• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Figboy79 said:
That looks GREAT! I think you've definitely convinced me to visit the GAF server this weekend.

What times are the servers usually up, or you have it running constantly?

We needed this on the new page anyways;

HaRyu said:
ServerIP: 173.65.165.253
No password
8am-ish (Eastern) to 3am-ish(Eastern)

That's 5am to midnight pacific, by the way.

Snuggler said:
So I finally got around to buying this game, and I'm at the very start.

See the last page for some general tips and advice on starting off. The first couple days (in game) can be annoying because the nights are zombie-filled and the days are generally heavy on the slimes. Best thing you can do is tear down some trees and get a building up.

Enco said:
Best money spent in a long time.

50 hours of gameplay. Can't remember the last game that I played that much (probably Oblivion).

I was scared to check mine....

NOfL2.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmmm, my first goal is to figure out how make proper Shelter. I dug a pretty nice tunnel and closed it off with a few wooden platforms, but the zombies still got in. :(

I'm still learning but it seems cool so far.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
HaRyu has been maintaining a GAF server nicely for the last couple of weeks, so it's not like you even have to host or anything.

To clarify that, I've been running Terraria servers since update 1.03 (so 4 weeks?), but I've only been running the NeoGAF server since update 1.05 (since last Friday). Its still the same though, I've been running a server.

Sure, I will contend that you do have to jump through a hoop or two, but honestly, I've set up and run much more difficult servers. :p

Figboy79 said:
That looks GREAT! I think you've definitely convinced me to visit the GAF server this weekend.

What times are the servers usually up, or you have it running constantly?

I live in Los Angeles, so I usually don't get home from work until a little after 6pm my time (and unfortunately, my work internet connection doesn't let me connect to STEAM. But since I actually love my job, that's probably a good thing...).

Okay, so after several days, here's the basic info you guys need to know about the server.
UberBat: The Unofficial NeoGAF Server
ip address: 173.65.162.253
port: default port (7777)
password: none

server times: 8 am (usually) -to- 3 am (usually) (all times EST)
max players: 15 (I will increase if we maintain a user base that high, but its normally 3 to 5 players most of the time)

character your server admin uses: Harlan -or- Redshirt

SERVER HOUSE RULES:
1. Do not destroy/modify other player's structures, w/o their permission.
2. Do not flood the world (water OR lava).
3. If you're building a house, avoid making rooms "NPC-compliant", unless your structure is relatively close to the main spawn point. We do not want to run all over the world trying to find the stupid merchant, then discover he's in a small house in Hell.
4. There is a HQ Storage Cellar, where there are a lot of chests w/ a lot of loot. The public is MORE THAN WELCOME to take whatever is in the chests. We only ask that as much as possible, you help replenish the stock (place items in the appropriate sections).
5. There are four "farms". Two all-purpose farms w/ nearly every plant, one forest platform, and one giant glowing mushroom farm. You are also more than welcome to take any plants that are growing there, but you MUST replant if its a plant that doesn't regrow in abundance automatically (w/c means, every plant except the different types of mushrooms), and you must replant in the appropriate section.
6. The server is not a PvP server, but PvP is allowed, work it out among yourselves how you want to do that. There's a nice haunted house PvP arena you can mess around in on the server.
7. You are allowed to tell non-NeoGAF people about the server, and they are allowed on the server, but they are subject to all the above rules.

Last thing, about the "cut-off" time. The computer automatically shuts down after 3 hours of no input. Since I tend to go to bed around midnight (usually), the computer will shutoff around 3am. Please keep that in mind if you're on at that time.

Retro

Snuggler said:
Hmmm, my first goal is to figure out how make proper Shelter. I dug a pretty nice tunnel and closed it off with a few wooden platforms, but the zombies still got in. :(

I'm still learning but it seems cool so far.

Enemies can drop through wooden platforms the same as you. Just putting raw wood on your action bar will allow you to create solid walls they won't be able to pass through (you'll need to axe them down to get out yourself)

If you have enough wood, the first thing you'll want to do is make a worktable. You'll need to set it to one of your action bars and then click on the ground (or just above it) to place it. At a worktable, you can build many, many more things. Build a nice sized square room, fill in the background walls (craftable at a workbench) and a door and you'll be safe from everything unless there's a Blood Moon.

Retro

Double post, but patch news is worthy of a bump.

Redigit said:
TFwoE.png

One of the biggest complaints I get about Terraria is the hellish nightmare that is Inventory Management.

As you can see from the screenshot, I've made a few changes that should help out quite a bit. The first thing you'll probably notice is the different colored inventory windows. This is something that has been suggested a lot. (Exact color scheme subject to change.) This will allow you to more easily recognize the different item areas on the screen.

There is also a new trash can "slot." This will allow you to retrieve the last item that you have thrown away. You can also store a 41st item here in case of emergencies, just make sure to put it back in your inventory before leaving the game.

When looking inside a chest or your piggy bank, there are two new options: Loot All, and Quick Stack. Loot All is pretty self explanatory, but the Quick Stack option should make hording all your goodies a much easier task. This will look through every item in your inventory that can be stacked with an item in your chests, and place it there. The idea is that after returning from an expedition you can simply run past all your chests and click the button to quickly store all your new items, while keeping them organized the same way.

Lastly, albeit a small change, items that are picked up will now be added to your inventory from the bottom right, instead of the top left. This should help to keep your personal inventories a bit cleaner by allowing you to keep the items you always carry with you on the top, and items that need to be sorted through and sold/stored/trashed in the bottom.

(source)

Quality of Life details, but the screenshot has a few little gems too. First, he has an Angel Statue in his action bars (which could be meaningless) and I don't recognize the icon in the 4th row, 2nd column (green item with a 96 on it). Finally, looks like he has 14 mana stars and the current max is only 10.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Quality of Life details, but the screenshot has a few little gems too. First, he has an Angel Statue in his action bars (which could be meaningless) and I don't recognize the icon in the 4th row, 2nd column (green item with a 96 on it). Finally, looks like he has 14 mana stars and the current max is only 10.

*squints*

Wait... he has two Hermes Boots equipped. Those are stackable?

Retro

HaRyu said:
*squints*

Wait... he has two Hermes Boots equipped. Those are stackable?

Not at the moment, people at the Terraria forums have suggested they might be in 1.0.6, or he simply just picked up a ton of random stuff (he has unstacked potions and a ton of water scepters too) for the screenshot.

Some people are also saying the Jungle Armor's stats are down a bit.

Also worth mentioning: The thread is named "1.0.6 Progress (Part 1)", which means a part 2 is coming eventually. They also tend to post about updates relatively close to when they launch them (well, compared to say, MMOs where the patch notes trickle our for months before release).

I'm really hoping they're dropping content this weekend, the influx of people buying it on sale at steam and the holiday weekend are both really good reasons.

Edit: Somebody said "Can we have a Deposit All button to clear out everything not in our action bars?", to which Red replied "Done" and posted the following;

SKBvr.png

So it looks like moving chests will be easier.

Edit 2: Missed this earlier today, about patch 1.1 in the future. It's actually two posts in the same thread;

Redigit said:
Other than a complete overhaul of the magic system, there really isn't anything too interesting to talk about right now. 1.0.6 will mostly be small tweaks and changes in preparation for the big 1.1 update.

I don't want to give to many spoilers, but there are going to be a series of events that add several new ores(yes, cobalt is one of them), a new biome that we've dubbed as "the anti-corruption," and at least one new boss. The entire world will be put in to hard mode, and fighting back the corruption will be a lot more involving/rewarding. You'll probably want to avoid this unless you don't mind the possibility of your town being destroyed during invasions. >:|

My overall goal for 1.1 is to add a lot more character/world progression and provide some actual end game content. Hopefully after seeing how it turns out, you guys will cut me a bit of slack for the rocket boot change, haha. This is all quite a ways out, though.
(source)

Dunno what he means by "The entire world will be put in to Hard mode" and that last bit about your town being destroyed worries me.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Jungle Armor should be 19, not 13, a 6 point drop is significant. Probably in preparation for more different types of armor, so they have to rebalance the defense stats. At this point, not that really big of a deal, because I like wearing stuff for its looks, not the stats (although stats help!). Since I'm using the vanity slots, not that much of an issue.

New biome would mean we have to have a new world created. If that's the case, I may have to rotate the new and the current worlds, or we vote as to w/c days (or times of day) the new world and the current world are up. Luckily, that's for the 1.1 update, not the 1.06, so we probably have, at least, two weeks or so before that kicks in, minimum.

The whole "you'll want to avoid this" is a bit odd. Pretty sure he doesn't mean "avoid the patch", although he doesn't say if we can turn off the "hard mode" for the world. Maybe its an event you have to trigger. The defending the town bit sounds like fun, so we'd have to readjust our building techniques to include more defense. For some reason, I'm thinking "siege weapons" for the invasions.

Finally, intrigued by the last remark. It suggests that gimping the rocket boots was in preparation for whatever they have planned in 1.1, w/c seems to mean that having the boots run on mana would probably have been a bad idea for what they have coming. Just speculating here.

Retro

HaRyu said:
Jungle Armor should be 19, not 13, a 6 point drop is significant. Probably in preparation for more different types of armor, so they have to rebalance the defense stats.

Somebody bitched about the Dev playing hacked characters (Lulz?) and he replied;

Redigit said:
Increased mana pool is one of the perks of Jungle armor now.

Lower Defense, extra mana. Interesting.

Retro

Hmm...

Redigit said:
I noticed that the same thing has been happening to me with the new grapple key as well. It's just been fixed.

So now there will be a grapple button too, huh? Sweet.

I really want selective looting to be implemented soon. Even just as a small check-box which says "don't loot dirt/sand/clay/whatever". Forever getting annoyed by having excessive amounts of stuff I'll never use. Maybe in 1.0.7.

Enco

Updates are sounding good.

Am I to understand that the bin doesn't permanently delete items? If so, that sucks major balls. One of the most annoying things about this game is the disposal!

vareon

Enco said:
Updates are sounding good.

Am I to understand that the bin doesn't permanently delete items? If so, that sucks major balls. One of the most annoying things about this game is the disposal!

It will delete the item permanently, but you'll still be able to retrieve the last item you threw, I think.

paranoidfortean said:
not sure why i'm hesitating to pick this up.

It's on sale now...

I bought it the first week of release for full price and put in 24 hours in a few days time. I haven't played much since only because I know it will suck more time and it's on my Windows partition which is a bit out of the way for me normally.

Well worth full price, steal at the current sale price. If it goes on a daily deal for $5 or even less, it's a crime not to own.

Retro

paranoidfortean said:

Dunno either. For $8 (assuming it's still on sale, but $10 other wise) you get an amazing game with exploring, combat, building and looting. You support a two-man group of indie developers who have kept the game up to date on a near-weekly basis (the longest they've gone without adding content has been two weeks or so, with a lot of the early patches a week apart).

Even the first 40 hours or so of just tooling around by yourself is worth the price of admission, then you factor in PVP (simple now but they're talking about making it better soon), multiplayer building (more fun than it sounds at first, just take a look at our GAF server) and all of the things to come? Yeah, well worth the $10.

Retro said:
Dunno either. For $8 (assuming it's still on sale, but $10 other wise) you get an amazing game with exploring, combat, building and looting. You support a two-man group of indie developers who have kept the game up to date on a near-weekly basis (the longest they've gone without adding content has been two weeks or so, with a lot of the early patches a week apart).

Even the first 40 hours or so of just tooling around by yourself is worth the price of admission, then you factor in PVP (simple now but they're talking about making it better soon), multiplayer building (more fun than it sounds at first, just take a look at our GAF server) and all of the things to come? Yeah, well worth the $10.

yeah i bought it.

Derrick01

Banned
paranoidfortean said:

I got it a few days ago, right before the sale (ugh), and I'm loving it. It is definitely not newbie friendly and I'm still not 100% sure what I'm really doing but it is definitely a really fun game.

But you should wait until the last day of the sale to get it because people think it's likely that it will be on one of the daily deals.

edit: or not :lol.

At least you got a great game with tons of hours of content that honestly was a steal at $10 let alone cheaper.

Bad_Boy said:
i want this game on the vita so bad.

I dunno, mouse controls are so useful for this thing, I can't imagine playing it on a joypad setup.

The merchant has finally arrived. I'm making my way through this thing very slowly, it would seem. :p

Retro said:
Enemies can drop through wooden platforms the same as you. Just putting raw wood on your action bar will allow you to create solid walls they won't be able to pass through (you'll need to axe them down to get out yourself)

If you have enough wood, the first thing you'll want to do is make a worktable. You'll need to set it to one of your action bars and then click on the ground (or just above it) to place it. At a worktable, you can build many, many more things. Build a nice sized square room, fill in the background walls (craftable at a workbench) and a door and you'll be safe from everything unless there's a Blood Moon.
A good idea is to build your house on stilts, raise your door up like 3 tiles, or even have it floating. Zombies can't break into a door that's too far above them while you can simply jump in without a problem.

kennah

Even though it is on sale for 7.50 right now, I'd wait, odds are VERY good that it's going to go on sale in a daily deal sometime before July 10th.

Retro

paranoidfortean said:
i've played around an hour so far, and this game is fucking awesome

Glad you like it. When you consider $10 is a movie ticket, that really puts the price tag into perspective. This is the kind of game you can play for... well, as long as the content comes out, forever.

As for myself, I finished a few of the little projects I've had around my town; setting up a flower farm, re-organizing my alchemy/magic/accessory tower, and getting those last few items I hadn't gotten to drop yet.

Got the Robot Hat today from my little modified shark/jellyfish farm in the jungle and that was the last item for me. I officially have at least one of everything in the game that I know of.

So now I'm waiting for new content or inspiration.... but I've already invested +300 hours into the game, so I actually should be taking time off from it anyways.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
More new info!

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-0-6-progress-part-1-5-intermission.38494/

The TLDR version:

- More of a hello than a "what's coming in the next update" post, Blue says Redigit will be primarily giving the update info. Blue did drop some info though.

- They fixed some bugs (most importnat ones are Eater of Worlds now "flees" instead of "defeated", Night Owl potion actually works). There may be more bugs they fixed, but the ones given were just an example, and they said not to assume they've been "completely" fixed.

- More sound FX are added.

- Final bit was a pic of the inside of a dungeon, looks like a spiked ball and chain connected to the wall, I'm assuming its rotating on its axis. I'm "hoping" that this is something we can scavenge from the dungeon and use in our buildings. *insert evil laugh here*

Retro

HaRyu said:
- Final bit was a pic of the inside of a dungeon, looks like a spiked ball and chain connected to the wall, I'm assuming its rotating on its axis. I'm "hoping" that this is something we can scavenge from the dungeon and use in our buildings. *insert evil laugh here*

RHsZA.jpg

And somebody noted it looks similar in function to these;

R9Lw6.png

Retro

fifasnipe2224 said:
ok. I gave up. I bout the game and playing it now. Any know any good server to start playing on??

GAF server's address is at the top of the page, but really, you should make a single player world and get a feel for things yourself. Getting new, cool stuff is one of the joys of this game. If you hop on a server with an established base, you're likely to get more goodies than you normally would.

Then again, it can make the first few hours easier if you're not getting wrecked by slimes.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Happy July 4th everyone! And now, for today's trickle of info for the incoming update.

-Their graphics guy has a twitter now. http://twitter.com/#!/Tiyuri
-He mentions that there's new hairstyles. http://i.imgur.com/iybZL.png
-He also mentions that the Terraria team did a "balance playthrough". Lots of balance changes apparently coming to 1.06.
-Blue mentions on his twitter that you can't accidentally "drop" an item in-between the squares of the inventory screen in the new update.

Finally, it may not be anything, but Tiyuri's twitter avatar is possibly a new costume/armor for Terraria? It could just be a custom sprite for his twitter avatar, so don't assume too much.

Retro

Seems like everyone is just holding their breath until 1.0.6, so now's a good time to show off the crap I've been doing in Sanctuary lately.

uaaOa.jpg

First, I cloned the watermill I built on the GAF server since I liked it a lot and I didn't want it to get BLOWN UP AGAIN. This is very near to the starting area, so if I ever put my world online, that's where people will spawn. Instead of the big temple, however, I decided to go with a simple little fortress and some trees on a little island.

lNFWS.jpg

The land ends again right past those trees, and in the middle of the lake is a little cabin with a dock. If they ever decide to add quest NPCs, one can fit nicely out here. There's another small cabin on the opposite shore to the right too, which sits at the top of a gentle, forested slope. That eventually leads to...

9YMps.jpg

The Empress Bridge, which spans a huge swath of corruption. It's actually quite large (as you can see in the overview below) but I wanted to just grab a close-up shot so you can see the pattern on it. I'm not sure this picture does it justice either because the upper portions are bluebrick and the lower portions are green. The Legs are greybrick wall too, but that's because I was absolutely sick of farming dungeon bricks.

Years ago, I used to spend hours dicking around in Bryce3D making cool shit with the limited modeling tools. I made a huge bridge once, so that's where the name comes from. If you follow this massive bridge over the corruption, you eventually come to...

rxp5P.jpg

The Tower of the Wind, which doesn't have any purpose now except as a monument to my building insanity and a springboard to a floating island (above, which has nothing on it). The small little rocky area leads to...

fFdsb.jpg

The Whispering Mines. Otherwise just a fancy way into the hillside above (and the corruption below). I did grab a screenshot of it because I wanted to show off the minecart tracks I made (copper bricks and wood). I'll have to get some light in there to show them off better later.

So, here's my entire town... which runs from almost the entire right edge of the map (past the lighthouse is a screen or two of open ocean) all the way to the center (where players spawn). It's THAT BIG, though large parts of it are forest. Click the above image to see a larger, clearer version with everything labeled. Or click here.

atre324

jesus, you are a terraria god

HaRyu said:
Happy July 4th everyone! And now, for today's trickle of info for the incoming update.

-Their graphics guy has a twitter now. http://twitter.com/#!/Tiyuri
-He mentions that there's new hairstyles. http://i.imgur.com/iybZL.png
-He also mentions that the Terraria team did a "balance playthrough". Lots of balance changes apparently coming to 1.06.
-Blue mentions on his twitter that you can't accidentally "drop" an item in-between the squares of the inventory screen in the new update.

Finally, it may not be anything, but Tiyuri's twitter avatar is possibly a new costume/armor for Terraria? It could just be a custom sprite for his twitter avatar, so don't assume too much.

And yeah, his icon definitely looks like a nyan cat costume. I want it!

Retro

Sir Fragula said:
Great work, Retro!

Thanks. I do have to confess to using a third party map editor to do two things, though; move my floating island (before, it was above my green Tower, but I wanted it out away from my city) and rough in the background walls for the wooden supports in the mines and the silver banding in the Tower of the Wind... I think I also moved some original growth trees to areas that I had inadvertently stripped clear.

In my defense, however, I would like to add that the program I use cannot edit chests (in fact, it erases anything in them) and crashes at the drop of a hat. It's much more reliable (and relaxing) to build everything by hand... but certain things I just had to use one for. If anyone is wondering, both the wooden supports and brick banding were originally in screenshots other people built and I asked them how they managed the effect. Once I saw those mine-supports, I had to have them... they're just too damn cool.

Anyways, he's a better shot of the minecart track, using Copper Bricks, Wood and Wood platforms;

Ua0D4.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
First, I cloned the watermill I built on the GAF server since I liked it a lot and I didn't want it to get BLOWN UP AGAIN.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

For the record, it wasn't me, I was just on the server when it happened... and I saw the damage. :p

Which brings us to today's protip:
"If you don't plan on using explosives anytime soon, take them off the main toolbar."

Retro

HaRyu said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

For the record, it wasn't me, I was just on the server when it happened... and I saw the damage. :p

Which brings us to today's protip:

Heh, It wasn't that hard to fix it, honestly, because somehow Hydeout luckily didn't blast anything below the waterline.

Some news from Blue's twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Terraria_Blue/status/88621040074358784

"Added chances for Critical Hits, also the game now saves the last 7 IP addresses you joined for quick rejoining of favorite servers!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom