I had never used) and had a blast with a new play style.

atre324 said:
Also, has anyone build any huge gardens yet? I was thinking about building a huge, 6 story tower with 1 floor for each herb, but that'd be a lot of clay lol. I guess I should start expanding my home world beyond just my base but it's so much easier to just keep adding rooms onto the main house than start a new building.

We've got a couple huge farms on the GAF server. I have my little botanical garden and a little greenhouse for my flowers (see last page), but nothing I would call 'huge'.

EDIT: My Alchemy Tower is here (I've added a water pool at the top and expanded the storage); http://i.imgur.com/m0wbh.jpg

And here's my greenhouse; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28856840&postcount=1306

HaRyu said:
Life Crystals and Skulls not a problem. Horseshoes are, so if anyone has spare horseshoes, we're glad to take them off your hands.

I'll dig around, I know I have a bunch of Clouds in a Bottle, I'm not sure on Horseshoes. At least one. I had been stockpiling stuff for GAFfers from the start, so I bet I've got a ton back on my first world that I've forgotten about. I have one of just about everything, I even managed to get a Band of Starpower FINALLY.

atre324

Retro said:
To be fair, the Major Patch every week to 2 weeks has kind of spoiled us. But yeah, they've mentioned some things they're working on and they all sound amazing. I don't think it's ungrateful, I think wanting to see a great game get better is perfectly reasonable.

If you're bored, make a new character and try a completely different playstyle. I made a Terraria version of Samus and loaded her up with guns (which I had never used) and had a blast with a new play style.

Oh yeah definitely lol, I am definitely spoiled by the frequent updates.

Honestly, all I really want are a few more furnishings and decorative items, so that it's easier to make houses/building a bit more distinct looking. That, and craftable elevators or a cooking/fishing system. Ok, so maybe I have a list full of ideas on my desktop that I never even share with anyone!

edit: yeah that alchemy tower is great, I have a laboratory in my current house so I was thinking of just doing something like that atop a huge greenhouse. I really like your building style, especially the way the greenhouse uses empty backwall space.

And to keep busy I start new worlds and pilfer them mostly. I'll explore, go out and collect items, or try to stock up on a particular item/kind of brick (still trying to find a 2nd whoopie cushion!). It keeps me busy when I play, but I tend to get stingy and just want to hoard the bricks I've collected instead of actually being creative and building :(

atre324

just makes fart sounds when you use them (it's actually kinda underwhelmingly quiet, not a big old deadly rip lol), other than that useless beyond the fact that it's the rarest item in the game

kevm3

I think I'm going to take a break from the game for another month or two and then come back and see how much the game has changed. Might just start a whole new world while I'm at it.

ScRYeD

atre324 said:
just makes fart sounds when you use them (it's actually kinda underwhelmingly quiet, not a big old deadly rip lol), other than that useless beyond the fact that it's the rarest item in the game

Thanks for that, it does sound fairly underwhelming. Would be cool if it did more like placing it down on the ground and it lets you do a super jump or in a hellavator, you put it at the end of it to break your fall.

Spent some time on the Server last night, first time I've been able to with other people about. Good folks and good times! Good folks and good times!

Also, awesome to see the map picture, otherwise I would of never known about the surfing Pikachu.

Hopped on the gaf server for the first time last night. Looking great! I also wanted to say thanks for giving me a replacement harpoon for the one I somehow managed to lose.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Had a lot of fun and easily superior to Minecraft in a lot of ways but I think I'll stop and revisit this game in October to see where development is. The update ideas that had me the most excited were the alien worlds and competing factions that build on your map. I don't want to waste my time perfecting a map I'm never gonna want to come to 3 months from now.

My little hut is so small and insignificant haha

I played on my friend's server last night some, built an awesome ass PvP battle arena outside our Jungle. We used Blue Dungeon Blocks and Pink Dungeon Blocks and designed a 2-Fort style arena - the forts are each a little different but both have ample floating blocks on the outside for some good jumping around. There's a platform above and two lava pits in between. The forts have windows that are barred with stone blocks and there's a small strategic room in the middle of the two built of stone.

We're thinking either just limiting weapon/accessories (no rocket boots, no cobalt shield, just aqua scepters and harpoons) or experimenting with implementing a class based system:

Ranger
Armor: Necro Armor (Vanity: Jungle Armor)
Weapons: Gold Bow (250 Wooden Arrows), Boomerang
Accessories: Red Balloon, Cloud in a Bottle, Lucky Horseshoe, 2x Anklet of the Wind

Sorcerer
Armor: Meteor Armor (Vanity: Robe and Wizard Hat)
Weapons: Aqua Scepter, Water Bolt, Gold Hammer
Accessories: Cloud in a Bottle, 2x Band of Starpower, Nature's Gift, Band of Regeneration

Warrior
Armor: Molten Armor (Vanity: None)
Weapons: Harpoon, Light's Bane
Accessories: Cloud in a Bottle, 2x Band of Regeneration, 2x Obsidian Skull

No one can use Pick-Axes and everyone can use 3 Bombs. Not sure about potions yet. May be horribly imbalanced but we haven't gotten to do any real matches yet to play-test. Thoughts / Suggestions?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I agree that part of the fun is finding all the awesome stuff yourself, but I was fortunate in that my wife is crazy addicted to this game, and hooked me up with a horseshoe, grappling hook, rocket boots, and an obsidian skull. At the least, those help me get around the map a bit easier, and we still explore and find new stuff together.

We created a large world, and we've been getting lost in it. Didn't get to play last night, but we'll probably spend this weekend having a blast. It's way more fun to play with an extra person than solo, which is saying a lot, since it really is a great game to play solo as well. lol.

I've been trying to spread the word about Terraria since I got hooked on it. I may just buy a four pack if I can, and gift it to one of you GAFfers so you can spread the love if you have people that haven't gotten the game yet. Pretty much most of my friends that are interested have it. I'll see how much spare cash I have after the bills are paid!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
And the teasing for whats going to be in the next update (1.06) begins...

From Blue's twitter:
Terraria_Blue
@AnimeZer0 We are staying a bit more hushed about 1.0.6 than previous updates. But theres good stuff on the way. Dungeons getting some love.

Retro

HaRyu said:
And the teasing for whats going to be in the next update (1.06) begins...

Oh boy, time to start checking their forums every hour again, 1.0.5 was teasted a bit, then tweeted, then it was out that weekend. It'd be cool if it dropped over the holiday weekend.

As for dungeons... they need more randomized loot, so hopefully that's in there. Every world I've made, the dungeons almost always have one Masamune, one Blue Moon, one Cobalt Shield, one Water Scepter, etc.

It would also be interesting if the Dungeon ran down into Hell and had a more difficult level deeper in.

Oh, and maybe little background doors you can press Down to enter and they're just small, stand-alone maps with puzzles or traps in them... but then I'd want the ability to have doors you can craft like that for storage... so, that's not gonna happen.

MarshMellow96 said:
So, uhh, what's the deal with the 'connect to ip address' multiplayer?

Great idea. Done with this.

... The hell? It's a game literally made by two guys in something like five weeks. It doesn't have dedicated multiplayer servers yet but it's something they're working on. In the meantime, it's a fantastic single player game if you'd rather not go to the trouble of... *gasp* typing in 11 digits! HaRyu has been maintaining a GAF server nicely for the last couple of weeks, so it's not like you even have to host or anything.

I swear, $10 (hell, less than that if it's on sale) and if it doesn't give you a blowjob and wash your car, it's trash? You do know direct connect multiplayer is how online games worked for years, right?

atre324

Retro said:
Oh boy, time to start checking their forums every hour again, 1.0.5 was teasted a bit, then tweeted, then it was out that weekend. It'd be cool if it dropped over the holiday weekend.

As for dungeons... they need more randomized loot, so hopefully that's in there. Every world I've made, the dungeons almost always have one Masamune, one Blue Moon, one Cobalt Shield, one Water Scepter, etc.

It would also be interesting if the Dungeon ran down into Hell and had a more difficult level deeper in.

Oh, and maybe little background doors you can press Down to enter and they're just small, stand-alone maps with puzzles or traps in them... but then I'd want the ability to have doors you can craft like that for storage... so, that's not gonna happen.

I'd love to see the Dungeon get harder the further you go, with a "Boss Room" at the end/center. I am kinda hoping they add paintings and tapestries to the dungeon too, to give it a whole castlevania look and let us have more decorations for our homes.

No other game I have ever played has asked me to anything like this. I used to play AvP2 online all the time and it never asked me to connect directly to an IP address.

I have typed in 11 digits. I have forwarded my port. I still get 'found server' or I am connecting indefinitely.

I don't expect fellatio, but then again this game shouldn't expect me to bend over backwards to connect to a friend either.

EDIT: Working now. Rage...

Retro

atre324 said:
I'd love to see the Dungeon get harder the further you go, with a "Boss Room" at the end/center. I am kinda hoping they add paintings and tapestries to the dungeon too, to give it a whole castlevania look and let us have more decorations for our homes.

Something as simple as that would make me build an entirely new structure in my town just to have a museum to display the art in, and it's such a simple little decorative addition. I hope more cosmetic things like that are on the way.

As for having a boss, yes, absolutely. Maybe not in a room or deeper down (since dungeons are randomly generated, it might get weird), but some kind of summoning mechanism ("find all 4 Runestones in the dungeon and take them to the evil throne") would certainly work.

There's so much potential for things like this to be added, it really has been the best $10 I ever spent on a game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
HaRyu said:
For anyone curious as to what's been happening at the server...

*snip

:p

That looks GREAT! I think you've definitely convinced me to visit the GAF server this weekend.

What times are the servers usually up, or you have it running constantly?

I live in Los Angeles, so I usually don't get home from work until a little after 6pm my time (and unfortunately, my work internet connection doesn't let me connect to STEAM. But since I actually love my job, that's probably a good thing...).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I finally got around to buying this game, and I'm at the very start. Is it normal to not be able to cut down trees at first? I'm using the axe and clicking on the base, but nothing is happening. I need that wood because I'm getting destroyed at night.

nevermind

Enco

Best money spent in a long time.

50 hours of gameplay. Can't remember the last game that I played that much (probably Oblivion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom